• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

Chesskid1

Banned
just got to the tsuti ruins, officially the furthest ive ever gotten in okami. w00t.

i thought this game was impressive on the wii, but it was just so muddled. it really shines now, i never really was awestruck in my last try playing it in SD, now i'm eager to see the next area.

lantus

Well, I started downloading this at 5 today, it is now 10. I'm only 60% done downloading. I don't know wtf is wrong, but it just seems to be this download, otherwise PSN has been working fine for me. :/

Theonik

So is this indeed 1080p native?
1080p 4xSSAA, effectively rendered at 4k.
Edit: Pretty impressive actually considering I was giving them shit over the lack of AA and 720p when it was first announced. Also the early filter no filter debates and asking for an option for it. They really did deliver with this HARD.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, I started downloading this at 5 today, it is now 10. I'm only 60% done downloading. I don't know wtf is wrong, but it just seems to be this download, otherwise PSN has been working fine for me. :/
Have you tried pausing/resuming? Often helps me greatly.

Think I'll grab this when I'm home this winter as that's where my PS3 is, even though I've beaten it on PS2 and Wii and have a considerable amount of playtime for it on my PS3 as well. The perfect game to replay during the holidays, it's just so fun.

This game is beautiful. They've done the game justice aside from the screentearing but even that isn't a big deal. It's not bad at all. Man, the art... so good. As well as the audio minus the voices.

RedSwirl

Yes, it looks incredible.

Damn.

1080p 4xSSAA, effectively rendered at 4k.
Edit: Pretty impressive actually considering I was giving them shit over the lack of AA and 720p when it was first announced. Also the early filter no filter debates and asking for an option for it. They really did deliver with this HARD.

Bullshit. And the game actually maintains 30fps like this?

Ugh.. I spent three days downloading this game, I went to install this and it said it was a corrupted install file that needed to be re-downloaded.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Game looks amazing on my Kuro. I noticed some early tearing where others did, but not really any since then.

Shinjiru

This game shames me to this day. I bought it on PS2 on release day and I played it for a few hours..really dug it too. I never went back though and haven't touched it since to this day. So sad.
I also bought a PS2 copy that I played once, for about 30 minutes, and never got back around to. I downloaded Okami HD tonight and I'm looking forward to finally playing it.

ubercheez

Just got going on this last night. Man, what a gorgeous game. Very happy that this got the HD treatment and absolutely worth the double dip.

Didn't have a whole lot of time to give it, but I still couldn't bear to quit until I'd gotten Bloom and fixed Shinshu Plains. That feeling when you rejuvenate a major area is really pretty intense.

Coconut

Banned
Just got going on this last night. Man, what a gorgeous game. Very happy that this got the HD treatment and absolutely worth the double dip.

Didn't have a whole lot of time to give it, but I still couldn't bear to quit until I'd gotten Bloom and fixed Shinshu Plains. That feeling when you rejuvenate a major area is really pretty intense.
That's a testament to how well paced the game is each quest leads so well to the next.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Replaying the game again makes you wonder...

...where the fuck are people getting Amaterasu's "real form" is a maiden?! They're misinterpreting what the monk said!

Replaying the game again makes you wonder...

...where the fuck are people getting Amaterasu's "real form" is a maiden?! They're misinterpreting what the monk said!
Because the real Amaterasu isn't a wolf in mythology and the monk reinforces this. What are people misinterpreting? Being a wolf is her form in the human world.

Boss Doggie

Because the real Amaterasu isn't a wolf in mythology and the monk reinforces this. What are people misinterpreting? Being a wolf is her form in the human world.

She isn't a wolf in the Japanese mythology yes... but at the same time this game isn't 100% true to that mythology. I mean, the Izas aren't gods here :p

The monk was simply complimenting her, much like how you'd allude something inanimate like a woman if it's good (i.e. this car is like a beautiful woman).

She isn't a wolf in the Japanese mythology yes... but at the same time this game isn't 100% true to that mythology. I mean, the Izas aren't gods here :p

The monk was simply complimenting her, much like how you'd allude something inanimate like a woman if it's good (i.e. this car is like a beautiful woman).
Of course, but there are equally parts of the game that do ring true with mythology.

I don't really see it as just as compliment. He's blind and spiritual, it's not that far-fetched that he can see through a guise like this. I think I've seen other material do this kind of thing, though I can't really recall any off the top of my head.

Either way, does it really matter if she isn't a wolf all the time or not? Personally I don't think it does, the game is about her adventures in the human world. It's just another nod to mythology in a game full of nods.

Boss Doggie

I'm also basing it on the representation of the game really. Her "true" form would have made a slight nod as a painting, but we all see her wolf form. Typical Japanese kami have at least a presentation in painting on their true forms.

And it doesn't matter in the long run, I just find it annoying people kept spouting her "one true form".

Honestly, if her true form looked like
those stupid cherubs in the final dungeon
, I'd say keep her wolf form.

Foshy

Playing Okami for the first time, about 2.5 hours in. Finished Hama Valley and am back to Shinshu Field.

