• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Tideas

Banned
zoku88 said:
You're right, triple channel increases latency in most cases and the extra bandwidth doesn't help.

But 6GB is > than 4GB, though...

according to that link, 6gb isn't > than 3gb when doing single task. And when doing multi-tasking, its not even that greater, lol

M.Bluth said:
Went to pick up the N520 today, lucky me they sold out =___= (sure there were only a few to begin with, but come on!)

Me:"So when will the next shipment arrive?"
Shop:"We have no idea, sir. You can buy the Zalman, it arrived yesterday" -__-

I had no choice but to pick up the Zlaman CNPS9900, picked up AS5 too, will install it tomorrow.
Now, I wanna make sure I have all what I will need. In case the thermal paste is caked on the CPU, can I remove it with alcohol wipes or nail polish remover?

I'll start reading this bit-tech guide on overclocking Core i7, if anyone got more guides or articles on the subject I will really appreciate it :)

I used nail polish remover and cotton wool pads on mine. Make sure its acetone based and doesn't have any nasty dies or perfumes or anything in it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
brain_stew said:
Vista x64 LOVES RAM. The more you throw at it the snappier your system will run, its memory management is miles beyond XP. Running 6GB here, having all my major programs load up in half a second thanks to SuperFetch is pretty nice.

Now, that brings me to another issue of sorts. Right now, I'm running the Windows 7 beta which is set to expire here sooner or later (it auto verified I think). When it does, should I just go upgrade to Vista or go back down to Xp and wait?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hi GAF. Couple questions:

I currently have a Core i7 920 system with 9gb RAM and a Radeon HD4850 512 card. My Dell monitor is native 1920x1200 and I'd like to have a system that can make gaming at that res a reality(outside of WoW).

I am basically asking if it is viable or worthwhile to upgrade my Radeon card to a Crossfire setup by adding an additional 4850. Or switching to a 4870 or newer card? Or even going the Nvidia route(I have no idea where the market stands on superiority right now). Is the 4850 still solid enough that any upgrade will not be beneficial at this time?

Thanks. Also, I need mouse recommendations. I'd prefer a wireless mouse, and am thinking of either the Microsoft Explorer Blutrack, or the Logitech MX1100. Thanks again!

Just to add about monitors I been using a samsung lcd tv as a monitor for everything, tv, 360 and pc for years (since I live in a small flat) and it's scaler is quite good, never had a blurry picture running 720p from my 360 and the native resolution is 1400 x 900. Just a shame it's starting to get dead pixels now after a solid 3 years of use.

brain_stew said:
Ah didn't know that, presumed you'd be playing at a lower res. given your past GPU.

Taking that into account, I'd say this is worth the extra cash:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150361

Sure its about $90 more but you ARE getting a lot more performance for your money here as well as a lifetime warranty and a game which is a lot more expensive at retail. Its upto you really, they're both great cards, but the 4830 IS targetted more at 1680x1050 and below, where it'll cope just fine. Its lack of bandwidth and memory is going to cause a lot of problems at 1920x1200 though it just wasn't built for that resolution really. Still a huge upgrade and will run a fair few games t 1920x1200 and everything at 1440x900.

The other two component upgrades still stand though.

Oh, and for what its worth the GTX 260 is a heck of a clocker, got about a 20% OC going on mine and it tears up 1080P, its really a beast. Really easy to do with EVGA Precision and ATITool/Furmark for stability testing.

Vista x64 LOVES RAM. The more you throw at it the snappier your system will run, its memory management is miles beyond XP. Running 6GB here, having all my major programs load up in half a second thanks to SuperFetch is pretty nice.

I'll see what I get for my bday this weekend. I might to the gtx 260 so i dont have to worry for another couple years

Minsc

Gold Member
Kintaro said:
Now, that brings me to another issue of sorts. Right now, I'm running the Windows 7 beta which is set to expire here sooner or later (it auto verified I think). When it does, should I just go upgrade to Vista or go back down to Xp and wait?

Didn't the RC come out a few days ago? Perhaps you can move to that somehow... I can't wait for Windows 7 to get released, I hope it's before September.

