• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

brain_stew said:
Its a year or two old and I don't think they sell them anymore which is why I got it so cheap. Its a 520w PSU (with two 15a, 12v rails and two PCIe 6 pin connectors) and yeah, its just about the best design for a PSU in terms of layout I've ever seen. Don't know why they stopped using the design, as it was a great differentiater, perhaps they were too expensive to make?

After looking at your case MWS, a GTX 260 is a definite no go, its far too big.

Edit: Damn apparently my PSU used to retail for $160!! Sure, that's 3 years ago when it launched but either way, it was still a bargain at a mere £30 delivered.

From what I read on the net it should fit, unless it is longer than 10.6. I have the inside of my case setup for a video card (removed HDD bay, moved HDD to 5.25 bay cooler, all cables routed away from left side of case) so it should be ok. Once SSD become affordable I am going to move the store HDD outside of the case which should free up a bay since the SSD drive is so small it can be stuck anywhere.

Lanbox Lite? Got one arriving tomorrow, so I'm gonna migrate my build from my Mini P180 into it to make room for a printer.

Happy with it?

Um..it's cool, I was surpised at how big it is, MUCH bigger than my old MSI SFF case. The only problem I have is routing all the fan cables and the PSU cables. I was disapointed with the cables on my modular PSU, I thought they would be much more manageable. I pretty much just wire tied everything together and left it hovering over the CPU cooler, not really sure what else to do with them because I don't have an open bay to shove them into.

Milpool

MWS Natural said:
The only problem I have is routing all the fan cables and the PSU cables. I was disapointed with the cables on my modular PSU, I thought they would be much more manageable.

Yeah that sucks, had the same problem on my last SFF build when using a modular PSU. Silverstone sell short cable sets for their PSU's seperately, hopefully other brands will follow suit.

Milpool said:
Yeah that sucks, had the same problem on my last SFF build when using a modular PSU. Silverstone sell short cable sets for their PSU's seperately, hopefully other brands will follow suit.

Yeah its really a problem with the ones that come out of the PSU that you can't detach. They really should come up with a better solution than what is available.

well guys, i can't go through all the pagesbut i went back about 20.

Is there a computer i can build...rather a case/mobo/cpu/gpu combo i can get for $500 that can play mostly everything?

Darklord

Banned
Ok, after delays and revisions about 50 times. I'm finally ready to buy my new computer.

I just want to check here one last time to see if everything is in order. What do you think?

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz/ 8MB/ 4.8GT QPI/ Quad Core)
Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GPU: MSI N260GTX 896mb
RAM: OCZ 6GB (2GB x3) DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum
PSU: Corsair Micro CMPSU-620HX
Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1 CM690
DVD: Pioneer DVR-216BK
OS: Vista Home Premium 64bit DVD OEM with Service Pack 1
Cooling: Noctua - NH-U12P-1366

The S-Word said:
well guys, i can't go through all the pagesbut i went back about 20.

Is there a computer i can build...rather a case/mobo/cpu/gpu combo i can get for $500 that can play mostly everything?

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16438/2

Right in the op.

I'd recommend adding this $20 cooler so that you can OC that E5200, should be able to get 3.4ghz or so, no bother. I run mine at 3.5ghz with the same cooler.

If you absolutely will not OC (although I highly recommend it) considering how easy and risk free it is) then bump up the processor to an E7400.

That looks an excellent build Darklord, you'd really struggle to find a much better bang for buck build.

I finally booted up Crysis (well Warhead) with my GTX 260 and I'm stunned. Even at 1080p with a custom config that gives enthusiast level quality I'm getting a very smooth framerate, barely ever dips below 30fps.

GTA4 as well, has seen a marked improvement at 1080p, the extra memory and bandwidth over my old 4850 really shows. These cards are just incredible value.

AwRy108

Darklord said:
Ok, after delays and revisions about 50 times. I'm finally ready to buy my new computer.

I just want to check here one last time to see if everything is in order. What do you think?

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz/ 8MB/ 4.8GT QPI/ Quad Core)
Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
GPU: MSI N260GTX 896mb
RAM: OCZ 6GB (2GB x3) DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum
PSU: Corsair Micro CMPSU-620HX
Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1 CM690
DVD: Pioneer DVR-216BK
OS: Vista Home Premium 64bit DVD OEM with Service Pack 1
Cooling: Noctua - NH-U12P-1366

Looks great, but couple things IF you're not ever planning on going SLI:

1) PSU doesn't necessarily need to be that hefty, as long as it has stable 12v rails
2) mobo is a bit overkill
3) 6GB of RAM isn't needed--4GB would do just fine

...however, your list makes me think you might be considering SLI at some point. My suggestions were based on saving you a few bucks; but if you might go SLI in the future, then just leave your list as it is.

