• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 2005 Thread

yeah, i beat ramirez 24-0 and of course the server goes down so it doesn't report :(

p.s. you outgained me, but i played vanilla offense most of the 2nd half cause i had the lead. i like to run a lot with kbar. i don't even necessarily want to put up big yards, but when i can get 25 runs in a game with him it means good things for my team because i most likely have the lead.

p.s. and no i dont milk the clock, i average about 50 plays per game on offense even on 4 min quarters :)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The servers went down? huh? I got a game with Fifty at 10....shit.

Ristamar

I'm getting a better feel for the running game, and my punt returns have notably improved. I finally managed bust out a few really big gains on the ground today while using the Steelers against the Patriots, though I only had it on 'Pro' (5 minute quarters).

Staley had a career game with an 87 yard TD run, immediately followed by a 60+ yard TD run on the first play of my next possession. He ended up with 150+ rushing yards, averaging 22.3 yards per carry, had 3 rushing TDs, along with 2 receiving TDs and 100+ receiving yards with 13 receptions.

Ward also had 150+ receiving yards, thanks largely to a 95 yard TD reception. Maddox threw for 401 yards and 4 TDs.

Offensive total was 555. Total yards gained was 665. Final score: 59-3.

Fifty

Great...I keep losing my friends list, and when it works, it takes ages to load. Matrix, meet me in the lobby, as you'd expect...it should work fine.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ok im going to go log on,see ya in the lobby.

Btw xbox.com has a message up saying problems with friends lists are happening,so its not you Fifty.

Cloudy

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
yeah, i beat ramirez 24-0 and of course the server goes down so it doesn't report :(

What, the servers go down in Madden too? NO WAY!!!!

Seriously though, I'm sure it won't ever be as bad as Sega but you're naive if you think stuff like that won't happen in any online game where servers are involved.

And how did you keep Ramirez from scoring? :eek:

Matrix

Ummmm the Madden servers have not gone down,so I dont know what happened in the FMT and Rameriz game.I checked after Fmt posted that and I was able to log on and I just got my ass whooped by Fifty.

Rameriz seems to have major problems with espn,maybe its something on his side.

andthebeatgoeson

WasabiKing said:
So, what's your best "hit stick" hit to date?

Mine was a kickoff return, and my defender hit a guy to cause a fumble, recover for a TD, and the returner was injured.

Mine would be an offline game, my punter was kicking off (2nd half of a preseason game, pfft...punter on kickoffs w/no way to change back to your kicker...pfft) and one of New England's return guys make it to their 30, puts on a few good moves all the while my punter is closing in on him. I switched to the punter to try and stop him from breaking away and while two other guys are closing in from the side, I lay the hit stick hammer on him. The hit wasn't visually spectacular but leveling a guy with your punter and causing a fumble is enough to get my attention.

Miguel

Wasabi: Dude, wtf, Rich Gannon is a piece of garbage. LMAO.

His as threw SIX interceptions against the Texans in week 4. 2 returned for touchdowns. All 6 INTs were by six different players. LOL. Gary Walker had 5 sacks, Jason Babin had 2. The whole offense was just horrid.

I'm 4-1 now in my season, only losing to KC 27-20

Matrix

Konex,I just got done smacking a cub fan around in madden...you still want to play espn? If so give me till 1am,in like ten minutes.

Cerebral Palsy said:
I haven't had a big problem returning. I probably average to about the 25 yard line. I've had about 4 or 5 returns where I could have taken it all the way, but momentum got me and I ended up in the back of my blockers every time... No luck. Think my longest return was about 50 yards.

It's really odd, all my guys on my punt returns are pussies, they can't block for shit. I've seen guys get BLASTED and I end up having to fair catch or maybe get 10 yards. KR I actually do alright though...

Miguel said:
Wasabi: Dude, wtf, Rich Gannon is a piece of garbage. LMAO.

His as threw SIX interceptions against the Texans in week 4. 2 returned for touchdowns. All 6 INTs were by six different players. LOL. Gary Walker had 5 sacks, Jason Babin had 2. The whole offense was just horrid.

