• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

OMG Aero

What now? There's really a trophy for this? I've fallen into pits and cursed water many times, are those deaths!??

What's the trophy requirement?
The trophy is for getting a cherry tree rank for everything in the end game ranking screen, one of the things that you are ranked on is number of deaths and I think you have to have no more than 4 to get the cherry tree rank for that.

Ms. Tea

What now? There's really a trophy for this? I've fallen into pits and cursed water many times, are those deaths!??

You only lose one sun orb from falling in pits/drowning. They're talking about game overs that go to the game over screen - which are honestly pretty hard to get with how easy the game is.

Eusis

the hell? No retail version for EU or US then?
come on.
I'd bring up SCEA policies, but to be honest I doubt Capcom would've bothered. They certainly could've done an HD collection of RE4 and RE:CVX outside of Japan given how many duo packs there are and the fact that series IS bigger than many of those, but they didn't do anything non-DD.

Berordn

the hell? No retail version for EU or US then?
come on.

SCE's policies in EU and US prevent them from selling retail remasters outside of collections and bundles. Okami's also never been a huge seller in western markets anyway.\

edit: wow beat

Played till the first save point just now. Wow, the long intro really kind of annoyed me with all the bloop de bloop talking. But damn, the game looks absolutely gorgeous now that I am playing it. Glad I missed out on PS2 ver, because this is all new to me.

Animekatt

I'm 28 hours into the game so far, just made it to the
Northern Country Kamui
with 1 more brush god to go. Too bad I'm at work now, or I'd still be playing. :(

StuBurns

Banned
The second major section of this game is so good, the ship has some cool design, but all of the 'dungeons' are even further from the Zelda style than they are in the first third of the game, really snappy instances, between more of the 'city' exploration. I do hate the
shrunken
thing, mostly because the platforming is garbage, and pervasive, but for the most part, the game just gets better.

This is something that comes up quite a lot, but the scope of this game is really interesting. The game could just be the first twelve or so hours, no one would feel short changed, it covers a very substantial environment, the fact they essentially give you triple that is pretty amazing. There are a lot of games I feel should have sold better, Ico, SotC, BG&E, Rez, etc, but I can also see why they didn't. Okami should have been in the realms of a five million seller on PS2, it was truly robbed.

Yanksfan

This game shames me to this day. I bought it on PS2 on release day and I played it for a few hours..really dug it too. I never went back though and haven't touched it since to this day. So sad.

StuBurns

Banned
I've just got to the dragon palace, it really is pretty stunning. This game gets plenty of praise for it's art direction, but this environment specifically looks like it could be the basis for an entire game, I could look at it forever.

Nakayumi

Saw this one at a mate's place yesterday, didn't notice any screentearing. And damn, if it isn't one of the most gorgeous games I've seen in the past few years. It really shows how much style > realism. Also reminded me how much I'd love to see a HD remake of Zelda: The Wind Waker on Wii U, I'm willing to buy the console just for that.

One question I have for those who already own the game, is there an option included in the digital version to switch between English and Japanese language? I ordered the Asian disc-version as I wanna play it in both languages, but it's more expensive and I have to wait for at least 3 weeks before it gets here. If both languages are included on the digital version I think I'll just download it and get the Japanese disc version at a later date to add to my Okami collection. (Quadruple dip ^^)

I've just got to the dragon palace, it really is pretty stunning. This game gets plenty of praise for it's art direction, but this environment specifically looks like it could be the basis for an entire game, I could look at it forever.

Agreed. Such a Gorgeous Area!

Saw this one at a mate's place yesterday, didn't notice any screentearing. And damn, if it isn't one of the most gorgeous games I've seen in the past few years. It really shows how much style > realism. Also reminded me how much I'd love to see a HD remake of Zelda: The Wind Waker on Wii U, I'm willing to buy the console just for that.

One question I have for those who already own the game, is there an option included in the digital version to switch between English and Japanese language? I ordered the Asian disc-version as I wanna play it in both languages, but it's more expensive and I have to wait for at least 3 weeks before it gets here. If both languages are included on the digital version I think I'll just download it and get the Japanese disc version at a later date to add to my Okami collection. (Quadruple dip ^^)

Wind Waker HD would be a dream come true for me! As for the language, I believe it is based on your console's region.

