• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden 2005 Thread

Mrbob

I went for the two point conversion because not only couldn't i hit extra points, but I also wanted to get back the point I missed on my missed extra point. I gave your defense every opportunity to make an int and return it to beat me 17-16 and not run out the clock like a lot of pansies do online to pad their W/L stats. Its ok, though. I'm running out the clock from now on if all I'm gonna hear is whining because I didn't. :D

BTW matrix you were also the guy who last time we played was up 23-7 in the 4th and ran it up to 33-7 and I don't remember complaining about that. :p

andthebeatgoeson

Gunstar77 said:
I think I know what you guys are talking about now. I have ran into one guy that kept calling a 46 Defense and would pull his Safety to the Line as well. Now he has everyone bunched up and what happens is he is really only blitzing 1 guy maybe 2 tops but he keeps changing which player is blitzing so it takes time to read the D. What is cheap about it isn't the fact that he is blitzing, it is the fact all the players he has bunch into the line can run back into there Zone faster then any of my WR can do a damn Go route. What is cheap is the LBs and CBs are way to fast to get back into their Zones, my biggest problem is the LBs. The LBs would beat TO up the field to the Zone. I know EA wanted to focus on Defense this year but damn give the Offense a chance.

Actually, I know what you are talking about. There has been plenty of times when I get the d into the 46 with 3 WR and hot route a go route and the fuckin LB comes from off the WR, 5 yards back and not inline with TO or Freddie Mitchell and the LB gets back into zone quick as hell. McNabb won't put the ball onto the sideline shoulder cuz in the real NFL, the QB should loft it over the defender. I have lofted the pass, I've bulleted to the sideline shoulder, tried everything. What should be a sure 20+yard reception usually gets knocked down. That's kinda cheesy.

But for the most part, I've had my share of receptions when a guy was blitzing. I love Madden cuz it forces you to be variable on offense. You constantly have to be looking to run different schemes and formations and audibling and hot routing to catch people off guard. Playmaker is god.

Mrbob

I still haven't figured out playmaker on the fly yet. :/ If your QB rolls right, do you just flick the right analog stick right and a wide receiver will cut a route that way?

andthebeatgoeson

The closest reciever will go whichever direction you push it to. And it's not limited to 4 way direction, they'll break 'northeast', if you know what I mean. Works great against zone; I've seen quite a few plays where my halfback will get behind the zone and be wide open on a broken play. Also great for comebacks. In man, the defender will stick close, unless you have somebody super quick, so don't expect a guaranteed catch.

Fifty

Well that took too long. I finally got my Team Usage trophy :D Finally I can stick with my favorite team.

Heh, this is what my webpage shows the trophy as looking like, although in the game it actually shows the real one. :p

71on.jpg

Fifty

Why did you choose all of your plays (on D) before I picked my formation? Normally that would let me burn you, but since you played QTR D for 80% of the game, I had no chance.

Ramirez

I guess Im one of the few that picks D before I see what the offense is running.I basically just look at the down/score and pick from that.You passed the majority of the game,why wouldn't I run Quarter?You could have ran all over it,but you ran like 7 times all game =\

Fifty

I ran 7 times in the game, because every run was a loss! :(

All the gaps closed when I ran up the middle, and my runs to the side were stopped by the DBs.

Mrbob

Heh. I do the same thing as Ramirez. I usually pick my D right away and audiable on the fly. The Bears are made to play Lovies Cover 2 defense so I use that a bit. But I mix it up with different blitz packages, zone packages, man packages etc.

Ramirez

I know most of them were losses 50,but ya gotta know against the Cards,sooner or later you were gonna break a huge one :p

Mrbob

What viewpoint are you using?

I'm using the Classic camera and I can see the field better than with the Madden camera. It has been helping me out with my running game.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I usually pick my defense before seeing the formation as well. I generally know my opponents play style (thanks to the view career option), so really it's not gambling all that much.

Bowser

Found out I was playing on Pro so I switched to All-Pro. It is harder to rush in All-Pro; however, I still get an avg of 5 or so yds/rush. Also, is it just me, or are fumbles more prevalent in All-Pro? In my game against Atlanta, ATL fumbled 4 times and I fumbled twice. Before swtiching to All-Pro (my previous two franchise games were played on Pro), I hadn't encountered one fumble the entire game.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Mrbob said:
I went for the two point conversion because not only couldn't i hit extra points, but I also wanted to get back the point I missed on my missed extra point. I gave your defense every opportunity to make an int and return it to beat me 17-16 and not run out the clock like a lot of pansies do online to pad their W/L stats. Its ok, though. I'm running out the clock from now on if all I'm gonna hear is whining because I didn't. :D

BTW matrix you were also the guy who last time we played was up 23-7 in the 4th and ran it up to 33-7 and I don't remember complaining about that. :p

Thats cause you talked trash before the game and I heard you say something about the stros through my tv >_<

Also dont pity play for me and give me a chance to win...that just makes me feel even more pathetic...you won the game its in the past,lets move now :p I'm over it :)

Ramirez

Why does this game hate me when I play FMT?I throw 2 picks to start off the game...then when I actually get something going I get sacked,then throw another INT,heh.Thank God for the Concede Defeat option though,I woulda broke something if I had to endure that for 4 quarters :p

lol i know ramirez, you just have bad luck against me for whatever reason. i was up 14-0 and my offense had only seen 3 plays. i wasn't even going to play cause i was so pissed off after playing this cheeser the game before.

which brings me to my question, how do you combat the cheap ass "all out" blitzing? this guy would always bring everyone up to the line, and he would either blitz or drop people back, but everytime he would get pressure no matter what. sometimes he would manually control the LB and even if i put my TE on that side, the TE couldn't block him. man i'm tired of playing random assholes. someone said in this thread that the first week an online sports game is out is the best to play random games, and he wasn't kidding. first week of madden i played some awesome games against sim ballers, i won some and i lost some, but the point is i was having fun playing the game. now, even when i beat cheeser im not having fun. it's just a pain in the ass. never again!