I have the 260GTX (eVGA) and I love it; but the 285's are quite a bit better, so go for one of them IF you can afford it.

Darklord

Banned
AwRy108 said:
Looks great, but couple things IF you're not ever planning on going SLI:

1) PSU doesn't necessarily need to be that hefty, as long as it has stable 12v rails
2) mobo is a bit overkill
3) 6GB of RAM isn't needed--4GB would do just fine

...however, your list makes me think you might be considering SLI at some point. My suggestions were based on saving you a few bucks; but if you might go SLI in the future, then just leave your list as it is.

I have the 260GTX (eVGA) and I love it; but the 285's are quite a bit better, so go for one of them IF you can afford it.

The mobo is actually the cheapest one that isn't trash(that I can find). It also has dropped in price recently(same with the RAM and the GPU dropped $60 yesterday!).
The RAM originally was 4gb but was recommended by a few to go for 6gb and I hear vista loves more ram.

Not sure about SLI yet but I'd like it keep that option open.

I had a budget of $3000. In the end it was $2500 including shipping and it being built(I don't want to risk doing it myself, not a whole PC).

As for the 285's, I'd like one but they cost even more than a new 4890HD at the moment. It's over $600 here. :\

Darklord

Banned
Actually, is a 4890HD worth the extra money? The 260GTX is $349.00, the 4890HD is $465.00?

Edit: Dammit, I meant to edit my last post. Sorry.

Darklord said:
Actually, is a 4890HD worth the extra money? The 260GTX is $349.00, the 4890HD is $465.00?

I don't think it is personally, no. What resolution do you play at? My GTX 260 mops up anything I throw at it when playing in 1080p, including Crysis.

Darklord

Banned
brain_stew said:
I don't think it is personally, no. What resolution do you play at? My GTX 260 mops up anything I throw at it when playing in 1080p, including Crysis.

I'd be playing at 1080p as well, so I guess stick with the 260 then?

Darklord said:
I'd be playing at 1080p as well, so I guess stick with the 260 then?

Its upto you really. Is an extra 10-15% performance worth the upgrade cost to you?

What I have found though is that performance is much more consistent on the Nvidia side, a few games like TLR and GTA4 just didn't perform how you'd expect when I was using ATI hardware.

Darklord

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its upto you really. Is an extra 10-15% performance worth the upgrade cost to you?

What I have found though is that performance is much more consistent on the Nvidia side, a few games like TLR and GTA4 just didn't perform how you'd expect when I was using ATI hardware.

I do prefer Nvidia cards. I found them better than ATi but really, I won't pick one brand over another. I heard the 4890HD can be compared to the GTX285 which costs a lot more. Dunno if thats true but it could be worth it in the long run, I'm not sure yet.

Darklord

Banned
Coen said:
4890HD is more a competitor to the newly released GTX275

a 275? I didn't even know they existed. I haven't seen any on the sites I've been looking at. Not sure if they even are released here.:lol

YagizY

OK, I REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED SOME HELP!!!

This isn't so much asking about what computer parts I should get but rather a computer part problem I think I am having. Here it goes:

I normally don't keep an eye on my CPU temps. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe (Yeah its pretty old). I've begun to notice that I was having a lot of slow down issues and and I noticed my CPU usage would sometime be erratic. I ran a AVG virus scan/spyware scan/defragged and checked my hard disk for any errors. From time to time depending on what I'm doing my computer will go from 2% CPU usage to 100%. For instance, I can no longer import CD's in iTunes because the CPU usage jumps up to 100%.

My processor runs at 60 Celsius in an idle state when I'm not really running any programs. However, both cores jumped to about 84 Celsius while I was importing a CD. This doesn't make any sense. I have another computer with an Atom processor and it has no problems importing cd's.

Am I having some type of overheating issue? I built this computer nearly 2 years ago and it has a stock fan for the CPU.

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe @ 2.13 gHz
Geforce 8800 GTS
4 gb of ram
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition.

