• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "I need a new PC!!" 2009 Edition

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
gregor7777 said:
Just grabbed a 4830 from newegg. Can't beat 79.99 for a decent GPU. I'm hurting at CPU so anything more might have been bottlenecked. Hell, this may be bottlenecked but for $79 who cares?
I'd wait for the 4770 non-retarded cooler revision actually. It's about the same price for graphics, but better memory and will last longer, it's more a 4850 than 4830, also uses a lot less power and produces less heat.

I'm sure newegg would be more than happy to take it back.
If you don't want to worry about the hassle it's still a fine card at a good price. (After rebate or open box?)
Grayman said:
I may have found a factor.

OCCT is not showing a 12V stat now. I only noticed because I was going to delete a 6 min test I did yesterday and saw that test had an extra graph. I don't know what to look for in power supply problems though, the only thing I can think of changing between then and now is plugging the case fan in.
I don't trust OCCT's voltage graphs much, I also don't think that it would be the issue.

Run ATiTool and see if you get artifacts.

Fio

For the people who wants to put their GPU under stress to check if it's overheating I recommend FurMark. Little app that'll put your GPU under heavy stress and offers real-time monitoring of the temperature. Let it run for like 1 hour and check if something happens.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fio said:
For the people who wants to put their GPU under stress to check if it's overheating I recommend FurMark. Little app that'll put your GPU under heavy stress and offers real-time monitoring of the temperature. Let it run for like 1 hour and check if something happens.
FurMark I would use instead, but ATiTool will tell you if it errors. For loading Furmark is better.
Grayman said:
How long should I be running ATITool?
I'd give it 15 minutes

Hazaro said:
I'd wait for the 4770 non-retarded cooler revision actually. It's about the same price for graphics, but better memory and will last longer, it's more a 4850 than 4830, also uses a lot less power and produces less heat.

It's 79.99 after MIR, 89.99 before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102822

Yeah, I've waited awhile already and I'm sure I'll be happy with it at the price. I'll read up on the 4770 but unless it gets released today I'm pretty much done with waiting.

EDIT: Just read the Tom's review. Looks like it will be at $109? That's an awesome price, but still $30 more.

We'll see. Thanks for the tip though.

BTW, what's wrong with the 4830 cooler?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
gregor7777 said:

Yeah, I've waited awhile already and I'm sure I'll be happy with it at the price. I'll read up on the 4770 but unless it gets released today I'd pretty much done with waiting.

EDIT: Just read the Tom's review. Looks like it will be at $109? That's an awesome price, but still $30 more.

4830 is fine, it's the first batch of 4770's.
Which are going at $99, and maybe a MIR here or there.
Offcial launch is 5/5 but early stock has hit a few suppliers (The iffy cooler)

Hazaro said:
4830 is fine, it's the first batch of 4770's.
Which are going at $99, and maybe a MIR here or there.
Offcial launch is 5/5 but early stock has hit a few suppliers (The iffy cooler)

Are they? That Tom's review mentioned specifically that ATI retracted what they said about the $99 price and are going to go for $109. Of course, rebates will probably knock that down a bit.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4770,2281-14.html

Well, you know what they say about too good to be true. At the last minute, ATI changed the price to $109. Nothing about the card's performance was altered. It remains a fast little board with good power consumption numbers. But it lost that "in your face for under $100" sass. For 20 bucks less, you can still pick up a Radeon HD 4830 (a card that still performs very well). Or, for 20 bucks more, you could grab the Radeon HD 4850 or a 512 MB GeForce GTS 250 (cards that are generally faster). The 4770 is now priced appropriately, not spectacularly.

EDIT: ah, I see you mentioned people are already selling them? I assume for $99?

rc213

gregor7777 said:

Yeah, I've waited awhile already and I'm sure I'll be happy with it at the price. I'll read up on the 4770 but unless it gets released today I'm pretty much done with waiting.

Nevermind, Just noticed that one has a extra PCI plate and HDMI, Mine doesn't.

