• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
_leech_ said:
293yhz8.png

Seriously, fuck off ATI. Who the hell releases a new piece of hardware without any driver support?
It isn't ATI's fault, the manufacturers should not have released the card. ATI said May 5th was the official release date. Look up to see which drivers the review sites tried during their tests and use the same.

guru3d.com sometimes has modified drivers to work with cards not "officially" supported yet. Might give that a try for 4770 drivers. There has to be some out there, how are review sights testing them otherwise?

I'm just going to RMA this piece of shit. I finally got the damn drivers installed but when I logged on the screen would turn a random colour (red, blue, whatever) and that's it. Looks like it's just a dud.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Benchmarked my current rig in:

-Company of Heroes (DX10 maxed settings, no AA, 1920x1080)
-Crysis Warhead (DX10 all enthusiast, no AA, 1920x1080)
-Unreal Tournament 3 (1920x1080 max settings, special physx maps and regular maps)
-3dmark 06
-3dmark Vantage

Gonna do another set of benchmarks after I get the Core i7 stuff together on friday, to see how much of a CPU bottleneck I had going on the E6600. Will post the results for both when I finish, for anyone curious.

EviLore said:

-Unreal Tournament 3 (1920x1080 max settings, special physx maps and regular maps)
-3dmark 06
-3dmark Vantage

Gonna do another set of benchmarks after I get the Core i7 stuff together on friday, to see how much of a CPU bottleneck I had going on the E6600. Will post the results for both when I finish, for anyone curious.

Can you post the results for what you got? I'm on the fence whether I should get rid of my two 8800GTs and sli two gtx260s instead... I've got a e6750 so if there was any cpu bottleneck I'm assuming it would be similar to yours. I'm finally getting a 1920x1080 monitor so that's what's making me wonder if I need more powerful cards at the higher resolution. Thanks if you're able to help at all.

Edit: Seems I missed you're last sentence. :D If I remember correctly you had a 8800GTX before right? Or was that mightyknox? I'm torn. :/

Edit: Are any new GPUs coming out anytime soon? I saw any article about a 300 series but it seems it's all speculation...

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Can you post the results for what you got? I'm on the fence whether I should get rid of my two 8800GTs and sli two gtx260s instead... I've got a e6750 so if there was any cpu bottleneck I'm assuming it would be similar to yours. I'm finally getting a 1920x1080 monitor so that's what's making me wonder if I need more powerful cards at the higher resolution. Thanks if you're able to help at all.

Edit: Seems I missed you're last sentence. :D If I remember correctly you had a 8800GTX before right? Or was that mightyknox? I'm torn. :/

Edit: Are any new GPUs coming out anytime soon? I saw any article about a 300 series but it seems it's all speculation...

The next gen of ATI chips could come out in two months time, but it's all speculation, could be 4 or 5 months max.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

My current system:

E6600 @ 2.9ghz (bios revisions seemed to kill my OCing potential at some point...)
GTX 260 @ 650/2400
4GB DDR2-800
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Velociraptor, Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 etc. etc.

New components coming in friday:

Core i7 920 d0 stepping
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
OCZ Platinum 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO HSF

rass

can anyone explain in layman's terms the benefit of running 2 graphics cards in sli or crossfire? Does it work with every application or does the app have to have built in support? (just a curiousity, no plans to spend any more than i have already)

I want to upgrade my 8800gt, feels about that time. I really would like to stick with Nvidia, as i have always used them.

Any recommendations?

iam.rass said:
can anyone explain in layman's terms the benefit of running 2 graphics cards in sli or crossfire? Does it work with every application or does the app have to have built in support? (just a curiousity, no plans to spend any more than i have already)

It's cheaper alternative to getting a more expensive card. Like when I got my 8800GT for sli I paid $400 it was around $500 IIRC for a 8800GTX which 8800GTs in sli outperformed anyhow. Most games now are having built in support, some you have to mess with settings since it doesn't like it. Obviously you need a sli/crossfire motherboard to support it, etc.

godhandiscen

EviLore said:

-3dmark 06
-3dmark Vantage

So what were your numbers for those settings with your current hardware?

fresquito

bigmit3737 said:
How much does the MX518 Usually run for?

I am thinking of getting that or the G5.

Do you guys think the Q9550 Will drop in price by the end of May?

