• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Online Franchise Interest Thread

lol i dont even remember which song that was from. i bought the dvd and was just scanning for us on all the songs and found it and got the screen shot. i think it might have been during Razor (i doubt it) or What If I Do.... you find it!

Rorschach

I own the DVD and I was at that concert, but I think it's unfair that something he shared with y'all gets used against him. :(

DMczaf

Rorschach said:
I own the DVD and I was at that concert, but I think it's unfair that something he shared with y'all gets used against him. :(

Stop trying to butter him up for the jgar trade! He's not going to give you PWillis!

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
Stop trying to butter him up for the jgar trade! He's not going to give you PWillis!
I don't need to butter him up as I'm not asking for much. :D If anything, he'll get the better end of the deal. :p

one of the early rules i've come up with is no in-season trading players unless it is desperate and injury related.

i don't want the league to turn into NBA 2k9 where we see peyton manning on the redskins or shaun hill on the patriots. RARELY do trades happen during the regular season in the NFL, so it won't be any different here.

but, like i said, i understand if you get a season ending injury to an area of importance and have a deal on the table to replace that so i would consider those. otherwise don't bother!

i was also thinking about what happens on a disconnect when your team had suffered an injury in the game. lets say gentle ben is injured in the first quarter and it says "serious", then the game disconnects. well you're back to healthy, which really isn't fair. i don't know how we're going to deal with that. i was thinking maybe sitting him for X amount of games depending on the injury but i don't know. what do you guys think?

Striker

It should be cool/interesting if we have guys out say 12 weeks, but instead of waiting for them to play or come back within time, and playing a mediocre or poor backup to trade for a decent backup on another team. I wonder how trades work, though. League favor or commish rules only?

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
one of the early rules i've come up with is no in-season trading players unless it is desperate and injury related.

i don't want the league to turn into NBA 2k9 where we see peyton manning on the redskins or shaun hill on the patriots. RARELY do trades happen during the regular season in the NFL, so it won't be any different here.

but, like i said, i understand if you get a season ending injury to an area of importance and have a deal on the table to replace that so i would consider those. otherwise don't bother!

i was also thinking about what happens on a disconnect when your team had suffered an injury in the game. lets say gentle ben is injured in the first quarter and it says "serious", then the game disconnects. well you're back to healthy, which really isn't fair. i don't know how we're going to deal with that. i was thinking maybe sitting him for X amount of games depending on the injury but i don't know. what do you guys think?
Why not just institute a deadline and an approval process. Both options are available to the creator of the league, I think. If someone gets injured after the deadline, they can do what real teams normally do after the deadline and try to patch it through free agency (because we don't have practice squads :().

I think that injury thing is a good idea, but hopefully, it saves those things server side.

yeah i'll likely just do a trade deadline (week 6) and then monitor all trades. just dont want this shit turning into a fantasy football league where all the superstars are on different squads!

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
yeah i'll likely just do a trade deadline (week 6) and then monitor all trades. just dont want this shit turning into a fantasy football league where all the superstars are on different squads!
Aww I wanted to do 25 player 5 way trades that make the teams unrecognizable. :(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Can I send Grossman back to the Bears,you cool with that FMT?

i have no problems with any minor trades in the pre-season or regular season. but any big name trades will have to be taken to the gaf madden commish councel (of which there are 5 members!)

p.s. what are grossmans ratings anyways? they have to be decent if you take the "awareness" rating out

orlovsky1.jpg

Striker

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i have no problems with any minor trades in the pre-season or regular season. but any big name trades will have to be taken to the gaf madden commish councel (of which there are 5 members!)

p.s. what are grossmans ratings anyways? they have to be decent if you take the "awareness" rating out
By big name trades, does Braylon Edwards count? :p

Rorschach

Striker said:
By big name trades, does Braylon Edwards count? :p
As someone who has a shitty receiving squad, I gotta ask: why would you do that to yourself? :lol You have crappy back up WRs and shitty QBs that need development. And Edwards is young to boot.

