• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Darklord

Banned
Bamelin said:
Gaf I need some help.

I haven't gamed on a PC for years ... just want to know if either of these are any good for gaming (keep in mind prices are Canadian):

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/p...ment+pc+612500.do?&N=100339&Ns=P_DATE_CREATED

Or:

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/p...tion+pc+612633.do?&N=100339&Ns=P_DATE_CREATED

I like the easy pay option on this site but have no idea if these comuters are actually any good or not.

There ok, not great. They'd be able to run most things, maybe not on max and not Crysis. However the graphics card will need replacing.

Liberty4all

Banned
Thanks I'll keep looking around then. I just want something I can plug in and play ... and hopefully will not need upgrading for at least a couple of years.

edit: What sort of graphics card should I be looking for in a system?

Darklord

Banned
Bamelin said:
Thanks I'll keep looking around then. I just want something I can plug in and play ... and hopefully will not need upgrading for at least a couple of years.

edit: What sort of graphics card should I be looking for in a system?

I'd say a Nvidia 275GTX/260GTX or Ati 4850/4870. Either of those 4 will last you a good while.

And if you get Vista with it, don't go for anything under 3GB of RAM. Even 2gb just isn't enough for some games running on it(Like Empire: Total War).

Korranator

Any suggestions for a good heat sink/CPU fan combo? I currently have a Zalman, and I'm not happy with it's performance. Plus it's a pain in the ass to install it.

Damn. Now Newegg.ca and NCIX are both out of stock on the 120GB Vertex. (Newegg even delisted it?!) Maybe I need to take a closer look at the X-25 (sigh. so expensive though...)

Crazymoogle said:
Damn. Now Newegg.ca and NCIX are both out of stock on the 120GB Vertex. (Newegg even delisted it?!) Maybe I need to take a closer look at the X-25 (sigh. so expensive though...)

Why don't you just wait? They will probably be much cheaper once Windows 7 hits, it's what I am waiting for.

MWS Natural said:
Why don't you just wait? They will probably be much cheaper once Windows 7 hits, it's what I am waiting for.

I'm already running Win7 beta, and I'll be switching to Win7 RC in a few weeks, which will be the perfect time to get it going on an SSD. (I have to switch regardless - the beta expiry is coming soon.)

Size vs. Price has been a bit lumbering recently, anyway; everybody is too focused on fixing their parts after the whole JMicron disaster. I see 120GB getting more affordable but the cuts are going to be pretty gradual (Intel just cut X25 prices...by $50? And they have easily the worst size bins). If the PCIe parts were competitive we may have seen faster price competition, but I think the cheapest PCIe part we may see this year will be over a thousand dollars US.

The Vertex is appealing because you can get 50% more space for the same price as the X-25M, and Indilinx and OCZ have been providing pretty eye-opening firmware support for the product.

rass

madmook said:
I have a 2200hd. I'm not a hardcore videophile or anything (I've never even seen any fancy schmancy pva/mva/ips lcds in action), and imo the BenQ is alright image quality-wise. I mostly bought it because its got dvi, vga and hdmi inputs. Built-in speakers are shit, though.
Im posting from my new PC :)
havent played a game yet but i like the monitor I ended up getting. CPL were out of stock on the E2200HD so i spent even more than I was meant to and got the E2400HD, really liking it so far, and the keyboard/mouse i got is amazing (microsoft x6 and logitech g9)
my GPU came with far cry 2 which i was pretty pumped about! Free stuff woo!

A friend of mine earlier in the year was talking about solid state drives, it sounds rather cool to half the time of your windows bootup or load app's triple the speed.

I would love a small SSD just for my main app's and windows but I hear they are damn expensive right now.

So I'm looking to take advantage of the 35% off Vostro coupon that's going on. Here's what I've got configured right now:
Genuine Windows Vista® Business
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
15.4" Premium WXGA+ Anti-Glare Display (Wide View)
2GB Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz, 1 DIMM
8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability, Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVD™ DX 8.1
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9300M GS 256MB
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Dell Wireless™ 1397 802.11b/g Mini Card
No Integrated Webcam or Microphone
6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
What I'm wondering is if I should really be taking the $125 upgrade from a 2MB to a 3MB cache instead of upgrading RAM, battery life, etc. Just how much of a performance increase am I getting from a 3MB?