Coldsnap

This game shames me to this day. I bought it on PS2 on release day and I played it for a few hours..really dug it too. I never went back though and haven't touched it since to this day. So sad.

Yea same. I thought the beginning was so slow and put it down.

Theonik

Dat price! I'm guessing Amazon won't be restocking.

Corrected, sweet. Do you know which places will be selling it?
I'm guessing Amazon is a safe bet to get the reprint. Also correction the re-print is in January.
Here is the source
Thanks for the info. I was close to buying a copy at these inflated prices.
I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk for 25 pounds. It's out of stock but they should update my order when the reprint hits. If not I'll order round January.

Hindle

Banned
Huge parts of this games could be sold as standalone and they would still be awesome. The part when you get shrunk comes to mind.

GeoramA

Downloading now. Went to Walmart to grab AC3, but GAF's impressions aren't exactly positive. So I ended up just getting a $20 PSN Card instead.

Pretty excited because I skipped this on PS2 in favor of other games at the time like Bully, Yakuza, and FFXII.

Eusis

Man, I hope Udon gets that reprinted in commemoration of the PS3 re-release. At worst it'd get the used prices down to a sane level due to more stock floating out there.

Ms. Tea

Also reminded me how much I'd love to see a HD remake of Zelda: The Wind Waker on Wii U, I'm willing to buy the console just for that.

You should try emulating it in Dolphin then! Unlike Okami it runs essentially perfectly emulated, complete with a fan-made HD HUD and 16:9 support. Can't find one of my 1080p screens, but here's a 720p screen someone else took.

JvuZa.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
You should try emulating it in Dolphin then! Unlike Okami it runs essentially perfectly emulated, complete with a fan-made HD HUD and 16:9 support. Can't find one of my 1080p screens, but here's a 720p screen someone else took.
I'm really hoping Nintendo ship a WW/TP HD Remaster disc for Wii U, it would be incredible.

As for Okami, reached 'Okami 3', 24hrs 40mins in, this final 'game' is the weakest, but I shall explore on.

MechaX

Ugh. Between Issun and Fi in Skyward Sword (which I actually played almost a year ago at this point), them just repeatedly giving away puzzles is going to drive me insane. It's been so long since I first played Okami that I don't even remember if Issun gets better about this.

StuBurns

Banned
Okami really has no puzzles, it's like self-evident tasks punctuating exploration.

'Okami 3' is not performing quite as well as the rest of the game, screentear is becoming more frequent, and the Ark environment really struggles, I might drop to 720p, see if that helps.

Danneee

Pervasive. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all in this game, and it almost always does, but that's me, it might also be the exception for you too, but who knows.

Alright, sounds good! Thanks for the answer. I'll be of buying this then!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
The artbook for Okami is amazing.

However, the binding is complete and utter shit. The pages are too heavy for the glue, or the glue is just a shit quality, and therefore hardly any will stay stuck to the binding glue for more than a couple days or so.

Luckily, the book has a strong thread running through it which still manages to keep the pages inside.

Be extremely careful with this book, guys.

I plan to start this soon, after I finally get around to finishing Skyward Sword.

I've only played Okami once, when it first came out on Wii, and I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite games of all time, right alongside the 3D Zeldas and the Souls games.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm on the
---Ark---
, almost done, and I've had a great time replaying it. It's a shame the back third of the game is notably weaker than the first two thirds. Although story wise, it does finally get kind of interesting in this third.

I never finished Twilight Princess, and I've wanted to play a Zelda for a while now, and I think Okami has pushed me to get on that very soon, can't wait.

Coconut

Banned
I'm on the
---Ark---
, almost done, and I've had a great time replaying it. It's a shame the back third of the game is notably weaker than the first two thirds. Although story wise, it does finally get kind of interesting in this third.

I never finished Twilight Princess, and I've wanted to play a Zelda for a while now, and I think Okami has pushed me to get on that very soon, can't wait.

I recommend just plying skyward sword.

StuBurns

Banned
I recommend just plying skyward sword.
I didn't like it, but TP specifically is more that I just never finished it, and I got pretty close, I've been meaning to play it again for years at this point. And I didn't stop because I wasn't enjoying it, I liked what I played more than WW actually, I just got stuck, then sidetracked with other stuff.

Top Bottom