• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Online Franchise Interest Thread

Rorschach

Striker said:
Kiwanuka and a WR may be intriguing enough... we'll talk some more, friend!

Also, since the Facebook thing kind of shit away, why not create an alternate profile on XBL called "Madden 10 Franchise GAF" or something? Add all of us who are in the league and make invites easier instead of having all members added on the respected Friends List.
The league will have a list of tags and stuff already. :p And you can access it through the web! Oh, and you can send/receive messages via the web through XBL too.

what does everyone think about the draft issue?

i.e. the broncos have the bears first rounder next year, 49ers have the panthers 1st, etc. should we work something out where that stays true in the game or just say fuck it and go with whatever is there?

Rorschach

I'd vote to fix it, but I'm down for either. It's kind of unfair that they get all the benefits without paying for them. Especially MrBob who won't shut the fuck up about Cutler and was all for that lopsided trade!

That would make a good poll question. :p

Somnia

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what does everyone think about the draft issue?

i.e. the broncos have the bears first rounder next year, 49ers have the panthers 1st, etc. should we work something out where that stays true in the game or just say fuck it and go with whatever is there?
If we can find a way we have to fix it for sure. Might be tough if everyone doesn't show on draft day though unless we can somehow fix it without telling them who to draft and then drop em to FA.

well another idea is just trade the pick to someone for the pick they deserve and another low end pick. for instance:

Broncos Get:

Bears 1st Rounder
Bears 7th Rounder

Bears get:

Broncos 7th Rounder

at that point you are getting into a higher/lower pick in the 7th round, but i think that would be worth it overall. plus we'd only have to do it once

DMczaf

New interview

http://www.gameshark.com/features/601/p_10/Madden-NFL-10-Developer-Q&A.htm

Donny: Here’s the lowdown: 10 full seasons. 32 teams. 8 divisions. 2 conferences. Real NFL schedule starting in Week 1 of the regular season. 17 week regular season. Each team has a BYE week. 6 teams make the NFL Playoffs in each conference. Wild Card Week, Divisional Playoffs, Conference Championships, Super Bowl. Advance to off-season.

We have player progression and regression – players get better…and get older. Players retire. We have full multi week, end-of-season, and career ending injuries. Same injury decisions you make in-game in offline franchise, you also make them here in online franchise too. They play a huge role, let me tell you. In the 23 man online franchise we are in at work currently (I am Atlanta), I just had John Abraham go out for 6 weeks with partial shoulder tear. Safe to say, I have zero pass rush now (but I am 8-2 in week 11!).

We have unbalanced and multiple player trades. Meaning, you can do 2 for 1, 3 for 2, or 3 for 3 if you want….and anything in between. We do not have CPU logic analyzing trades this year, so we default the online franchise to Trades On (With no CPU). This way, you can trade with all human owners, but the CPU teams are off-limits. You can also play with Trades On, but CPU teams will process all trades that are offered up.

We have NFL Drafts every year. Live Online NFL Drafts. Console and PC both connected- so you can participate from either! Chat rooms. VOIP for Xbox Live. 7 rounds. If you cannot attend the draft, we let you set up your pre-ranking draft board per position and by overall, and the draft board will draft based on your pre-rankings. Hand crafted Head Coach classes along with some new Madden NFL 10 rookies Josh and I created over the last 2 years. We also have Edit Jersey Number for your players (in case you don’t like the rookie numbers Josh gives you!). The commish can edit the entire league’s jersey numbers (for CPU teams who get rookie numbers they don’t like).

If you don’t want to start with real NFL team rosters as we head into the 2009 NFL season…you don’t have to. You can also start your online franchise out with a 54 round Fantasy Draft. All players in the NFL are eligible to be drafted. This is the perfect setup for the super competitive online franchise that will be starting up everywhere on August 14th. Great league balancer.

Fantasy Drafts are serpentine like fantasy drafts (i.e. snake draft – where if you pick last in 1st round, you pick first in 2nd round). So many ways to draft a team, so many draft strategies around how to build an NFL franchise. Well, here is the ultimate shot, and now you can back it up with your Madden game! A sidenote here to folks who think a 54 round draft with 32 teams would take forever, couple things. First, we give the commish the ability to set the time per round. Second, CPU teams pretty much quick-fire-pick after 2-3 seconds. Third, we give the commish the ability to pause the draft. So if you wanted to split your drafts into a Day One and Day Two, you have that option because the commish can pause the draft at anytime, and pick it back up at any other point.

As far as free agency goes, we have a free agent wire. So you can release players and pick up free agents on a first come, first served basis. We do not have an off-season free agency or salary cap this year, but it is something that is the top of our list obviously to get put into the game. That being said, we do have a web-exclusive Commish Add/Drop Tool that allows you and your online franchise buddies the ability to stage an offline free agency with whatever house rules you want to. At the office, we did one where we made everyone give up five 75+ OVR players (including CPU teams). Then, we had a quick free agency draft and we were off to Year 2. Rosters are on lockdown during this stage of the offseason (where the Commish can Add/Drop), so nobody can cheat the system (yet).