Grayman

As far as I can tell I did not have a bsod, there are no logs or dumps. It is like I actually lost power for a split second. How would this not happen in source games or tests though? just LP and PK.

nib95

Banned
This thread has been really popular lately. Anyway, just picked up my new monitor! HP LP2475w! Stunning monitor. I'm truly impressed. Managed to blow my old Dell 2407WFP out the window. Colour accuracy on this new set is just fantastic.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hazaro said:

I'm sure newegg would be more than happy to take it back.
If you don't want to worry about the hassle it's still a fine card at a good price. (After rebate or open box?)

I don't trust OCCT's voltage graphs much, I also don't think that it would be the issue.

Run ATiTool and see if you get artifacts.
I would wait for a card with GDDR5 and a 256 bit bus (4790?). I would be shocked if we don't get this soon.

Darklord

Banned
I have a Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 CPU cooler in my new PC. However, I looked inside today and saw it wasn't running. Is it only meant to come on when it reaches a certain temperature or is it not working?

Slavik81

Grayman said:
Newegg.ca took exactly one week for me(order thursday night and got the package on thursday) and there was no border wait with it jumping from oregon to richmond on tracking. I am not defending 50 bucks shipping for one week delivery but my experience was not as bad as yours.
Oh, it's not bad. A week and a half for the shipping price they charge is reasonable. I was just spoiled by the exceptional job that DirectCanada and Compu2000 did.

madmook

nib95 said:
This thread has been really popular lately. Anyway, just picked up my new monitor! HP LP2475w! Stunning monitor. I'm truly impressed. Managed to blow my old Dell 2407WFP out the window. Colour accuracy on this new set is just fantastic.
I've never had or used a higher-quality LCD before, and the HP 2475 has caught my eye because its pretty much the cheapest 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel available. But user reviews on Newegg have put me off at the moment, as a lot of them complain about whacked calibration out of the box (and recommending professional tools to correct) and over-saturation. What do you think about the monitor regarding these issues?

I'm more of a casual user, so the only calibration I do on my monitors is whatever's available in their menu.

---

On a different note, I'm also interested in a HD 4770 because I wanna build one of those little Shuttle barebone systems, but I'd have to wait on one with a single-slot cooler.

besiktas1

Hazaro said:
Since newer version of PS take advantage of GPU it is important.

i7 is not a good choice with your budget, and Phenom's are exactly great at photoshop...or video editing as the Intel Quads are.

Are you building it yourself?
Nope I want it premade,

I didn't get the last bit, Phenoms are great at photoshop as the Quads are... is that a type-o?

Zyzyxxz

madmook said:
I've never had or used a higher-quality LCD before, and the HP 2475 has caught my eye because its pretty much the cheapest 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel available. But user reviews on Newegg have put me off at the moment, as a lot of them complain about whacked calibration out of the box (and recommending professional tools to correct) and over-saturation. What do you think about the monitor regarding these issues?

I'm more of a casual user, so the only calibration I do on my monitors is whatever's available in their menu.

---

On a different note, I'm also interested in a HD 4770 because I wanna build one of those little Shuttle barebone systems, but I'd have to wait on one with a single-slot cooler.

Unless its really widespread complaints just go with it and calibrate it yourself, with the correct settings you can make it look quite good without professional calibration.

The the people complaining may be the far and few who shouldn't even be looking at the lower end of 24" IPS if color correction is so important to them.

Anyway as for the 4770, if you are gonna do 1900x1200 then make sure you at least get a 1gig card, if you're a casual gamer just get the 4870 1gig since its probably gonna be phased out soon and prices should start dropping. Then again I doub't it would fit in the shuttle so that complicates things.

Zyzyxxz

besiktas1 said:
Nope I want it premade,

I didn't get the last bit, Phenoms are great at photoshop as the Quads are... is that a type-o?

I think he meant the new Phenoms are as good as the Core2Quads are in terms of photoshop application performance.

