• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

SuperSah

Banned
Moon temple surely looks like a cave if you ask me, a huge cave to boot. (><)
How far is it from the end? I being to feel that a game drags a lil. I probably should concentrate on finishing a game already, no way I'll find all beads or treasures anyway.

Moon Temple? If I remember, you're still far off.

This is the best game i've ever played guys.

Vice

Is this considered the definitive edition of the game? My girlfriend wants to play it so I want to know if I should just let her borrow my Wii or PS2 copy or just go ahead and buy this one.

Arthea

I remember it taking a while to beat.

http://uk.ign.com/faqs/2007/okami-walkthrough-736716

Guide also shows you're a bit away. Try your best to enjoy it, it's a masterpiece.

I'll try, thanks

Is this considered the definitive edition of the game? My girlfriend wants to play it so I want to know if I should just let her borrow my Wii or PS2 copy or just go ahead and buy this one.

HD version looks great, I would consider it definitive, yes

Z..

Today marked the 5th time I've attempted to start playing this game... and the 5th time I've failed. I can never get past the opening, I just quit 10 mins in... way too long and the story is completely uninteresting. I know the gameplay will redeem everything else, but it just takes way too long to get started. Feels longer than a Béla Tarr movie.

Coconut

Banned
Today marked the 5th time I've attempted to start playing this game... and the 5th time I've failed. I can never get past the opening, I just quit 10 mins in... way too long and the story is completely uninteresting. I know the gameplay will redeem everything else, but it just takes way too long to get started. Feels longer than a Béla Tarr movie.
How do you know its way too long? you quit 10 minutes into it.

Z..

Way too long. How do you know you quit 10 minutes into it?

I assume you left the "if" out. The 10 minutes alone are way too much, regardless of how little or long there is after them, so that's how I know. I have absolutely no patience for these formulaic video game stories, especially when they insist upon themselves so much.

I know the game will be great once I get through the opening, but it's just too generic to bear for such a long amount of time. =S Plus, the damn voices get annoying very very fast.

GeekyDad

How do you know its way too long? you quit 10 minutes into it.

To me, that's the barometer, really. If you find the opening boring, move on. The gameplay is excellent, but it's weaved tightly to the mythology, and if you have no interest in that, I doubt Okami is for you.

I say to the above poster, move on. Call of Duty awaits your presence. ;)

Roto13

I assume you left the "if" out. The 10 minutes alone are way too much, regardless of how little or long there is after them, so that's how I know. I have absolutely no patience for these formulaic video game stories, especially when they insist upon themselves so much.

I know the game will be great once I get through the opening, but it's just too generic to bear for such a long amount of time. =S Plus, the damn voices get annoying very very fast.

If 10 minutes is too long for you, you must not be able to play many video games.

Z..

To me, that's the barometer, really. If you find the opening boring, move on. The gameplay is excellent, but it's weaved tightly to the mythology, and if you have no interest in that, I doubt Okami is for you.

C'mon, "the mythology"... it's the same type of formulaic plot that the Zelda series has been churning out for the last 20 years. It has no worth beyond providing padding.

It's always easier to assume I'm a CoD drone, right? It's the other way around, actually... I enjoy the mythology when it deserves to be enjoyed... something unique, different and poignant like SotC, Dear Esther or Journey. But these generic action adventure plots are just incredibly uninteresting to me. Which is usually fine as they tend to be unintrusive, but Okami's the exception to the rule, at least in the opening.

Don't worry, I won't give up on it and I'm sure I'll love it once I get through the opening... I just have very low tolerance for formulaic narratives.

If 10 minutes is too long for you, you must not be able to play many video games.

Well, me and a couple of friends just did a full marathon of Tarkovsky's work 4 days ago, so I wouldn't say the length is the problem... the inaneness of the content is. Kamiya is one of the worst people in the industry, as far as story/plot are concerned... Good thing he's absolutely brilliant at everything else, though. :D

Coconut

Banned

No I wrote what I meant. There is nothing generic about that beginning. If you know it'll be good then just sit back and go along for the ride. Seems ridiculous to deprive yourself of something you know is going to be good.

Since when is the description of an epic battle between mighty gods over good and evil generic?

In all honesty, I enjoy your elitist take on this situation.

Z..

No I wrote what I meant. There is nothing generic about that beginning. If you know it'll be good then just sit back and go along for the ride. Seems ridiculous to deprive yourself of something you know is going to be good.

Nothing generic about it? C'mon... surely you can't be serious.
I'm not depriving myself of it, I just haven't been able to endure the opening yet, I'm always "forced" to give up on it out of shear boredom. =D

Z..

How the hell is the plot like Zelda?

The type of plot is exactly the same. The ever popular ancient demon who comes back and the hero of old that is once again forced to intervene and save everyone. Am I wrong? Everything about it screams generic and uninventive.