For all interested parties, I'm putting Marion Barber (only 26 yrs old) on the block because I have a spoil of riches in my backfield. Felix Jones and Tashard Choice will be my guys.

I'll be entertaining offers that feature corners, receivers, defensive ends, or safeties. :D

DMczaf

I bought Super SF2 Turbo Remix during the XBLA sale, I know some Madden League players have it! Let's get some party fightin' in!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DMczaf said:
Aw fuck, so with no contracts you can't even really say X player is signed for Y years, is an RFA in year Z, and the year after is a UFA?

The effort they put forth is awesome, but this is some just basic shit that should be in. If, for example, Osi has like 30 sacks this year, I know I won't be able to pay the extension he's going to want (IRL) so you'd have like a 90+ player out there for a team way under the cap to nab (Looking in DMs direction).

Rorschach

Wellington said:
Aw fuck, so with no contracts you can't even really say X player is signed for Y years, is an RFA in year Z, and the year after is a UFA?

The effort they put forth is awesome, but this is some just basic shit that should be in.
Amen. It's like one of the most important things in franchise. And no, I don't like their workaround. "Hay guyz, we fucked up one of the most basic features of offline franchise howabout y'all dismantle ur teamz and become the National Communist League?!" If even they saw that they had to come up with some hair brained idea to circumvent the problem, then they should fix it before release. Fuck them and the ship they sailed in on. Speaking of which...

xu5go.jpg

Gaudy Bucs ornament screenshot.

DMczaf

I wish they said "We don't care about salary cap and contracts, no one really uses it" in the interview. Rors is having these meltdowns already!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm also curious how OLinemen will progress. There are some guys in the league that are amazing at not taking sacks, will their OLine be like 100 rated? Every other position you can get the ball to or control and make plays for (defense), but OLine will be weird.

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
I wish they said "We don't care about salary cap and contracts, no one really uses it" in the interview. Rors is having these meltdowns already!
I've been hearing that "here's how we fixed it at the office" line too much. It's like they're offering it (and the commish tools) as a solution. And that line about "this year" makes it seem like it's not gonna get done.

brb gonna go spam his twitter some moar.
Wellington said:
I'm also curious how OLinemen will progress. There are some guys in the league that are amazing at not taking sacks, will their OLine be like 100 rated? Every other position you can get the ball to or control and make plays for (defense), but OLine will be weird.
OL progression depends highly on pancakes, POT, and age. Sacks are taken into account, though. It records the OL who gets charged for the sack.

If someone isn't getting sacked or running well, he should be rewarded, though. :D

Mrbob

Rorschach said:
I'd vote to fix it, but I'm down for either. It's kind of unfair that they get all the benefits without paying for them. Especially MrBob who won't shut the fuck up about Cutler and was all for that lopsided trade!

That would make a good poll question. :p

Chicago+Bears+Introduce+Jay+Cutler+BQZcR3eKwSBl.jpg

"Excellent question. I did have a great time torching the Raiders defense the last couple years. While I won't have those creampuffs on the schedule anymore to help pad my stats, I do look forward to playing Detroit!"

PS- Umad?

Rorschach

Mrbob said:
Chicago+Bears+Introduce+Jay+Cutler+BQZcR3eKwSBl.jpg

"Excellent question. I did have a great time torching the Raiders defense the last couple years. While I won't have those creampuffs on the schedule anymore to help pad my stats, I do look forward to playing Detroit!"

PS- Umad?
Too bad it's not true. He hasn't had a great time against Oakland (except one game) and he has had a rating in the 40s 2/4 times he faced Oakland. His grand total TD/INT ratio is 3:5. Yeah, 3 TDs to 5 INTs. His only decent game was at the expense of DeAngello Hall. Why would I be mad? :D Keep living in your own dreamworld, though. :lol

DMczaf said:

Great interview, very excited for next year! For the first time in a long time I really like
where Madden development is going.

Donny said:
I also want to mention that we have 30+ unique passing styles and stances in the game for the first time in Madden NFL history. Tony Romo’s sidearm release. Peyton Manning. Brady. Roethlisberger. Heck, we even got Matt Stafford. Each one of these guys has slightly different timing with their release, so player will have to adjust for each one. Some of these guys are outstanding outside the pocket and on the run, for example Big Ben and Tony Romo. Some QBs need to be kept in the pocket to take full advantage of their tremendous accuracy ratings- think Kurt Warner and Drew Brees.

thats all you quoted DM!? come on there are some good nuggets here!

