• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: PSP December 12, 19800 yen

xexex said:
It begins

...............since 1989 Nintendo ruled the handheld industry...............

Sony: 'no more''

They better don't forget securing enough killer apps and making aggressive marketing in the console part, or otherwise Microsoft will be able to say about the same of them, earlier or later.

btrboyev

Yeah i wouldn't declare sony victory anytime soon, they still have to compete with the dominating GBA and an attractive DS at the same time.

Graphics aren't what make systems great, and graphics by the far is the main difference between the systems. The music and movie side isn't going to be a big factor imo, just added extras, kinda like pictochat.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
How can 4-6 hours of battery life for this thing be considered "bad?" The GBA SP is rated at 10 hours and is many, many times less powerful and has a smaller, inferior screen. I think it's right on target.

Better than the 2 hours haters kept pushing on everybody since E3.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Guns N' Poops said:
Oh come on, this is a weak bash. I don't like handhelds at all, but everyone should be able to admit the positive surprise.
It's not a bash. It's a statement of fact. Using the speakers and/or LAN will lower the battery life below 4 hours.

How can 4-6 hours of battery life for this thing be considered "bad?" The GBA SP is rated at 10 hours and is many, many times less powerful and has a smaller, inferior screen. I think it's right on target.
I am relieved that the estimate is a little higher than expected, but it's still not fully straightforward with its true minimum. And I would counter your argument by asking what is the point of being soooo much more powerful if you can't really use that power for any real length of time?

That said, the price is lower than I thought, and the battery life estimate is higher than I feared it would be. In all, it's a pretty positive announcement, and I do feel a bit better about the device in the short term than I did before.

Zaptruder

Banned
wow, can't believe I overlooked this thread.

4-6 hours battery life is pretty damn reasonable. Definetly good enough for a day outing or so (if you play it all day while out, what's the point of going out?), then bring it back at night and recharge while replaying.

And if 4-6 hours isn't good enough, well the battery pack is replaced easily enough!

And where would you be using speakers + lan that wouldn't have decent access to a powerpoint?

Brofist

Zaptruder said:
wow, can't believe I overlooked this thread.

4-6 hours battery life is pretty damn reasonable. Definetly good enough for a day outing or so (if you play it all day while out, what's the point of going out?), then bring it back at night and recharge while replaying.

And if 4-6 hours isn't good enough, well the battery pack is replaced easily enough!

And where would you be using speakers + lan that wouldn't have decent access to a powerpoint?

Yeah really, 4-6 should be fine. I can't imagine playing a handheld longer than that (or even that long for that matter).

acklame

SolidSnakex said:
That's 185 US BTW. So mcuh for the people that were so sure of it being 300+.

FF7 game announced plus this price tag.

holy shit!

what FF7 game?!

Launch games --

Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Need for Speed Underground Rivals
Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Shin Sangoku Musou
Mahjong Taikai
Mahjong Kakutou Club
Metal Gear Acid
Kollon
Puyo Puyo Fever
Doko demo issho
Minna no Golf Portable
Puzzle Bobble Pocket
Kotoba no puzzle mojipittan daijiten
Ridge Racers
Rengoku The Tower of Purgatory
Eiyu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy
Lumines
Armored Core: Formula Front
AI Igo
AI Shogi
AI Mahjong

omfg, I'm sold, double sold, and triple sold :D

Looks like I'll be grabbing the bundle with MG Acid, Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer and Lumines :D

and that box art is SEX!!!

xexex

Banned
in the year 1994, Sony declared Nintendo's console market dominance was over

in the year 2004, Sony declared Nintendo's handheld market dominance was over

this what happens when you stab Sony in the back at CES....... :lol

btrboyev

this what happens when you stab Sony in the back at CES.......

but nintendo didn't have market dominance in 1994.

lunlunqq

acklame said:
holy shit!

what FF7 game?!

omfg, I'm sold, double sold, and triple sold :D

Looks like I'll be grabbing the bundle with MG Acid, Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer and Lumines :D

and that box art is SEX!!!

Holy crap!!!

With that price and this game, PSP is a sure success!!!!!!!!!!!!!

67313.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh dear god. That is unbelievable news. All my props go to Sony for pulling this off. Price, date, battery life, all are amazing.

This just about wraps it up for Nintendo.

xexex said:

this what happens when you stab Sony in the back at CES....... :lol

Oh, shut up.

Geez, everytime there is some sort of announcement all the idiots from other boards come out and register to troll.