If you're playing on Pro, I take that with a grain of salt. To be honest, their big weakness is their RT. The minute someone rolls out to the right, they're dead if the defense's LE is a beast like Strahan. Now, if there's anyone who is fragile, it's David Carr. I've hurt him every time I've faced him, in the playoffs, regular season, and preseason season 2. Then it's Tony Banks, AKA INT Machine. This is all done on All-Pro, and two User Picks! But get online, MiG, I'll show you how weak the Raiders are... ;)

Miguel

WasabiKing said:
If you're playing on Pro, I take that with a grain of salt. To be honest, their big weakness is their RT. The minute someone rolls out to the right, they're dead if the defense's LE is a beast like Strahan. Now, if there's anyone who is fragile, it's David Carr. I've hurt him every time I've faced him, in the playoffs, regular season, and preseason season 2. Then it's Tony Banks, AKA INT Machine. This is all done on All-Pro, and two User Picks! But get online, MiG, I'll show you how weak the Raiders are... ;)

Dude, all-pro. They're the only team I've beaten easily so far.

4 User picks bitch. >:D

About Tony Banks, yeah, INT machine.

Ramirez

My point still stands FMT,every time I had something going the least likely thing would happen to me (fumbles,dropped passes) :p

And Konex,its easy to keep someone from scoring when you have to basically pass every down after the 1st half :p My first drive ended with a damn redzone INT :(

And I couldn't connect to the servers after our game either,I think they were down for a short while or something.And I don't have any problems with ESPN aside from my stats being recorded after league games :p

Maverick

Ramirez said:
My point still stands FMT,every time I had something going the least likely thing would happen to me (fumbles,dropped passes) :p

True dat. That happened to me when I was playing a game last night. I think I have even worse luck than Matrix...On the opening kickoff, I make his man fumble, but Steve Smith zooms in, picks the ball up, and returns it for a TD. Then he breaks 1 big run on 3rd and long and he's down at my 5. But wait! I make Steven Davis fumble. My guy picks it up and starts running when he fumbles and fucking Davis picks it back up and walks it into the endzone.

Gah.

Fumble #3 you ask? Westbrooke puts one on the ground after a complete pass when I'm driving in his redzone.

How can I win a game on 4 min Qs when shit like that happens to me? And I still only lost by a FG.

Maverick

MAVERICK IS PISSED OFF PART 2

My faith in videogame football, something I have loved for so long, is beyond waivering. Where do I begin? How can I describe the pain that I know all my brothas feel. I'll try.

Situation: Online game against a random pats fan. I'm the Ravens.

The stats?

total offense:

Ravens: 235
Pats: 131

First downs?

Ravens: 12
Pats: 5

The SCORE?!

Pats 23
Ravens 14

I limited this guy, ranked 700, to 5. fucking. first. downs and lost the game.

In a sentence, that sums up my distain right now for Madden online. It's so smooth, it's so much better than ESPN, but it's also downright unfair at times. If you want to know why I am really pissed, read on.

So it's late in the 3rd quarter and I am down 2 Tds. It's 3rd and long, so I make a brilliant 11 yard completion to J. Lewis. 4th and inches. Perfect. Got enough yards on 3rd and long to keep me in this game. I'm at midfield. A first down is a sure thing.

Wait, no it isn't. Ea's Fairplay system kicks in and tells me that I must punt. Okay, you know what, I can accept that. Despite playing 4 minute fucking quarters, and despite the fact that this guy can pretty much run the clock out on me w/ just a first down, enough so that I will never come back from 2 TDs down.

No, I can accept that. If the Fairplay system means me not having to put up with assholes, I can accept it.

Cut to late in the 4th. I have made him punt (of course, the fucker only has 5 first downs) and I have scored a TD on a nice quick drive (after all, I am playing well). So what happens? I stuff him on 3rd and short and force him to punt me the ball with a minute left.

HAHAHAHA JUST KIDDING! Ea's Fairplay system lets him go for it on 4th and short. Weeeee! And he presses "up" with Tom Brady for a first down. Game fucking over.

:(

I just feel robbed in almost every game I play online. Even when I win. I'm smart. I make long, sustained drives that always seem to end with a fumble or an INT. Now, I have only played 8 online games, but frankly, the fact that on every one of my first drives, I've had a turnover in the redzone is ludachrist.

When I'm pounding a defense w/ Jamal Lewis, running up a 20 play, 5:00 drive, I don't want to fumble on the 2 yard line like I have twice now with Lewis alone on the first drive in the first quarter. The exact same thing happened with Priest Holmes and Steven Davis. All long, sustained drives, QBs going 6/7, defense tired, when all of a sudden I fumble it in the redzone. FEAR DA D!!!!!

And then there's Westbrook's phantom fumble on the 9 because of a leg tackle. BUMMMBBBLLLE!!!!! DEFENSE RECOVERS!

I'm not trying to be a sore loser here. That's not the point. The point is that I can't play sim ball in madden online. FMT says he can, but what's your record FMT? You even said the other day how you were frustrated.