I know it's always like this and it's usually easy to bear these formulaic narratives as they tend to be unintrusive and the focus is more often than not on the gameplay... but that's not the case here, and so I've been having some problems getting past the opening. It can't hold my interest for more than 30 seconds, it feels like an episode of How I Met Your Mother, I've seen it all before and while it may be tolerable in short bursts it becomes incredibly annoying when you have to sit through it. Mind numbind... =S

Edit:

Oooops, double post... =/

Coconut

Banned
Nothing generic about it? C'mon... surely you can't be serious.
I'm not depriving myself of it, I just haven't been able to endure the opening yet, I'm always "forced" to give up on it out of shear boredom. =D

I will no longer engage with someone who hasn't played the game telling me about what the plot of OKAMI is or isn't.

Roto13

The type of plot is exactly the same. The ever popular ancient demon who comes back and the hero of old that is once again forced to intervene and save everyone. Am I wrong? Everything about it screams generic and uninventive.

I know it's always like this and it's usually easy to bear these formulaic narratives as they tend to be unintrusive and the focus is more often than not on the gameplay... but that's not the case here, and so I've been having some problems getting past the opening. It can't hold my interest for more than 30 seconds, it feels like an episode of How I Met Your Mother, I've seen it all before and while it may be tolerable in short bursts it becomes incredibly annoying when you have to sit through it. Mind numbind... =S

Edit:

Oooops, double post... =/

Okami and Zelda are about reincarnated heroes and ancient evil the same way BioShock and Kid Icarus Uprising are about travelling to world below sea level and killing the leader there.

Z..

Okami and Zelda are about reincarnated heroes and ancient evil the same way BioShock and Kid Icarus Uprising are about travelling to world below sea level and killing the leader there.

This isn't Faulkner, it's entertainment. They're not about anything other than keeping your mind busy.

Coconut

Banned
This isn't Faulkner, it's entertainment. They're not about anything other than keeping your mind busy.

So then why does it matter to you if the story is the same as anything else. One could argue that all a video game really are is different way to make pressing buttons interesting.

GeekyDad

In all honesty, I enjoy your elitist take on this situation.

Ha, ha! It's not elitist, though the CoD remark was, admittedly, a jab. I was being forthright. And the poster is way off in saying there is no mythology. He/she obviously isn't at all familiar with the mythology Okami invokes, but it's glorious in how it plays out within the game. But again, if he/she was bored by the first 10 minutes, it is a good indication the game isn't for you because most of the game is about uncovering those morsels of mythology by way of the gameplay itself. If that doesn't interest you, why put yourself through it?

Okami is probably one of my two favorite games of all time, and it ranks right up there with Demon's Souls in terms of quality. But there's a reason it didn't sell well. It's an acquired taste. Perhaps your tastes will change, but the Zelda comparison couldn't be more paper thin and obvious. You're gonna have to go a lot further in than 10 minutes to see how ridiculous that comparison is.

Z..

Ha, ha! It's not elitist, though the CoD remark was, admittedly, a jab. I was being forthright. And the poster is way off in saying there is no mythology. He/she obviously isn't at all familiar with the mythology Okami invokes, but it's glorious in how it plays out within the game. But again, if he/she was bored by the first 10 minutes, it is a good indication the game isn't for you because most of the game is about uncovering those morsels of mythology by way of the gameplay itself. If that doesn't interest you, why put yourself through it?

Okami is probably one of my two favorite games of all time, and it ranks right up there with Demon's Souls in terms of quality. But there's a reason it didn't sell well. It's an acquired taste. Perhaps your tastes will change, but the Zelda comparison couldn't be more paper thin and obvious. You're gonna have to go a lot further in than 10 minutes to see how ridiculous that comparison is.

I expect you'll be right in the long run. I'm pretty sure I'll love it (Demon's Souls über fan, here, although I'm sure they're completely different beasts), I'm just having some trouble getting started.

The mythology in the Souls games is a great example of how I feel games should be made... subtle but deep, and always relying on gameplay as it's main form of exposition. I don't like cutscenes.

jett

D-Member
I bought it recently when it was on sale for 9.99, couldn't resist at that price.

This game is mind-boggingly gorgeous, I cannot believe what Hexadrive has done. Fucking 4K downsampled to 1080p? It looks astounding. A technical accomplishment and one of the best looking games on the PS3 despite its PS2 origins.

I think I'm actually like it more now than I did back when I originally played the game.

Alucrid

Banned
I bought it recently when it was on sale for 9.99, couldn't resist at that price.

This game is mind-boggingly gorgeous, I cannot believe what Hexadrive has done. Fucking 4K downsampled to 1080p? It looks astounding. A technical accomplishment and one of the best looking games on the PS3 despite its PS2 origins.

I think I'm actually like it more now than I did back when I originally played the game.

Honestly I think this is the best looking game I've played last gen and current gen so far. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous.