Brandon F said:
Hi GAF. Couple questions:

I currently have a Core i7 920 system with 9gb RAM and a Radeon HD4850 512 card. My Dell monitor is native 1920x1200 and I'd like to have a system that can make gaming at that res a reality(outside of WoW).

I am basically asking if it is viable or worthwhile to upgrade my Radeon card to a Crossfire setup by adding an additional 4850. Or switching to a 4870 or newer card? Or even going the Nvidia route(I have no idea where the market stands on superiority right now). Is the 4850 still solid enough that any upgrade will not be beneficial at this time?

Thanks. Also, I need mouse recommendations. I'd prefer a wireless mouse, and am thinking of either the Microsoft Explorer Blutrack, or the Logitech MX1100. Thanks again!

4890, no question.

There's a good reason gamers stay the hell away from wireless mice. Logitech MX518 ets my 100% backing btw.

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
4890, no question.

There's a good reason gamers stay the hell away from wireless mice. Logitech MX518 ets my 100% backing btw.

A penny for your thoughts on the review of the MS wireless mouse I posted on the last page. Said something about extremely reduced lag. I've gone back and forth, and currently have a wired Logitech, but I really like the look of that MS keyboard and the customizable sensitivity on the mouse.

Brandon F

brain_stew said:
4890, no question.

I'm rarely playing twitch games on my PC anymore though. WoW, NWN2, Witcher, Crysis(I use a 360 pad for that), and DoW2 are currently on my system. I want a wireless mostly so I can do some easy couch playing when I feel like hooking the PC to my home theater.

Also, I'll look into the 4890. Worthwhile to go crossfire with my current 4850? Or just do a 4890 solo? I only have a 550w PSU that might need updating as well.

Kintaro said:

Kintaro, looks like Windows 7 RC will be publically available around May 5, which should give you another big chunk of time without having to go down to Vista/XP.

Nif

Nif said:
I'm such a dumbass. I have an Antec P180 with the top vent, and I just spilled water over my desk and straight into the case while it was on. :( Screen went garbled and I think I heard cracking before I could get the computer off.

I just built it a few months ago, too. =( Hoping it's only the GPU that's fucked, if anything. The motherboard was wet, and the GPU stopped most of it from dripping further onto the PSU and other cards. It dripped over the CPU's heatsink and under the motherboard, too, but the heatsink on the CPU is on pretty tight, and I don't think anything happened to it.

I've dried it all out as best I could, and put it under my desk lamp so anything I missed might dry faster. Don't think I'll touch it till tomorrow at the soonest.

Update: Got all the water out and let it dry over night. Works like a charm now. :) Thanks, all.

Spayro

Fredescu said:
If you've installed a new and reasonably powerful video card, it could be that your power supply is not up to the task. Post your specs including model and wattage of power supply.
Radeon 4870 1GB
Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHZ
3070 RAM

and a G-Pro P-4 500W ATX12V (DR-B500E)
that's all I know, I think. I know it's a bad CPU.

Burger

brain_stew said:
In theory, yes, but support is often iffy. Thankfully that GTX 260 will cope with 1080p just fine, especially if you spend a couple of hours OCing, it should manage a 15 - 20% OC no bother. Modern TVs generally have half decent scalers now, so if your card can't manage the game, just set it to 720p and it should look fine. Any console game you've played will ahve been doing this anyway, often rendering at a much lower resolution, so its going to look as good as that in an absolute worst case scenario.

I actually run Crysis and GTA 4 at 1080p on my GTX 260, so yeah, nothing to worry about really.

If the 260 can do Crysis at 1080p then you are right, I won't have to worry about it :)

Thanks for your (and others) help.

Fireblend

Banned
So, I'm having some trouble right now. My laptop died, and as a student, that's awful news considering I've got tons of projects to finish and as a CS student I need some power to go with it. Now, I've been planning to get a decent computer for a while, but now it's become urgent. I've been browsing newegg for a suitable prebuilt system I could order, but I have no idea right now what I should look for.