Bamelin said:
Gaf I need some help.

I haven't gamed on a PC for years ... just want to know if either of these are any good for gaming (keep in mind prices are Canadian):

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/p...ment+pc+612500.do?&N=100339&Ns=P_DATE_CREATED

Or:

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/p...tion+pc+612633.do?&N=100339&Ns=P_DATE_CREATED

I like the easy pay option on this site but have no idea if these comuters are actually any good or not.

Horrible, really. These two PCs are an infinitely better buy, and are all ready to go, no upgrading required to get it upto gaming spec.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229086

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229064

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
So I'm looking to take advantage of the 35% off Vostro coupon that's going on. Here's what I've got configured right now:
What I'm wondering is if I should really be taking the $125 upgrade from a 2MB to a 3MB cache instead of upgrading RAM, battery life, etc. Just how much of a performance increase am I getting from a 3MB?

2-3%, if that.

That GPU is a piece of crap, that's the first place to start with your upgrades. Still, it looks like you're cheaping out in most areas, its generally not the most cost effective way to go about buying a PC, bang for buck is what you should be going for. Low speed Core 2s are fine if you can OC them, but that's not an option in a Dell machine.

4GB is the minimum amount of RAM any modern PC should have, although this is the easiest part to upgrade yourself.

So why the heck would it cost $125 to go from 2.1GHz 2MB L2 cache to 2.4 GHz 3MB?

As for the GPU, it's the only discrete graphics option available >_> I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for something cheap and portable that I can run some modern games on, since I'm not exactly a hardcore PC gamer. Vostros generally seem to give you pretty good bang for your buck, but maybe I should be looking elsewhere?

YYZ

ok I'm not sure what's wrong, but my computer won't detect either one of my Radeon 3870s. I guess one problem is that whenever I restart my computer, Windows tells me that it detected something on the high definition audio bus or something. I ignore it since everything works. Recently, one of my hard drives crapped out so I turned everything off (I usually keep my PC on 24/7) and checked the HDDs and I can't get it to boot anymore. There is no beeping of any kind.

So to sum things up, I'm looking for a new GPU that is better than the 3870, but is a budget card now, so under $150 please.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
So why the heck would it cost $125 to go from 2.1GHz 2MB L2 cache to 2.4 GHz 3MB?

As for the GPU, it's the only discrete graphics option available >_> I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for something cheap and portable that I can run some modern games on, since I'm not exactly a hardcore PC gamer. Vostros generally seem to give you pretty good bang for your buck, but maybe I should be looking elsewhere?

Oh wait, this is a laptop? Arghh, totally glossed over that. No, that upgrade is not worth the $125 at all. Well, that makes the specs more reasonable.

Just don't expect miracles out of that 9300M, what's the total cost btw?

YYZ said:
ok I'm not sure what's wrong, but my computer won't detect either one of my Radeon 3870s. I guess one problem is that whenever I restart my computer, Windows tells me that it detected something on the high definition audio bus or something. I ignore it since everything works. Recently, one of my hard drives crapped out so I turned everything off (I usually keep my PC on 24/7) and checked the HDDs and I can't get it to boot anymore. There is no beeping of any kind.

So to sum things up, I'm looking for a new GPU that is better than the 3870, but is a budget card now, so under $150 please.

You should really try reinstalling Windows or putting that card in another machine before declaring it dead.

Still, if you are going forward with a GPU upgrade then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

Slightly over budget but worth every last penny.

YYZ

brain_stew said:
You should really try reinstalling Windows or putting that card in another machine before declaring it dead.

Still, if you are going forward with a GPU upgrade then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

Slightly over budget but worth every last penny.
The PC won't boot though, and unfortunately I don't have another motherboard with PCI-e to test it out. I guess I could bring the cards to a store, but I'm too damn lazy.

I have to figure out how to make sure my motherboard is configured properly 100% which is a pain in the ass.