Galaron

EA guy that we like
FrenchMovieTheme said:
which brings me to my question, how do you combat the cheap ass "all out" blitzing? this guy would always bring everyone up to the line, and he would either blitz or drop people back, but everytime he would get pressure no matter what.
Have you tired hot routing a slot reciever or tight end to a hook pattern? When it looks like a full house blitz and I'm in a run play, I usually audible to a play in the same formation where the tight-end has a route and then hot route him to a quick hook. Usually I can get rid of the ball pretty quickly before the pocket collapses and I don't have trouble with it being tipped at the line. Also, I will occaisonally hot route my HB to pass protect and stand directly behind him. Finally, if I have a slot reciever I'll hot route them to a slant out pattern (L2 or R2) and then lob it just after they make their cut. If the corner was blitzing then it is an almost guaranteed completion. However, if I time it poorly and it is picked off, it's almost certainly 6 the other way. :-(

Maverick

FMT, that was me that made that comment, and it's so true. I'm doing great right now online, mainly playing random people w/ quick match, but it isn't as fun as it was.

I'm ranked #1800 now, but honestly i'm about ready to stop playing online as much as I have been. I'm going to try to limit myself to a game a day, plus the tourny and hopefully league games.

I want to try out ESPN NHL 2K5 soon.

Fifty

Heh, I've played almost 60 games online so far (a freaking ton!) and I have only played two in my current franchise. I think I'm going to take a break from playing all the time, online, lest I become burnt out. ;) I'm excited about the league, and any and all tournaments, but aside from that I think I'll focus on the offline for a bit.

Maverick

Yeah, I just beat a guy ranked in the 200s with the Chargers. The deal is, I didn't even have much fun. It was complete stress trying to deal with his blitzes. The game should have been 31-7 me, but it ended up 17-14.

He used 5 wide the whole time and ran like 4 plays.

Don't play "robears"

Ramirez

I'm 40-12,starting to get burnt out I think,lmao...

I haven't played a single game offline,but I never do anyways so thats nothing new :p

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I just got my Madden delivered to me... 35 dollars shipped frpm outpost... should I open this up?? is GA still playing this game to death?? and is the league going to ge still going on?:?

i play 10 min quarters w/ accelerated clock on. i get pretty realistic stats. both teams get off anywhere between 50-70 plays in a game, all depending on how long drives take (sometimes i score in one play so...). but the yardage and tackles are very realistic.

Ramirez

I had a sweet game today...played some cheesehead who used the Falcons...he was up 24-14 at the half.I finally figured out how to stop Vick and I won 30-14 in OT,heh.I scored in the 4th quarter with 1 second on the clock,lol...awesome :D

Bowser

Ramirez said:
I had a sweet game today...played some cheesehead who used the Falcons...he was up 24-14 at the half.I finally figured out how to stop Vick and I won 30-14 in OT,heh.I scored in the 4th quarter with 1 second on the clock,lol...awesome :D

How can you be down 14-24 and then win 30-14?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i play 10 min quarters w/ accelerated clock on. i get pretty realistic stats. both teams get off anywhere between 50-70 plays in a game, all depending on how long drives take (sometimes i score in one play so...). but the yardage and tackles are very realistic.

Damn, I should make those settings from now on... NEW LEAGUE... ;)

Do you still get madden challenge points?

yeah i still get madden points for some goals. sometimes the goal is "score 30 points in a 5 minute quarter" or whatever, and obviously you aren't going to be getting any madden points for that. but i still get points for no turnovers, holding the CPU under a certain amount of points and so on. i will post the sliders i'm using later on (when i get around to playing franchise)

oh, also wasabi i tried to trade for jerry rice at the beginning of my new franchise, the raiders wouldn't take the bait. i offered julian peterson AND a first round pick and they wouldn't do it! i guess cause he's an "icon", but god damn dude i wonder what it would take to get him (i have no "icons" on the niners btw)

FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh, also wasabi i tried to trade for jerry rice at the beginning of my new franchise, the raiders wouldn't take the bait. i offered julian peterson AND a first round pick and they wouldn't do it! i guess cause he's an "icon", but god damn dude i wonder what it would take to get him (i have no "icons" on the niners btw)

They understand the importance of what he'll do for the team. They recognize his age and experience, and how valuable he is to a team... I gave up a 1st and 2nd rounder, plus a MLB for Ray Lewis and some 4th and 5th rounders... Worked like a charm...

BTW, I love accelerated clock, but now I know I'm going to be throwing 400+ yds a game, haha.

Fifty

Wellington said:
Guys if Fifty tells you over AIM he wants to play you, it's just a cruel joke to make you wait for half an hour.

Half an hour :( Dammit.

My ethernet cable snapped right as I was switching the cord from the computer to my Xbox.....I just got home with a new cable now. I was so fucking pissed...I'm sorry dude, I really am. There was nothing I could do.

Fifty

No, I believe I was the one telling you to use them when we first played. :) By the way, they "lit" our names, so if you have the premium pass, your name will appear yellow, nothing too impressive.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yea I thought our names would flash or something....weaksause.

guys we need 2 more for the madden tourney! we have 30 minutes left for that to happen! if you have madden and XBL, join the tourney!

name: gaf 2
pass: Espn

Top Bottom