I'm enjoying it (Susano in particular is hilarious), but the handholding is pretty extreme. Does it get better?

Coconut

Banned
Isn't the word okami a play on words as well relating to the word wolf? Also this very a disneyfied revision of these characters. Lots of incest and food being pulled from buttholes and people being expelled from heaven. Shit be cray.

ubercheez

Playing Okami for the first time, about 2.5 hours in. Finished Hama Valley and am back to Shinshu Field.

I'm enjoying it (Susano in particular is hilarious), but the handholding is pretty extreme. Does it get better?

It's not meant to be a puzzle-solving game at its core, but the blatant hints do ease up later in the game, if I recall correctly.

Isn't the word okami a play on words as well relating to the word wolf?

Yeah, the kanji for the game are "Ō" (great) and "kami" (god), but when you say them together, it sounds like Okami (wolf).

Foshy

It's not meant to be a puzzle-solving game at its core, but the blatant hints do ease up later in the game, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, I'm ok with this, I didn't expect the game to be that. The huge arrows acting as a GPS and blatant explanations of already obvious puzzles seemed like a bit too much babysitting to me though.

StuBurns

Banned
The arrows aren't frequent. Later, the game really does leave you to explore areas to stumble on the next step forward.

EDIT: Finished it earlier by the way, 33 hours, 'Okami 3' is certainly weak compared to the first two thirds. Although the story does finally get interesting.

Coconut

Banned

Yeah, the kanji for the game are "Ō" (great) and "kami" (god), but when you say them together, it sounds like Okami (wolf).

I'm thankful they don't do to much puzzle solving in the game it detracts from the explorative nature of the game. It helps with making it a not Zelda, Zelda game.

lantus

So I've been playing for a few hours now and it's also my first time with the game. Love it! It reminds me a lot of Wind Waker with the music and the way characters animate. This is funnier than I was expecting too, there's a lot of charm to everything in the game. :)

seriously - how many current console releases (at 3 times the price) look/sound/play as good or better than this one? :) ...

so what if you already played them years ago? imo, the best of the hd stuff (mgs, ico/sotc, dmc) easily equals or surpasses most of what's been released this gen, quality/fun-wise...

androidcandy

Neo Member
This is one of my all time favorite games. I really need to pick this up and play through it again. I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS2; really glad to see the game getting some new attention. It's an absolutely gorgeous game and the sound track is amazing!

Gadirok

This is my first time playing okami and I was limited on time. But as soon as I finally got to move around the tree I had to turn it off. Is there anyway to save the game? Or are there set save points?

I really don't want to go through the intro again. It was kinda long.

seriously - how many current console releases (at 3 times the price) look/sound/play as good or better than this one? :) ...

so what if you already played them years ago? imo, the best of the hd stuff (mgs, ico/sotc, dmc) easily equals or surpasses most of what's been released this gen, quality/fun-wise...

Yes! I've bought as many HD remakes as I have new games this year.

This is my first time playing okami and I was limited on time. But as soon as I finally got to move around the tree I had to turn it off. Is there anyway to save the game? Or are there set save points?

Yes, there's like a little pedestal that can be found quite regularly.

Deadstar

There are set save points. It looks like a glowing circle with a stone slab next to it. There is one in the beginning of the game and also in the first village near the giant rock.

This game is absolutely incredible. I'm having a ton of fun. There is so much style in this game. I can't wait to see what this team does next gen.

There are set save points. It looks like a glowing circle with a stone slab next to it. There is one in the beginning of the game and also in the first village near the giant rock.

This game is absolutely incredible. I'm having a ton of fun. There is so much style in this game. I can't wait to see what this team does next gen.

clover studio closed in 2006. but there's always platinum :) ...

okno

Bought this last night just to support the devs. I played this on PS2 and never beat it, because I just got bored 20 hours in. I still remembered that boredom so well, and was nervous I wasn't going to have fun playing it, but three hours later I can't tear myself away! I know exactly what is going to happen, but I just can't stop! Absolutely worth the money, so glad I bought it.

ubercheez

You were just about to encounter the first save point. 'Fraid you'll have to endure the intro again. :|

Coconut

Banned
Bought this last night just to support the devs. I played this on PS2 and never beat it, because I just got bored 20 hours in. I still remembered that boredom so well, and was nervous I wasn't going to have fun playing it, but three hours later I can't tear myself away! I know exactly what is going to happen, but I just can't stop! Absolutely worth the money, so glad I bought it.

If you wanted to support the devs you are little too late.

Het_Nkik

If you wanted to support the devs you are little too late.

Ah, that's right, touché. Guess what I really mean is to support endeavors such as these.

Well you should still be supporting HexaDrive, who handled the port. Between this and Rez they seem to be one of the few developers who are extremely competent at the whole HD port thing. Hopefully they'll be used more often.

rvy

Banned
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is this a Wii port or a PS2 port? Has anyone seen the credits?

Het_Nkik

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is this a Wii port or a PS2 port? Has anyone seen the credits?

PS2 port. Credits are supposed to be in. Credits were actually in the Wii version in Japan, we just got shafted in the western world.

Top Bottom