• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden |OT| The SQUEE-quel! Put down your Pokeymans!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
mainbanner.jpg

pic02_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
pic09_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
pic07_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

pic10_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
pic04_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
pic03_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

generalinformation.jpg

boxart.jpg

Ōkamiden is the direct sequel to the 2006 cult-classic Ōkami. It was designed by Kuniomi Matsushita, the director of the Wii port of Ōkami, and Motohide Eshiro, producer of Ace Attorney Investigations and Onimusha 2. It stars Chibiterasu, son of the wolf god Amaterasu. Gameplay is similar to the original Ōkami, including the celestial brush. A new feature is that Chibiterasu will partner up with other characters. These characters can assist during battles or puzzle solving.

Japanese Website | http://www.capcom.co.jp/o-kamiden/index.html
Facebook | http://www.facebook.com/Okami

Release Dates
NA | March 15, 2011
EU | March 18, 2011
AUS | March 31, 2011
JPN | September 30, 2010

Platform | Nintendo DS
Genre | Action-Adventure
Developer/Publisher | Capcom

videos.jpg

story.jpg

MQYzV.jpg

Nine months after the events of the first Ōkami, the demons have returned to Nippon. When the sprite Sakuya summons Amaterasu in order to help rid the world of the demons again, she instead finds Chibiterasu, son of Amaterasu. Chibiterasu does not quite have the power of his mother, but by teaming up with other children, Chibiterasu goes on an adventure to fight the demons.

previews.jpg

IGN
As for general control, Okamiden feels great, and there's literally nothing I'd change about Capcom's control decisions; literally nothing. Movement is crisp and responsive, attacks feel great, jump attacks work with the timing and responsiveness you'd expect, and the animation is rewarding as well. Where Okamiden obviously takes a big turn away from classic adventuring though is in the brush, and it's also an impressive implementation that does the series (and system it's on) justice.

G4TV
Okamiden is looking like a solid sequel, despite Hideki Kamiya having left Capcom and the Clover studio having been dissolved. Hopefully the rest of the game holds up to the demo I played, and that they've introduced enough new features that it doesn't feel like a retread. Even if they haven't, Okami fans will probably want to play through to see how the story continues. Who knows, if it does well maybe we'll see a sequel on HD consoles.

Edge Magazine
Despite Okami's relative lack of success, Eshiro is keen that these changes don't alienate fans of the original game, saying they're trying to "bring the world of the original Okami to the Nintendo DS.

Kotaku
Okamiden manages to walk the fine line between artistic and interesting, delivering a portable gaming experience that is a pleasure to watch and play.

reviews.jpg

Metacritic
GameRankings

GameInformer | 8.75/10
Okamiden takes around 25 hours to complete, so it's much shorter than the original. I felt like the journey was just about the right length, with the only filler coming at the very end. Plenty of items to collect and sidequests to complete (not to mention a new game + option) will satiate those looking for an even longer experience. Most exciting of all? The end hints heavily at more entries in this excellent series.

IGN | 8.5
Okamiden has all the right ingredients for a spectacular adventure game, though it never quite reaches the heights of the titles it seeks to emulate. Even so, it shows tons of promise, and has me really excited for the future of this franchise in the making. All in all, there is nothing lacking in this package. An engaging tale, memorable characters, epic boss battles, and cute wolf puppies-- it’s all here and it feels great. Good news for gamers: it seems an old wolf can learn new tricks.

GameTrailers | 8.5

Famitsu | 9-8-8-9
The stylus is perfect for the brush-drawing action. The core bits of the previous game, the world exploration and visual beauty, are fully there on the portable system. It's a shame there are no dramatic changes apart from the controls, but maybe that just shows how complete a package it was in the first place.
(Translation by 1UP)

Edge Magazine | 8/10
Whereas a more comprehensive reimagining of how Okami would work on DS could have resulted in a less ambitious, more polished game, Okamiden succeeds in preserving both the spirit and form of its forebear, and that makes in rather special indeed.

Eurogamer | 8/10
It's the hallmark of a game that's perhaps a little too reverential, that attempts to recreate the same experience on a handheld that's hardly suited to a direct translation. The original may have used Zelda as a touchstone, but – with one notable exception – Okamiden never looks to Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks to see how a handheld action-adventure can be retooled to fit a portable console. Instead, Capcom has attempted to transfer Clover Studios' wonderful world to DS as was. That it hasn't quite succeeded is understandable; that it has tried is admirable.

Nintendo Power | 8/10

GameSpot | 7.5
Okamiden sets out to rise above the shadow of Okami, but it never achieves that goal. It's just too similar to the PlayStation 2 original, so it struggles to establish an identity of its own. But despite the familiar ground it travels, this is still a good game that captures the unmitigated pleasure of bringing life to a dying land. Okamiden is a beautiful game, and it uses its artful setting to lure you into this world and care about the events and characters as if they were real. The shallow gameplay lacks the imagination that could have made it stand on par with the gorgeous sights, and some touch-screen annoyances get in the way of your carefree creation. But despite Okamiden's few missteps, it's a pleasure to explore this fanciful world and uncover every secret it has hidden. Okamiden doesn't make a name for itself, but this is still a joyful game that is easy to lose yourself in.

daffy

Banned
No. I won't put down my Pokeymans.

Question though, is Okami necessary to have played to understand the story?

ZealousD

_Alkaline_ said:
Is this seriously coming out in Pokemon month? Oh dear.

Not just a Pokemon month. A Pokemon / 3DS month.

Yeah, that's not going to go well for them.

Zzoram

They do realize that Pokemon sells 10 million units every time right? And that Pokemon is easily a 40-100+ hour game right?

