• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Clevinger

what is this thing black on my case?

10pu72h.jpg

Is it essential? Can I replace it with a fan?

thanks

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Clevinger said:
what is this thing black on my case?

10pu72h.jpg

Is it essential? Can I replace it with a fan?

thanks

It's there to direct the air flow from your HSF out of the case.

mr jones said:
Looking over the specs of the utility player, that's getting close to the specs (and price) that I would be looking at for a multimedia pc. However, its not HDMI. I'm looking up what an HTPC case is now. Do the mini cases have a problem with cooling? Can they fit modern video cards?
Now that I think about it, I remember reading that Nvidia cards don't handle audio over HDMI as well as ATI cards, so you might want to go with a Radeon 4870 or 4890 instead of the GTX 260. Maybe someone else has more insight on that.

Smaller cases tend to be harder to cool since your components are closer together. You just have to be a little more mindful of cooling -- some cases are designed to cool better than others. I think most mini-ATX towers will fit a full-size video card, but you'll want to make sure to read up on it before you buy anything. Most HTPC cases require low-profile video cards (which won't be powerful enough for good 1080p gaming), but I think there are a few cases that'll support full-height cards.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
nec99 said:
Is my mini upgrade worth it?
I bought a q6600 and a 260 GTX(NOT core 216 version) over a year ago, was looking at replacing them with an E8500 Wolfdale and maybe a GTX 275. Would this give me a nice boost or am I just wasting money?
What could you possibly be having trouble running?

Minsc

Gold Member
mr jones said:
Looking over the specs of the utility player, that's getting close to the specs (and price) that I would be looking at for a multimedia pc. However, its not HDMI. I'm looking up what an HTPC case is now. Do the mini cases have a problem with cooling? Can they fit modern video cards?

This one was suggested to me earlier, and it has very nice reviews. Can be modded to take a full sized card with a small adjustment. Good price and nice look too. It comes with or without the window, and perhaps in a different color, I forget. Not quite HTPC size, but you get to fit a full sized card in it!

rohlfinator said:
Now that I think about it, I remember reading that Nvidia cards don't handle audio over HDMI as well as ATI cards, so you might want to go with a Radeon 4870 or 4890 instead of the GTX 260. Maybe someone else has more insight on that.

Smaller cases tend to be harder to cool since your components are closer together. You just have to be a little more mindful of cooling -- some cases are designed to cool better than others. I think most mini-ATX towers will fit a full-size video card, but you'll want to make sure to read up on it before you buy anything. Most HTPC cases require low-profile video cards (which won't be powerful enough for good 1080p gaming), but I think there are a few cases that'll support full-height cards.

Nvidia cards require a separate cable for audio. Only reason I am forced to go with ATI, I wan to run a 30ft HDMI cable to my Kuro. I'm honestly not even sure if I can run it through my AVR which is what I really want to do.

Boonoo

This is a dangerous thread; I just bought four more gigs of RAM that I probably don't need.
But really, can you ever have too much RAM?

Boonoo said:
This is a dangerous thread; I just bought four more gigs of RAM that I probably don't need.
But really, can you ever have too much RAM?
Unless you're running a 64bit OS, yes you can have too much ram.

YakiSOBA

Gaffers! Don't let me down!!

I'm helping a friend out. He only needs a new tower + components inside. He already has a keyboard/mouse/flatscreen monitor.

His budget: $1500 CAD (~$1,230 USD)
Location: Canada. Prefer to get a place that ships from Canada, or with ease to Canada (ie: www.tigerdirect.ca)

Main use: new gaming PC, his old one can't run anything. He wants to play StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 as best as he can with his budget once those games come out.

Hook me up, pass me a item list and it will be purchased and built!

Thanks gaffers! :D

YakiSOBA said:

Monitor size? Is that max budget with tax? With assembly? Maybe even just answer the great standard question set in this thread? It's a good budget to work with, just need to know what the money should focus on.

YakiSOBA said:

I'm helping a friend out. He only needs a new tower + components inside. He already has a keyboard/mouse/flatscreen monitor.

Location: Canada. Prefer to get a place that ships from Canada, or with ease to Canada (ie: www.tigerdirect.ca)

Main use: new gaming PC, his old one can't run anything. He wants to play StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 as best as he can with his budget once those games come out.

You can try newegg.ca ??? Also, are you planning to OC his pc?

This is what I got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129154 - Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130221 - Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161276 - GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202 - CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006 - PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223 - RAM

Toby

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I just built a phenom II X4 920 box with a 780g chipset. It overclocks like a champ, got it up to 3.4ghz last night, on air cooling. Only thing holding me back is the RAM, need to swap out the ddr800 for some 1066.

Mind if I ask what cooler you are using?

YakiSOBA said:

If those are the main games he wants to play, he should really wait till they come out.
But then again, they really won't be graphic intensive.

Haeleos

So the 4770s are out now. HIS, XFX, Powercolor and Gigabyte. Does it matter which brand I get? Any recommendations between those?

Toby said:
Mind if I ask what cooler you are using?