I have a ~$1300 budget, for a computer not counting the screen. I want to play games decently, so I'd definitely want a quad-core; an i7 if possible but I see my chances getting down. I'd also like a decent GPU for gaming, I would be using a 21' screen max, so I have no idea what would be enough for that as evidently GTXs would be overkill (and overbudget).

This is what I've found so far:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107877

I have heard some bad things about HP though, and I'm scared to order and get a non-working system or something. It sounds pretty good, but then again I don't know about the GPU and, again those HP horror stories sound intimidating.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113092

This one I asked about yesterday, but was ignored it seems :p I still have absolutely no idea what GTS 150 is. If someone has any idea of how it performs I'd be pleased to know, as since it is a i7 I'd be leaning towards this one, again, I'd be playing on a 19'/21' screen max.

Or, if anyone has another suggestion, that'd be welcome too. Here's hoping this post doesn't get ignored too.

Oh and also, if I order one of these, and pay for fedex overnight shipping, does that mean I will be getting the system the next day?

Brandon F

Fireblend said:
So, I'm having some trouble right now. My laptop died, and as a student, that's awful news considering I've got tons of projects to finish and as a CS student I need some power to go with it. Now, I've been planning to get a decent computer for a while, but now it's become urgent. I've been browsing newegg for a suitable prebuilt system I could order, but I have no idea right now what I should look for.

I have a ~$1300 budget, for a computer not counting the screen. I want to play games decently, so I'd definitely want a quad-core; an i7 if possible but I see my chances getting down. I'd also like a decent GPU for gaming, I would be using a 21' screen max, so I have no idea what would be enough for that as evidently GTXs would be overkill (and overbudget).

This is what I've found so far:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107877

I have heard some bad things about HP though, and I'm scared to order and get a non-working system or something. It sounds pretty good, but then again I don't know about the GPU and, again those HP horror stories sound intimidating.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113092

This one I asked about yesterday, but was ignored it seems :p I still have absolutely no idea what GTS 150 is. If someone has any idea of how it performs I'd be pleased to know, as since it is a i7 I'd be leaning towards this one, again, I'd be playing on a 19'/21' screen max.

Or, if anyone has another suggestion, that'd be welcome too. Here's hoping this post doesn't get ignored too.

Oh and also, if I order one of these, and pay for fedex overnight shipping, does that mean I will be getting the system the next day?

I actually own the Gateway FX6800 PC you linked. Only difference is that mine came with a Radeon HD4850 card instead of the NVIDIA GTS 150(which I know nothing about either, but hey it's a 1GB card!).

The PC itself is solid, whisper quiet with a great case design that makes any internal upgrades a cinch. Some of the added features are superfluous and unnecessary(how many memory card type readers does one REALLY need??)

Been very dependable so far and runs almost anything I throw at it extremely well. Even Crysis is very dependable on Ultra settings 1440x900(with slight dips if you move the res up). Dawn of War 2 just screams with everything maxed.

I've been happy with it and am considering slapping a Radeon 4890 into it soon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Take Out Bandit said:
Hey guys!

Since console gaming is expensive and sucks dick now, and I am not cottoning to Mac prices in this economy - I'm seeking PC building advice.

Can I build a PC for around $500 that will play L4D and TF2 without running like shit? I'm also interested in stuff like GGPO for Capcom fighters.

Also, I'd like a small form factor unit. Is it still possible to build like half-sized PC's? I know you could buy half sized / minature cases a few years back.

Have at it. I'm in the US, so that's the funny money I'll be using.
Heyo, saw you complaining in the other thread.

You can put together something in an mATX case if you would like that, but the case itself is going to cost a little more.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16721/2

Substitute this RAM in (G.Skill):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Substitute the GPU for one of these 4850's (XFX, Double Lifetime Warranty) or (HIS, STALKER: CS). Reason for that is if the cooler of the GPU is blocked temps could go up, and in a small case it's important to blow the hot air out the back, which is what these 2 cards do. In my personal choice I would get the XFX since the warranty helps resale value and I don't care much for STALKER: CS.

