• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

Zoc said:
Is it really 1080p? Can't 100% confirm but the resolution is significantly increased. At least native 720p but it looks higher to my eyes.
What kind of AA, and how much? I see very little to no aliasing on my VT50 plasma. It's really stunning though again I can't say what type of AA is being used.
AF? Not sure how much the game benefits from anistropic filtering with the art direction being what it is. It doesn't appear so..
Pop-in? (actually, IGN mentioned this was bad) Yes, unfortunately. Pots and other items will blink in and out from certain distances.
Tearing? I've seen none at all and the game runs smoother than the PS2 original. Doesn't feel like 60fps but it's an unwavering 30 at minimum.
Examples of the different paper filter settings? Can't help there but "Heavy" appears closest to the PS2 original to me.
Effects missing from Wii version restored? Yes! I threw in the PS2 original for comparison and this looks like a faithful port.
Playing the US version downloaded from PSN. My answers in bold.

Deadstar

Nonskippable text is a slight boner kill.

But god damn does this game look AMAZING in HD. Seriously beautiful. Capcom and HexaDrive did sooooo well on this.

If you hold circle the text gets to the end almost immediately and you can skip it. You can only do this after the initial 15 minute cut scene.

JoeFenix

This version looks absolutely incredible but then I saw it....

FUCKING FRAME TEARING! Ugh, putting my PS3 to 720p forces the game to render in 720 instead of 1080 and removes 90% of it but this pisses me off so much.

It's so close to being perfect, they've actualy redone all the icons and menus and it looks mindblowing in 1080p. Oh well, it's not all over the place and in 720p it's definitely not a big deal.

Good port other than frame tearing, I'm not bothered by the pop-in, it's identical to the original version. Not a big deal at all. Framerate in 1080p is variable but it's perfect 30 fps in 720p.

About the text, I'm pretty sure you can't speed it up during cutscenes because it's tied to animations. You can blast through all non-cutscene conversations atleast!

Tizoc

Based off this thread, the port is good, but there are mixed opinions on some stuff based on each player's experience @3@.

Also the game should've been 12 Pounds for EU >_>;

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This version looks absolutely incredible but then I saw it....

FUCKING FRAME TEARING! Ugh, putting my PS3 to 720p forces the game to render in 720 instead of 1080 and removes 90% of it but this pisses me off so much.

It's so close to being perfect, they've actualy redone all the icons and menus and it looks mindblowing in 1080p. Oh well, it's not all over the place and in 720p it's definitely not a big deal.

Good port other than frame tearing, I'm not bothered by the pop-in, it's identical to the original version. Not a big deal at all. Framerate in 1080p is variable but it's perfect 30 fps in 720p.

About the text, I'm pretty sure you can't speed it up during cutscenes because it's tied to animations. You can blast through all non-cutscene conversations atleast!

For what it's worth, after three hours of play I only noticed tearing one time, and I am pretty sensitive to it. It was in the initial village while it was still dark, running up a hill and spinning the camera. Really slight tearing only in the middle of the frame, couldn't replicate it when I tried again. (Running only in 1080p native.)

Right on about the text advancing, can't do it in "scripted" events because animations have to finish and whatnot, but it speeds things up a lot to full-page advance and display with normal conversations.

Looks really gorgeous especially with filter set to heavy.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Goddamn the first of the game, I about can't take it.

Yeah skippable text my ass.

It is 16 minutes to the first save point. Sixteen minutes! Okami is not a game about RUSHING THROUGH anyway, it's really long. Just enjoy the story, which is awesome.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... No skippable text? Or just some of it are skippable?

Does the Asian disc version have anything cut compared to the US release?

I think they're pretty much the same.

Is the game out in Datablitz? :>

JoeFenix

For what it's worth, after three hours of play I only noticed tearing one time, and I am pretty sensitive to it. It was in the initial village while it was still dark, running up a hill and spinning the camera. Really slight tearing only in the middle of the frame, couldn't replicate it when I tried again. (Running only in 1080p native.)