The video cards aren't dead I think, not sure. The same thing happened before and I swapped the video cards and it booted (only one was in the machine at that time).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MWS Natural said:
It's not 1 graph of a bad compared 3D06 run :lol

Well they actually did a full review and that card is looking pretty sweet.

A problem could be this though:
Qimonda has announced bankruptcy, so we don’t know if the productivity of GDDR5 can be ensured in a long term.
While they didn't make the best RAM, it was cheap. HyperX and Samsung are left to make the GDDR5 now...

This happened to the 8800GT also when they had to switch to Samsung memory when Qimodia had a shortage, but that was GDDR3.

Either way looks like a solid card for the money. Performance / $ right now is absolutely incredible.

Grayman

I really want to freeze myself until my parts get here :lol

Is there a resource out there that compares DRM and modability between distributions of games? I figure that steam avoids securerom and such but I do not know if the games are as open as disc versions. I want to look at Crysis, Warhead, Mirrors Edge, Fallout 3, and maybe R6V2.

brain_stew said:
Oh wait, this is a laptop? Arghh, totally glossed over that. No, that upgrade is not worth the $125 at all. Well, that makes the specs more reasonable.

Just don't expect miracles out of that 9300M, what's the total cost btw?
After taking off the processor upgrade and bumping the memory up to 3GB so the coupon applies, the total sits at $603.50 after tax and S&H ($569.40 before).

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
After taking off the processor upgrade and bumping the memory up to 3GB so the coupon applies, the total sits at $603.50 after tax and S&H ($569.40 before).

Seems a fair deal.

Grayman said:

Is there a resource out there that compares DRM and modability between distributions of games? I figure that steam avoids securerom and such but I do not know if the games are as open as disc versions. I want to look at Crysis, Warhead, Mirrors Edge, Fallout 3, and maybe R6V2.

I can fully recommend Gamersgate, Impulse, gog.com and Steam. Stick with them 4 and you'll be fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
Diablohead said:
A friend of mine earlier in the year was talking about solid state drives, it sounds rather cool to half the time of your windows bootup or load app's triple the speed.

I would love a small SSD just for my main app's and windows but I hear they are damn expensive right now.

Is $100 really THAT expensive, if all you're planning on putting on it is the OS and some basic software, $100 buys the second best consumer SSD on the market.

How big is Windows 7 anyway? My XP installation is less than 4 gigs, windows 7 has to be under 10 right? Or hopefully around there. Still leaves plenty of space, even on a measly 30 gig drive.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also does anyone know if this Windows XP virtualization included for free & built in to Windows 7 Pro/Ult is going to create basically a perfect mirror of XP's compatibility in Windows 7? That would be an amazing in keeping older games running.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Grayman said:

Wait for the Crysis Maximum Edition. Crysis + Warhead + Wars for $40

Grayman

brain_stew said:
I can fully recommend Gamersgate, Impulse, gog.com and Steam. Stick with them 4 and you'll be fine.
I am hoping that fallout 3 mods will work on steam. I use steam and GOG but have very few non valve games on steam.

Hazaro said:
Wait for the Crysis Maximum Edition. Crysis + Warhead + Wars for $40
Excellent!

Hey guys, I just got a generous refund back from taxes and I decided to spend it on a new computer. I have about $800 to spend and I'm looking to build something I can do some gaming on.

Two specifics - 1. I have a 1440x900 monitor that I will be using at first but will expand to a 1080p monitor in the future. 2. I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and plan on at least dual booting, so compatibility is important to me.

So far I have (I lifted these from techradar's April 2009 system guide):

AMD Phenom II X3 720 - $140
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB Hard Drive - $75
Samsung DVD Burner - $25
Antec Sonata III w/ 500W Earthwatts PSU - $120
Total so far - $360

Can the gaf pc crew help me decide between getting an am2+ or am3 motherboard (ram depends on choice of course) and what video card do you think I should get, 4870 or GTX 260 core 216?

rass

Echoes of Pink said:
Hey guys, I just got a generous refund back from taxes and I decided to spend it on a new computer. I have about $800 to spend and I'm looking to build something I can do some gaming on.

Two specifics - 1. I have a 1440x900 monitor that I will be using at first but will expand to a 1080p monitor in the future. 2. I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and plan on at least dual booting, so compatibility is important to me.