Here's a nice small case (ATX): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119195
Combine that with this PSU and you should be set just a little over $500:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Enjoy max settings and great FPS :)

359n88g.jpg

brain_stew said:
Ah didn't know that, presumed you'd be playing at a lower res. given your past GPU.

Taking that into account, I'd say this is worth the extra cash:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150361

Sure its about $90 more but you ARE getting a lot more performance for your money here as well as a lifetime warranty and a game which is a lot more expensive at retail. Its upto you really, they're both great cards, but the 4830 IS targetted more at 1680x1050 and below, where it'll cope just fine. Its lack of bandwidth and memory is going to cause a lot of problems at 1920x1200 though it just wasn't built for that resolution really. Still a huge upgrade and will run a fair few games t 1920x1200 and everything at 1440x900.

The other two component upgrades still stand though.

Oh, and for what its worth the GTX 260 is a heck of a clocker, got about a 20% OC going on mine and it tears up 1080P, its really a beast. Really easy to do with EVGA Precision and ATITool/Furmark for stability testing.

is this and this one fine too the one you mentioned is sold out now. and i will just have to do the rebates and get the money back.

Ashhong

alright so after changing my raidmax 600w to a corsair 450w, my GPU runs about 8 degrees hotter. could this be a PSU issue? i am using a 5pin PCI-E adapter now though. any ideas?

edit: everythings running hotter, even my cpu by just a little

kevm3

I hated Vista running it from a semi-old laptop, but love it on a powerful desktop. If you have a good system, Vista is very nice. All my programs run fast and I've hardly had any sort of errors.

and would most people go with a gtx 260 over the ati 4870? I was looking at some reviews and benchmark tests and it seems the 4870 was almost better being played at 1920x1200. and the 4870 is only 512mb vs the nvidia being 896

zoku88

Tideas said:
according to that link, 6gb isn't > than 3gb when doing single task. And when doing multi-tasking, its not even that greater, lol
I, for one, think that whole test was kinda dumb.

People multi-task all of the time.. The amount of ram you need depends on how much you use...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Broadbandito said:
and would most people go with a gtx 260 over the ati 4870? I was looking at some reviews and benchmark tests and it seems the 4870 was almost better being played at 1920x1200. and the 4870 is only 512mb vs the nvidia being 896
4870 uses GDDR5 so the bandwidth is 1% different.

As for graphics... I'm biased and would go with a 260 :lol
The 4870 wins in most categories though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Broadbandito said:
ok, let me ask this way. My build is below. I am looking at
G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail to replace my ram and one of these 3 for my gfx card. 1 2 and 3.

I am also gonna get the cpu fan I was recommend to OC my CPU from 2.0 to 3.0. What card would fit best with my system and would run crysis the best at 1920x1200?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150329

Both great companies, decide if the games are worth the money to you ;)
XFX has double lifetime warranty which helps resale value.

The E4400 @ 3Ghz is fine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Broadbandito said:
I cant do the 260 anyways. only got the 500 watt power supply.
What brand?

At load your machine will do like 400w tops.

I run a E7200 @ 3.8Ghz + overclocked GTX 260 on my 520w Corsair.

Hazaro said:
What brand?

At load your machine will do like 400w tops.

I run a E7200 @ 3.8Ghz + overclocked GTX 260 on my 520w Corsair.

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Retail

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Broadbandito said:
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Retail
Ehh, Raidmax PSU's. The GTX 260 is a relatively low power draw card, it should run fine as long as your PSU stays alive.

Check your model and see if it matches this info: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152038

Or just post the ER? RE? number or model or whatever you can find on the label.
Kintaro said:
I'm having a hard time telling the difference here...

I know I'm sleepy and all, but is there a difference between the two I'm missing?
Speakers

Kintaro said:
I'm having a hard time telling the difference here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009163

This monitor is $189.99 without the coupon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009162

This one is the same or something, but a new stand. Newer model? It's $209.99

I know I'm sleepy and all, but is there a difference between the two I'm missing?

