• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: Wards? Where We're Going We Dont Need....Wards

Can't wait to be angry at how badly you guys play NP again.

Does this mean the return of Shake's cliff-jungling Prophet?

I wouldn't play NP with you guys anyhow. Every time I play with you guys I know I'm playing the 5 position unless we are playing with FMT or MrBob, then I get to play the 4 (maybe).

Ferny

I wouldn't play NP with you guys anyhow. Every time I play with you guys I know I'm playing the 5 position unless we are playing with FMT or MrBob, then I get to play the 4 (maybe).

I'll be happy to play the 5 for you Purp. I'll be happily eating up wards with my tangos.

I'll be happy to play the 5 for you Purp. I'll be happily eating up wards with my tangos.

Oh I don't mind playing the 5, I know that my skill level is vastly lower so I'm not gonna make a lot of #bigplays. Playing support with a team that actually communicates with you in a language you understand is fun.

eznark

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTul6PBsIY8

TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

Somnia

So do I need to read a book before Halo 5 to know what the heck is going on?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037470

MS is pushing this Locke dude hard.

They basically explain Locke in the Halo 2 first and last cutscene in MCC and in the TV series which is part of MCC. The other spartans you see are from a book yes (on Chiefs side). They are Blue Team which is who he was with for the majority of his time prior to Halo 1. They should explain this in game at some point, but it'll probably be a simple thing that they are Spartans on his side. Locke's Spartans are a bit trickier, but it looks like they might be the ODST members who survived in Halo ODST and are now Spartan IV's (Chief and his Spartans are Spartan 2's who were enhanced from birth unlike the rest).

... Yes I know some shit about Halo lore.

If you want you should listen to https://soundcloud.com/huntthetruth

It's following a reporter about a year after Halo 4 looking into the history of Master Chief and it's really well done. They are doing a new episode every Sunday till E3.

Somnia

Thought MC was the last Spartan...

Blue Team wasn't on Reach, MC was the last of the Spartan 2's to survive on Reach.

Spartan IV's (Locke and team) are normal soldiers with enhancements. Basically super soldiers but not like the 2's who were changed and modified at like 6-8 years old. They are still beasts and you can have more of them since you don't need to start at birth.

Somnia

Dota lore makes more sense than Halo lore.

Halo Lore makes sense. Part of the problem is Bungie threw a bunch of lore out in Reach and then 343 put stuff into 4 from the books without explaining it in game which they admit was a mistake.

Somnia

I played through 3.5 Halo games and the demo of Halo Wars and I couldn't tell you the first thing about the lore aside from there are aliens and then zombie aliens and you shoot a lot of both.

Just because you don't pay attention doesn't mean there isn't lore and story there. Myself and plenty of other Halo fans cleary got it.

I paid attention, it just wasn't particularly important or interesting to the game at hand. Its an FPS where I shoot shit and shit shoots back. The game never made the narrative seem that important until like after the third or so game and by that point I wasn't interested. I think its really hard to go from a non narrative game like Halo and try to make it into a narrative game. Now they're just awkward shoehorning in things to justify the need for the franchise to continue because it makes money.

I'm not saying the lore in Halo is good or bad, I'm saying for the first 3 games it was completely irrelevant to the game, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the games positively or negatively because the basic premise (humanity is in danger, you're the only one who can save them) was enough to make the games go. Attempting to transform it into something more just seems like an exercise in futility that has limited appeal.

Somnia

I paid attention, it just wasn't particularly important or interesting to the game at hand. Its an FPS where I shoot shit and shit shoots back. The game never made the narrative seem that important until like after the third or so game and by that point I wasn't interested. I think its really hard to go from a non narrative game like Halo and try to make it into a narrative game. Now they're just awkward shoehorning in things to justify the need for the franchise to continue because it makes money.

I'm not saying the lore in Halo is good or bad, I'm saying for the first 3 games it was completely irrelevant to the game, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the games positively or negatively because the basic premise (humanity is in danger, you're the only one who can save them) was enough to make the games go. Attempting to transform it into something more just seems like an exercise in futility that has limited appeal.

There's actually a shit load of story and more in Halo 2 and 3. Hell Halo 1 has a ton from Spark 343 if you listen and pay attention.

The difference is it's more than just a shooter now like before so they are more lore focused and I can see if you weren't into it much before how you'd not like it. For myself and tons of other Halo fans we love it.

To each their own though, I'm happy with where its going.

halos story is garbage but good for a laugh. did master chief ever fuck cortana?

As close as you can get basically.

There's actually a shit load of story and more in Halo 2 and 3. Hell Halo 1 has a ton from Spark 343 if you listen and pay attention.

The difference is it's more than just a shooter now like before so they are more lore focused and I can see if you weren't into it much before how you'd not like it. For myself and tons of other Halo fans we love it.

To each their own though, I'm happy with where its going.

I love me some Bungie extended lore, I used to read the books when I was in school, best one was Ghosts of Onyx. But the new shit, the whole "ancient human" stuff is dumb and retcons a lot of stuff from Halo 3 terminals with the Librarian finding Earth and giving humans the mantel.

I can only imagine what Halo 4 was to people with zero extended lore to go off of, even reading the books before Glasslands it was a pretty confusing mess due to the changes in origins with Humans and Forerunners.

But shit, Blue Team is going to be in Halo 5, that shit is going to be amazing if the four player campaign is going to be everyone playing a different Spartan.

Somnia

As close as you can get basically.

I love me some Bungie extended lore, I used to read the books when I was in school, best one was Ghosts of Onyx. But the new shit, the whole "ancient human" stuff is dumb and retcons a lot of stuff from Halo 3 terminals with the Librarian finding Earth and giving humans the mantel.

I can only imagine what Halo 4 was to people with zero extended lore to go off of, even reading the books before Glasslands it was a pretty confusing mess due to the changes in origins with Humans and Forerunners.

But shit, Blue Team is going to be in Halo 5, that shit is going to be amazing if the four player campaign is going to be everyone playing a different Spartan.

Ya 343 admits they messed up by putting extended lore into the game with no explanation at all so I assume they are going to try to fix that with Halo 5.

As long as they can just roll with what they have and explain it a bit more they'll be fine.

edit: and to be fair even Bungie has retconned their own Halo lore lol

Somnia

Assuming 343 can fix anything seems like quite the stretch at this point

The major problem with MCC was it was done by like 8 teams. 343 launched Halo 4 and it worked perfectly. Now the likes/dislikes on the multi is another subject.

Halo 5 beta ran smooth as hell.

Ya 343 admits they messed up by putting extended lore into the game with no explanation at all so I assume they are going to try to fix that with Halo 5.

As long as they can just roll with what they have and explain it a bit more they'll be fine.

edit: and to be fair even Bungie has retconned their own Halo lore lol

Yea, Reach was one hell of a retcon. The Pillar of Autumn was not a ship that I expected would be rated to land in atmosphere. I mean, we saw what happens when the PoA lands on a planet.

114976-halo-combat-evolved-windows-screenshot-the-pillar-of-autumn.jpg

Not to mention the fact the invasion seemingly went on for almost a month in the game, while the book described it as an average slaughter, with some places being spared from glassing due to the artifacts the covenant were looking for.

Top Bottom