The Core i7's may be even better but for the money you gotta consider if you really need all that performance, which more likely you wont.

nib95

Banned
madmook said:

---

Well, I've never used a monitor that didn't have wacky out of box default settings, but the LP2475 is no different. It's definitely overtly saturated and yellow to begin with. But a quick blast of my Huey Pro completely sorted it and now the IQ boggles the mind!

Why don't you pick up a cheap calibrator? Like the Pantone Huey? Always good to have and gets the job done nice. Either way, out of the box you can make some nice tweaks to get yourself on the right track even if you don't have a calibrator.

These settings work well un-calibrated, taken from TFT Central.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Brightness: 17
Contrast: 65
RGB: 251 / 235 / 242

But I do highly recommend this set. Stay clear of TN panels completely. If you want the best colour accuracy stick with S-IPS panels. If you're not as fussed, go with a PVA panel. Just make sure you stay away from TN's. I've used my fair share, and while motion is done well, viewing angles are most often atrocious.

I bought a "temporary" 24" to last me while I waited for my new HP to be delivered. That temporary monitor was the HP w2448hc. Wow....what a difference £100 makes. (LP2475 was £420, the w244 was £320.) Disgusting levels of reflection (barely any on the LP2475). Terrible viewing angles and poor colour reproduction. I would have paid £200+ extra for this LP2475. That's how much of a step up it is imo.

besiktas1

Zyzyxxz said:
I think he meant the new Phenoms are as good as the Core2Quads are in terms of photoshop application performance.

The Core i7's may be even better but for the money you gotta consider if you really need all that performance, which more likely you wont.
So got any recommendations for me then? :)

I'm also guessing I need a shit load of ram. The more the better? or after a while does it not matter?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
besiktas1 said:
So got any recommendations for me then? :)

I'm also guessing I need a shit load of ram. The more the better? or after a while does it not matter?
I meant NOT exactly great.
The intel quads are faster than the phenoms at PS and video editing work overall.

i7 is better, but it's a bit over budget.

besiktas1

Hazaro said:
I meant NOT exactly great.
The intel quads are faster than the phenoms at PS and video editing work overall.

i7 is better, but it's a bit over budget.
Cool so it's a quad core with lots of ram right, the more the better?

besiktas1

Ok I found this, any good

XPS 430
Strikes the perfect balance of performance & rich multimedia features for rich digital content creation
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Core Processor Q8200 (2.33GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB cache) - PREMIUM Chassis
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit) - English
Display Not Included
6144MB 1066 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048 + 2x1024]
1TB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive
http://www.dell.co.uk/home/desktops?~ck=mn#subcats=&navla=&a=40189~0~396646,40186~0~196654&page=1

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Thought i should ask this here!

Anyone else having the cryostasis demo crash/Lock up like crazy?
Could be my GTS 250 card? Even with lowered settings it locks up and i get a display driver error but im up to date ect...

Phenom 2 X3 at 3.2 Ghz / GTS 250 are the specs. Seems very odd for this game to do that.

For a comparison ive been playing crysis(Very high)/DoW2/Sacred 2 maxed perfectly fine. I really want to play the cryostasis demo!!!!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zyzyxxz said:
Does it have a videocard, I can't really see the link? If not then add one because Photoshop CS4 supports GPU acceleration, meaning you can get more performance out of the system without having the need to go Core i7
Dell offers MX Revolution yeah! :D

I'd change the video card to default (3650?) and buy one separately, but this is the budget you gave me. For another $70 you can get the 4850, a gaming card instead.

2e52npy.jpg

Slavik81

Septimus said:
So I've put this off long enough but I'm finally looking to build a PC. I really need some help since this will be my first time building one. I don't usually game on my PC but I'd like to once I get a new rig. That being said, I still don't think I'd need a super powerful (expensive) video card. Maybe something moderately okay should suffice. Anyways I would like to keep the prices of all the components as cheap as possible. I already have a nice monitor (native res is something like 1600x1050) so I won't be buying a new one. Can anyone make me a list of parts/prices? Oh and they would need to be Canadian. (Toronto more precisely.)

Ideally, the budget would be around 500-600 bucks or so, with some wiggle room.
I'm not particularly familiar with the best parts, particularly in that price range.
But maybe something like this:

Linky.

