• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Off-season Madden Season 12 Thread: PS3 Vs. 360 (PLUS NCAA!)

What version of Madden do you prefer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Rorschach said:
We should have a vote on trades. I, for one, vote no vehemently!

I agree with this man! From seeing the type of WTF trades that have been executed on the NBA league side; it is a bad idea! If we do it, there should be substantial restrictions (e.g. certain players being untradable, trade limit per year etc.)

Dont you dare backpeddle FMT, strong leaders stay the course when they make a decision!

daw840

Shawnwhann said:
I agree with this man! From seeing the type of WTF trades that have been executed on the NBA league side; it is a bad idea! If we do it, there should be substantial restrictions (e.g. certain players being untradable, trade limit per year etc.)

Dont you dare backpeddle FMT, strong leaders stay the course when they make a decision!

My view on trades would be similar to how we do this on the fantasy football league that I am in. Two teams propose a trade, and the rest of the league would have to vote on the trade. This seems to eliminate trades like, oh I don't know, Alex Smith for Brett Favre (As I'm sure FMT would do immediately if Farve decides not to retire!)

Mrbob

I will only trade Rex Grossman for Peyton Manning. Anyone else would be a lesser QB for me to use on my team.

jjasper said:
I am not playing as some crappy ACC school, not happening.

Yeah this is why I think the online dynasty should open up for at least another conference. Not everyone wants to use an ACC team. I really don't care what team I use to be honest. I'll take the worst of the worst and attempt to build them up. Oh wait, I already am with Duke. :D

DMczaf

More details on Madden 09 Online Leagues

http://www.gametap.com/articles/gamefeatures/madden_nfl_09_interview-04252008

GameTap: How are online leagues going to be implemented in Madden 09?

Phil Frazier: For the first time ever in Madden, you'll be able to get together with 32 of your friends and participate in a league where you can play through a schedule, play through the playoffs, play your own Super Bowl. There's draft support, there's trade support, and we actually implemented flex scheduling in the online leagues. We've had tournaments before online, but the problem with tournaments is that having more than two or three people together at the same time to complete a series of games is very, very challenging. So with flex scheduling, you can actually play your games in any order. It's more like a round-robin style. We did this because it's online and we wanted to make sure people can actually play through their seasons. If you and I are scheduled to meet in Week 10 but we're both online today, we can just play our Week 10 game now. I know there are possible issues or questions about what happens to the rosters if you get injured, but we're not worrying about that right now. We wanted to set up a system where leagues would actually get used and are very user-friendly in terms of the coordination required. It's all server based. There are no files to manage. There's no data whatsoever being saved on your box.

GameTap: With the online leagues, are gamers going to be able to make trades online using their computer or is it all through the game system?

Phil Frazier: You'll do it through the game. Everything is done through the product itself. Web support is a big factor and we definitely want you to be able to go to the Web and take a look at league statistics, but a lot of the interaction will have to take place using the product itself.

daw840 said:
My view on trades would be similar to how we do this on the fantasy football league that I am in. Two teams propose a trade, and the rest of the league would have to vote on the trade. This seems to eliminate trades like, oh I don't know, Alex Smith for Brett Favre (As I'm sure FMT would do immediately if Farve decides not to retire!)

Can you imagine the logistical nightmares this would garner given there will be 32 teams with 53 man rosters per team?!? We have a hard enough time getting everyone to play their games, much less time to hop online to do polls and debates over controversial trades. Hopefully the game has some robust admin tools to set parameters just like we want them...But with this being the first iteration of Madden leagues, I'm not holding my breath!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ok I'm 100% sure I'm getting the PS3 version.

I looked at the votes again and there are two bitches I want nothing to do with who only play on the 360 :p

Mrbob

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Somebody inform sharkwaters.com now.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
jjasper said:
I am not playing as some crappy ACC school, not happening.
As I said in the other thread, we don't have to make it ACC schools. We can make 12 team leagues with 2 conferences of six.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Matrix said:
Ok I'm 100% sure I'm getting the PS3 version.

I looked at the votes again and their are two bitches I want nothing to do with who only play on the 360 :p

Good cause i want nothing to do with you and your curse on me :)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
CB3 said:
Good cause i want nothing to do with you and your curse on me :)

:lol

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Shawnwhann said:
It's crazy how many people have amnesia about the havoc the RROD caused on our leagues last season. Why put ourselves in the position to incur the same drama this year?

With all reports indicating that the PS3 versions of the football games being released this year are a silkly smooth 60fps and not feature fucked, this is a relative no brainer if we want to ensure the hardware itself doesn't decide to fate of the leagues.

Also the poll has turned to shit! While there are several vets there, I also see alot of names I dont recognize in addition to one I have a hard time believing will be invited to join this year. Perhaps we can do a new poll once the MGS4 pack is released as that's a substantial carrot that will get some 360-only people to splurge.

