• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

dan2026

Hate to sound kinda negative, but does this game get better the further you go into it?
I have just beaten that handsome swordsman guy (waka) and its feel kind of mediocre.

The combat has zero challenge. All I am doing is basically running round drawing circles round trees. I feel like I am sleep walking through the game.

I have to be missing something, surely.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Hate to sound kinda negative, but does this game get better the further you go into it?
I have just beaten that handsome swordsman guy (waka) and its feel kind of mediocre.

The combat has zero challenge. All I am doing is basically running round drawing circles round trees. I feel like I am sleep walking through the game.

You're literally 1/20th through the game...if that.

The combat never particularly ramps up, you get more abilities and whatnot, but the actual challenge is very low throughout; so if that's what you're looking for you'll probably be disappointed.

I'm definitely glad I bought this... but I have to admit I've stopped playing it. I just find it demoralizing knowing that I'll for sure never have the willpower to finish it. I guess I also feel like the combat, for how much it's represented in the game, is just too simplistic and easy. Between that and the overly expository dialogue, the "voice" work, and the puzzle solutions being handed to you pretty consistently, I don't know if I'll ever return to it.

I love it - but really more the idea of it. Do I have my head up my ass? Should I stick with it a bit more?

MechaX

I'm definitely glad I bought this... but I have to admit I've stopped playing it. I just find it demoralizing knowing that I'll for sure never have the willpower to finish it. I guess I also feel like the combat, for how much it's represented in the game, is just too simplistic and easy. Between that and the overly expository dialogue, the "voice" work, and the puzzle solutions being handed to you pretty consistently, I don't know if I'll ever return to it.

I love it - but really more the idea of it. Do I have my head up my ass? Should I stick with it a bit more?

The beginning of the game is a real slow burn. A really slow burn.

Once you start getting newer divine instruments, things start opening up a lot more (cannot button mash on enemies, Issun stops dropping hints almost entirely, more areas to explore, story starts to ramp up a bit, more brush techniques with actual exploration purposes, etc).

The beginning of the game is a real slow burn. A really slow burn.

Once you start getting newer divine instruments, things start opening up a lot more (cannot button mash on enemies, Issun stops dropping hints almost entirely, more areas to explore, story starts to ramp up a bit, more brush techniques with actual exploration purposes, etc).

It's funny because i own the PS2 original as well, and while I got way further into it, i still stopped eventually. I guess I forgot that things start substantially changing - ok, I'll keep it up, thanks for the input. Real pacing flaw though - I don't think most players would stick with it through this.

It's funny because i own the PS2 original as well, and while I got way further into it, i still stopped eventually. I guess I forgot that things start substantially changing - ok, I'll keep it up, thanks for the input. Real pacing flaw though - I don't think most players would stick with it through this.

many didn't :) . okami's always been more a cult hit than a smash hit. loving the experience has little to do with loving what makes popular games popular, & more to do with getting sucked into it's 'ambiance', & just going for the ride. me, i just finished replaying it, & really enjoyed it. stunning graphics, amazingly good music, some great humor, & some very memorable characters...

'flawed masterpiece' would be my final verdict - a game where the whole easily outweighs the sum of the parts...

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I played the game with about 1 year break in between. I enjoyed it immensely, just too much of it.

Roto13

I forgot how much I love this game. Or maybe I just love it more in HD with better controls for battling. (I played the Wii version. I miss the pointer, though.)

Kisaya

So I lost cable/internet again at home, but luckily I had downloaded the game earlier. Finally picked up on playing it.

My gosh this game is so much fun >3< It's literally stunning as well. I haven't sat down and played a game in a long time, so I'm glad this was my first in a while.

I'm not sure if I'm close to the end or not.
I'm at the Moon Cave now and just finished gathering all the ingredients for the appetizer.
Feels like there's a lot more (or should be a lot more) left. Maybe I'm just used to long RPGs... >.<

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm at the Moon Cave now and just finished gathering all the ingredients for the appetizer.
Feels like there's a lot more (or should be a lot more) left. Maybe I'm just used to long RPGs... >.<

That's just arc 1 of 3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Saw the game this weekend and was surprised to find that it runs at 1080p. This game really benefits greatly from the higher resolution.