I'll be following this thread for impressions since I'm not sure if I actually want Okamiden yet. I'm a fan of the genre, but Okami got stale before I ever finished it and the demo for this one left me feeling pretty ambivalent.

ZealousD

FTH said:
No.

Question though, is Okami necessary to have played to understand the story?

I've intentionally kept myself from reading too much into the specifics of the game's story. That being said, the story of Okami is really simple. I'm sure you'd be fine without having played the first game. I guess you might try a synopsis or something.

kunonabi

yeah it is a terrible spot to release it. I'm going to have to pass in order to pick my 3DS. Sucks but I'm going to have wait just like I have to wait on picking up Radiant Historia

Alrus

Is this game as hand-holdy as the first one? That was my main issue with the original (along with dungeons being shitty). I'll pick it in a heartbeat if it's not =)

10 days away? Wow, that crept up on me. Looks like it might have to wait, but that's a real shame as I loved Okami. Though with such a horrible release spot I might make my funds stretch. :)

Can't wait to play this, I love Okami, but whenever I see screens of this I worry about the field of view. It always looks to me like you can't see much around you, seems like it would be annoying.

Psy-Phi

Well, I'll be doing my part and buying this instead of Pokemon White. Will just get one Pokemon's this time.

ZealousD

Psy-Phi said:
Well, I'll be doing my part and buying this instead of Pokemon White. Will just get one Pokemon's this time.

I'm glad that I grew out of my rabid love for Pokemon. I'm waiting for Pokemon Grey/Zebra.

SmithnCo

Geez I hope this doesn't flounder due to the release date. :( Already have it preordered through the Capcom Store for that little plush keychain.

Haunted said:
The irony is remarkable.

Sent to die against the successor hardware once again. Poor Okami[den]. :(

Okami came out right before the PS3/Wii but IIRC it sold really well. Its a greatest hits infact.

Sandwiched between Pokemon B&W and the 3DS.

Yeah, it's got no chance of success. It's not even being sold in retail stores in the UK (online only)

Sent to die indeed (I'll still get it though!)

mavs

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Man, if people think Okamiden is being sent to die the reception for Monster Tale is really, really going to depress them.

Oh wow. I thought both these games had been out for a while already.

Square Triangle said:
Okami came out right before the PS3/Wii but IIRC it sold really well. Its a greatest hits infact.

:lol

Although to be fair, combined with the Wii version the game may be a million seller.

mavs said:
Oh wow. I thought both these games had been out for a while already.

:lol
Well the Gamestop I was working at I remember having a lot of pre-orders on. That particular location did have a lot of hardcore PS2 guys though

Alrus

Square Triangle said:
Well the Gamestop I was working at I remember having a lot of pre-orders on. That particular location did have a lot of hardcore PS2 guys though

Afaik the game bombed pretty badly, it might have sold a bit better on Wii but overall it was a sales failure (zelda-like game are pretty expensive too).

It's a bit sad but I think this one will suffer the same fate =/ Although it was probably a lot cheaper to make so it might not be a financial disaster.

Yeah Im not sayin Okamivwas a commercial success but for what type of game it was- we sold a lot. Hopefully this wont bomb as bad since its now a franchise.

ZealousD

Alrus said:
Afaik the game bombed pretty badly, it might have sold a bit better on Wii but overall it was a sales failure (zelda-like game are pretty expensive too).

It's a bit sad but I think this one will suffer the same fate =/ Although it was probably a lot cheaper to make so it might not be a financial disaster.

The Japanese release of the game seemed to sell better than the original Okami in that territory. So at least if it doesn't perform so well here, that'll help soften the blow.

I have it pre-ordered and I'm going to buy it but, I don't know when I'll get to it. I'm trying to finish DQ6, already started Pokemon White, and the 3DS comes out in 3 weeks.

No game except Mahvel will stand a chance against Pokemon...

I finished Okami and I was hoping to have some uninterrupted game time with this one. I guess I'll stick to reading the impressions for launch. It'll be a little while before I pick this one up, but it's definitely the first DS game I'll pick up after Pokemon.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Sandwiched between Pokemon B&W and the 3DS.

Yeah, it's got no chance of success. It's not even being sold in retail stores in the UK (online only)

Sent to die indeed (I'll still get it though!)
I remember this being the case with Muramasa on the Wii.

:(

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
I know of 2 people buying the game.

I am one of those 2 people. :(

R.I.P Okami franchise.

Hopfully all this GAF negativity will spark a miracle turnaround and it will sell a million in a week.

AbsoluteZero said:
It's also as if the 3DS doesn't play DS games.

People who will be picking up a 3DS this month will be looking to buy 3DS games for their new system, not DS games.

Thus any new DS game that gets released this month gets ignored.

Nuclear Muffin said:
People who will be picking up a 3DS this month will be looking to buy 3DS games for their new system, not DS games.

Thus any new DS game that gets released this month gets ignored.

So...Pokemon Black/White Bomba?

AbsoluteZero said:
So...Pokemon Black/White Bomba?

Don't be stupid. Pokemon is a major enough franchise to sell both to DS owners and 3DS owners, regardless of the 3DS hype.

Okamiden however is too niche. It's primary audience will be the same as the 3DS early adopters (and they will be more interested in getting 3DS games for their new shiny machine)

If it was releasing a few months after the 3DS launch, it would have a much better chance of success (as it would attract those who may be looking for something new to play, while the release schedule is not so packed)

Didn't know there was a demo on the Nintendo Channel until I read through this thread. It's one of those demos that doesn't really give you much of a taste of the final game, you get to sample some of the basic mechanics of combat, platforming and use of the celestial brush, you get to see how the game looks ( don't think screenshots necessarily do it justice) but you don't really get a feel for what the end product is going to be like.

Top Bottom