• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD |OT|

Aeana

Try switching your PS3 system language to Japanese. A number of PS3 titles (such as Tekken 6 and Sonic Adventure 2) will switch all text to Japanese if that is what your PS3 system language is set to.

That kind of works. Some text is Japanese, some is English. It's really odd. But I've been playing that way for the last hour.

Het_Nkik

That kind of works. Some text is Japanese, some is English. It's really odd. But I've been playing that way for the last hour.

That's... weird. Can you be more specific on how it's handled? Is it just like menus are in English and dialog is in Japanese, or are there some instances of dialog in English and some in Japanese?

Eusis

I don't even know what tearing is. xP
If you're using Chrome: ever noticed how some of the animated gifs AREN'T animating? And how you have a top half (or quarter, three quarters, whatever) not match the bottom one, like it's further ahead in the frozen animation? That's what you see in real time on games without V-Sync. Alternatively: just download a demo of some PC game (or a free one like Team Fortress 2) and keep the V-sync off, you should see what it is even on a crappy computer.

Some games are really good showpieces for this effect though, like Lollipop Chainsaw on PS3, Jak 2 (and 3?) on PS2, and probably a lot more I'm not remembering right now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If you're using Chrome: ever noticed how some of the animated gifs AREN'T animating? And how you have a top half (or quarter, three quarters, whatever) not match the bottom one, like it's further ahead in the frozen animation? That's what you see in real time on games without V-Sync. Alternatively: just download a demo of some PC game (or a free one like Team Fortress 2) and keep the V-sync off, you should see what it is even on a crappy computer.

Some games are really good showpieces for this effect though, like Lollipop Chainsaw on PS3, Jak 2 (and 3?) on PS2, and probably a lot more I'm not remembering right now.

Honestly, all this post made me think about was "yeah, Chrome used to be good... why is it such a pile of horse shit now?"

Het_Nkik

Metal Gear Solid 3 on PS2 is the first game I ever noticed screen tearing in. I was mildly confused as to why it was happening.

Eusis

Honestly, all this post made me think about was "yeah, Chrome used to be good... why is it such a pile of horse shit now?"
Haha. Frustrating thing is I switch back to Firefox, only to get that to hang for several seconds.

Maybe it's from running NoScript, but why do these browsers keep getting worse?

Don't look at it like that; you get to be a bringer of news, a confirmer of... things. A guinea pig, if you will. And isn't that worth $60? No, but really, I really do appreciate you picking up the Asian copy so you can confirm for the rest of us.

Yeah this sounds right, anybody check the language options yet?

Just started the US version that I downloaded yesterday, and it has no language options. I really hope the Asian version has a English option in it!

Eusis

Just started the US version that I downloaded yesterday, and it has no language options. I really hope the Asian version has a English option in it!
It's probably one of those things that conforms with your system's settings. Experiment quickly and see?

RPGCrazied

Sadly it does screen tear for me at 1080p. Oh well. Thankfully it does not in 720p. The paper filter effect is easier to see at 720p. I had troubles telling it was even in the game at 1080p when I first started playing.

Now the guys at Gamefaqs are saying that Ebay sellers are confirming that the Asian version is in Japanese. I am gonna be so upset if this is the only language option!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmmm... Maybe I'll just buy the psn version for now... I have a sneaking suspicion that even if one of the disc versions is in English, it's gonna be one of those ghetto discs where it basically just installs the downloadable game... A la Journey: CE

Airgetlam

Quick question: For one of the trophies it says we need to get a cherry tree rank in each item in the total results screen. Does anyone remember what the categories are? I hope time isn't one of them because I don't want to rush through the game.

RPGCrazied

I like how you are teased that you are playing a downloaded version. (download ver.) But you can't go out and buy the disc version. Anyway, loving it as I use to did back a few years ago.

Quick question: For one of the trophies it says we need to get a cherry tree rank in each item in the total results screen. Does anyone remember what the categories are? I hope time isn't one of them because I don't want to rush through the game.
4 or less Game Over and Continues.
550 Enemies or more defeated.
4 Million or more yen (YES you can spend it, they count the TOTAL amount).
300 or more demon fangs (YES you can spend these)
4500 or more Praise (You can spend it)

Airgetlam

4 or less Game Over and Continues.
550 Enemies or more defeated.
4 Million or more yen (YES you can spend it, they count the TOTAL amount).
300 or more demon fangs (YES you can spend these)
4500 or more Praise (You can spend it)
Thanks! I just noticed this was also posted earlier. I should have looked a bit harder...

StuBurns

Banned
Sadly it does screen tear for me at 1080p. Oh well. Thankfully it does not in 720p. The paper filter effect is easier to see at 720p. I had troubles telling it was even in the game at 1080p when I first started playing.
Excellent, I'm glad someone has tried it, I'll switch to 720p, thanks.

Nothing like HD rereleases to rub in the fact that I buy games and don't play them, then buy them again just to have them in a form where I'm at least more likely to play them, but realistically still won't play them.

I'm not sure if having made a decent chunk of progress in Okami makes it better or worse. Better because I at least got some value out of the PS2 version. Worse because I lose 20-30 hours of progress (not that I think I could pick up where I left off at this point anyway, it's been like four years).

Six years? My life :(

Eusis

You know, I think I appreciate HD more for the paintings than the in-game graphics. It's a style that scales well, though I'm sure it'll look much sharper than my memories would indicate of the PS2 version, but there's a lot of fine detail in those paintings that couldn't really be shown in 480i.

Does seem to ignore the minor concession they made for HDTVs though (LCD TV mode). I'll compare later.

Minamu

I'm pretty sure I just got that one in the first real fight outside the tutorials.

Edit: Ah no, that's the lesser one. Carry on.

StuBurns

Banned
I get screentear in 720p too, but at least it's only in the top section, so most people wouldn't see it because of over scan.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Been playing for a while and I only noticed screen tear in the beginning section of the game at 1080p. So it could be stable after that or I just don't notice it.

wizzbang

Banned
33% more than the US - slightly more with the stronger exchange rate at the moment. For a digital product.
I could handle 25$ but 30$ - why 30$? and no physical disk obviously, just for a downloadable?

Congratulations on no sale Sony, good job.

tengiants

I've never had to download something > 6 Gb on PSN before. I now know what a terrible service PSN is. I lost the download twice, once at 60 something percent and once at 30 something percent. After some googling I've found that if you move the download to the background, it supports pause/resume.. wtf sony engineers, no wonder you're failing.

Protip: Go into background download for this ASAP.

StuBurns

Banned
I've never had to download something > 6 Gb on PSN before. I now know what a terrible service PSN is. I lost the download twice, once at 60 something percent and once at 30 something percent. After some googling I've found that if you move the download to the background, it supports pause/resume.. wtf sony engineers, no wonder you're failing.

Protip: Go into background download for this ASAP.
I didn't know anyone didn't do that.

Autofokus

33% more than the US - slightly more with the stronger exchange rate at the moment. For a digital product.
I could handle 25$ but 30$ - why 30$? and no physical disk obviously, just for a downloadable?

Congratulations on no sale Sony, good job.

You know that the publishers dictate the pricing?

Top Bottom