• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden |OT| The SQUEE-quel! Put down your Pokeymans!

Kifimbo

nincompoop said:
If you haven't played Okami before then you should really play the PS2 version. The Wii version was ported by a bunch of talentless hacks who went out of their way to ruin everything that was awesome about the original. I mean they couldn't even program the IR detection correctly! Throw in downgraded graphics, annoying waggle combat and the fact that they REMOVED THE FUCKING ENDING!, you really should experience the PS2 version instead.

This doesn't motivate me to finish it...

nincompoop said:
If you haven't played Okami before then you should really play the PS2 version. The Wii version was ported by a bunch of talentless hacks who went out of their way to ruin everything that was awesome about the original. I mean they couldn't even program the IR detection correctly! Throw in downgraded graphics, annoying waggle combat and the fact that they REMOVED THE FUCKING ENDING!, you really should experience the PS2 version instead.
You're exaggerating just a bit

The IR is fine. It works as it's suppose to, if it doesn't you have a problem with your Wii, not the game.

"Waggle" combat amounts to nothing more than switching when you would have used a button to a gentle shake. If this bothers you that much, you shouldn't even own a Wii to start with.

The graphics are identical. All they did was increase the contrast and toned down the pretty annoying paper filter. It made the game much clearer to see. I believe the Wii version is also at a higher resolution, but I could be wrong.

The Wii version is essentially identical to the PS2 version. You get the same experience from either, so pick the one that's most convenient for you.

daffy

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
You're exaggerating just a bit

The IR is fine. It works as it's suppose to, if it doesn't you have a problem with your Wii, not the game.

"Waggle" combat amounts to nothing more than switching when you would have used a button to a gentle shake. If this bothers you that much, you shouldn't even own a Wii to start with.

The graphics are identical. All they did was increase the contrast and toned down the pretty annoying paper filter. It made the game much clearer to see. I believe the Wii version is also at a higher resolution, but I could be wrong.

The Wii version is essentially identical to the PS2 version. You get the same experience from either, so pick the one that's most convenient for you.
Mhmm, what about his statement that they removed the ending?

FTH said:
You can watch it on Youtube if you want. The ending shouldn't make or break a decision to buy a 50+ hour game, since 99% of your time playing is going to be spent not watching the ending.

diffusionx

Gold Member
nincompoop said:

RAD are not "talentless hacks." See Ghost of Sparta.

Read Wiki:

Svensson reported that the original game assets given to them from Capcom Japan were incomplete, and even after requesting old hard drives and computers to recover more assets, Ready at Dawn was still required to recreate some from scratch.[57] Furthermore, the game had to be recoded to change optimizations that were made for the PlayStation 2 version; Svensson stated that "part of the reason we didn't show it until we started showing it was because, if we showed it in a form that was anything less than near-perfect, people were going to freak out".[57] Ready at Dawn's creative director Ru Weerasuriya later reflected that porting Ōkami to the Wii was a challenging task—"we started with no assets and literally reverse-engineered the whole thing back onto Wii"—they did out of love for the game, but the level of effort would preclude them from attempting such a port again.[61]

Capcom essentially handed them an incomplete pile of junk and said "figure it out."

Scipius

FTH said:

balladofwindfishes said:
You can watch it on Youtube if you want. The ending shouldn't make or break a decision to buy a 50+ hour game, since 99% of your time playing is going to be spent not watching the ending.

Actually, the ending is essentially intact, the only thing missing is the credit roll. The PS2 version has a very nice video and song that accompanies the credits, which had to be removed from the Wii version for reasons of either space or copyrights, I'm not sure. The rest of the ending, story and score, is still there.

If you have the Wii version, just enjoy the entire ending, and then watch the PS2 credits here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGjEV3sSLG4

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Scipius said:
Actually, the ending is essentially intact, the only thing missing is the credit roll. The PS2 version has a very nice video and song that accompanies the credits, which had to be removed from the Wii version for reasons of either space or copyrights, I'm not sure. The rest of the ending, story and score, is still there.
They had to remove it because the Clover logo was was hard-embedded into it, and Capcom wasn't allowed to use it. (IIRC)

Scipius

The_Technomancer said:
They had to remove it because the Clover logo was was hard-embedded into it, and Capcom wasn't allowed to use it. (IIRC)

That was one story, but I think there were also some who claimed there was not enough space left on the disc. Whatever the reason was, it was a sad loss for the Wii version, but only a complete nincompoop would say they "removed the ending"; there's plenty of it left.

I'll pick this little gem up pending the impressions. If Gaf likes it, I'll pick it up next month. Pokeyman Blacky (and Radiant Historia) comes first. :-D

kunonabi

Wii version is easily the better version. I freakin hated doing the celestial brush techs with the ps2's awful analog sticks. The waggle worked fine as long as you timed your combos instead of just button mashing(well waggle mashing I guess?)

It sucked about the ending credits but it was still better than the ps2 version.

