• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Thread of Toronto on Strike, or Something is Rotten in Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azih

Older strikes don't change the fact that he's a shit mayor.
Man I don't know, it might just be that the only other mayor I've experienced is Mel Lastman but damn Miller is better than that guy.

It's pretty sad to see when the unions start to employ the corporate mentality they used to rebel against.
Agreed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
More good news; taxpayers will be supplying the pay for the security guards at the temporary dump sites in City parks that everyone is complaining about. And..

Because the sites are picketed only from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., trash is not being accepted after hours. Private security guards have been hired to prevent after-hours dumping. - The Star

Wahaha. So.. people are only allowed to dump between 7am and 7pm because the picketers don't want to picket for longer hours? Give me a break. :lol

jibblypop

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Apparently even the buffoons who voted for him the first time around see what a shithole Toronto has become.

:lol wow. Oh ya, what a shithole! I can't even go outside without being shot 80 times and look at all the boarded up buildings!
You are such an alarmist.

Yes, the garbage strike is bad but can you honestly walk outside and tell me the city is in complete disrepair and a "shithole"? Have you been to any actual shithole cities where things are truly very wrong? Like Detroit for example. I like Detroit but that is a city that needs help.. not Toronto.

My girlfriend is American and her parents just visited here a couple weeks ago and said to me "I have never seen a city this clean". Now granted if they came during this garbage strike I'm sure they wouldn't have said that but this garbage strike is temporary and then things will go back to normal.

If you think Toronto is such a shithole then why don't you just move to Oakville? I hear they have a Walmart, a Best Buy and 10 thousand parking lots there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jibblypop said:
:lol wow. Oh ya, what a shithole! I can't even go outside without being shot 80 times and look at all the boarded up buildings!

Yes, the garbage strike is bad but can you honestly walk outside and tell me the city is in complete disrepair and a "shithole"? Have you been to any actual shithole cities where things are truly very wrong? Like Detroit for example. I like Detroit but that is a city that needs help.. not Toronto.

My girlfriend is American and her parents just visited here a couple weeks ago and said to me "I have never seen a city this clean". Now granted if they came during this garbage strike I'm sure they wouldn't have said that but this garbage strike is temporary and then things will go back to normal.

If you think Toronto is such a shithole then why don't you just move to Oakville? I hear they have a Walmart, a Best Buy and 10 thousand parking lots there.

Other Canadians love to complain about Toronto.. but they'll gladly accept the tax revenue the city generates for the country.

Azih

EvilMario said:
Don't worry guys, David Miller will win my vote by bringing those new streetcars to Toron..... wait a minute.
Streetcars are a done deal:
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/589901

And honestly Miller is setting up Baird up to come in like a knight in shining armour with stimulus funding for the 'delayed' capital projects as they are 'shovel ready' and will provide jobs 'right away', instead of being delayed. If the feds take the win-win bait then Miller will put ads on the TTC thanking the province *and* the feds profusely as he's been doing for the province recently.

Duke Togo

They better have that shit cleaned up by August. If not, this would be the 2nd time I've experienced a garbage strike while being in Toronto to visit family. FUUUC....

jibblypop said:
We have a Future Shop, too! (I hate this town.)

Azih said:
And honestly Miller is setting up Baird up to come in like a knight in shining armour with stimulus funding for the 'delayed' capital projects as they are 'shovel ready' and will provide jobs 'right away', instead of being delayed.
I don't think the Tories will honestly be able to pull-off a White Knight play. Their hatred of Liberal Toronto is so great that you'll be able to see the scowl through the armour.

As for those "shovel ready" jobs? It's bullshit. The money will go to connected, scumbag contractors who will embezzle and put 8 people standing around on a road while one person digs, and then the jobs will evaporate again as soon as the work is done. At least with Bombardier there will be actual jobs for 10 years.

Darko

GrapeApes said:
southpark-1204Canada-on-Strike_1207080373.jpg

Has there been any choreographed songs?

We want more money!

jibblypop said:
Did I say unsafe? No. Obviously, even with the increase in gun related crimes the last few years, Toronto is as safe as any other city in North America. Shithole /=\ crime-ridden. Don't put words in my mouth.