Samsung DVD Burner - $25
Total so far - $360

Can the gaf pc crew help me decide between getting an am2+ or am3 motherboard (ram depends on choice of course) and what video card do you think I should get?

I recommend what people recommended to me for the GPU: GTX 260 core 216
hasn't had any troubles running far cry 2 at 1080p with most settings up so far, I think its about US$200?

Echoes of Pink said:

Samsung DVD Burner - $25
Total so far - $360

Can the gaf pc crew help me decide between getting an am2+ or am3 motherboard (ram depends on choice of course) and what video card do you think I should get, 4870 or GTX 260 core 216?

Go with Tech Report's April Utility player, I'd really struggle to come up with anything better for the money but you're already heading along the right lines. The only variation you might want to make is which GTX 260 to take as the one they chose may have gone up in price or no longer be listed, EVGA currently have a one up on Newegg for $160 after rebate with a lifetime warranty and 90 day step up, hard to pass up.

You can get a good 15-20% performance boost out of a 260 as well, if you're willing to OC.

asdad123

I read somewhere that Dell's are unable to be overclocked. Is that correct?

I am getting a XPS420 from my brother with a Q6600. Will I be able to overclock that or am I out of luck?

Vestal

asdad123 said:

I am getting a XPS420 from my brother with a Q6600. Will I be able to overclock that or am I out of luck?

Most OEMS don't allow overclocking. It all depends on the Motherboard it has, if its a Dell custom ur probably stuck on stock speeds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
asdad123 said:

Only if you want to open it up.

2.4Ghz -> 3Ghz

attachment.php

asdad123

Hazaro said:
Only if you want to open it up.

2.4Ghz -> 3Ghz

attachment.php

I dont mind doing that. What would I need to do to get it overclocked after I open it?

Also, it has a 8800gt, should I upgrade that or its fine? I just want to play some of the newer games at 1280x720.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
asdad123 said:
I dont mind doing that. What would I need to do to get it overclocked after I open it?

Also, it has a 8800gt, should I upgrade that or its fine? I just want to play some of the newer games at 1280x720.
At that res it's fine. You can consider an upgrade to a 4770 or GTX 260 if you aren't content with it.

You just have to cover that one pad you see in the picture. Sets the FSB to 333 instead of 266 overclocking it to 3Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz.

Vestal

asdad123 said:

Just make sure you have a good cooling solution before you perform the overclock, not to mention making sure that if you do OC the FSB to make sure the Memory is syncd correctly to that new clock.

Hazaro said:
At that res it's fine. You can consider an upgrade to a 4770 or GTX 260 if you aren't content with it.

You just have to cover that one pad you see in the picture. Sets the FSB to 333 instead of 266 overclocking it to 3Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz.

Ah, the pad mod. Did the same thing to to the Inspiron 530 w/Q6600 I got during the crazy initial ebay rush of MS cashback. Runs like a champ.

Edit: Just a note, Vista (at least for me) won't report that it's running at 3gz, but CPUID or any CPU monitors should show the proper speed. This threw me off at first after I did it and wanted confirmation that I covered the pad properly.

bigswords

YES!!

My Dell pc now cost 1.7k SGD (Roughly 1.2K USD, or roughly 4 X 360 arcade units)

It's a i7 920 , 1 gig 4870 and 4 gigs of ram, 320 gig harddisk! So awesome!

Crysis 1920 X 1080 here I come!

John_B

I have a question regarding DDR3 and i7. There is no FSB limit for memory, but the 920 and 940 only support up to 1066 MHz? So if you want to go stock, there would be no need to go beyond PC3-8500 modules?

I don't know how much of a difference latency makes anymore, but some 1066 MHz modules sport 6-6-6-18 timings, which seem pretty good compared to the faster modules that has 8/9-24/27 timings.

Chinner

Banned
I've been looking into getting a laptop and I've just got two questions if anyone can answer them:
1. What's the general consensus on Dell Laptops? From what I've heard they seem pretty acceptable but I'm just wondering if there's anything about them that I should be aware of?
2. I've been looking specifically at the Studio 17 Dell laptops and just wondering if they're any good and if they're good value for money?

