• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

StuBurns

Banned
You know what doesn't tear? The freaking Wii version. I'm really disappointed that the IQ isn't perfect in this edition. I can't stand screen tearing, I'm super sensitive to it and it's the #1 reason I rarely game on consoles. What's worse is this is a freaking PS2 game that runs on the Wii of all things, failing miserably in my eyes on a console that's like 100 Wiis duct taped together. Maybe this'll be one of those games that randomly gets a PC release somewhere down the line. :-/

Sorry if this sounds bad or overly sensitive, I'm just really disappointed, I was really looking forward to a "perfect" version of Okami.

At 720p, the screentear is within the overscan from what I can tell, you should be able to remove it essentially.

And the Wii was much more powerful than the PS2.

Ein Bear

I'm usually pretty sensitive to screen tear, and haven't noticed a single torn frame the entire 6 hours I've been playing the game. Running in 1080p too :S

I just do not understand the concern with the screen tearing, but then it's never bothered me. I remember all the fuss about the first uncharted as well, and I could barely notice it. To anybody whos on the fence or who isnt going to play this absolutely stunning hd conversion on the basis of that alone... I dont know, man - I feel like you're gonna wake up one day and recognize that that's a pretty crazy reason not to enjoy something.

Coconut

Banned
I just do not understand the concern with the screen tearing, but then it's never bothered me. I remember all the fuss about the first uncharted as well, and I could barely notice it. To anybody whos on the fence or who isnt going to play this absolutely stunning hd conversion on the basis of that alone... I dont know, man - I feel like you're gonna wake up one day and recognize that that's a pretty crazy reason not to enjoy something.

Frame rate drops and screen tearing for me are usually jarring for awhile and eventually I will get used to them. But yeah I have noticed it for awhile now in my game I'm like 4 hours in. Truly HD is the way this game was meant to be played.

StuBurns

Banned
That's the real issue with the game, it is mad easy, almost unbelievably so. There was one fight I died on, but that was because I had issues trying to control the camera so I could see the big seed things they shot at me.

That's the real issue with the game, it is mad easy, almost unbelievably so. There was one fight I died on, but that was because I had issues trying to control the camera so I could see the big seed things they shot at me.

It's long enough with zero deaths, quit moaning :p

MechaX

True, but the game has one particular difficulty spike out of this world.

Specifically noting that Blockhead Grande encounter. On average, humans can remember things via short-tern memory at either + or - 5 things. Grande gives you like 9/10 different things to memorize so damn quickly, much less doing it in the proper order.

entremet

You know what doesn't tear? The freaking Wii version. I'm really disappointed that the IQ isn't perfect in this edition. I can't stand screen tearing, I'm super sensitive to it and it's the #1 reason I rarely game on consoles. What's worse is this is a freaking PS2 game that runs on the Wii of all things, failing miserably in my eyes on a console that's like 100 Wiis duct taped together. Maybe this'll be one of those games that randomly gets a PC release somewhere down the line. :-/

Sorry if this sounds bad or overly sensitive, I'm just really disappointed, I was really looking forward to a "perfect" version of Okami.

Where are you noticing the tearing? In the field?

Minamu

Welp, I'm stuck on the last wanted enemy on the first list. Must've been around the block three times during the night to no avail.

Minamu

Yep, cant find the fucker either. Though I think it may be the first one on the list for me.
I think it's the same one for me. I just meant that I've found four of them out of order. To gamefaqs it is then!

Edit:
Locations:
-> Just outside Mika's hut.
-> On the shore next to Tama's house.
-> Out front of the Nameless Man's house.
-> By the rock to the left of the entrance from Kamiki Village.
-> On the path between the Nameless Man's kiln and the catwalk statue.

Silvawuff

if you aint ever played it, PLAY IT. Its a long game, with alot of value. although im having trouble rationalizing buying all these games again in HD that ive already played.

I keep telling myself that, then I end up buying them anyway. This game is no exception, and I have no regrets about double dipping on it.

My bro actually won one of the codes from that ammy combo contest. Now we get to play one of greatest games of all time in HD for free, fuck yes.

Dartastic

Any footage of the screen tearing? I really can't stand it and only deal with it when I have to.
Don't worry about it. I've been playing in 1080p for the last three hours and haven't seen any. It's being blown out of proportion. The remake is STUNNING. This is how they should be done. I am so glad this game got proper care. This is the definitive version of the game. :)

...but I'd still rather play it on the Wii U.

quabba

Don't worry about it. I've been playing in 1080p for the last three hours and haven't seen any. It's being blown out of proportion. The remake is STUNNING. This is how they should be done. I am so glad this game got proper care. This is the definitive version of the game. :)

...but I'd still rather play it on the Wii U.