Oh yeah I'm using Core Temp 0.99.4 to measure temps. Sometimes when I do something as simple of close firefox it will quickly jump from 60 C to 74 C and then back down to 60 C, all within 2 seconds.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Waikis said:
Damn xtremesystems is still down , anyone knows whether Asus p6t Deluxe is a good overclocker?
It is one of the best OC'ers.
Darklord said:
I do prefer Nvidia cards. I found them better than ATi but really, I won't pick one brand over another. I heard the 4890HD can be compared to the GTX285 which costs a lot more. Dunno if thats true but it could be worth it in the long run, I'm not sure yet.
I have bashed the 4890HD before, but now I realize the 4890HD comes underclocked. I would say it is worth its price judging by benchmarks and taking the vast OC'ing potential into consideration.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Darklord said:

According to the Tom's tests say it's not worth it.

One thing I'm so pleased to have back is Nvidia's vastly superior profile's implementation. I'm using nHancer and its much more conveniant having the profile automatically kick in when it detects a specific exe running.

nHancer is just much easier to use, and the extra options are a nice bonus. Enabling combined supersampling 2x2 + 4x msaa in Outrun 2006 is a sight to behold! Oh and the card still never drops a single frame ofcourse despite it being the equivalent of running the game at 3840x2160 with 4xmsaa!! :lol That's 9x the resolution of the upcoming Outrun "HD" on consoles.

Having all this extra bandwidth, memory and IQ adjustments to play with is like a dream come true for any IQ whore like me.:D

Coen

Darklord said:
a 275? I didn't even know they existed. I haven't seen any on the sites I've been looking at. Not sure if they even are released here.:lol

Here's a nice round-up of some important reviews.

I wouldn't actually recommend either one of those cards though. With the system you're building, you're going to want to upgrade to a DX11 card some time next year. You'd be better of buying a competent GTX260 216 or a 1gig 4870 now and saving some money for that future upgrade.

zbarron

Darklord said:
The RAM originally was 4gb but was recommended by a few to go for 6gb and I hear vista loves more ram.
Tri Channel RAM is your only option so it's good you went with 6 instead of 4.

Waikis said:
Damn xtremesystems is still down , anyone knows whether Asus p6t Deluxe is a good overclocker?
I own the Asus P6T regular version and it lets me overclock real well. As long as I keep my DDR3 1600 RAM at 1600 or below I can overclock pretty high. The problem is I am using the stock cooler and while I can get to 3.6 easily, I don't like the temps it gives me. One problem I have with my board is the place where you plug the case fan in is not near the back of the board where my fan is. Is there an extension like cord for that wire I can buy?

Edit: When I put a room fan directly next to the PC I was able to get it to 4.0Ghz just using the automatic settings. With a good cooling system 4.0 is easily attainable with my i7 920 and an Asus P6T.

GAF, I need PC assistance. Recently, my graphics card has been doing some weird pixelation in regards to dark areas of the screen, most noticeably on thumbnail images and flash videos. It's putting odd pixels, such as neon green and white. It's very distracting, especially in Left 4 Dead. Is my graphics card dead, or is there any way to repair it?

It's an NVidia GeForce 9600 GT, if that helps any. I'd be glad to answer any other questions if it'll help.

zbarron

RocketDarkness said:
GAF, I need PC assistance. Recently, my graphics card has been doing some weird pixelation in regards to dark areas of the screen, most noticeably on thumbnail images and flash videos. It's putting odd pixels, such as neon green and white. It's very distracting, especially in Left 4 Dead. Is my graphics card dead, or is there any way to repair it?

It's an NVidia GeForce 9600 GT, if that helps any. I'd be glad to answer any other questions if it'll help.
Is it overclocked at all? It sounds like it is either overheating or the video cable isn't in all the way. When I got this card I got sparkly pixels on my screen and thought the card had heat issues so I call up EVGA and realize that the cord just wasn't in tight enough. I felt so silly.

RocketDarkness said:

Download ATI Tool and run its "scan for artifecats" test. If it fails then it may be overheating or running at a clock that the chip can't handle.

Have you had a look at the card, any dust bulding up? Does your case have decent airflow?

Download Riva Tuner and let its hardware monitoring run whilst playing a game. Then check to see what sort of temps. you get during gameplay, we'll be able to let you know if they're too high.

I've never purchased an operating system (I'm about to do so from NewEgg) by itself, so before I commit, I just want to make sure I'm buying the appropriate version. It's an oem for system builders, and there's a disclaimer stating that software of this nature is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale...well, I don't plan on doing any of that.

Cheeto

Lv99 Slacker said:
I've never purchased an operating system (I'm about to do so from NewEgg) by itself, so before I commit, I just want to make sure I'm buying the appropriate version. It's an oem for system builders, and there's a disclaimer stating that software of this nature is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale...well, I don't plan on doing any of that.
You can only activate OEM copies on one machine, you can't activate that copy again if you upgrade something that requires a reinstall or build a new PC. That's basically all you need to know.