If not, I am thinking of just getting a decent dual core and then pick up a Quad Core for my board when I7 becomes mainstream, bring down the prices of the P45 processors for my board.
I've just gotten mine through ebay for less than 30€

You can find it here

godhandiscen

Shit, that card may be on par with the 4850.
edit: NVM, the site only shows the 512 version.

papercut

What's a good video card for a 1600x1200 LCD? I'll probably play games on it but I don't want to break the bank on a top of the line card. I was thinking of getting a 1GB 4870...is that enough or do I need an X2 or an nVidia card or something?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
papercut said:
What's a good video card for a 1600x1200 LCD? I'll probably play games on it but I don't want to break the bank on a top of the line card. I was thinking of getting a 1GB 4870...is that enough or do I need an X2 or an nVidia card or something?

That or a GTX 260 should be fine for you.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
papercut said:

At that res I'd even think a cheaper 4850 would perform solidly. It did well enough for me. Can't go wrong with a 4870 1gb or the 260 like Evilore stated though.

What are your other specs?

Darklord

Banned
Can benchmarks slow down the system? I tried a Crysis benchmark and it said it was only running at 20FPS, down to 15FPS sometimes but the only time I noticed slow down while playing the game so far was the first cutscene, the plane flying was jolting as hell, after that nothing.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I got my XFX 4890 in yesterday and put it through its paces. This card is a beast! Compared to my previous card, a 8800GT SC, anyway.

Using Rivatuner and Furmark, I was able to take it to 932mhz core, 1050mhz memory and have it be stable for a few hours with no visible artifacts. 950mhz on the core caused a near instant crash :lol Anyway, I backed it back down to 900/1000 and left it there. Was seeing ~70-75 C on the core at 932mhz, it hovers in the high 60's at 900.

(all benchmarks are at 1920x1200 res)
Crysis Warhead @ full Enthusiast, no AA, I was getting 25-35 fps.
Fallout 3, everything maxed, 8xAA, smooth as silk (~60fps)
Farcry 2, smooth with everything maxed. I need to look up how to show fps in that.

In the end I'm totally satisfied with my upgrade. The only complaint I could levy against it would be the fan noise, which really isn't that bad even when I OC'd it.

System specs:
Q6600 @ 3.2ghz on air, G.Skill 4GB 1066mhz, Corsair 620w PSU, Coolermaster 690 case, Thermaltake Ultima-90 HS with Scythe fan, plus other Scythe fans in the case. 2x750GB WD Black 7200rpm drives.

Brandon F

Darklord said:
Can benchmarks slow down the system? I tried a Crysis benchmark and it said it was only running at 20FPS, down to 15FPS sometimes but the only time I noticed slow down while playing the game so far was the first cutscene, the plane flying was jolting as hell, after that nothing.

Did you try some of the later levels? The early Crysis game is relatively quiet in terms of pushing the limits.

Brandon F

Diseased Yak said:
So I got my XFX 4890 in yesterday and put it through its paces. This card is a beast! Compared to my previous card, a 8800GT SC, anyway.

Using Rivatuner and Furmark, I was able to take it to 932mhz core, 1050mhz memory and have it be stable for a few hours with no visible artifacts. 950mhz on the core caused a near instant crash :lol Anyway, I backed it back down to 900/1000 and left it there. Was seeing ~70-75 C on the core at 932mhz, it hovers in the high 60's at 900.

(all benchmarks are at 1920x1200 res)
Crysis Warhead @ full Enthusiast, no AA, I was getting 25-35 fps.
Fallout 3, everything maxed, 8xAA, smooth as silk (~60fps)
Farcry 2, smooth with everything maxed. I need to look up how to show fps in that.

In the end I'm totally satisfied with my upgrade. The only complaint I could levy against it would be the fan noise, which really isn't that bad even when I OC'd it.

System specs:
Q6600 @ 3.2ghz on air, G.Skill 4GB 1066mhz, Corsair 620w PSU, Coolermaster 690 case, Thermaltake Ultima-90 HS with Scythe fan, plus other Scythe fans in the case. 2x750GB WD Black 7200rpm drives.

Welcome to the club! I got the same card last week and have had similar performance in Crysis. I also have a similar rig(i7 920 though). Awesome card, and even a noticeable upgrade from my not-so-old 4850 512.

papercut

Brandon F said:
At that res I'd even think a cheaper 4850 would perform solidly. It did well enough for me. Can't go wrong with a 4870 1gb or the 260 like Evilore stated though.