Either way it shakes, there are going to be alot of dissapointed people. I'm just happy I'm in the camp that can do either scenario...so I'm good! :D

Well now that Online Leagues are coming I will be buying the PS3 version!

As far as the 360 version goes, not only was RROD a problem last year but you also get the Dirty Disc Error that ruined a few games too.

daw840

Gunstar77 said:
Well now that Online Leagues are coming I will be buying the PS3 version!

As far as the 360 version goes, not only was RROD a problem last year but you also get the Dirty Disc Error that ruined a few games too.

OK, maybe PS3 doesn't have RROD......but dirty disc would seem to be a problem across the board

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
daw840 said:
OK, maybe PS3 doesn't have RROD......but dirty disc would seem to be a problem across the board

I would say for every 1 DDE I get on my PS3, I get 15 on 360. So, a 1 to 15 ratio is not the same across the board.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Don't sweat it, we all know he's an MS Shill, trying to change FMT's mind ;P

But...with Online Leagues...do we NEED him to start one :D :lol

Lonestar said:
But...with Online Leagues...do we NEED him to start one

1102cartmansucks1040001xm0.jpg

Rorschach

Lonestar said:
Don't sweat it, we all know he's an MS Shill, trying to change FMT's mind ;P

But...with Online Leagues...do we NEED him to start one
Better than having a bad commish start one. Proven leadership!

:lol @ cartman

Gowans

Hey guys been loving league play in the onlne footy games but I'm guessing if I pick up Madden and play as a some pretty new to it from the UK it would be far to much hassle or is it easy points?

Slo

Gowans007 said:
Hey guys been loving league play in the onlne footy games but I'm guessing if I pick up Madden and play as a some pretty new to it from the UK it would be far to much hassle or is it easy points?

What do you mean by easy points? It's going to be overwhelming if you know nothing about football
fuck off, I'm not saying "American" football
, but it's an outstanding way to learn the game.

DCX

DCX
(neutral) Gowans007
Has the worst ideas ever
(Today, 06:45 AM)
Reply | Quote

:lol :lol Seriously, it's really a high level of play. I can only compare it to joining a Pro Gamer tourney in Street Fighter or Halo. It's just so advanced that you learning the game of football or even Madden itself would be stressful and the learning curve would be like 2-3 years for sure. My advice to you is pick up/rent 08 and just play the game to get the hang of what Madden is like. Pick some of the vets heads about plays and stuff. Practice, practice and practice some more. Playing online against randoms will do nothing for you as they don't play a realistic game of football. I suggest playing against league members in scrimages. I'm sure with time you will get better.

I thought i was a good Madden player and i was coming off of playing the 2K series and my learning curve was long. I had the Bills for my first season and i ended up 4-12. I had some nice 12-4 seasons, some playoffs berths but no Championship :/

DCX

Matrix

Also make sure to play with the Texans,it will make winning easier.

Gowans

Slo said:
What do you mean by easy points? It's going to be overwhelming if you know nothing about football
fuck off, I'm not saying "American" football
, but it's an outstanding way to learn the game.

If I would be put up with as I would be shat!

DCX said:
(neutral) Gowans007
Has the worst ideas ever
(Today, 06:45 AM)
Reply | Quote

:lol :lol Seriously, it's really a high level of play. I can only compare it to joining a Pro Gamer tourney in Street Fighter or Halo. It's just so advanced that you learning the game of football or even Madden itself would be stressful and the learning curve would be like 2-3 years for sure. My advice to you is pick up/rent 08 and just play the game to get the hang of what Madden is like. Pick some of the vets heads about plays and stuff. Practice, practice and practice some more. Playing online against randoms will do nothing for you as they don't play a realistic game of football. I suggest playing against league members in scrimages. I'm sure with time you will get better.

I thought i was a good Madden player and i was coming off of playing the 2K series and my learning curve was long. I had the Bills for my first season and i ended up 4-12. I had some nice 12-4 seasons, some playoffs berths but no Championship :/

DCX

:lol ok thats me out then,

as much as the online leagues and tourneys add to me wanting to pick up this years version and get to grips with Madden if the leagues super hard core then yeah I guess each game would be a total walkover and I would learn nothing and have zero fun all season.

I'll see you guys in friendlys then , might take me a few rollings :D

Gowans

Sod it I want in.

I think my lack of knowledge could mean I am going to the be rouge element, the giant killer, a loose cannon and unpredictable entity making the best players throw out their play books.

:lol :lol :lol

DCX

DCX
Gowans007 said:
Sod it I want in.

I think my lack of knowledge could mean I am going to the be rouge element, the giant killer, a loose cannon and unpredictable entity making the best players throw out their play books.

:lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol The only way i learn how to play anything is jumping right in. Never be affraid to ask questions, do some research, the the game of football and you'll be fine. Like i said, it takes a while.

DCX

Matrix

I really think I'm going to pre-order both today using that code and just cancel one when we get close to choosing what system the league will be on.