Cheeto said:
You can only activate OEM copies on one machine, you can't activate that copy again if you upgrade something that requires a reinstall or build a new PC. That's basically all you need to know.

So, if I get a virus and need to reformat, I'm screwed?

Minsc

Gold Member
Lv99 Slacker said:
So, if I get a virus and need to reformat, I'm screwed?

If you build a new computer or replace your motherboard you're screwed. If you're just reinstalling on the same hardware you'll be fine.

Is there still some sort of threshold of # of parts you can upgrade before MS considers you to have a new machine and you need a new copy of windows? I remember reading people would upgrade 4 or 5 parts, and then windows no longer recognized the machine as authentic.

If you buy a retail copy of the OS, then you can transfer to as many different machines as you want.

Minsc said:
Is there still some sort of threshold of # of parts you can upgrade before MS considers you to have a new machine and you need a new copy of windows? I remember reading people would upgrade 4 or 5 parts, and then windows no longer recognized the machine as authentic.

If you buy a retail copy of the OS, then you can transfer to as many different machines as you want.

Ugh. Retail is so expensive. Actually, I haven't built my system yet and once it's built, I don't see myself making any major upgrades for quite some time (quite some time = five years at the least).

If you build a new computer or replace your motherboard you're screwed. If you're just reinstalling on the same hardware you'll be fine.

Thanks for clearing this matter up. I'll go ahead and purchase that oem copy now.

zbarron

Speaking of OEM OS's I got Vista 32-Bit and 64-bit through the Windows Feedback program a while back and I don't know if they gave me an OEM version or not. When I changed my motherboard it authenticated but I don't know if I should avoid ever reinstalling the OS again.

Milpool

Lanbox arrived today, everything fits fine, didn't have to remove the HDD cage to accommodate the 4870.

2ex0imx.jpg

Replaced my Thermalright cpu cooler with that Scythe Shuriken since it was too tall.

Slacker

Darklord said:

Dumb question time: Am I missing something? the 260GTX is $350? Isn't it more like $200?

Also, I got my parts in last week from Newegg. Thanks everyone for the help, especially brain_stew. I slapped in the GTX 260 and the CPU cooler, and overclocked my 2.13GHz C2D up to 3.2GHz, and it's like buttah. I've tried every demo I can find that came out over the last year and the system is handling everything like a champ. Even Crysis looks sweet! :D

Thanks again guys!

godhandiscen

Slacker said:
Dumb question time: Am I missing something? the 260GTX is $350? Isn't it more like $200?

Also, I got my parts in last week from Newegg. Thanks everyone for the help, especially brain_stew. I slapped in the GTX 260 and the CPU cooler, and overclocked my 2.13GHz C2D up to 3.2GHz, and it's like buttah. I've tried every demo I can find that came out over the last year and the system is handling everything like a champ. Even Crysis looks sweet! :D

Thanks again guys!
He is talking about AUS prices.

Cheeto said:

Not strictly true no, it is only valid for one PC. A new motherboard constitutes a "new pc" any other component can be changed although if you change a lot you may need to call Microsoft to get it reactivated.

Ugrade versions are fine for clean installs and last a lifetime's worth of PCs. All you need to do for a fresh install is install a trial first, then "upgrade" from that. If you're a student or have a close friend that is a student then you should be able to get a cheap copy from the Ultiamte Steal.

$65 Vista Ultimate for US students.

£41 for UK students.

This version is NOT restricted to one PC.

Slacker said:

Thanks again guys!

Glad you like the performance, just got my GTX 260 in the last couple of days as well and boy do these things kick ass! :D

Oh, and welcome to the overclocking club, gaining a free 50% performance upgrade from your CPU is hella satisfying. Once you take your first plunge into overclocking its impossible to ever give it up.

MWS Natural said:
Hmm....making me think I should just wait for the DX11 cards...I wonder will they be 45nm?

The first round will be high end only like they always are, so unless you're after a $400, card, no I wouldn't recommend waiting. DirectX 10 hasn't even been adopted industry wide yet and its a 3 year old api, its going to be at least 2 or 3 years before DirectX 11 is relevant.

Just pick up a $100 - $200 card now (or in the next few moths) and you're sure to be happy with the performance. ATI's recent resurgence has caused some massive downward pressure on pricing resulting in incredible value in this segment.