What are your other specs?

Thanks for the responses. I think that I'm gonna go with a Phenom 940 and the Gigabyte 790GP-UD4H with 4 gigs of ram. The video card I was thinking of is the Sapphire 1GB 4870 Vapor-X. I guess that I can always stick another one in there later if I need to, right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Darklord said:

open the console with ~ key in-game and type:

r_DisplayInfo = 1

for the built-in fps information. It's likely that you just didn't notice how low your FPS was going, since Crysis handles low framerates very well.

Darklord

Banned
EviLore said:
open the console with ~ key in-game and type:

r_DisplayInfo = 1

for the built-in fps information. It's likely that you just didn't notice how low your FPS was going, since Crysis handles low framerates very well.

I'll try that out, thanks. If it was going as slow at 20FPS I gotta say I'm surprised I couldn't notice it at all. Normally if a game drops that slow I can easily tell.

papercut said:
Thanks for the responses. I think that I'm gonna go with a Phenom 940 and the Gigabyte 790GP-UD4H with 4 gigs of ram. The video card I was thinking of is the Sapphire 1GB 4870 Vapor-X. I guess that I can always stick another one in there later if I need to, right?

If you mean a second video card you need to make sure the motherboard supports crossfire if you're using ATI cards.

Brandon F

papercut said:

Just make sure you have a hefty power supply. Something in the 750+ range to be safe if you plan to add a second 4870.

EviLore said:
My current system:

E6600 @ 2.9ghz (bios revisions seemed to kill my OCing potential at some point...)
GTX 260 @ 650/2400
4GB DDR2-800
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Velociraptor, Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 etc. etc.

New components coming in friday:

Core i7 920 d0 stepping
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
OCZ Platinum 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO HSF

I am really interested in your benchmarks because I need to buy a P35 processor and the Q9550 is really expensive at the moment.
I have the same card as you...

papercut

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If you mean a second video card you need to make sure the motherboard supports crossfire if you're using ATI cards.

The 790GP supports CrossFire, right?

Brandon F said:
Just make sure you have a hefty power supply. Something in the 750+ range to be safe if you plan to add a second 4870.

I have this guy lined up at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709016

I was trying to avoid paying a lot for a power supply. Will that one be able to run two cards?

Darklord

Banned
I just noticed something. The 3 games I've installed on my new PC have taken a pretty long time to install. When I was installed Empire: Total War I noticed only the first core of the i7 was being used(it was around 98-100%) while the rest weren't being used at all. Shouldn't it split the load between all 4 and make it faster? Or is that wrong?

Edit: Actually, now it seems to have started spiting it with the 3rd and 4th core.

Minsc

Gold Member
Something like this Corsair 620 HX would be more than adequate to power two video cards if need be, I would think? I'm not really planning on it, but I'm just curious.

Since it carries three independent 12V rails totaling ~50 amps (+3.3@24A, +5V@30A,+12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@18A, - 12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A). Says it's SLI & Crossfire ready, and they rate the performance at 50C as opposed to 30 or 40C like other companies do, so you get a better idea of the life span of the PSU.

Cheeto

Minsc said:
Something like this Corsair 620 HX would be more than adequate to power two video cards if need be, I would think? I'm not really planning on it, but I'm just curious.

Since it carries three independent 12V rails totaling ~50 amps (+3.3@24A, +5V@30A,+12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@18A, - 12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A). Says it's SLI & Crossfire ready, and they rate the performance at 50C as opposed to 30 or 40C like other companies do, so you get a better idea of the life span of the PSU.
Oh yeah, definitely.

papercut said:
The 790GP supports CrossFire, right?

I have this guy lined up at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709016

I was trying to avoid paying a lot for a power supply. Will that one be able to run two cards?

The system you are looking to build is pretty much identical to mine except I went with an PII x3 720BE. Loving this PSUso far, it has been quiet, reliable and the blue light on it fits in with the rest of my case lights. After the rebate it really is one of the better 'bang for the buck' PSU's, probably why it is sold out right now. I wasa going to go with the same vid card as you but I am going to wait for a Vapor X 4890 or just go with a 4770 and wait for the first round of Dx11 cards. I dunno I pretty much change my mind everyday lol.

Zyzyxxz

So Fry's had a sale on a 4 pack of silent 120mm fans by Cooler Master for only $8.99.