Right on about the text advancing, can't do it in "scripted" events because animations have to finish and whatnot, but it speeds things up a lot to full-page advance and display with normal conversations.

Looks really gorgeous especially with filter set to heavy.

I've noticed it in different places (drawing the lake, stairs at night) and it's really annoying imo. I will say that it is not HEAVY tearing like in Ninja Gaiden 2 or something.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves so it pisses me off that it's even in here at all but the port is really fantastic otherwise. You're absolutely right about the game looking gorgeous with the filter set to heavy.

Anyone who isn't super anal about frame tearing will be more than happy with this version of the game.

Damn this game is stunning. I just want to eat it.

Pop in is unfortunate, but you can pretend it's part of the artstyle or something, I guess.
I wish I had a sprint button, I hate starting off slow and having to gain speed.

Unskippable text and other repetitive slowdowns (mini-cutscenes) are incredibly annoying, but I am enjoying the story better this time now that I understand it better than I did my first time. Im basically going to grind until the halfway point that I stopped at originally on the PS2 version and then enjoy it as a new experience altogether)

These dipshit reviewers who dock Okami (and, by extension, modern Zelda) down for not having voice acting need a swift, brutal slap across the face and a stern "NO! BAD!".

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not sure, but I messaged them on Facebook along with Game One.

I called Datablitz but they don't have it. I hope it comes out this week since I don't want to download a 6GB game.

Poyunch

So I've been listening to a bunch of Okami music thanks to the rerelease and I must say

(endgame okami spoilers)
Ninetails should have been the final boss. Having the big bad end up using the celestial brush would have been cooler. It would have been an awesome transition: Amaterasu's awesome brush is so powerful, then we see Amaterasu in her prime as Shiranui seeing an even more powerful brush, and finally we see that there's an evil capable of using the Celestial Brush as well.

idk

Namco patented minigames in load screens. Capcom has removed this feature as far back as the Wii version because of this.

A lot of games load content while you play these days - how is it possible to differentiate what is the game and what is a loading screen?

"The game is supposed to have a minigame when you reach that point, it is not a loading screen".

Cartman86

Banned
A lot of games load content while you play these days - how is it possible to differentiate what is the game and what is a loading screen?

"The game is supposed to have a minigame when you reach that point, it is not a loading screen".

I would be curious if someone tried that. Would the player just think, "Why the fuck do I have to play this random mini-game whenever I leave an area?" I think people would be smart and realize it's loading.

OMG Aero

Any idea when this will be up on the EU store? I've got Uni at 2pm today and was hoping to start the download before I go in.
From my experience with the EU store you are not going to be able start the download before you go.
2pm seems to be average time for PSN updates but lately it has been later and later.

Zia

Aw, did they get rid of the methods to get demon fangs on loading screens? I can't seem to pull them off anymore...

I was wondering about that, too. Shame they had to remove it.

This is such a magical game, and a beautiful remaster. Despite having played through it twice (which took approximately six-hundred hours), I can't stop thinking about it. There isn't the same sense of childlike oddity, but it instills the same feelings in me as a Miyazaki film. Can't ask for much more than that. : )

Lime

This might be a stupid question, but Capcom or Sony didn't by any chance insert a screenshot function for this game, right?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Asian version huh? I wonder if it's for sale here...

Also, I guess this means poop and pee for demon fangs now?

jonabbey

Played it for 45 minutes last night. Beautiful, and just as much fun as it was the first time I played it on PS2.

The inability to skip through the initial dialog cut screens was frustrating, but once past that and into the game itself.. bliss.

Lime

what's so good about this game anyway? Seems like you control a white ghost dog that goes around fucking shit up.... WTF?

Off the top of my head:

-Mind-blowing art style
-Lots of endearing characters and a story with a lot of heart that makes you appreciate life
-Great example of implementing mechanics into the gameworld through story (celestial brush)

Top Bottom