This was on the stock cooler with a slight vcore bump, RAM voltage was pretty much maxed for what I get in the bios, and I had to loosen the timings. The phenomII X4 comes with a half-way decent stock cooler, it has copper pipes but a loooooud fan. It was running 48c+ pretty quickly but it ran a full crysis CPU/GPU test. (it was 3.36ghz technically BTW)

But for a permanent solution I decided on a OCZ vendetta, after looking into good AM2\+ coolers.

bigswords

Tideas said:
why do you want to play crysis in 1920 x 1080 when you can do it 1920 x 1200?

Don't understand the obsession some ppl have wanting to play at 1080 when shud be striving for 1920 x 1200

Maybe he has a 1920x1080 monitor? I know I do.

Yes my TV max res is 1920 X 1080.

Toby

SuperEnemyCrab said:
This was on the stock cooler with a slight vcore bump, RAM voltage was pretty much maxed for what I get in the bios, and I had to loosen the timings. The phenomII X4 comes with a half-way decent stock cooler, it has copper pipes but a loooooud fan. It was running 48c+ pretty quickly but it ran a full crysis CPU/GPU test. (it was 3.36ghz technically BTW)

But for a permanent solution I decided on a OCZ vendetta, after looking into good AM2\+ coolers.

Oh, wow. I'm also running mine on the stock cooler, was at most hoping to get 3.2 with stock.

Post results when you get the Vendetta installed, interested in how well it goes.

Haeleos said:
So the 4770s are out now. HIS, XFX, Powercolor and Gigabyte. Does it matter which brand I get? Any recommendations between those?

They all look identical to reference, you should just go with the best warranty. I wonder why ATI didn't include a larger cooler on it like the 4870.

Hey PC-gaf i need some help...

I'm so tired of playing FPS/RTS games with a controller. I need a PC bad.

My problem is i dont know how to put one together myself. In '01 when i was big into CS i just paid dell alot of money to build me one. It was a pretty good pc(for CS atleast lol)

What is the best place to get a PC built for you? I checked dell and HP and both are kinda expenive for what your getting. cyberpowerpc is pretty cheap and you can pick exactly what you want to go in it. Are they any good?

I have about a grand to spend and i dont need a monitor. I still have a 21inch CRT from back in 2001 that will do just fine.

Everyone seems to be saying lately that games are GPU dependant as opposed to CPU. Should i just opt for a Phenom II X3 720 and get a better GPU instead of going with an Inetl i7?

I built this one on cyber power for just over a grand

AMD Phenom™II X3 720 Black Edition Triple-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset with PCIe slot DDR2 SATA RAID
8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX275 896MB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
320GB HD

I can upgrade to a Phenom II X4 920 for $30 and a 940 black edition for $60, is it worth it or is the X3 good enough?

YakiSOBA

Monitor size? Is that max budget with tax? With assembly? Maybe even just answer the great standard question set in this thread? It's a good budget to work with, just need to know what the money should focus on.

He has a 24" dell lcd right now. That is budget with tax included. Parts can be ordered separately, and I will build it for him. No overclocking. Thanks!

Labombadog said:

This looks mighty good. Could I just get a couple of opinions on this, if we get a few green lights I am going to mimic that system order! Does he need any additional fans or things like that?

edit: out of curiosity, does newegg have an option to pre-assembly your order for you for a price?

Cheeto

Darklord said:
Is Vista meant to use 1gb ram when its idol? I new it was a ram hog but that seems excessive...
Yes. It keeps certain things in memory for faster execution. What difference does it make how much ram is being used at idle, anyways? Unused ram is more wasteful.

Cheeto said:
Yes. It keeps certain things in memory for faster execution. What difference does it make how much ram is being used at idle, anyways? Unused ram is more wasteful.

Superfetch doesn't explain away its memory usage.

Boonoo

mastershake said:
Hey PC-gaf i need some help...

I'm so tired of playing FPS/RTS games with a controller. I need a PC bad.

My problem is i dont know how to put one together myself. In '01 when i was big into CS i just paid dell alot of money to build me one. It was a pretty good pc(for CS atleast lol)

What is the best place to get a PC built for you? I checked dell and HP and both are kinda expenive for what your getting. cyberpowerpc is pretty cheap and you can pick exactly what you want to go in it. Are they any good?

It really isn't hard to put one together yourself. I built my first rig this past August, and it was a breeze. There wasn't too much prep involved. I just watched a couple tutorials on youtube, and read up on stuff on the tomshardware forums.

And building is kind of a gradual process. The first time I put my computer together it was a mess inside, but I've taken it apart and rebuilt it a couple times, and now I think that I'm really getting a good feel for how things fit together nicely.
It's a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I understand if you just don't want to bother with the rigmarole, but don't be scared of putting one together; they're a lot less fragile than you'd think.

Cheeto said:
As handy as it is I always think along the lines of "I hope I have enough ram for my game!" like i'm paranoid!

How much ram does the win7 beta use, roughly the same as vista?

Boonoo said:
It really isn't hard to put one together yourself. I built my first rig this past August, and it was a breeze. There wasn't too much prep involved. I just watched a couple tutorials on youtube, and read up on stuff on the tomshardware forums.