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...&ref=lthp&s=dhs
Looking at the £579 or £649 in particular.

Only a week or so before my new machine arrives in the post but I been constantly thinking about it's performance, for £450 I know i'm not getting the full beans available for gaming but if I can recap what I have some feedback would be great to hear.

Intel® Core 2 Duo E7400
CPU Cooler: Standard CPU heatsink & fan
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM (Intel G31 chipset,
onboard video)
Memory: 4.0GB Corsair DDR2 800mhz XMS2 (2x 2GB)
Hard Drives: 160GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 20x DVD±RW DL
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
PSU: 500W Eagle

For a budget machine this is rather good right? the problem with looking at GPU reviews is that everyone has different processors and motherboards so it's hard for me to pin down what I could expect from crysis and UT3, two games I will probably play for a long time to come.

I chose the cheaper E7400 to keep price down, it says 2.8ghz which to me seems good without paying double to get the extra 0.2ghz. If worse comes to worse I will have to upgrade the processor at christmas as a present.

Minsc said:
Is $100 really THAT expensive, if all you're planning on putting on it is the OS and some basic software, $100 buys the second best consumer SSD on the market.

How big is Windows 7 anyway? My XP installation is less than 4 gigs, windows 7 has to be under 10 right? Or hopefully around there. Still leaves plenty of space, even on a measly 30 gig drive.
Oh right I thought the budget entry level was about $300 going by rather odd google searches the other day, I not looked much into it but if $100 can buy me enough space for windows and 3dsmax installs i'm all for it! would have to be from a UK retailer though so you can expect that $100 to mean £100 :(

*edit* yeah I was close, 30GB SSD from amazon.co.uk is £93, I will keep my eyes open on them as I feel it's worth it.

*2nd edit* Another make, £80 for 32GB, damn I am so tempted to buy but I think I will also need another wire to connect it to my motherboard, my MB can support two internal drives right?

Tideas

Banned
bigswords said:
YES!!

My Dell pc now cost 1.7k SGD (Roughly 1.2K USD, or roughly 4 X 360 arcade units)

It's a i7 920 , 1 gig 4870 and 4 gigs of ram, 320 gig harddisk! So awesome!

Crysis 1920 X 1080 here I come!

why do you want to play crysis in 1920 x 1080 when you can do it 1920 x 1200?

Don't understand the obsession some ppl have wanting to play at 1080 when shud be striving for 1920 x 1200

MoxManiac

Tideas said:
why do you want to play crysis in 1920 x 1080 when you can do it 1920 x 1200?

Don't understand the obsession some ppl have wanting to play at 1080 when shud be striving for 1920 x 1200

Maybe he has a 1920x1080 monitor? I know I do.

John_B said:
I have a question regarding DDR3 and i7. There is no FSB limit for memory, but the 920 and 940 only support up to 1066 MHz? So if you want to go stock, there would be no need to go beyond PC3-8500 modules?
Intel actually unlocked the memory multipliers on the retail 920 and 940, so you can use faster memory if you want (1333/1600/1866/etc).

Diablohead said:
For a budget machine this is rather good right? the problem with looking at GPU reviews is that everyone has different processors and motherboards so it's hard for me to pin down what I could expect from crysis and UT3, two games I will probably play for a long time to come.
Your CPU should be more than fine for those two games, and most games, really. Only a few games like GTA4 really benefit from a quad-core. And the GTX 260 should be a great card for a while also.

Gauhst

OK Gaf, I could really use some help here.

I've been wanting a new PC for a while now, but I don't have a whole lot of money. The only game I play these days is WoW. Occasionally I'll play some CoH, but the rig I want to get is going to be a WoW rig 99.99 percent of the time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131376
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103672
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811162042
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130297
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136199

I don't want to spend a lot of money, so what I just posted should do the job, right? I'll be getting a monitor and keyboard separately, but I really just wanted to know two things.

Are all those parts compatible with one another? And do you think that that's a good machine for WoW use only? I'm pretty much a PC noob, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: The monitor I'll be running WoW on will be at 1440x900 res.

Top Bottom