YagizY

YagizY said:
OK, I REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED SOME HELP!!!

This isn't so much asking about what computer parts I should get but rather a computer part problem I think I am having. Here it goes:

I normally don't keep an eye on my CPU temps. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe (Yeah its pretty old). I've begun to notice that I was having a lot of slow down issues and and I noticed my CPU usage would sometime be erratic. I ran a AVG virus scan/spyware scan/defragged and checked my hard disk for any errors. From time to time depending on what I'm doing my computer will go from 2% CPU usage to 100%. For instance, I can no longer import CD's in iTunes because the CPU usage jumps up to 100%.

My processor runs at 60 Celsius in an idle state when I'm not really running any programs. However, both cores jumped to about 84 Celsius while I was importing a CD. This doesn't make any sense. I have another computer with an Atom processor and it has no problems importing cd's.

Am I having some type of overheating issue? I built this computer nearly 2 years ago and it has a stock fan for the CPU.

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe @ 2.13 gHz
Geforce 8800 GTS
4 gb of ram
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition.

Oh yeah I'm using Core Temp 0.99.4 to measure temps. Sometimes when I do something as simple of close firefox it will quickly jump from 60 C to 74 C and then back down to 60 C, all within 2 seconds.

^^^ Anyone?!

godhandiscen

Maybe your sensors are not working properly, I don't know if there is any way to test them, but look into it. Also, I would try cleaning inside, get rid of all the dust, and then observe all the temperatures during idle. Reformat if possible. If everything fails, reapply the heat sink. I have never seen that problem, but those are the things I would try.

YagizY said:
^^^ Anyone?!

Those temps aren't at all encouraging. Have you tried cleaning out your CPU cooler of any dust? You might want to look into reseating the cooler with some fresh thermal paste. What's your case airflow like?

I do suspect it could be an OS problem so try a fresh install of Windows or even boot from a Linux Live CD if you don't want to do that yet to see if the issue arises when not using your current Windows install.

YagizY

In the past 2-3 weeks I've done 3 fresh installs of the OS thinking that may be the problem. I'm going to open the case up soon and clean it out and reseat the heatsink and apply some thermal paste. Hopefully that will fix things up. I'm thinking it can't be because of a virus or something like that because it happens even after fresh installs.

It seems like any time I do anything that primarily uses processing power things come to a crash hault.

YagizY said:
In the past 2-3 weeks I've done 3 fresh installs of the OS thinking that may be the problem. I'm going to open the case up soon and clean it out and reseat the heatsink and apply some thermal paste. Hopefully that will fix things up. I'm thinking it can't be because of a virus or something like that because it happens even after fresh installs.

It seems like any time I do anything that primarily uses processing power things come to a crash hault.

Could be your HDD perhaps. Have you tried installing Windows to a different drive?

Zyzyxxz

gamerecks said:
Got my 2nd 4870 1gb for crossfire this weekend. I can say for the time being, my computer is complete. I love you pc and pc gaming. Im sorry I left you.

rest of the specs? I have a 512mb version but I'm not sure if I wanna go CF since I have a Phenom 920 @ 3.3 ghz and so far no game except Crysis has given me any low FPS.

No plans to go 1900x1200 for a while so I'm considering getting a 4890 and probably sell my 4870 512mb in case I got for a higher resolution.

Zyzyxxz said:
rest of the specs? I have a 512mb version but I'm not sure if I wanna go CF since I have a Phenom 920 @ 3.3 ghz and so far no game except Crysis has given me any low FPS.

No plans to go 1900x1200 for a while so I'm considering getting a 4890 and probably sell my 4870 512mb in case I got for a higher resolution.

A 512MB framebuffer is going to be a huge bottleneck in such a setup, can't say I'd recommend it

Metalic Sand said:
So i was checking out CPU-Z and i noticed my DRAM freq. is at 670Mhz. That doesnt seem right at all? My ram is rated at 1333, So i changed it to that in the BIOs and nothing changes.

What can i do to fix it and get it to its 1333mhz rating?

CPU-Z pic: http://i44.tinypic.com/2rqdcuf.jpg

DDR3 = 3x clock frequency

So 667 x 3 = ~1.8GHz, which sounds about right.

Zyzyxxz said:

AM3 720 BE OC'd to 3.5 ghz
4 GB of DDR3 1066(I think)
Vista Ultimate 64 edition

I have a dell monitor that does 1920x1080 natively, so I run everything at that resolution. Having the second card makes things more smooth.

Top Bottom