Position Madden09 Madden10

QB 12 6
HB 18 10
FB 4 4
WR 25 13
TE 9 6
T 21 12
G 22 11
C 11 6
DE 26 13
DT 15 11
OLB 18 9
MLB 19 7
CB 21 9
FS 6 5
SS 10 5
K 15 7
P 5 4 (lee and lechler! brothers rors!)

Donny: Let me answer this in reverse. We have five new ratings this year, all at the QB position. We split Throw Accuracy into three accuracy ratings: Short, Mid, and Deep. Short accuracy is used to determine passes 20 yards and under, mid accuracy is used from 21-40, and deep is used for 41+ (that’s in exact distance from the QB to his target…not from the LOS to the yard line of the WR).

We also added a Play Action rating and a Throw on the Run rating. The play action rating factors into the calculation we have currently for play action plays and their likelihood of being successful. Instead of a generic factor where a rookie 7th round QB is just as effective as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning at doing play fakes, now we have a system that favors the best play fakers in the league. This year, we also added an additional penalty to throwing while on the run. For players who are considered “elite” in this rating like Big Ben, they are not penalized much at all in the throwing accuracy ratings. Although, I wouldn’t recommend the same approach for Peyton Manning.

I also want to mention that we have 30+ unique passing styles and stances in the game for the first time in Madden NFL history. Tony Romo’s sidearm release. Peyton Manning. Brady. Roethlisberger. Heck, we even got Matt Stafford. Each one of these guys has slightly different timing with their release, so player will have to adjust for each one. Some of these guys are outstanding outside the pocket and on the run, for example Big Ben and Tony Romo. Some QBs need to be kept in the pocket to take full advantage of their tremendous accuracy ratings- think Kurt Warner and Drew Brees.

The big reason to “stretch the ratings” was so that star players actually felt like star players. In past versions of Madden, I think it is hard to make the argument that stars like Nnamdi Asomugha and Jared Allen really stood out apart from any other fast or athletic player. Speed was the great video game equalizer. Well not any more, not in Madden NFL 10. Ratings like Play Recognition on defense and Route Running on offense mean more than ever before – in both the gameplay and the overall rating calculations.

Take CB speed for example. I did a rating analysis on this to start out the Madden NFL 10 pre-production cycle and discovered that every CB in the game had between 87-99 SPD in Madden NFL 09. I looked further, nearly 80% of ALL CB’s fell between 4 ratings points (88-92)! It’s pretty obvious that you aren’t going to see or feel any major differences out there in gameplay with them being so similar. The range now starts at 75-99, with a far greater number of CBs now in the low to mid 80’s.

It is up to the commissioner of the franchise to advance the state of the league. He alone is in charge to advance the week. Good news here is that you can hand off the title of commissioner to another league member if you are unable to run your franchise for any reason. We also allow the commish to boot any player he needs to who might be causing mischief in the franchise. You are also allowed to set your league to not have players join, if you wanted to ban people from doing so for a time period. Franchises can be private or public. You are allowed to password protect online franchises, if so desired.

Josh: Scouting is a key aspect of franchise mode this year and if you neglect your scouting duties during the regular season, you’ll be completely lost in the Draft. When you choose to scout a player, you’ll slowly unlock information about his attributes each week. At first, you’ll get some fairly vague comments referencing core attributes. You’ll probably see something like, “His awareness is something less than 80.” As the weeks go on and you choose to scout the players more, those comments will become more exact and you’ll see something along the lines: “We’ve completed his scouting for awareness. It’s a 75”. You’re also shown the player’s potential while scouting in the regular season. It’s displayed in a meter, so you won’t know exactly what the value is. It’s very important that you pay attention to the player’s core attributes revealed through scouting as well as his potential. Drafting a player with high potential but a low overall could mean that you’re stuck with a project for 3-4 years. On the flipside…if you draft a player with high potential and an 85 overall, you’ve hit the jackpot.

Will the QB sneak be an automatic 3-5 yard gain this year? If not, how do you go about fixing something like that?

Ian: Not anymore! We introduced the new sneak animation that can be “steered” by you – this ensures that you don’t just take off running right when you get the snap. One key note though, this is only ‘active’ against 5+ down linemen fronts. If the defense comes out in a 4 man front or fewer against it, the QB will choose to run with it. We did this because it looked dumb when the QB would just fall to the ground with no defenders around. One thing to keep in mind though is that the QB is immediately exposed to hard hits and a risk of injury or fumbling (we juice all those chances up to emulate the increase in aggressiveness defenders get when they see a QB running in the open field). Anyway, against a goal line defense now, you can really only expect the sneak to gain 1-2 yards at the absolute maximum, with an obvious risk of not getting anything at all. You can see the new animation in action at the 7:40 mark in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqJrdp8MqUI .