The 2nd one is a newer model and has built in speakers. I actually own one myself and recommend it.

Picked up my parts, got everything set up. Too late in the night to do any sort of OS install, just running a Memtest pass right now.

You know what I really fucking hate, though? Those stupid tiny little cables that you have to connect from the case to the motherboard. I thought I had fried something when it wouldn't turn on at first but I had mistakenly connected to wrong little wire into the wrong little plug. Fucking hell.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Broadbandito said:
With a single 22A on the 12V that (combined with it being an old Raidmax) should not be powering your computer.

I would not personally install a GPU worth anything with this powering my rig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152029

If you can stretch for the Corsair 550w I would get that, if not then a Corsair 400w will do just fine.

Fredescu

_leech_ said:
You know what I really fucking hate, though? Those stupid tiny little cables that you have to connect from the case to the motherboard. I thought I had fried something when it wouldn't turn on at first but I had mistakenly connected to wrong little wire into the wrong little plug. Fucking hell.
We were just talking about those upthread. Some boards come with little connection blocks now where you plug everything into the blocks first and then plug the block onto the board. Much much easier.

Hazaro said:
With a single 22A on the 12V that (combined with it being an old Raidmax) should not be powering your computer.

I would not personally install a GPU worth anything with this powering my rig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152029

If you can stretch for the Corsair 550w I would get that, if not then a Corsair 400w will do just fine.

that 400w will really hold it all up? Cause if so, ill just get that. id like to keep it under 300. Im still torn between the 4870 and the gtx 260.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Broadbandito said:
that 400w will really hold it all up? Cause if so, ill just get that. id like to keep it under 300. Im still torn between the 4870 and the gtx 260.
Not for Crysis you shouldn't be.

If you CAN spend the extra you should (5 Year warranty + great service + should power any single GPU + CPU combo in upcoming years), maybe sell off Far Cry 2 and Cod: WaW from the deal to help.
If not then yes the 400w will cover you.

Ashhong

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
anybody? im thinking its the PSU. i found this corsair 550w for not too much more, should i just upgrade to this?

http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-550...power-supply-corsair/q/loc/101/205852646.html
Corsair PSU fans turn very slowly, and very silently. They can because they are rated at 50C.

Switching from one Cosair unit to another is probably not going to make a difference.
If a PSU change adds that much to your ambient temp I'm questioning what current fan configuration you have along with what time or room temp you took the measurement.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
Corsair PSU fans turn very slowly, and very silently. They can because they are rated at 50C.

Switching from one Cosair unit to another is probably not going to make a difference.
If a PSU change adds that much to your ambient temp I'm questioning what current fan configuration you have along with what time or room temp you took the measurement.

nothing to do with the fact that im using a PCI-e adapter that seems to only have 5 prongs inside instead of 6?

pretty much everything else has been the same. 90% of the time previously my gpu would idle at about 45-50, now its not going under 53, let alone 50.

right now i have 2 exhaust fans in the back, 1 intake on the side, and 1 exhaust on the top. more will be coming soon. all of the fans are running at like at least half power. previously, i didnt even have the one on the top.

all i know is that after changing PSU supplys, my GPU temp is higher, and my CPU fan is erratic. it keeps going up and down up and down and it sounds annoying. not a problem with too little power?

Hazaro said:
Not for Crysis you shouldn't be.

If you CAN spend the extra you should (5 Year warranty + great service + should power any single GPU + CPU combo in upcoming years), maybe sell off Far Cry 2 and Cod: WaW from the deal to help.
If not then yes the 400w will cover you.

im gonna do the 4870 and the 400w power supply. You said it should be just fine and I really cant afford to spend anymore than what I am already. I was only gonna spend like 150 and that has doubled now so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Broadbandito said:
im gonna do the 4870 and the 400w power supply. You said it should be just fine and I really cant afford to spend anymore than what I am already. I was only gonna spend like 150 and that has doubled now so.
No 260?
It uses slightly less power and give you better fps. If you go for the 4870 at least tell me why.
warhead-gamer-1920.gif

Top Bottom