I'm trying so hard to like this game - the theme and art are gorgeous - but after an hour I just feel bored. In total I'm about 10 hours in and I don't think I can go any farther.

Everything in this game is so simplistic. Nothing about the gameplay really engages me.

hayguyz

Banned

You have about 30 more hours to go.

Roto13

So I lost cable/internet again at home, but luckily I had downloaded the game earlier. Finally picked up on playing it.

My gosh this game is so much fun >3< It's literally stunning as well. I haven't sat down and played a game in a long time, so I'm glad this was my first in a while.

You're about to finish Okami 1. Okami 2 and Okami 3 are also included in the game.

So I'm at the end of the game and have pretty much done every thing...except complete the fishing tome. I forgot how hard and luck based this was. : /

ubercheez

Made it to
the Dragon Palace,
which was one of the more memorable locations from my original playthrough. Probably the prettiest setting in a game where everything's already gorgeous.

I'm really liking how it's been so long since the PS2 version that there are actually a few sequences I've entirely forgotten, and I get to have the "first-time" feeling solving them.

Sera O

Banned
So I'm at the end of the game and have pretty much done every thing...except complete the fishing tome. I forgot how hard and luck based this was. : /

The fishing is bizarrely difficult! I constantly feel like I'm doing it wrong, which is possible too, but sometimes it's fast and sometimes it just takes forever/ends in failure.

I love this game, but there are things about it that are extremely irritating - it's definitely an unpolished gem. Liking this game depends a lot on one's tolerance for those flaws, and how much the rest of the overall experience appeals to the player. I can see how a lot of people would just give up on it despite the fact that the whole package is really amazing.

For one thing, that intro sequence - I sat there reading a book and just jamming my finger on the x-button periodically to get past it. It still felt really long. The fact that you need to manually advance it just adds insult to injury and completely kills any sense of anticipation, as you can't just completely ignore it and do something else.

I'm so glad Okami got the HD treatment though - I'm blown away all over again by how gorgeous it is and how fun it is just finding the treasures, exploring the areas, and making them bloom. This stylized visual approach just doesn't age at all, and this game will probably always look good to me.

Boss Doggie

Yeah fishing is the only thing I've yet to finish, + the two missing treasure tomes (both are zodiac statues).

Minamu

Why is the mountain trout so damn hard to find in Sei-An? >_< That one and the Oarfish in Kamui are the only thigns left for platinum...

Edit: And there it is :lol I knew that would work xD I've been at it for an hour in total. One more to go!

Boss Doggie

Why is the mountain trout so damn hard to find in Sei-An? >_< That one and the Oarfish in Kamui are the only thigns left for platinum...

Edit: And there it is :lol I knew that would work xD I've been at it for an hour in total. One more to go!

Hahahah, in Kamui it's the Flying Fish I'm missing!

And Moray.

And a bunch of fish in Sei-An. Because apparently it's a good idea to mix the fish pool of Sei-An and Agata.

Minamu

I needed the flying fish too, I had forgotten about that one. After 9 sea horses I thought, maybe I'm not supposed to go for the smallest shadow in the pond? And bam, there it is :) And the oarfish came up on the first try after that ^^ Platinum get after 41 hours. Ending spoiler sort of:
Dream Theatre's Panic Attack was a pretty fitting last boss fight song xD And knockin' on heaven's door came on just as I was boarding the ark :lol

Reclaimer

Any info on the Asia disc release having an English option?

Play Asia states: "This game has been tested and confirmed to contain both English and Japanese subtitles"

Are they subtitles? Or is the full game presented in English?

Coconut

Banned
Any info on the Asia disc release having an English option?

Play Asia states: "This game has been tested and confirmed to contain both English and Japanese subtitles"

Are they subtitles? Or is the full game presented in English?

I own the Asian version, full English menus and all.

Reclaimer

I own the Asian version, full English menus and all.

Awesome. Thanks for the info! Just ordered.

Despite LOVING the concept, Zelda, adventure games, animals, quirkiness, basically what I perceive to be all the ingredients in Okami... I've never played the game more than a handful of minutes.

Super excited to play it for the first time... And in HD to boot!

Is the Move the way to play? Or DS3?

Theonik

Awesome. Thanks for the info! Just ordered.

Despite LOVING the concept, Zelda, adventure games, animals, quirkiness, basically what I perceive to be all the ingredients in Okami... I've never played the game more than a handful of minutes.

Super excited to play it for the first time... And in HD to boot!

Is the Move the way to play? Or DS3?
If you have a move give it a spin with that first. If you can't get used to it you can try the DS3.

Mikey Jr.

I'm doing the devil gate trial in Ryoshima coast.

I'm not sure how much more of this shit I can take.....

I am running low on everything. I didn't expect this to take as long as it does.

edit: Omg, these fucking ogres keep coming. I think I'm done.....

Reclaimer

Is the English manual available online anywhere? The Asia import manual is doing me no good right now. :)

Edit: the controls and some info are in the menus on the disc, but would still like to read the manual.

Miutsu

Just finished this game yesterday for the first time... this game... THIS GAME! made me shear a tear or two at the ending, boy what a wonderful ride it was.

Also enjoyed a lot playing it with move, makes painting very fast and painless.

Miutsu

Maybe my move is broken, cuz the is the most cumbersome way to play it was not fast nor accurate.

At first I had a hard time calibrating it in a way that would give me the movement I wanted but once I found out the right controller position and pointing angle for the calibration, it was a complete breeze the whole game, very fast and precise. But yes at the beginning I had some trouble finding that sweetspot.

Mikey Jr.

I find that I can paint just fine with the DS3. Like, it seems very forgiving in reading your ink paintings.

I have made cherry bombs and thought "there is no way that it is going to register that as a cherry bomb. The circle is like an oval, and its sloppy", but yep, it does.

Only one I have had real problems was with whirlwind, the 3 horizontal lines. That one works only like 50% of the time.

I would love to see video of someone playing with the move and how much faster it was.

Boss Doggie

How do I get past this taka pass vine/log mini game? I'm trying to hook the points on the log but they never register

Weird. Try this.

As soon as you notice those flower "pods" for the vines, immediately hit R1. Then, rotate the camera while holding R1 to get a visible angle where the pods and the hooks are visible. Connect them, and make sure there is green smoke in both starting and ending the line (generally the game is helpful enough to "magnetize" your brush onto specific areas like the pod and hook).

wizzbang

Banned
This game is amazing (I finished it today) I am really dissapointed I didn't support Clover in the first place. It's beautiful and just really wholesome. I wish there was more games like this. I think the last 20 years of killing demons, criminals, monsters, zombies, vampires, evil humans has bored me. Something like this is good for the soul.

Really really enjoyed it - with few very few weak parts. I can't believe how long it was.
If you're on the fence on this game, don't be - it's just great. Damn.

Mikey Jr.

Yep, i platinumed it and loved every goddamn millisecond. I even shed a man tear at the end. I also had the ps2 version, but sold it like the fucknut that i am. Had a beautiful manual.

Cels

I was looking at importing this game for the hard copy and noticed the import comes with a youkai emaki (Demon Scroll) dlc code. Any idea what that is?

Just bought this and have put around 8 hours in so far. The first ~3 hours are really, REALLY slow and talky, but the unbelievable art and music keep it entertaining on an AV level. I bought the Wii version a few years back and couldn't put more than an hour into it due to the terrible controls, but I'm loving this now. Tight controls, intuitive painting mechanic, great music, beautiful design, etc. Whenever it isn't beating you over the head with pointless dialogue, it's a magical game. How well they executed the art + concept will keep it timeless. Honestly, it's pulling me out of the videogame funk I've been in for like a year now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, did anyone figure out why the Asian disc version's install was bigger than the normal PSN download? I imagine it's nothing, but I was finally going to pick the game up so I figured it couldn't hurt to find out what's up.

Theonik

The art book reprint is in stock on amazon!
Yeah I got mine a few days ago. I should note that the new one doesn't have the special binding the original print came with, which is both a disappointment and a blessing since the old one had allegedly the tendency to fall apart. It's very pretty either way. Definitely recommended.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really tried, but I see no reason to use the Move. It just seems inferior. Camera control is worse, painting is kinda harder...what's the benefit?

Top Bottom