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
thats all you quoted DM!? come on there are some good nuggets here!

Pfft, this is just an online franchise thread! Why dont you keep up with your main thread in the gaming forum?!

Lazy ass!

Striker

As far as free agency goes, we have a free agent wire. So you can release players and pick up free agents on a first come, first served basis. We do not have an off-season free agency or salary cap this year, but it is something that is the top of our list obviously to get put into the game. That being said, we do have a web-exclusive Commish Add/Drop Tool that allows you and your online franchise buddies the ability to stage an offline free agency with whatever house rules you want to. At the office, we did one where we made everyone give up five 75+ OVR players (including CPU teams). Then, we had a quick free agency draft and we were off to Year 2. Rosters are on lockdown during this stage of the offseason (where the Commish can Add/Drop), so nobody can cheat the system (yet).
I do like this, though.

What do you think, FMT?

bluemax

Banned
Shawnwhann said:
For all interested parties, I'm putting Marion Barber (only 26 yrs old) on the block because I have a spoil of riches in my backfield. Felix Jones and Tashard Choice will be my guys.

I'll be entertaining offers that feature corners, receivers, defensive ends, or safeties. :D

Bryan Russell for Marion Barber straight up.

Rorschach

DMczaf said:
New Dev Diary video for Online Franchise

Some new shots of the website interface
"behind salary cap...or whatever it is..."

STFU IAN, I HATE YOU! YOU'RE NOT THE TRUTH! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!

"...if we can't get this in this year, let's give them control to do it..." "If there's something we didn't get to, we gave them a tool set to go and get it..."

We gave you the tools! NOT MY PROBLEM!

not-my-problem.jpg

FML

BigAT

So at what point does it just seem like they're holding back key features that should clearly be implemented just so there will be something, ANYTHING, new to be added for the next year's addition?

Striker

I think that may be the case. They won't hurry themselves to patch a salary cap or a longer Franchise now knowing they can get a better game next year.

Also, some more ratings up. The NFC East is in the final ropes. Here's Giants: http://espn.go.com/videogames/features/madden/madden10?teamId=16

We've seen them before, so they're nothing new. I'm hoping they release a Free Agency ticker and we see the ratings of Edgerrin James, Plaxico Burress, Chris McAlister, Simeon Rice, etc.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Striker said:
I think that may be the case. They won't hurry themselves to patch a salary cap or a longer Franchise now knowing they can get a better game next year.

Also, some more ratings up. The NFC East is in the final ropes. Here's Giants: http://espn.go.com/videogames/features/madden/madden10?teamId=16

We've seen them before, so they're nothing new. I'm hoping they release a Free Agency ticker and we see the ratings of Edgerrin James, Plaxico Burress, Chris McAlister, Simeon Rice, etc.
Based on how he plays in every Madden game, I'd wager 100.

Wow, Chris Snee @ 97 OVR. Prepare for a lot of runs right and pulling plays. :D

Best receiver on the team is freakin' Kevin Boss.

Striker

Travis Beckum looks pretty good in ratings. Improve his strength and awareness, and he should be a starter or oft-used player.

Wellie, you need to get on AIM some time and we can discuss trade options for the next month and a half.

I watched the video of Kerry diving past the goal line...QB sneak still looks like it can be used for 4th and 1 =/ The D-Line just doesn't smush the center like it should..

This shit is still day 1 for me!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Striker said:
Travis Beckum looks pretty good in ratings. Improve his strength and awareness, and he should be a starter or oft-used player.

Wellie, you need to get on AIM some time and we can discuss trade options for the next month and a half.
Eli Manning's injury rating is at 98. I am selling backup QBs! Don't need them!

Rorschach

ph33nix said:
I watched the video of Kerry diving past the goal line...QB sneak still looks like it can be used for 4th and 1 =/ The D-Line just doesn't smush the center like it should..

Yeah, it's still money, but it looks like FB dive isn't. Suck it down, DM! :D

bluemax said:
Bryan Russell for Marion Barber straight up.

You think you're dealing with Al Davis or Carmen Policy here?!?

Fix that deal to include a real player like TJ, Curry, Tatupu, or Trufant and we may get somewhere! :D

Speaking of free agency, is there going to be a process to handle who get first dibs on free agents? Or will it be an all out arms race to the free agency selection screen once the league goes live?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The LOLtriots have Fred Taylor? Oh snap!

First thing on the plate: Find another QB.

Who the Fuck is Kevin O'Connell?

ph33nix said:

QB Sneak isn't automatic this year, depnds on the DT over the center and defense you call of course.

Looking at the ratings I wonder how they deep ball will be with so many slow ass DB's in the game now. The entire secondary has gotten slower while the top speed WR's maintained. Hopefully the slower DB's can keep up when running cover 3 and 4.

Top Bottom