Not that I'm telling you not to do it. I'm just wondering why. :p

Striker

I just don't value WR's too great on Madden. Plus there's always fast guys in the draft to build up. I think with Edwards' rating I can get some good DEF player and more in return. :p

Just throwin' it out there!

Rorschach

Striker said:
I just don't value WR's too great on Madden. Plus there's always fast guys in the draft to build up.

al+davis.jpg

Hire this kid!

I think with Edwards' rating I can get some good DEF player and more in return. :p

Just throwin' it out there!
I think his catch rating might lower it a little bit. Although, I'd still take him for sure.

Are you gonna run the 3-4 or are you switching to 4-3?

If you're switching to 4-3, Mr Burgess might get his wish and get out of Oaktown!

Rorschach said:
al+davis.jpg

Hire this kid!

lol that's exactly what I was thinking when I read that. The days of "speed is all you need" in Madden is over I think; from what I have read the other WR characteristics will matter more this year.

Slo

I find the no trades rule irritating. Seems that half the point of franchise is to be able to reinvent your team as you see fit. Or in MrBob's case, just blow the whole thing up and start rebuilding for 2015.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I agree with limiting trades. Keeping up with all the trades that go on in the NBA 2K league is almost a game in itself. I think you either keep the teams as they are with very limited trades, or you just have a draft at the beginning of the season with all the players in a big pool. The latter is very unappealing to me, so I say go with the former.

Slo

How about this:

Preseason: Anything goes.
Weeks 10-12: Trading window. Decide if you're a buyer or a seller, or just hold onto what you've got.
All other weeks: No major trades.

DCX

DCX
Jerious Norwood is on the block laddies, 79 rated Rb with great speed! looking for secondary help or WR, Braylon, come to papa! I'd take Plax with no problem or Vick... :D

DCX

Mrbob

The trades are funny in NBA2K9, but if Madden becomes this I'm out.

I don't want that same kind of goofiness here where you trade away your entire starting lineup.

Maybe limit it to 1 or 2 trades a year, and then the trades are monitored by Madden Council of 5.

Having said this, I'm willing to part with Cutler for another elite qb and 10 first round picks. Make me a offer (REX DOESN'T COUNT MATRIX!)!

Slo

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of online franchise without trades. Am I supposed to draft a franchise QB and coach him up in the 1.5 seasons this thing will last before people are snapping their game discs in half and quitting like happens every year? :lol

Why not just play regular 1 season leagues like normal at that point?

DMczaf

Slo said:
I'm not sure I understand the appeal of online franchise without trades. Am I supposed to draft a franchise QB and coach him up in the 1.5 seasons

Considering you're a Vikings fan, I can understand why this is a difficult thing to understand.

there is trading in pre-season, but it's not going to get crazy. for instance i would veto a trade of adrian peterson and kevin williams for clinton portis and andre carter.

and as far as how long the league is going to last, the jury is still out! we've never played in an online franchise so we don't know what people will put up with in regard to gameplay. if NCAA is any indication, people will put up with a lot of garbage because online franchise is awesome. i would anticipate we play into next april/may/june for madden

Rorschach

Slo said:
How about this:

Preseason: Anything goes.
Weeks 10-12: Trading window. Decide if you're a buyer or a seller, or just hold onto what you've got.
All other weeks: No major trades.
Howabout this instead:
Pre-season: all major trades happen here
Weeks 1-6: Minor trades with the rare exception
After week 6: trading closed

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of online franchise without trades.
We're not saying there won't be any trades, but even the NFL has a trading deadline. You WILL be able to make big trades, but there are some limitations... like MrBob's retarded trade offer.

Striker said:
Can we still adjust a players position; i.e. a CB goes to FS, or ILB to OLB?
If previous games are any indication, you can, but they will take a hit in the ratings. Rookies are more flexable and can be molded into those positions.