NameIess

^You would get good results with most titles, but you are not maxing out any new titles with that setup... If you want a decent setup at a inexpensive price you have a winner, but I would argue the 360 can hang with that rig and is less than half the price.

If you plan to use the rig for more than gaming ignore my last comment.

Now Hazaro's Dell rig is a beast and should provide some strong PC results at higher resolutions.
*I know you can go crazy with SLI or Crossfire setups, but that's way over the top from a cost perspective IMO.*

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NameIess said:
^You would get good results with most titles, but you are not maxing out any new titles with that setup... If you want a decent setup at a inexpensive price you have a winner, but I would argue the 360 can hang with that rig and is less than half the price.

If you plan to use the rig for more than gaming ignore my last comment.

Now Hazaro's Dell rig is a beast and should provide some strong PC results at higher resolutions.
*I know you can go crazy with SLI or Crossfire setups, but that's way over the top from a cost perspective IMO.*
That Dell is for PS and video work.

The Econobox at $500-$600 with a E5200 + 4770 is a fantastic buy for gaming.

madmook

nib95 said:
Well, I've never used a monitor that didn't have wacky out of box default settings, but the LP2475 is no different. It's definitely overtly saturated and yellow to begin with. But a quick blast of my Huey Pro completely sorted it and now the IQ boggles the mind!

Why don't you pick up a cheap calibrator? Like the Pantone Huey? Always good to have and gets the job done nice. Either way, out of the box you can make some nice tweaks to get yourself on the right track even if you don't have a calibrator.

These settings work well un-calibrated, taken from TFT Central.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Brightness: 17
Contrast: 65
RGB: 251 / 235 / 242

But I do highly recommend this set. Stay clear of TN panels completely. If you want the best colour accuracy stick with S-IPS panels. If you're not as fussed, go with a PVA panel. Just make sure you stay away from TN's. I've used my fair share, and while motion is done well, viewing angles are most often atrocious.

I bought a "temporary" 24" to last me while I waited for my new HP to be delivered. That temporary monitor was the HP w2448hc. Wow....what a difference £100 makes. (LP2475 was £420, the w244 was £320.) Disgusting levels of reflection (barely any on the LP2475). Terrible viewing angles and poor colour reproduction. I would have paid £200+ extra for this LP2475. That's how much of a step up it is imo.
Thanks for the info. So you say the screen on the 2475 is not too bad with reflections, despite being glossy?

Darklord said:
I have a Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 CPU cooler in my new PC. However, I looked inside today and saw it wasn't running. Is it only meant to come on when it reaches a certain temperature or is it not working?

The fans should be running all the time. Check your power supply connection for the fans.

Anony

well, if you didnt notice on the 4770, you get a 2-pin fan, this means ONE speed fan, it is always on the highest

this is the exact same problem i have with the 4670, you've gonna buy a controller if you care about it

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anony said:
well, if you didnt notice on the 4770, you get a 2-pin fan, this means ONE speed fan, it is always on the highest

this is the exact same problem i have with the 4670, you've gonna buy a controller if you care about it
Doesn't seem that bad.
*Reviews say different numbers for idle/load (Just 39/40 though)
Are you talking about the reference or the first batch that 'wasn't' supposed to go out?
noise-load.gif

Anony said:

I can pretty much confirm that this isn't true. When your computer boots up you hear the fan going at full speed, then it slows down to the point where it's inaudible. During gameplay you can hear it as it gets faster, but it never reaches the same speed or noise as it did when the computer first booted up. This is the card I have:

Sap4770.jpg

It's the quietest videocard i've ever owned.

Darklord

Banned
broadwayrock said:
The fans should be running all the time. Check your power supply connection for the fans.

Shit. I better check it then before it over heats or something. I hope its not faulty.

Edit: I opened it up and found a cable not plugged in. I guess that's why it isn't running. No idea where to put it though, I guess I better find the manual. :|

Darklord said:
Shit. I better check it then before it over heats or something. I hope its not faulty.