Same 5 hours no screen tear on 1080p

ryushe

I'm stuck between getting this from Play-asia and getting the physical copy for about $50 (Which I feel this HD remaster should've costed from the get go :p), or just wait until I get my $20 from spending $100 in October offer comes in so I can get the game for free... but then I really don't like going digital, especially for one of my favorite games ever.

I assume the trophies aren't universal and will be listed depending on region?

What a glorious HD remake. I've never been this impressed with an HD remaster apart from maybe MGS2/3

I thought the game would look good, but not THIS good.

Chesskid1

Banned
yeah this game is looking amazing.

i played it on the wii but stopped playing it at about 5-6 hours. playing on a regular ps3 controller, i'm enjoying it a bunch more. i like to constantly use the brush powers, and having to do it with motion controls was annoying, much better on a controller.

ill try to beat it this time, we'll see.

yeah this game is looking amazing.

i played it on the wii but stopped playing it at about 5-6 hours. playing on a regular ps3 controller, i'm enjoying it a bunch more. i like to constantly use the brush powers, and having to do it with motion controls was annoying, much better on a controller.

ill try to beat it this time, we'll see.

Yeah me too actually. I first played/completed Okami when it first came out on the Wii (I even imported a copy from the US because It looked incredible and my ps2 had broken by that point) and it instantly became one of my favourite games. However playing through it again in HD with an actual controller adds a whole new dynamic to the game. The combat flows so much better with a ps3 pad, as you can just quickly tap the R1 button and swipe across the screen without having to actually point at the screen, making it feel like two separate actions. It's just simply more fluid and satisfying.

Just wish that skippable text was actually skippable during some of the longer cutscenes, and a couple of new features/weapons would have been nice.

But as far as HD remasters go, I've never experienced a replay of a game to be so different and better in every way. Both visually and in terms of gameplay.

Thank you based Okami.

StuBurns

Banned
I would like to see it aswel, playing in 1080p now, no screen tearing.
There is screen tear at 1080p, maybe you don't notice it, or it's not irritating, but it does happen. Outside of the River of the Heavens, it's been so infrequent and minor that I don't think it'd bother almost anyone. Saying that, I don't think anyone here has finished it yet, for all I know, the last ten hours are a constant tearing mess, there must be something about RotH that causes the major performance hitches, and that could occur elsewhere.
But as far as HD remasters go, I've never experienced a replay of a game to be so different and better in every way. Both visually and in terms of gameplay.

Thank you based Okami.
It only plays better because you played the port that plays worse. The visuals are improved, the gameplay isn't at all. Actually, the original aspect ratio was a little nicer for the combat instances, a lot of enemies who fly/float are a little more difficult to track I think.

tengiants

I'm playing at 1080p and not noticing any screen tearing. I'm only a couple hours in though.

Is anyone else completely peeved by the motion controls? Not being able control the camera with my right hand is really killing my ability to enjoy this. I played both the PS2 and Wii versions and didn't really struggle with the controls like I am with the Move. I dunno if it's just the proximity to the TV but it seems I am unable to draw a straight line with my arm and only hit my strokes about 50% of the time. I think I'm going to have to switch to dual shock.

Kinda bummed cause I really wanted to enjoy the Move at least once since it was given to me.

Audioboxer

I'm playing at 1080p and not noticing any screen tearing. I'm only a couple hours in though.

Is anyone else completely peeved by the motion controls? Not being able control the camera with my right hand is really killing my ability to enjoy this. I played both the PS2 and Wii versions and didn't really struggle with the controls like I am with the Move. I dunno if it's just the proximity to the TV but it seems I am unable to draw a straight line with my arm and only hit my strokes about 50% of the time. I think I'm going to have to switch to dual shock.

Kinda bummed cause I really wanted to enjoy the Move at least once since it was given to me.

Unfortunately no matter what you do this is simply always going to be an enjoy on DS3 more title.

Yeah I'm at the River of Heavens and haven't noticed any screen tearing at all. Playing in 1080p and I'm looking for it and I'm not seeing it. I guess its not pronounced as something like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted: Drake's Fortune? Either way, whoever was having a fit over this should chill out.

This game is so beautiful. Puts so many next gen games to shame. To think they were initially pitching a more realistic look at the beginning. Glad they went cel-shaded.

Ms. Tea

I already got the Wii and PS2-version of this but I'm not sure if I should play it through PCSX2, Dolphin or just get the HD-version.

Both PCSX2 (with hardware-accelerated graphics) and Dolphin are missing the game's postprocessing effects, which is a big part of its look.

RPGCrazied

I'm sure the death one is if you lose all of your sun orbs(your health) in battle. Which is hard to do, maybe the final boss.

Top Bottom