You play sim ball, the longer the drives, the more realistic you play, the better chances for INTs and fumbles. I'm just going to play like these pricks do. Play cheese Quarter defense and go big on every play.

Alright, my venting is over. Even with the ridiculous stats and shitty servers, I never felt like I was cheeted out of a win in ESPN.

Ramirez

Quarter D is way too effective in the game,I use it,but sometimes I feel cheap,its almost literally impossible to pass into it :p

Cloudy

Banned
HAHAHAHA JUST KIDDING! Ea's Fairplay system lets him go for it on 4th and short. Weeeee! And he presses "up" with Tom Brady for a first down. Game fucking over.

If he was in your territory and it's 4th and inches with a minute left, I don't see how that's totally unrealistic (i.e fairplay wouldn't allow it) that he would go for it. What was the field position situation?

Fifty

He wasn't complaining about that, just the fact that Brady could go for it and he couldn't was what pissed him off... I believe...

Cloudy

Banned
Yah but he couldn't because most NFL teams wouldn't go for it in the 3rd quarter of a close (2 tds or less) game. Then again, most NFL teams would punt on 4th and short with a lead in the late 4th but that depends on the field position...

I actually like the fair play system in Madden and wish ESPN would implement something like that. It should be optional though...

Fifty

I like it too, but with 4 minute qtrs it can be very tricky to score twice in the same qtr. I might have wanted to go for it at the end of the third like he did. I still love the game, but I can relate to someone having issues with the fair play system. I still prefer having it to not having it.

(edit: It is optional, just not for ranked games. Although you probably know that)

Ristamar

Ramirez said:
Quarter D is way too effective in the game,I use it,but sometimes I feel cheap,its almost literally impossible to pass into it :p

I haven't played much on All Pro, but yeah, in Pro difficulty Quarter D is rather stifling, providing a very high probability for an INT. If I see that D, I try to go for a bomb to a streaking receiver in single coverage. Throwing over the middle is suicide.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
What kills me is, I finally get a 90+ WR (TO) and this is the year EA decides to put in the Super DBs. Ok, I can understand not being able to throw over the top with SS and FS help but when I have TO one on one with CB, I should be able to win that battle at least 50% time. Sometimes people are having the CB in bump coverage on TO with no help over the top and the Go route never seems to work. What gives?

Cloudy said:
Yah but he couldn't because most NFL teams wouldn't go for it in the 3rd quarter of a close (2 tds or less) game.

The problem is... 4 minute quarters. This forces the need to go for 4th and short in the 3rd if you're down many times, but wait! Madden won't let you! Seriously, whoever came up with this "fairplay" shit, and the 4 minute quarters for ranked games idea, should be fucking fired.

Also, last night my controller gets yanked out of the xbox. so I plug it right back in within 3 seconds. I look up at the screen and i have been booted from the game for removing my controller too many times. I got a quit on my record for that shit. YAY GO MADDEN ONLINE!!!

Ristamar

One thing I do like is how the receiver's height notably comes into play. I've thrown lofty passes to Burress in single and double coverage, and he's been able to frequently out jump his defender for the ball.

Bowser

Damn, Portis is SO FUCKING SLOW. I've gotten Gold on everything in Mini Camp on Rookie, and Gold on everything in Pro except for rushing attack. How the hell am I supposed to get 1900 pts?

Slo

Gunstar77 said:
What kills me is, I finally get a 90+ WR (TO) and this is the year EA decides to put in the Super DBs. Ok, I can understand not being able to throw over the top with SS and FS help but when I have TO one on one with CB, I should be able to win that battle at least 50% time. Sometimes people are having the CB in bump coverage on TO with no help over the top and the Go route never seems to work. What gives?

Press Y + R --> to have TO remove the Sharpie from his shoe. He's WAAAY faster that way.

andthebeatgoeson

But seriously, I'm with Gunstar on this. I've had so much trouble getting over a CB, one on one with a streak route. The fucker always comes from 1 to 2 steps behind to swat the ball out the air. Maybe I need to lead as much as possible.

Maverick

Yeah, 50 and CP know what I'm sayin. Shit, since I had to punt he wasted almost 2 goddamn minutes just by running the clock. It's like the 4th Quarter in any regular game.

I've calmed down now, of course, but I've never been so frustrated by a game before. Usually I'll cuss like a sailor, but never have I literally smashed my controller into the ground like I did when I fumbled for the second time in a game on the goal line.

Maverick

skinnyrattler said:
But seriously, I'm with Gunstar on this. I've had so much trouble getting over a CB, one on one with a streak route. The fucker always comes from 1 to 2 steps behind to swat the ball out the air. Maybe I need to lead as much as possible.