Edit: I opened it up and found a cable not plugged in. I guess that's why it isn't running. No idea where to put it though, I guess I better find the manual. :|

You connect them to the 3-pin fan sockets on the motherboard. There should be some near the area where the cpu is.

Darklord

Banned
broadwayrock said:
You connect them to the 3-pin fan sockets on the motherboard. There should be some near the area where the cpu is.

Oh yeah, I see it. It works fine now. Thanks. It's so quite! Maybe I should get a new fan for my GPU its loud as anything.

nib95

Banned
madmook said:
Thanks for the info. So you say the screen on the 2475 is not too bad with reflections, despite being glossy?

Nope. It has some sort of matt coating, similar to my old Dell. There are no reflections on it at all, just some mild glare. But it's better than with most screens I've used.

Jasconius

Looking to upgrade my PC finally (had it for about 5 years now) to something that's not top-of-the-line but will hopefully last me about as long. I don't play a lot of graphics-intensive games (really mostly WoW these days) but I also do want to be able to play non-FPS games that come out for the next five years without having to upgrade a lot.

Having been 5 years since I built my last PC, I'm really out of the loop on PC hardware, but after looking through the tips here I came up with this on newegg:

(EDIT: updated list after EvilLore pointed out I shouldn't buy Vista)

$24.99 SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
$79.99 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
$59.99 SAPPHIRE 100248L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$69.99 Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail
$39.99 Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail
$8.99 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$53.99 mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996587 - Retail
$167.99 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
$26.99 COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - Retail
$154.98Rosewill R5604-BK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Dual 120mm Fans Screw-Less design ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail + ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$26.99 Shipping

Total = $714.88 - $35 MIR

I've always built my PCs and looking around at premade sites I didn't really see anything that struck me as a super deal and still gave me good quality stuff that will last. However, I am open to any suggestions and would really love any input on this stuff! I'm really trying to spend around $800 or less but if you have any ideas on where I might be able to save some money and still get what I'm looking for, please tell me!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Jasconius said:
Looking to upgrade my PC finally (had it for about 5 years now) to something that's not top-of-the-line but will hopefully last me about as long. I don't play a lot of graphics-intensive games (really mostly WoW these days) but I also do want to be able to play non-FPS games that come out for the next five years without having to upgrade a lot.

Having been 5 years since I built my last PC, I'm really out of the loop on PC hardware, but after looking through the tips here I came up with this on newegg:

$24.99 SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM
$59.99 Rosewill R5604-TBK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$79.99 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
$59.99 SAPPHIRE 100248L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$69.99 Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail
$39.99 Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB or PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail
$8.99 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$53.99 mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996587 - Retail
$167.99 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
$26.99 COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler - Retail
$229.94 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM + ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$26.99 Shipping

Total = $849.43 - $35 MIR

I've always built my PCs and looking around at premade sites I didn't really see anything that struck me as a super deal and still gave me good quality stuff that will last. However, I am open to any suggestions and would really love any input on this stuff! This is pretty much the high end of my budget, maybe $50 more but if you have any ideas on where I might be able to save some money and still get what I'm looking for, please tell me!

I don't really recommend buying Vista at this point. Windows 7 RC1 is stable and legal and usable until next year (can get the retail version of 7 then or when it comes out).

Jasconius

EviLore said:
I don't really recommend buying Vista at this point. Windows 7 RC1 is stable and legal and usable until next year (can get the retail version of 7 then or when it comes out).
Oh, awesome. I didn't even realize that was an option, haha! Thanks!

nib95

Banned
EviLore said:

Is there a public download link for Windows 7 RC yet? I already have a BETA key. Was going to use it instead of my current OS, Vista 64, but was scared off by some issues around memory leaks?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
nib95 said:
Is there a public download link for Windows 7 RC yet? I already have a BETA key. Was going to use it instead of my current OS, Vista 64, but was scared off by some issues around memory leaks?

Last I heard it'll be available May 5th publicly from microsoft, IIRC.

Top Bottom