Yes, the garbage strike is bad but can you honestly walk outside and tell me the city is in complete disrepair and a "shithole"? Have you been to any actual shithole cities where things are truly very wrong? Like Detroit for example. I like Detroit but that is a city that needs help.. not Toronto. My girlfriend is American and her parents just visited here a couple weeks ago and said to me "I have never seen a city this clean". Now granted if they came during this garbage strike I'm sure they wouldn't have said that but this garbage strike is temporary and then things will go back to normal.
Congratulations on using the ultimate epitome of filth in America to validate your point. I might as well use Austin, Texas as my comparison to Toronto. For your information, I've been to 49 of 50 United States. I'd rank Toronto near the middle to bottom of that list. It's dirty. Come to Queen/Dundas and Bathurst anytime in the last few years. It's fucking disgusting. Sure, there are nice areas. Yorkdale, Rosedale, I'm sure where Miller lives is beautiful. But this city has significantly deteriorated in the last 5 years. There was litter all over the city before this strike. Toronto needs a Rudy Giuliani to come and clean up the streets.

Oakville is far far worse. Thanks though. That's a sad excuse by the way. 'Well you think it's shit here so move!'. Grow up.

All I have to say is that Toronto is a great place with hot chicks and many things to do. Hopefully this strike ends soon. I hate retarded unions.

TheExodu5 said:
I like it in Ottawa. :)
Ottawa is a good place to live but there is literally shit all to do, the city is too spread out and has absolutely shit transportation. John Baird is a giant douche.

Buba Big Guns said:
many things to do.
I hear this spouted some times and I don't get it. I mean, maybe it's just the fact that I've lived here for 20 years and granted a lot of other Canadian cities are far more dull.. but is there really? I look at some of the great European or Asian cities (london, barca, rome, istanbul, tokyo,etc) or even some US ones.. I mean we have one museum and one great attraction here for christsake. /off-topic rant

jibblypop

Banned
For your information, I've been to 49 of 50 United States. I'd rank Toronto near the middle to bottom of that list.

Is that supposed to impress me that you've been to 49 States? I have too (well actually 41 states but still..) and I rank Toronto near the very top. Plus I have been to almost every country in Europe and most of Asia and I still rank Toronto quite high. I think you just have this self loathing problem.

I remember you with your very questionable comments in the Tamil protest thread so I'm not surprised with your opinions here.

jibblypop said:
Is that supposed to impress me that you've been to 49 States? I have too (well actually 41 states but still..) and I rank Toronto near the very top. Plus I have been to almost every country in Europe and most of Asia and I still rank Toronto quite high. I think you just have this self loathing problem.
I've been to 80+ countries. I guess my e-peen is bigger now again right? How does seeing the deterioration of Toronto make me a self-loather? :lol I'm glad you think Toronto is near the top of the places you've seen. I think it's near the middle-bottom. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I remember you with your very questionable comments in the Tamil protest thread so I'm not surprised with your opinions here.
Yes. Being against babies in strollers on highways is questionable. :lol I eagerly await your next step in futility when you quote my off-topic post history to try to discount my credibility.

Come to Queen/Dundas and Bathurst anytime in the last few years. It's fucking disgusting.
Firstly, you're exaggerating by saying that area is "fucking disgusting". Yes, Chinatown is covered in filth year-round, but that's Chinatown. The rest of that area is pretty damn clean compared to similar American neighbourhoods I've been too. Also, any litter problem is likely because the area has more pedestrian traffic than probably anywhere else in Canada. People speeding through suburbs in cars don't leave much garbage.

Second, that neighbourhood is obviously representative of Toronto as a whole. (/sacrasm) Or, are you one of those people who rarely ventures outside a very tiny set of borders?

I hear this spouted some times and I don't get it. I mean, maybe it's just the fact that I've lived here for 20 years and granted a lot of other Canadian cities are far more dull.. but is there really? I look at some of the great European or Asian cities (london, barca, rome, istanbul, tokyo,etc) or even some US ones.. I mean we have one museum and one great attraction here for christsake. /off-topic rant
It just way easier to chill with friends at a lounge or restaurant etc.

lunarworks said:
Yes, Chinatown is covered in filth year-round, but that's Chinatown.
Racist so..