You do realize that Sony is the one who is going to have an uphill battle? Nintendo's dominance isn't a struggle hold on the market, they have dominance because they know the handheld market very well.

xexex

Banned
but nintendo didn't have market dominance in 1994.

well I think Nintendo did, because Sega's dominance from 1991-1993 was ending in late 1994, with Super Nintendo making a comeback with DKC and whatnot,

Gek54

kitchenmotors said:
Nintendo's dominance isn't a struggle hold on the market, they have dominance because they know the handheld market very well.

New market now that there is a substancial competitor. What could nintendo possibly do?

xexex

Banned
Oh, shut up.

Geez, everytime there is some sort of announcement all the idiots from other boards come out and register to troll.

You do realize that Sony is the one who is going to have an uphill battle? Nintendo's dominance isn't a struggle hold on the market, they have dominance because they know the handheld market very well.

feeling scared for Nintendo are we? little bit of deja vu :lol

jiggle

I gotta say, I'm not surprised Sony kept this a secret for so long(whether or not they really did plan to announc the price pre-TGS we'll never know...too bad.), and annouced it in conjunction with a FF-related news. Thunder stolen, imbo of course.

How long before DC came out did they show off PS2 and the FFVIII demo?

btrboyev

deja vu? not really, nintendo is in a good position this time.

It will be a good battle, but the DS will have a head start and a cheaper price along with GBA compatibility giving it an edge.

AniHawk

btrboyev said:
deja vu? not really, nintendo is in a good position this time.

It will be a good battle, but the DS will have a head start and a cheaper price along with GBA compatibility giving it an edge.

And with this post, I predict this thread will spiral downward faster for a long, long time. I'll see you all later.

xexex said:
feeling scared for Nintendo are we? little bit of deja vu :lol

No, junior member, because I'm thinking with a bit of common sense. You don't take hold of any market in a second, like so many Sony fans are declaring in this thread. How is it possible for a new competitor to take complete control of a market and get the entire marketshare? It's not fucking possible, as much as you would like to believe.

Nintendo isn't doomed. PSP is a multimedia device that happens to play games. GBA is a pure handheld game system, which you cannot count out because NDS still plays GBA games and GBA sells more than anything other hardware at the moment. NDS is a multipurpose game and communication device. All three have different attributes to their advantages, and this is where the market will split. It won't split evenly, because, face it...PSP is going against Gameboy and Pokemon.

This announcement is exciting, but Sony has a lot to learn about the handheld market just yet.

AniHawk

kitchenmotors said:
No, junior member, because I'm thinking with a bit of common sense. You don't take hold of any market in a second, like so many Sony fans are declaring in this thread. How is it possible for a new competitor to take complete control of a market and get the entire marketshare? It's not fucking possible, as much as you would like to believe.

Nintendo isn't doomed. PSP is a multimedia device that happens to play games. GBA is a pure handheld game system, which you cannot count out because NDS still plays GBA games and GBA sells more than anything other hardware at the moment. NDS is a multipurpose game and communication device. All three have different attributes to their advantages, and this is where the market will split. It won't split evenly, because, face it...PSP is going against Gameboy and Pokemon.

This announcement is exciting, but Sony has a lot to learn about the handheld market just yet.

I take it back, it will be THIS post.

And to respond to this: Sony doesn't really need to "know" anything about handhelds. They just need to know how to market things correctly (and they do- probably moreso than any other game company out there). The PSP will be a very successful machine.

pilonv1

Anihawk said:
And with this post, I predict this thread will spiral downwards faster for a long, long time. I'll see you all later.

It already started with the above quote about Sony bleeding money. PROFITS = FUN. And the post above this one is helping it snowball.

Brofist

Chittagong said:
Oh dear god. That is unbelievable news. All my props go to Sony for pulling this off. Price, date, battery life, all are amazing.

yep, nothing more to see here, the trolls have come to mop up. Gonna grab a Mild Seven and take a walk :p

btrboyev

And with this post, I predict this thread will spiral downward faster for a long, long time. I'll see you all later.

why? Are the things are mentioned that far-fetched? I didn't say nintendo has secured a victory, I'm just saying they still have the upper hand at the moment.

Gek54

kitchenmotors said:
Nintendo isn't doomed. PSX is a multimedia device that happens to play games. N64 is a pure game system, It won't split evenly, because, face it...PSX is going against N64 and Mario.

This announcement is exciting, but Sony has a lot to learn about the console market just yet.

:D

AniHawk said:
I take it back, it will be THIS post.

And to respond to this: Sony doesn't really need to "know" anything about handhelds. They just need to know how to market things correctly (and they do- probably moreso than any other game company out there). The PSP will be a very successful machine.

You of all people should know that Nintendo has a huge audience in the handheld market because they know how it works. You can't expect Sony to pull away with the market based on how they plan market the PSP.

this is what nintendo gets for trying to pawn off revolution and innovation in the form of two touch screens that provide absolutely no incentive or added gameplay bonuses with grainy, blocky subpar n64 graphics.

