• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You can get one of the supposed difficult trophies as early as the first normal fight.

lol the only thing that will trouble you is the beads, really.

Animekatt

Credit from MookietheBold over at Gamefaqs: To earn a cherry tree ranking at the end of the game you must get...

4 or less Game Over and Continues.
550 Enemies or more defeated.
4 Million or more yen (YES you can spend it, they count the TOTAL amount).
300 or more demon fangs (YES you can spend these)
4500 or more Praise (You can spend it)

54-46!

I love this game, spent around 60 hours playing it but only got 99.99% completion at the end because I didn't feed that one dog..

It's a shame that the action wasn't harder though, could've used some of Kamiya's deeper fighting systems.

StuBurns

Banned
It's a shame that the action wasn't harder though, could've used some of Kamiya's deeper fighting systems.
There's actually a lot of flexibility in the combat, and you can do some crazy shit. Once you have the dodge countering ability, you can easily top out the 99 combo meter for example, the game is just very easy, so it's never put to good use, but the depth is there I think.

Eusis

There's actually a lot of flexibility in the combat, and you can do some crazy shit. Once you have the dodge countering ability, you can easily top out the 99 combo meter for example, the game is just very easy, so it's never put to good use, but the depth is there I think.
Yeah, I guess it would show. But to me it tends to be detrimental to these games if they're too hard, or at least not hard in a way where it's quick and decisive. Darksiders was basically the God of War equivalent, and it was just frustrating and tiresome to beat up enemies over and over and getting stuck as a result of the elephantitis of HP. Maybe there's some trick I was overlooking that would've made it go smoother, but it'd probably still take too damn long. Getting into those situations a lot while exploring in Okami (where it IS better) would be maddening.

Platinum get! That was a very fun ride even if it was not the first time I experienced it. One of the best HD-remakes ever done too.
I can now shift my focus on another game ^^

Boss Doggie

Hahahahah, this game made me go out of the way and do floral finishers. Back then I was satisfied with getting fangs from loading screens lol

Mikey Jr.

Hahahahah, this game made me go out of the way and do floral finishers. Back then I was satisfied with getting fangs from loading screens lol

The lack of loading fangs really sucks. Then again, the loading screens usually go by really quickly anyways.

If I remember correctly, the only missable here is some praise you get by feeding a dog
in the past
, which isn't gonna be recorded anyway.

Boss Doggie

Even then, 100% the animal tome doesn't require you to feed all animals, just meet all species at least once.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

I've been doing this a lot, though I've only seem to be getting fangs from the Imp-type enemies. Whenever I leave the last hit for a power slash after the death of other enemies, I don't get fangs from them.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how it's meant to be?

Boss Doggie

I've been doing this a lot, though I've only seem to be getting fangs from the Imp-type enemies. Whenever I leave the last hit for a power slash after the death of other enemies, I don't get fangs from them.

Am I doing something wrong or is this how it's meant to be?

Slash is only applicable to mooks. Certain enemies have their own floral finisher (e.g. bloom on that flower demon thingie).

RPGCrazied

God, how I forgot how much of a pain the blockhead on Oni island is. I had to use my 3DS XL to record a video to get those points. ;/

I'm 30 hours in the last area, in the last dungeon before the end. I wish we could get an Okami 2, no Okimaden don't count. I want PS3/360 visuals!

ubercheez

So what's the "right way" to fight the flying fish so they don't latch onto me and explode once they're under 1/4 health?

Carlisle

If you die can you quit or load from previous save without it counting? Or does the game count it against the endgame cherry tree right away?

Mesoian

It's really awesome. Very much worth playing.

I thought it was terrible. The DS just isn't up to the task with that game. It feels like it was a game they started making for the Wii, then decided to shift production to the DS halfway through, which resulted in taking a 3D game and busting it down as much as possible to get it to run somewhat well on the lesser hardware. The result is a truly ugly game that controls terribly.

Coconut

Banned
I thought it was terrible. The DS just isn't up to the task with that game. It feels like it was a game they started making for the Wii, then decided to shift production to the DS halfway through, which resulted in taking a 3D game and busting it down as much as possible to get it to run somewhat well on the lesser hardware. The result is a truly ugly game that controls terribly.

It controls wonderfully specifically the drawing stuff. And I think for a DS game it's incredibly impressive. I don't think the game was ever meant to be on the wii by the time that game would have gone into production it was clear 3rd parties didn't sell well on the system. If anything capcom saw the huge success of LZ: The Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks and saw it as a potential to reinvigorate a very well loved cult game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I guess my main problem is that, like alot of sequels handled by different staff, it felt like it was trying to replicate the look and feel of the first game, rather than iterate or expand upon it.

So I didn't find it very interesting.

Izick

It would be a fucking crime against gaming if Okami HD didn't come out for the Wii U. I'm not trying to port-beg, but after seeing how beautiful it is on the PS3/360 (which version is better?) I would love for this game to finally have controls over the calligraphy that it deserves.

Okami on the PS2 is still one of my favorite games ever. Probably my second favorite PS2 game, only behind my favorite game of all time, MGS 2.

Kyon

Banned
Stu they probably didnt hurt you because you had max Godhood which makes you invincible for a bit lol

RPGCrazied

Beat with 35 hours. 71% trophies. I was so close on the Cherry Tree one. I only needed 100 or more praise, and 50 or so demon fangs. Though I only had 3 million yen. And can I just say I really hate the kai race. Ugh.

Bucca

Is there a list or guide around with all the floral finishers for each type of enemy?

Mikey Jr.

What does slashing an enemy scroll before entering battle do? Anything?

Also, I could not resist drawing a penis on the mask that you wear. I just couldn't....

Bucca

What does slashing an enemy scroll before entering battle do? Anything?

I think all slashing a scroll does is "stun" it so it won't chase you in the overworld. Although the really cheap Peace Bell keeps them from doing that anyway.

Koroviev

Kind of torn between this and Vanquish (related by virtue of also being $20, lol). Which one deserves my attention first?

Boss Doggie

So "skippable text" is a lie then, since the "skippable" part is skippable in the original game.

Top Bottom