Second, that neighbourhood is obviously representative of Toronto as a whole. (/sacrasm) Or, are you one of those people who rarely ventures outside a very tiny set of borders?
Huh? If anything, I gave one example of filth and three of cleanliness. Are you implying that Bathurst downtown is the only bad area? There are plenty good but plenty bad through-out the entire core.

Doytch

AGO is disappointed that you have forgotten it. (Science Center and HHOF also =P)

Doytch said:
AGO is disappointed that you have forgotten it. (Science Center and HHOF also =P)
man i went to the science center a few years ago.. that place isn't as cool as when we were kids. :(
also I have to check out the AGO since it's been renovated.. have you been? I hear the restaurant is good too.. and the HHOF - well let's just say it hasn't been relevant for 40+ years.

Doytch

man i went to the science center a few years ago.. that place isn't as cool as when we were kids. :(
also I have to check out the AGO since it's been renovated.. have you been? I hear the restaurant is good too.. and the HHOF - well let's just say it hasn't been relevant for 40+ years.

Yeah I haven't been to the Science Centre since it was a field trip destination, so....

But the AGO is great. Really great atmosphere and interior design, and they usually have a pretty good feature going. I only started going when I took an art history elective last year, and people kept telling me I should come since it's awesome. Pretty decent bar across the street also...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Generalizing Toronto's neighborhoods by saying everything is as trashy as Queen and Bathurst, or sketchy Jarvis area is a bit harsh. It'd be like saying to someone visiting San Francisco that the entire City is just like Hunter's Point, or SOMA.

As for Chinatown, when you have an area with that much foot traffic every day, you get trash. Queen St itself through all the hipster districts have trash, but it's nothing compared to what is creeping up right now. People can't even handle their trash for five days; the union will surely crush us under our own stinky, disgusting weight of garbage.

Doytch said:
Yeah I haven't been to the Science Centre since it was a field trip destination, so....

But the AGO is great. Really great atmosphere and interior design, and they usually have a pretty good feature going. I only started going when I took an art history elective last year, and people kept telling me I should come since it's awesome. Pretty decent bar across the street also...

Village Idiot or something right?

lunarworks said:
Did I say "That's the Chinese?"
No.
So, fuck you.
Who pissed in your breakfast Corn Flakes? :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Speaking of AGO.. how about an AGO vs. ROM face off for the King of Ugly? I can't wait for this strike to go on for 2 months, well into and through tourist season. With the smell, and the trash everyone people will never want to visit Toronto again. Speaking of which, I saw a couple at an HMV saying they were HONEYMOONING in Toronto. Now, Toronto is a decent City.. when we're not being eaten alive by unions and our own government, but who seriously has their honeymoon here? :lol

And now for the fight:

3031372399_4de6cc959b_b.jpg

vs.

3662658181_189a1532b1_b.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jibblypop said:
That is a very unflattering angle of the Art Gallery. Its actually a very nice addition:

Every time I take the streetcar past the building (I haven't been inside since the renovation, I'm sure it's lovely), I am just shocked that someone actually thought it looked great. But it looks like he wasn't alone. :lol

Of course, we can't all be OCAD.

44325593_1bc37758d1.jpg

jibblypop

Banned
EvilMario said:
Every time I take the streetcar past the building (I haven't been inside since the renovation, I'm sure it's lovely), I am just shocked that someone actually thought it looked great. But it looks like he wasn't alone. :lol

I think most people like it. It's not for the people that only like old school 1930s and earlier architecture (which seems to be way too many people) of course but for more modern architecture fans, Gehry did a good job. Especially considering it's just a new addition and not a building designed from scratch.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jibblypop said:
I think most people like it. It's not for the people that only like old school 1930s and earlier architecture (which seems to be way too many people) of course but for more modern architecture fans, Gehry did a good job. Especially considering it's just a new addition and not a building designed from scratch.

I'll admit, I don't hate the ROM as much as I first did when it was unveiled, and maybe the AGO will grow on me. But it might be a while.

Canova

Banned
Toronto strike SUCKS!!!!!!!

This is ridiculous. I love Toronto to death. It's a cool city, fun, great people, laid-back.