AniHawk

btrboyev said:
why? Are the things are mentioned that far-fetched? I didn't say nintendo has secured a victory, I'm just saying they still have the upper hand at the moment.

It would have been better to just say nothing instead of coming out into a PSP praise thread and say something to focus everyone's attention on. Now I imagine we'll see appearances by jarrod, Drinky Crow, and other regulars who are already in this thread as we discuss why or why not the PSP or DS will fail, and someone will pipe in every 100-150 posts or so to say, "so what, the GBA SP will still outsell them both."

Fresh Prince said:
Do people really want to see Sony dominate both markets (except for Panajev2001a ofcourse)?

Not at all.

kitchenmotors said:
You of all people should know that Nintendo has a huge audience in the handheld market because they know how it works. You can't expect Sony to pull away with the market based on how they plan market the PSP.

Hell, good marketing was able to sell what piddly amounts of the N-Gage systems so far even with its ports (downgrades) of this gen's franchises, superior graphics (to the GBA), and wireless gaming. Granted, all three of these new systems will cost/do cost over $100, but imagine what happens when you throw the Playstation name in there, and when you take the Game Boy name out.

btrboyev

Don't forget SSX and Marconelly :p

I hope they both do well, but I'm not gonna hide the fact i want the DS to win, just to humble sony :)

this is what nintendo gets for trying to pawn off revolution and innovation in the form of two touch screens that provide absolutely no incentive or added gameplay bonuses

um what? We're already saying some pretty cool things being done with the touch screen.

Gek54 said:

Sure, smile all you want. But Sony is entering the handheld market at the height of Nintendo's success. That's a far cry from when PS One entered the market, where Nintendo was already losing ground to Sega.

AniHawk said:
It would have been better to just say nothing instead of coming out into a PSP praise thread and say something to focus everyone's attention on. Now I imagine we'll see appearances by jarrod, Drinky Crow, and other regulars who are already in this thread as we discuss why or why not the PSP or DS will fail, and someone will pipe in every 100-150 posts or so to say, "so what, the GBA SP will still outsell them both."

This is GAF, what do you expect? :p

kpop100 said:
that's why it's good Sony got into portable gaming.
Exactly! Otherwise, we'd still be playing sub-SNES quality games on our portables for the next few years with zero motivation for Nintendo to release their DS.

I believe there's enough room in the future for both Sony and Nintendo to have equal share in the portables marketplace because both of their machines offer unique features and are affordable. It's going to be a fun ride for us gamers, that's for sure.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
WOW now im pretty keen to get a PSP at that price!!

However Nintendo is by far the best handheld developer at the moment but with good 3rd party support and first party titles I might get the PSP instead!

Looks like I wont run out and buy a DS at its Australian release!

*grabs Popcorn and waits to watch what happens in Japan and the States!

Jonnyram

kitchenmotors said:
Sure, smile all you want. But Sony is entering the handheld market at the height of Nintendo's success. That's a far cry from when PS One entered the market, where Nintendo was already losing ground to Sega.
Actually, PS came at a time when Nintendo were beating Sega in the console market. The SNES was actually on top of the Megadrive by some way, by the end of that generation. However, third parties were itching to jump ship because of Nintendo's ridiculous licensing fees. A similar situation has existed for some time in the handheld market, so PSP could easily have stolen the market away from Nintendo... BUT the DS may reduce the damage somehow, by giving 3rd parties much better options than they had on the GBA.

btrboyev

I wasn't trying to get attention, just giving my opinion on the comment about the 1994 comment. clearly its a different ball game in 2004.

and apparently this news has caused an earthquake in japan :p

Shoryuken

This was posted in the rumor thread (which has turned out to be somewhat true). Does anyone know if these prices or dates are confirmed. If so it looks like PSP games will range from $37 to $57, with $47 being the norm for most games.

Launch titles
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour (5040 yen)
- Need for Speed: Underground Rivals (5040)
- Vampire Chronicles: The Chaos Tower (5040)
- Sangokushi (6090)
- Dokodemo Issho (3990)
- Minna no Golf Portable (5040)
- Mojipittan (4725)
- Ridge Racer Evolution (5040)
- Purgatory (5040)
- Gagarve Trilogy (5040)
- Lumines (3990)
- Armored Core: Formula Front (5040)

23 Jan
- Gran Turismo 4 Mobile (5040)
- Popolocrois: Prince Pietro's Adventure (3990)
- FFVII Advent Children (5040)

24 Jan
- Puyo Puyo Fever (3990)

Feb
- Metal Gear Acid (5040)
- TOE (5040)

Top Bottom