Rorschach

DCX said:
http://www.ebgames.com/gs/stopwatch/dailydeal.aspx

Free overnight shipping!!!! Come on man, pick a system for Farve's sake!

DCX
:lol FMT could never bring himself to enter that code.

Gowans007 said:
Sod it I want in.

We usually have multiple seasons. Maybe you could pick up the game, learn it, play some friendlies with us, and then join for the second season. Our skill levels range from really crappy players like me to really good players like DMczaf, FMT, etc. That's not really a problem, but it will be hard if you don't know the rules because we have other rules on top of the game rules to promote sim play.

Matrix

:lol @ rors calling himself a really crappy player...

Want crap,play against me!

Rorschach

Matrix said:
:lol @ rors calling himself a really crappy player...

Want crap,play against me!
:D Well, if you guys didn't like me with LaMont Jordan, you're gonna HATE me with McFadden.

The only bright side to today so far. :'(

I WANT YOU LONG TIME, LONG!

Redd

Only got the PS3 so i'm going with that version. If I had a 360 I would probably get that version since more of my friends have 360s.

daw840

Rorschach said:
Welcome to the 21st century. ;b

[edit]They have really slimmed the models. Finally, the WRs won't all be fat. :p

126bjnd.jpg

Futures!

OH, had to post a Chief getting pwned.....thanks

/slits wrist and climbs into warm bath.....

DMczaf

More Online League stuff

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/message.jspa?messageID=3511741#3511741

One point of clarification about online leagues.

1. Online Leagues are human only but support UP TO 32 teams. You can start a league with as little as 2 user teams.

2. If a player drops out the league automatically adjusts. For example, if you start a 8 team league and player 8 leaves, it just becomes a 7 team league. On the flip side, if you want to add a team to your league mid-season, this is fine as well. The schedule automatically adjusts. This is why the flex scheduling aspect is so important. We saw people start tournaments in our previous gen products and they would rarely finish because of the lack of flexibility in scheduling.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/870/870503p1.html

That being said, we have support for up to 32 users, full player stats, player trades, a fantasy profile draft, news options and a myriad of other features.

Ferwerda and Castorani: We do not allow for multi-team or multi-player trades. We made this decision for a few reasons. One, because of the flex scheduling, we have to make sure that players have played the same amount of games in order to be traded. By introducing multiple teams and multiple players, it muddies the waters quite a bit and makes it tough to get a trade done. Right now, we offer one for one trades of players that have played the same amount of games. Trades are a setting, as are the restrictions. If I have Randy Moss, play all ten games in a ten game schedule and have trades with restrictions on, I won't be able to trade him since he's played his maximum of games. If I have restrictions off, I can trade him to someone else who can use him for the remainder of their games.

Now, if users want to organize a multi-team trade, they can communicate with each other and then follow through with their plans.

Ferwerda and Castorani: In order to make sure leagues run as smooth as possible, we keep all rosters on the server and use the latest up to date NFL roster to start the league. Because of this, altered rosters are not supported.

IGN: But what if the person I'm playing against in an online league game happens to get disconnected during the game. Is there some sort of forgiveness option to make it up or do I automatically win?

Ferwerda and Castorani: We will offer a full suite of GM Administration options such as force win and a multitude of other settings that will allow users to ensure that the results in their leagues are correct.

IGN: How will a dropped connection effect stats?

Ferwerda and Castorani: We're actually working on that stuff right now and will have more info on that soon. Rest assured we'll do our absolute best to guarantee the integrity of the league and its statistics.

Andokuky

Banned
Trades and flex scheduling together are going to make a mess out of leagues. Makes no sense. So you can trade a player when you have 15 games played and like, play your week 1 game with someone you didn't have the rest of the year? How hard is it to just make a schedule and give people a few days to play? Stats would be difficult to gauge as well. But hey, still far better than nothing.

bluemax

Banned
I still say no trades.

The only real downside I see is it sounds like once we start the season we will be locked in to rosters, players who go up or down as the season goes won't matter to online like in years past.

daw840

bluemax said:
I still say no trades.

The only real downside I see is it sounds like once we start the season we will be locked in to rosters, players who go up or down as the season goes won't matter to online like in years past.

Really?

Why wouldn't they just make the player stats change on each update? It seems like the online leagues could ignore any trades that are made IRL and still modify the actual stats and injuries online.

Slo

I say no trades. The Vikes are complete. They have no needs. I only stand to lose if we allow trades.

Rorschach

I stand by my earlier statement of no trades!!!
If trades happen, Wellie and I are gonna make a trade that's going to break the league in two! Raiders/Giants confirmed >:|

daw840 said:
Really?

Why wouldn't they just make the player stats change on each update? It seems like the online leagues could ignore any trades that are made IRL and still modify the actual stats and injuries online.
It's because of the trades and flex scheduling. In 05, the latest roster update was reflected in the leagues. :( Maybe we should wait for the first roster update to start.

Top Bottom