But gosh I can't stand the fucking unions, the mayor, the governments, the politician, the governor, etc, etc. They're spoiling my city!!!!

Gallbaro

Banned
You pussies are still letting this go on?

This is why labor organizations should be banned for government employees.

EvilMario said:

44325593_1bc37758d1.jpg

Holy shit!! Spider-Cow!!

I hate the look of that place and the new addition tot he ROM. Both ugly as fuck.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
EvilMario said:

44325593_1bc37758d1.jpg
I have defended OCAD on this forums before... but that building is too much :lol

baultista

Banned
Having lived in both Toronto and Ottawa, I can say that Ottawa is more peaceful, clean, and green, while Toronto is a lot more fun.

The garbage strike has been pretty bad... but my area hasn't been to affected. I'm on the outskirts of a Toronto suburb that has remained relatively clean. It sucks that our pools are closed (in summer no less) and that I have to wait at the dump for hours to get rid of my garbage, but otherwise I haven't been too affected.

My car and my garage both smell like shit though.

edit: On OCAD....

...it looks GREAT from the outside, but on the inside it pretty much looks like a highschool.

Canova

Banned
Gallbaro said:
You pussies are still letting this go on?

This is why labor organizations should be banned for government employees.

yeah it's still going on, it's day 27 or something like that.

What's more aggravating is the strike workers are picketing everything from drop-off stations to parking lots to ferry station, and our pansy mayor isn't doing shit about it. He is the sorriest sissy ever

YYZ

Racist so..
It's not racist when it's one of the hallmark images of our Chinatown. The garbage we now see all over the streets is the norm for some stores in Chinatown.

Interesting thing about this strike is the grassroots movements to clean up the city. I personally saw a truck going down Yonge street checking the auxiliary garbage bags hanging off the out-of-service bins.

Also, I don't really understand the unions. It's the same fucking story every year, whether it's CUPE or the TTC, every fucking time the contract expires, there's a threat of strike because they want raises and more benefits. More, more, more. There are loads of people who would gladly replace these workers if they abolished the unions. Just causes headaches for everyone.

DoctorWho said:
I hate the look of that place and the new addition tot he ROM. Both ugly as fuck.
OCAD's building is great. It really has a complimentary contrast with the neighbourhood.

Of course, I may be biased. I went to OCAD, during and shortly after the construction of that extension. (I never had classes in the "tabletop", though.)

But the strike, it needs to END. Our city is getting such a bad rep from it.

Pandanium

Neo Member
Hahahaha. Unions, 'nuff said.

Also probably enough Americans desperate for work you guys could hire. (Although I think the same thing happened here. I don't remember.)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
EvilMario said:

44325593_1bc37758d1.jpg

Shitty building for a shitty school. Perfect.

Ottawa is nice but has far too many teens dressed like 1970s punks that loiter outside the rideau centre 24/7 :p

And the AGO and ROM look awesome

acidviper

Banned
lunarworks said:
Firstly, you're exaggerating by saying that area is "fucking disgusting". Yes, Chinatown is covered in filth year-round, but that's Chinatown. The rest of that area is pretty damn clean compared to similar American neighbourhoods I've been too. Also, any litter problem is likely because the area has more pedestrian traffic than probably anywhere else in Canada. People speeding through suburbs in cars don't leave much garbage.

I don't see this as racist. He said Chinatown. Not Chinese people in Chinatown. There are a tonne of white and other races that go in this area and it is dirty with garbage strewn haphazardly and it always will. Just not a clean place.

Brannon

It's times like these you have to find some out-of-the-way place and dump your garbage (remove all identifying trash first), or go out of the city limits and burn it.

No shit it's not politically correct or legal, but I bet some people are going to start doing it if the strikes keep going. I give it a week.

Gallbaro

Banned
Big-E said:
Its always the unions fault ain't it.

Yes!

I remember the NYC Transit strike, those fuckers who already get paid too much to pick their nose in triple redundant positions shut down the city and held it hostage, to rob the populous of more money.

There is no way in the world these trash collectors were not making enough money for the skill/labor that job requires before hand. Unions in government rob the populous and defy universal suffrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom