• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

papercamm

I really tried, but I see no reason to use the Move. It just seems inferior. Camera control is worse, painting is kinda harder...what's the benefit?
Um, it's easier to control the pressure the brush puts out compared to using the triangle button? That's all I can think of, the motion controls feel like such a step down after playing it the way it was originally meant to be.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If it's like the Wii version, motion controls are faster for painting.

Are they? I feel like it's harder to be accurate.

Okami is probably a top 5 game for me all time, so maybe I should just give it more time. I found the camera control (or lack of, rather) kind of annoying. It's just too hard to use the dpad and analog stick together.

Roto13

Are they? I feel like it's harder to be accurate.

Okami is probably a top 5 game for me all time, so maybe I should just give it more time. I found the camera control (or lack of, rather) kind of annoying. It's just too hard to use the dpad and analog stick together.

Well, I have no idea how easy it is with the Move controller because I haven't tried it. But once I figured out there was a button to draw a straight line, I stopped having problems with the Wii version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, I have no idea how easy it is with the Move controller because I haven't tried it. But once I figured out there was a button to draw a straight line, I stopped having problems with the Wii version.

Snapples, I didn't know you could do that! Let me check around.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, does anyone know what the DLC code that's included with the retail versions actually is? Is it just something that's included in the PSN releases or...?

Is the retail version fully playable in English? Playasia says it has both english and japanese subtitles, does that also include menus and everything else? Just wanna be sure...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After a loooong wait, I'm finally picking this up. Time to dust off the Move controller. :D

Dave1988

I've finally started playing Okami HD a few days ago after having bought it months ago. My God, this game still looks so beatiful :O

Finalow

first time playing this game, I'm at
Oni Island
. amazing game? Amazing game. it has some little issues but this game is great, especially if you know some of the story/mythology and literature of Japan.
edit- nvm.

Duffyside

Banned
Finally playing this myself, and absolutely love it. Makes me wish I knew how to read... kanji? katakana?... those cool things. They're EVERYWHERE. Playing Okami I have the same feeling I had playing OoT and WW. The same feeling of mystery and discovery I haven't gotten from a Zelda game since.

Absolutely awe-struck by the artwork in this game, especially the little "stills" you get when a new enemy is introduced. So struck by it that I wanted to get the artbook, if there is one. And that's why I'm here.

Is this the official art book? http://www.amazon.com/dp/1897376022/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone have any recommendations?

Duffyside

Banned
Yep, that's the official art book. It was just reprinted not too long ago, before that it was fetching >$150.
I recently bought it and it's really nice. Tons of concept art on each of the characters, enemies, etc., and some interesting tidbits on character backgrounds and such from the developers.

Thanks. Never bought an art book before, but I'm going to bite here. If this works out... Valkyria Chronicles here I come! (Gasp! Is there a Journey art book!?!?)

Cels

Has this game been on sale on NA PSN ever? I have a backlog and I've already played the game on PS2 so that's why I'm waiting on a sale.

I got this game since it's free on PS plus, it's beautiful but the pace is painfully slow so far (I'm about 3-4 hours in).

My question is: does this game get better? I'm currently in
the forest when you fight that french speaking guy
. There are no real puzzles or "dungeons" so far, kinda disappointing.

Roto13

I got this game since it's free on PS plus, it's beautiful but the pace is painfully slow so far (I'm about 3-4 hours in).

My question is: does this game get better? I'm currently in
the forest when you fight that french speaking guy
. There are no real puzzles or "dungeons" so far, kinda disappointing.

Your first "big" dungeon is coming up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fuck fishing. I avoided it in the PS2 and Wii versions but the need to 100% the trophy (because it's doable) kept on bothering me, and I'm still stuck at the Fishables in the Sei-An City area :/

RoeBear

Fuck fishing. I avoided it in the PS2 and Wii versions but the need to 100% the trophy (because it's doable) kept on bothering me, and I'm still stuck at the Fishables in the Sei-An City area :/

I used a guide to get that trophy, and fish that it said were only available during the day I caught at night.

I'm really starting to like this game. I think that I'm enjoying it a lot more than the last Zelda I played (Twilight Princess).

One thing though, am I the only one who had problems with fishing and
that log in the river event
? Drawing simple lines doesn't really work, even though the game tells you to simply draw lines between two objects. There seems to be some problems with the detection system.

Roto13

I'm really starting to like this game. I think that I'm enjoying it a lot more than the last Zelda I played (Twilight Princess).

One thing though, am I the only one who had problems with fishing and
that log in the river event
? Drawing simple lines doesn't really work, even though the game tells you to simply draw lines between two objects. There seems to be some problems with the detection system.

Look for the smoke on the tip of your brush. If it's smoking, you're aiming at the beginning/end point of something actually happening.

Just finished the second "dungeon"
the one with the Samurai horse boss
and holy crap was that short and underwhelming... I really should stop expecting Zelda level design.

Look for the smoke on the tip of your brush. If it's smoking, you're aiming at the beginning/end point of something actually happening.

Thanks for the tip!

Just killed Orochi, the Moon Cave has been the best dungeon so far. The boss fight was probably the worst though, basically kill one head, now do the same 7 more times. I only have around 14 hours clocked in, is the game seriously around 50 hours long?

Roto13

Just killed Orochi, the Moon Cave has been the best dungeon so far. The boss fight was probably the worst though, basically kill one head, now do the same 7 more times. I only have around 14 hours clocked in, is the game seriously around 50 hours long?

You're finished with the first of three "arcs."

Dantis

So I just started this. What the frack is going on with this intro video. All text, really slow, unskippable and horrendously boring.

Awful start.

Mogwai

So I just started this. What the frack is going on with this intro video. All text, really slow, unskippable and horrendously boring.

Awful start.

Exact same thoughts for me. Launched the game some days ago. That intro was just way too long.

Anyway, is it just me or does it game have a Banjo-Kazooie vibe to it? That green glowing thing that speaks in sort of the same way.

Awful start.

Yes, the beginning is terribly slow and boring, but the game does get better a few hours in.

Anyway, this game is fucking LONG
I just freed the emperor from that mist thing, and it seems that I'm just 50% done with the story...

I want to finish the game already, I still have to play Infamous 2 before my Plus subscription runs out, lol.

Coconut

Banned
Oh man I've been picking away at this game since it came out and a few weeks ago I got to Tobi. I forgot how fucking rad he is.

I wonder why they didn't have the option to skip cutscenes like in the Wii version? I absolutely adore this game, one of my favourites ever even, yet I agree some scenes can be a total drag especially when you've seen them before. I hope you guys stick with it and enjoy it despite this flaw.

Ugh, I'll stop digging holes in this game
Got a boss fight out of a hole, these bosses are fucking tedious, don't make me fight them again!

GeekyDad

He's saying you are a swine and the game is the pearls.

It's a biblical reference, but infer from it what you will.

To me, the opening was beautiful. It's old-time storytelling, as if you are sitting around a campfire experiencing a tale retold by a tribal elder. The impatient will not get it.

When will developers learn that re-fighting bosses is not fun? It's almost like Okami's devs said: "this game is not long enough, let's make the player fight the bosses all over again!".

Finished this game yesterday. LOL at fighting
Orochi
3 times in the game, most tedious boss fight ever.

It's still a great game, although I kinda wish devs had removed some of the unnecessary stuff. It's a shame Capcom killed Clover, they had some great potential with Capcom's budget power.

soldat7

Sorry for the bump, but I can't help myself. I need the disc version of this. Play-Asia seems to be the best place (42.90 USD + free shipping). Any other leads or better/cheaper places to grab it?

Sorry for the bump, but I can't help myself. I need the disc version of this. Play-Asia seems to be the best place (42.90 USD + free shipping). Any other leads or better/cheaper places to grab it?

I bought a copy on Ebay for $35.00 shipped when it released. You might want to check them.

Arthea

Played some more, I think I'm close to the middle of a game.
There is one thing that bothers me. I can't remember what to do with green spots that are on cracked earth, I can't dig them, and none of brushes are working on those. Is it for later techniques or I just forgot what to do?
The game looks great, has nice music and - at least in theory - great gameplay, animations are funny and humour is there, but for whatever reasons I'm not enjoying it as much as I should. I wonder why.

corn_fest

Played some more, I think I'm close to the middle of a game.
There is one thing that bothers me. I can't remember what to do with green spots that are on cracked earth, I can't dig them, and none of brushes are working on those. Is it for later techniques or I just forgot what to do?
The game looks great, has nice music and - at least in theory - great gameplay, animations are funny and humour is there, but for whatever reasons I'm not enjoying it as much as I should. I wonder why.

You can upgrade your digging ability to break through rock, if I remember correctly.

Arthea

Moon temple surely looks like a cave if you ask me, a huge cave to boot. (><)
How far is it from the end? I being to feel that a game drags a lil. I probably should concentrate on finishing a game already, no way I'll find all beads or treasures anyway.

Top Bottom