• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden |OT| The SQUEE-quel! Put down your Pokeymans!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jaundicejuice said:
Didn't know there was a demo on the Nintendo Channel until I read through this thread. It's one of those demos that doesn't really give you much of a taste of the final game, you get to sample some of the basic mechanics of combat, platforming and use of the celestial brush, you get to see how the game looks ( don't think screenshots necessarily do it justice) but you don't really get a feel for what the end product is going to be like.

It's just the problem with the genre. You can't really make demos for long, slow paced games like this and have them be representative of the final product. You just can't.

UK version preordered and waiting! Been counting down the days to the UK release since this came out in Japan, really looking forward to it as Okami is one of my all-time favourites.

My bigger concern is that it's not just the Pokeymans I'll have to put down (haven't started Black yet!) - I have Inazuma Eleven and Dragon Quest VI to get through first! :p

Noogy

Utako said:
Why is anyone excited about a sequel from non-Clover people? Are the reviews great?

For me it's because I love the world that they created. Just played the DS demo... and it felt a tad mushy, but I'm still looking foward to it.

Haunted

Square Triangle said:
Okami came out right before the PS3/Wii but IIRC it sold really well. Its a greatest hits infact.
Okami bombed really hard. Lots of critical, no commercial success. The good word of mouth, its legacy sales, re-releases and ports to another system did their parts to mitigate the overall picture somewhat... but it was still sent to die when it came out, and subsequently, totally bombed.

Your hopeful anecdotal evidence aside, that's the reality.

Here's hoping Okamiden's sales reception will be the complete opposite of Okami's, but with the unbelievable unfortunate timing they're putting it in again, I have little hope.

Chorazin

I'm gonna buy a plush Chibiterasu at PAX East this weekend, and if they are selling the game early I'll snag it.

If they aren't, I'll probably wait on it since the 3DS is so close...

Just preordered my copy, can't wait to play it! I also have a feeling that this game is going to be impossible to find in a few months.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'll be grabbing this for my younger sister, who is obsessed with the first game. But I'll end up playing it as well, hehehe.

Volcynika said:
Will have my copy whenever Capcom sees fit to ship it. And PLUSH KEYCHAIN YES. Stuff.

me too, high five

edit: Forgot to mention, I played Okami on the PS2 at launch. I don't really remember specifics, so I picked it up on Wii and will be playing through that first before tackling Okamiden. Wii version, good or bad, I don't care. It'll serve as a refresher for me, I got 16:9 visuals, and I'll see for myself how the Wii controls are. I expect them to be bad but still doable, though.

OMG Aero

faridmon said:
you fail as a gamer.

this game, I will buy it
when it bombs and I can get it for sub £15. Good job Capcom
You are a terrible person and if there is no Okami 3 it is solely because of you.

jvalioli

I've been on a media blackout for this game just like the first Okami. My body is ready.

Btw not sure why you would want to play this without playing the first one.

faridmon

OMG Aero said:
You are a terrible person and if there is no Okami 3 it is solely because of you.
You mean Okami 5

Hey, I am all for supporting the industry, But if you are messing up a release of a game which result in my effort in vein, then I would be stupid to not get it for a cheaper option.

I love how Capcom wants this to be a big DS success, but releases it in the same month as Pokemon and the 3DS, making sure it is buried and forgotten under two layers of sales juggernauts.

Pyrokai

Even though I'm in Pokemon mode, I wil most definitely be getting this. I loved Okami.

It's too bad this game is going to fail miserably :(

Kifimbo

_dementia said:
Ah yes, Capcom sent me a replacement sleeve for this once. Nice price too. Is the port good?

I'm playing it for the first time on Wii. The port is fine, but the motion controls are pretty bad. Having a hard time drawing straight lines and circles.

Kifimbo said:
I'm playing it for the first time on Wii. The port is fine, but the motion controls are pretty bad. Having a hard time drawing straight lines and circles.

That's IR, not motion controls. And they work great once you're used to it. Very quick and easy compared to the original.

The motion controls are bad though. The beads work fine, the others take a while to get used to the timing.

ajim

i've got the original on wii, but have never played it. still, i'll be pikcing this up asap, and will play it before the original.

cant wait.

Ironically it launched in Japan right after Pokémon as well. I'm interested in playing it, so I'll try to make time for it despite the 3DS coming out this month. I'll just get Okamiden later.

Decent chance I'll buy this on the 27th, to make up for the lack of 3DS launch titles I'm interested in.

Anyway, I can't find the link right now, but I recall reading an interview last year where one of the producers mentioned that Capcom had briefly considered moving it to 3DS, but decided that the game was too far along to justify scrapping most of what had been completed. What could (should?) have been...

If you haven't played Okami before then you should really play the PS2 version. The Wii version was ported by a bunch of talentless hacks who went out of their way to ruin everything that was awesome about the original. I mean they couldn't even program the IR detection correctly! Throw in downgraded graphics, annoying waggle combat and the fact that they REMOVED THE FUCKING ENDING!, you really should experience the PS2 version instead.

Father_Brain said:
Decent chance I'll buy this on the 27th, to make up for the lack of 3DS launch titles I'm interested in.

Anyway, I can't find the link right now, but I recall reading an interview last year where one of the producers mentioned that Capcom had briefly considered moving it to 3DS, but decided that the game was too far along to justify scrapping most of what had been completed. What could (should?) have been...
That would've been fantastic (and likely far, far better for sales) :(

Top Bottom