Somnia

Rorschach said:
Howabout this instead:

This here sounds perfect. Of course there will be a few big trades, but they have to be in reason. I feel bad for the commishs who have to look at all the trades :lol

Striker

Rorschach said:
Howabout this instead:
Sounds good to me!

If previous games are any indication, you can, but they will take a hit in the ratings. Rookies are more flexable and can be molded into those positions.
Oh, that's understandable. I was just hoping I could move my OLB to DE or if I sign or trade for a DE and want to use him at OLB in a 3-4, and the Safety/CB area some people tweak with older veterans moving to FS when they pass their prime.

getting back to "well the league is only going to last X amount of seasons", we are no longer held hostage by not having 32 people, or not having 28 people, or people leaving, because i can always let the CPU take over those teams.

as far as i'm concerned i will run this league until the middle of next season, whether we have 32 people or 10 people at that time.

of course playing the CPU isn't the same as playing human opponents, but it's still better than nothing and it's not like there will be no human matchups.

on the trade front, we're not banning trades or even "big" trades. i'm just saying i dont want this to turn into a fantasy league. but that is why we have multiple commishes. if i dont feel something should fly but all the other commishes do then the trade will happen.

and slo i dont know why you would want to trade OR draft a qb when you have rosencopter on your squad!

charsace

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Yes. I swear to some of the 2k trades are rigged!

LukeSmith

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Eh, I think there's a lot of work and data collection to be done before you make a rule like this. I think it'd be pretty suspicious and obvious if everytime Josh "brittle wrist" Freeman gets hurt DM magically loses his connection and I think that'd probably warrant some action, but arbitrarily benching a player who isn't hurt because of something that happened in a game that isn't directly related to the one being played at that moment seems hasty. We could've done the exact same thing in the previous leagues, hell, Javon Walker had the greatest season in the history of gaming while being injured in real life for the whole season. If there's a litany of bonus rules that we have to adhere - even more than we'll have by default once we realize the FB Dive is broken (again) - FMT's league could become the No Fun League!

Art imitating life!

If there's a litany of bonus rules that we have to adhere - even more than we'll have by default once we realize the FB Dive is broken (again) - FMT's league could become the No Fun League!

that's why i asked everyones opinion! :D

there are no rules in the league yet.... not even the trade rule is set in stone!

I think rules on injuries/disconnects are overkill. I don't think it'll be an issue to be honest. In the rare scenario something like that happens, I'd think we have enough stand up guys that wouldn't mind running it back and letting the results fall as they may.

Striker

Wellington said:
I have a bunch of DTs and DEs you may be interested in. :D
Kiwanuka and a WR may be intriguing enough... we'll talk some more, friend!

Also, since the Facebook thing kind of shit away, why not create an alternate profile on XBL called "Madden 10 Franchise GAF" or something? Add all of us who are in the league and make invites easier instead of having all members added on the respected Friends List.

Birdman02

Striker said:
Also, since the Facebook thing kind of shit away, why not create an alternate profile on XBL called "Madden 10 Franchise GAF" or something? Add all of us who are in the league and make invites easier instead of having all members added on the respected Friends List.

Good idea. I think Smokey made an GAF Madden GT a couple of seasons ago for the "Rookies" league. That seemed to work pretty well that year.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Somnia said:

That bullshit will haunt me the rest of my life. Along with the play when he got stripped in the same game. Lastly, the INT he threw to seal the deal.

That was a meltdown of epic proportions that will never be seen again.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Shawnwhann said:
I think rules on injuries/disconnects are overkill. I don't think it'll be an issue to be honest. In the rare scenario something like that happens, I'd think we have enough stand up guys that wouldn't mind running it back and letting the results fall as they may.

Yeah, that is how I got my Madden Championship...right FMT???

LukeSmith

dskillzhtown said:
That bullshit will haunt me the rest of my life. Along with the play when he got stripped in the same game. Lastly, the INT he threw to seal the deal.

That was a meltdown of epic proportions that will never be seen again.

Oh it is seen my friend. In Casa del Smith on my TiVo. It is seen.

Top Bottom