Also that guy throwing the game under the bus after ten minutes is fucking hilarious. Phony intellectualism at its best and those similies are icing on the cake.

televator

This game was definitely a worthy import.

Whaaaaaaaa...? is there an interview where they say this?

Bishop89

Just started okami hd. Tried the game on the ps2 when it originally came out but didn't give it much of a chance, mainly because of its extremely slow start.. Anyways got passed the exhausting intro and just doing some of the basics, is the game supposed to look somewhat blurry? :/

vladdamad

Got this during the sale, great game so far, super gorgeous as well. I'm currently at the bit where
you're trying to help Princess Fuse by finding the dogs
. With all the Zelda comparisons being thrown around I was expecting there to be a big focus on dungeons - maybe the game will change, but so far the game seems to be borrowing the sense of exploration from the franchise more than the dungeon structure, and it does so very, very well.

Roto13

Got this during the sale, great game so far, super gorgeous as well. I'm currently at the bit where
you're trying to help Princess Fuse by finding the dogs
. With all the Zelda comparisons being thrown around I was expecting there to be a big focus on dungeons - maybe the game will change, but so far the game seems to be borrowing the sense of exploration from the franchise more than the dungeon structure, and it does so very, very well.

Honestly, people only compare it to Zelda because there are so few legit action adventure games besides Zelda.

So after trying and failing to finish this game twice (once on PS2 and once on Wii), I'm determined to get to the end of this version.

About 6 hours in.

Fuck these moles.

Loved this game on PS2, wanna try the HD version, I want a physical copy though. Does the Japanese version have English menus and subtitles?

Blader

I had completely forgotten that this game existed until just recently. Okami was one of my favorite games of its gen, and I was strongly considering downloading this and playing it all over again before making the jump to PS4 next year. Since my PS3 has BC included, I decided to pop in my old PS2 disc, just to see if the older version of the game holds up... and damn, this game still looks really good! It's in fullscreen, sure, but the visuals are as smooth and pretty as I remember them.

Compare that to PS2 Shadow of the Colossus, which I also tried out on my PS3 the other day, and it looked like total ass.

Aspect ratios aside, is the visual upgrade from Okami PS2 to Okami HD still worth the price? Wondering if I should just stick with my PS2 disc for a replay instead of buying the game again.

Labadal

I had completely forgotten that this game existed until just recently. Okami was one of my favorite games of its gen, and I was strongly considering downloading this and playing it all over again before making the jump to PS4 next year. Since my PS3 has BC included, I decided to pop in my old PS2 disc, just to see if the older version of the game holds up... and damn, this game still looks really good! It's in fullscreen, sure, but the visuals are as smooth and pretty as I remember them.

Compare that to PS2 Shadow of the Colossus, which I also tried out on my PS3 the other day, and it looked like total ass.

Aspect ratios aside, is the visual upgrade from Okami PS2 to Okami HD still worth the price? Wondering if I should just stick with my PS2 disc for a replay instead of buying the game again.
I feel that the PS3 version was a great upgrade and one of the better HD ports out there.

I just wanted to say that I got the platinum trophy a few days ago. I had finished the game a few years ago on the Wii but I liked it even more this time...

Dem graphics. Dat ending. DAT SOUNDTRACK! I got absolutely everything and took my time soaking it all in (took 80 hours). What a wonderful game!

i'm having trouble with a side quest, the kimono drawing one, the girl whose thought bubble that shows what pattern to draw doesnt show any new pictures even after i successfully drew the star and got praise for it :/ She is meant to sshow a heat symbol, but she isnt

got by it, seems if you dont do the star 'proper' but it still counts you are required to do it a second time and it skips the heart symbol and goes straight to the V

ubiblu

There are no words for how pissed off I am about missing the fire doom mirror on a platinum run. I skimmed all the missable trophy descriptions but somehow completely read over this. FML. Now I have to waste at least 3 hours of my life just for the damn trophy.

wmlk

Alright, two questions here. I love the game and it's my favourite game of all time. I initially wanted to get &#332;kami HD but I didn't want to support Capcom for what they did to Clover, and also for getting rid of their logo and getting rid of Reset by Ayaka Hirahara to finish the game off.

I might cave in, though. Kamiya actively supports the HD version on Twitter and I like seeing that. I just have a few questions.

1. I heard the game was actually rendered at 4K and downsampled to 1080p. Is this true?

2. I heard that Reset is in the game if you play with the Japanese language option. I'm not too familiar with how this works. How can you get Reset to play during the credits like the vanilla PS2 release?

Thanks. :)

Turrican3

Guys, I'm looking for a savegame for the Japanese, disc-based version of Okami HD.

I've heard (a confirmation would be nice...) that you can skip cutscenes only when you have completed the game at least once, and since I've already beaten Okami on the Wii (and did 80% on the PS2) I really, really do NOT want to stare at the screen while the story unfolds.

So I basically need a newgame+ savegame.

Any help would be appreciated. ^_^

Top Bottom