The only times I've floated one over coverage is when I lead the WR like a mofo.

Matrix

anyone want to play? You got a great chance for a W going up against the Texans :p

andthebeatgoeson

Maverick said:
The only times I've floated one over coverage is when I lead the WR like a mofo.

Thanks. I usually don't lead the reciever cuz I feel like I should be hitting them when they are open but I'll do that cuz I've been shying away from the streak routes due to my inept history with those routes.

Matrix

Cloudy said:
How did you like your "Y" experiment yesterday, Matrix? ;)

Well I drived for a td with no problems the first time and then it stopped working,but then I stopped caring about the Y stuff or anything after your te td which was a crock of amazing bull shit.

Cloudy

Banned
Matrix said:
Well I drived for a td with no problems the first time and then it stopped working,but then I stopped caring about the Y stuff or anything after your te td which was a crock of amazing bull shit.

I hope you realize you gotta mix it up now. And your guy jumped over the TE w/o touching him while he was down and he took off. Amazing stuff :)

PS: Let's play again tonight. A real game this time ^_^

Matrix

BSSSSSSSSSS he hit and him and I even heard the damn sound,espn is a buggy twat.

PS- Konex you're not supposed to bring up Espn in here.

Cloudy

Banned
LOL! Your guy dove out of bounds dude. But enough ESPN in this thread :p

edit: Yah, I know. I just posted where I thought you'd see it ^_~

Matrix

Yes,but in the process he made contact with your douche TE hitting his body while he was down on both knees,the play should have been called dead after that...My guys feet were still on your guys back when you jumped up superman style and took off like a speed freak.

I'll play you later tonight,but konex no more espn talk in here.

when did i say i was frustrated with madden? I said I was frustrated with myself. I outgained DM, outplayed DM, and I still lost. But the reason I lost was because I threw stupid passes that got picked off and gave him a short field.

My record is 8-6, and I'm ranked in the top 1,500 thanks to the fact that i use the niners (3rd worst rated team in the game) and i usually play people who pick power teams, so i get more of a boost when i beat them.

remember this: defense is the name of the game this year, so let your defense win for you. i have pretty much no dangerous players in the passing game, so i have to depend on running and defense. maybe if you are the rams or colts you can play a different way, i don't know. don't get frustrated though mav, you just had some bad luck in that pats game. the tide will turn for you

Matrix

Will the tide ever turn for me Fmt? :(

Matrix

DMczaf said:
You better hope Texans play well during the season with roster updates ;)

Yea that would help :)

Matrix

Just post here when you're ready and you can have a chance at revenge.

Matrix

Ramirez said:
Well I finally gave the Texans the beatin they deserved after they almost beat me in our first meeting :p

I was so pissed after I fumbled the ball on the punt return that my head was not in the game the rest of the way :( I swear I kept pressing the Y button for a fair catch,but it didnt go through and the next thing I know you hit stick my ass to the moon.

GG anyway and how about that lucky ass TD with Andre at the end of the game.

FINALLY the DM curse is dead! i dominated the bucs again, and i was up 6-0 late, but once again he goes up 7-6 on one six-play drive down the field. so, i'm sitting there is disbelief that i'm going to lose again after dominating. but, with 2:30 left i get him in 3rd and long, he throws a pick to rumph and i take it down inside the 5 and score with 2:10 left. my 12-7 lead is safe right? wrong.

dm drives to midfield, it's 4th and 18, i'm playing as cautiously as i can without playing too cautious. DM lines up in 5 wide, i almost sack him but he throws it into double coverage to michael fucking clayton for a first down inside my 25. i am in shock at this point. so, whatever i say, he needs a TD and he's not getting it. so, we go to 3rd and 12 from my 22 i believe. he scrambles left, and throws to clayton streaking across the middle AGAIN for the touchdown. i'm thinking no fucking way dude... no way can this happen. he goes up 13-12 with 27 seconds left.

so i get the ball on the kick return to the 15 yard line i believe. I have 3 timeouts. first play i get a 20 yards pass to my TE over the middle. next play, i get my wr on the outside up to about the 40. next play, i get kbar out of the backfield down to the tampa 44. so, there is 8 seconds left, i have one timeout and i call a slant to my wr who has done nothing but get pushed around all day. i throw the ball and this time he bobbles it but catches it at the tampa 28! i quickly call timeout and kick the game winning pressure kick fg... and dm goes home sad :D curse is over buddy, its sour times for you from here on in!

Top Bottom