Since my Antec 300 only comes with a single 120mm fan but can support up to 4, this is a good way to upgrade my cooling!

3489573282_00c8ed8830_b.jpg

Maybe my XFX 4870 wont be such a hot bitch now.

Septimus

So I've put this off long enough but I'm finally looking to build a PC. I really need some help since this will be my first time building one. I don't usually game on my PC but I'd like to once I get a new rig. That being said, I still don't think I'd need a super powerful (expensive) video card. Maybe something moderately okay should suffice. Anyways I would like to keep the prices of all the components as cheap as possible. I already have a nice monitor (native res is something like 1600x1050) so I won't be buying a new one. Can anyone make me a list of parts/prices? Oh and they would need to be Canadian. (Toronto more precisely.)

Ideally, the budget would be around 500-600 bucks or so, with some wiggle room.

Otheradam

So I'm thinking of replacing my graphics card but I have a question. My current set up is-

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
MSI 975X Patinum PowerUp Ed
Corsair XMS2 4x1GB DDR2 800
EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO 256MB
Enermax Liberty ATX12V 500W

What's a good card to get? I want to get a GTX 260 but can't since it requires more amp in the 12volt rail than my power supply has (I think). My power supply only has 22amps in each 12v rail. GTX260 requires 37amps or something. Plus my mobo isn't PCI-e 2.0, it's PCI-e 1.0. Does that even matter?

rc213

Zyzyxxz said:
So Fry's had a sale on a 4 pack of silent 120mm fans by Cooler Master for only $8.99.

Since my Antec 300 only comes with a single 120mm fan but can support up to 4, this is a good way to upgrade my cooling!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3658/3489573282_00c8ed8830_b.jpg/IMG]

Maybe my XFX 4870 wont be such a hot bitch now.[/QUOTE]

Which Fry's was this, I've never seen those in the Burbank location. Also, How are they Noise/CFM?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rc213 said:
Which Fry's was this, I've never seen those in the Burbank location. Also, How are they Noise/CFM?
Says on the sticker, at 1200rpm they are pretty quiet. I had a 1800rpm one.

Enermax Liberty ATX12V 500W

What's a good card to get? I want to get a GTX 260 but can't since it requires more amp in the 12volt rail than my power supply has (I think). My power supply only has 22amps in each 12v rail. GTX260 requires 37amps or something. Plus my mobo isn't PCI-e 2.0, it's PCI-e 1.0. Does that even matter?
Proper 4770 (Non retarded cooler) or GTX 260

rc213

Hazaro said:
Says on the sticker, at 1200rpm they are pretty quiet. I had a 1800rpm one.

Proper 4770 (Non retarded cooler) or GTX 260

I never believe what it says on the sticker, They can be slow as hell but have a specific whine/hum to them that can be annoying.

So I went out and bout a Sapphire 4770 and this is a much better experience. None of that multicolored garbage like the XFX gave me, it runs perfectly stable. Two things:

1. Drivers were still a pain to install (same error message I posted before).
2. Catalyst Control Center installs but says it can't work with the driver that's installed, so I can't fine-tune any settings.

Grayman

two of my motherboard mounting screws are not tightening. the holes are lined up, there is no way the bronze thingy is stripped unless it came that way, any ideas before pulling the board out or running with only 3 screws(nearest panel, farthest from that, and middle panel side)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
_leech_ said:
So I went out and bout a Sapphire 4770 and this is a much better experience. None of that multicolored garbage like the XFX gave me, it runs perfectly stable. Two things:

1. Drivers were still a pain to install (same error message I posted before).
2. Catalyst Control Center installs but says it can't work with the driver that's installed, so I can't fine-tune any settings.
I had a similar issue with the 3850 AGP. ATI doesn't officially support the card. I ended up using ATI Tray Tools (which is 100x better than CCC anyway) and hacking the driver ini to recognize my card (google can help with that).

Grayman

Do brass standoffs use
screw a - phillips, head is rounded with a thin lip flat lip around the rounded part flat backside
screw b - common outside case screws. phillips head, hexagonal sides, reverse is toothed.

maybe it was a 1 in one million shot that two screw a's fell into the brass standoffs randomly...

I was using "screw a" but "b" unexpectedly fits well. going to experiment with screw b. oh yeah that worked. time to wire :D

Top Bottom