And building is kind of a gradual process. The first time I put my computer together it was a mess inside, but I've taken it apart and rebuilt it a couple times, and now I think that I'm really getting a good feel for how things fit together nicely.

I understand if you just don't want to bother with the rigmarole, but don't be scared of putting one together; they're a lot less fragile than you'd think.
I moved the entire of one pc into another case one long ago and I get too worried about everything, when I ordered my new pc I went for a build it then send it because I feel much better about it all even if it costs me £70 more overall. Plus if something goes tit's up I can get it covered for free for a year or two without extra costs.

For my next-next machine I may try building it though, the more I play around with simple HDD and ram upgrades the better I feel and it's been a while now since I played around with the guts of a computer.

Minsc

Gold Member
Diablohead said:
As handy as it is I always think along the lines of "I hope I have enough ram for my game!" like i'm paranoid!

How much ram does the win7 beta use, roughly the same as vista?

Windows 7 was reported to use as little as half the amount used by Vista, though I guess it's not exactly clear, since the more RAM you have, the more Windows 7 reserve for superfetch or whatever. Here's a thread showing how much memory XP, Vista, and Windows 7 have free after booting, and here's another thread that goes over how much memory you're left with if you only have 512 megs of ram, etc.

Grayman

Boonoo said:

Reminds me of when I didn't put a ram stick in all the way and flipped the power on, the pc speaker made a firetruck noise. It still worked when I put it in properly.

Darklord

Banned
Cheeto said:

Well its mainly in games I'm thinking. I'd prefer it didn't suck up 1gb of ram of stuff I'm not using when I'm playing. Still I don't mind too much, I have 6gb.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Grayman said:
Reminds me of when I didn't put a ram stick in all the way and flipped the power on, the pc speaker made a firetruck noise. It still worked when I put it in properly.

I remember when i upgraded the RAM in my laptop a while back. I nearly shat myself putting it in, i kept thinking 'there is no way i can push this tiny thing that hard with out breaking it into shit'. :lol

MoxManiac

What's the average lifespans of PSUs?

My PSU is dying and no longer giving sufficent power to the CPU (and is making awful noises), so I need a new one. I hate to invest in a good PSU for this shitbox, but I figure it's one less part to buy when I do a full upgrade. I mean, I can count on a new PSU to last long enough for that, right?

Any recommendations? I was thinking one from OCZ. Keep in mind I want to reuse it in a core2 or i7 build down the road.

Cheeto

Darklord said:
Well its mainly in games I'm thinking. I'd prefer it didn't suck up 1gb of ram of stuff I'm not using when I'm playing. Still I don't mind too much, I have 6gb.
It not going to be using it all the time. Its there when idle because nothing is requesting the space, but as soon has something does, it'll make it available.

MoxManiac said:
What's the average lifespans of PSUs?

My PSU is dying and no longer giving sufficent power to the CPU (and is making awful noises), so I need a new one. I hate to invest in a good PSU for this shitbox, but I figure it's one less part to buy when I do a full upgrade. I mean, I can count on a new PSU to last long enough for that, right?

Any recommendations? I was thinking one from OCZ. Keep in mind I want to reuse it in a core2 or i7 build down the road.

Seasonics are the best PSU's, and they come with three year warranties. I guess it depends on far along said "full upgrade" really is. If its in a year or so i'd get a quality PSU now and simply transfer it.

TheHeretic said:
Seasonics are the best PSU's, and they come with three year warranties. I guess it depends on far along said "full upgrade" really is. If its in a year or so i'd get a quality PSU now and simply transfer it.

Are they better than Corsair PSUs? I was under the impression those are some of the best and I think they come with a 5 year warranty.

I was looking to purchase a Corsair PSU just because of this.

bigmit3737 said:
Are they better than Corsair PSUs? I was under the impression those are some of the best and I think they come with a 5 year warranty.

I was looking to purchase a Corsair PSU just because of this.

Seasonic makes a lot of Corsair PSU's : )

The HX *20 series is really, really good. Its got Corsair branding but is made by Seasonic. Very reliable and very quiet. As for the warranty I don't really know, I thought it was 3 years but longer the better.

MoxManiac

Upgrade will likely come within a year. Probably within the first six months of 2010. It'll be a modest system (no overclocking, one optical drive, one hard drive) so recommended minimum wattage when thinking of the future? 400? 500?

I'll look into Seasonic. That warranty sounds nice. Holy fuck are corsair PSUs expensive.

MoxManiac said:
Upgrade will likely come within a year. Probably within the first six months of 2010. It'll be a modest system (no overclocking, one optical drive, one hard drive) so recommended minimum wattage when thinking of the future? 400? 500?

I'll look into Seasonic. That warranty sounds nice. Holy fuck are corsair PSUs expensive.

Good PSU's are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Single or SLi/Xfire GPU's is the biggest decider on your wattage. With one GPU 500 is pretty safe, with two you'll want to push it to 650-750. I honestly have NFI what the usage will be on the next generation of GPU's, but those should be safe figures.

Top Bottom