OMG Aero

People are exaggerating far too much about the Wii version.
Pointing to draw was perfectly fine once you got used to the shapes you draw and I can't imagine drawing with an analog stick in later battles (Or the devil trial gates) where you need to use your brush powers quickly.
The removal of the credits is pretty lame but it is in no way the removal of the ending of the game, and if you want to then you can watch the credits on youtube.
Waggling to attack is a mixed bag though I'll give you that. The reflectors and rosaries work perfectly fine but the controls can be a bit iffy when it comes to the glaive weapons as the timing and movements can be tricky to get down. But since the rosaries are the best weapons in the game this isn't a big issue.

brb

This is coming out so soon after black and white? Looks like I'll only have a week to complete what I can in Pokemon before this releases. :(

The_Technomancer said:

Japanese Wii version has the original end credits (as well as other little changes from the US/EU version)

It was simply a rush job. Capcom didn't give Ready at Dawn the time or resources that they needed to do a good job with the port.

Pyrokai

I remember having the most difficult time at first with straight lines and circles, too. You'll get the hang of it, though. I do remember straight lines being easier the faster you drew them.

By the end of the game, I couldn't see myself going back to the PS2 version. The combat with the Wii remote was just so musc faster for me.

Just give it time and you'll appreciate the pointer controls. I also remember having a similar issue with shaking to attack, but got the timing down perfectly after a while.

I should play Okami Wii sometime. I even bought the artbook too (great book).

Nuclear Muffin said:
Sandwiched between Pokemon B&W and the 3DS.

Yeah, it's got no chance of success. It's not even being sold in retail stores in the UK (online only)

Sent to die indeed (I'll still get it though!)
I thought it was only GAME stores that couldn't be bothered. Well at least GAME group are the on ly ones who said it loud and clear.

SolarPowered said:
I remember this being the case with Muramasa on the Wii.

:(
Wasn't that again an issue with GAME trying to bully RSG into selling it at a lower price or something like that.

kunonabi said:
Wii version is easily the better version. I freakin hated doing the celestial brush techs with the ps2's awful analog sticks. The waggle worked fine as long as you timed your combos instead of just button mashing(well waggle mashing I guess?)

It sucked about the ending credits but it was still better than the ps2 version.
No, it wasn't. The Wii version removes the paper filter and destroys the original's color tones. Furthermore, it has more technical issues than the PS2 version, which has no issues aside from slowdown in very few areas. Plus, I feel the controls are better in the PS2 version.

I suppose it just comes down to personal preference, but the PS2 Okami is the true version. The Wii version is just a copy, and it's an inferior one.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Please, please don't get into a spat about the differences between the PS2 and Wii versions of the original game, guys. We've had this argument a million times and it goes nowhere.

OMG Aero

Starwolf_UK said:
I thought it was only GAME stores that couldn't be bothered. Well at least GAME group are the on ly ones who said it loud and clear.
Wait, this is really being sold online only? Did they say why?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
mantidor said:
So does okamiden has a lefty mode? or it isn't necessary? I've been in a kind of media blackout.
Same. That's a good question. I hope so. I'd hate for my hand to be covering up important stuff on the touch screen.

In other news, I completely forgot this was coming out soon. And the week after Pokemon, no less. Oh dear. :/

Edit: Now I feel bad for only having played the Wii version...

soldat7

I hope I can find the time for this. Okami is one of the best games of all times. All times.

kunonabi said:

If the Wii is your only option, then great. The game just needs to be played (legally) no matter what. Otherwise, the PS2 version rocks your dad's nads in comparison. Ports are rarely better than the original, and this is certainly not one of those cases.

TripOpt55

I can't wait for this game. I have it pre-ordered to get the little stylus thing that comes with it. I won't use it, but I just want it as a collector's item. So excited for the game though. I think it looks really cool.

Got this on pre-order, but still not sure if I'll pick-up Day 1.

My gaming budget got a fairly nice boost in me trading in my 360 to pay for my 3DS (got less than $100 left to pay off), but I still have Dissidia Duodecim and 3rd Birthday to pick up at the end of the month, not to mention my import copies of Duodecim and FFIV Complete...

Will see if I can shuffle a few things to pick-up...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Why this is coming out now, whyyyy?!
I'm already well past my gaming budget for the month and the something, and even though I know it's criminal that I chose what it's probably gonna been a couple of semi-decent 3Ds games over this one but atm it's more appealing to try things on my shiny new toy -_-

Edit:
Ready at Dawn are talentless hacks now? GTFO nincompoop, geez some people here really don't have a clue. Besides some of the best showpieces for PSP's hardware, they've basically rebuilt Okami from scratch because they couldn't use the code and a shitton of assets, with a team of 10+ people, plus the ending credits removal was Capcom's decision, not theirs... Get your fucking facts straight, you talentless hack of a GAF user.

OMG Aero said:
Wait, this is really being sold online only? Did they say why?
Well actually this is all I can find:
http://ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/01/talking_point_is_the_ds_dead_at_retail said:
It's not just Inazuma Eleven that's suffering from retailer apathy: Capcom's upcoming Okamiden will also be missing from major retailer Gamestation's shelves after the company decided only to stock the title online. Despite plenty of coverage for the title in gaming media, plus the Okami name that many gamers love, you won't be able to find one of the DS's most promising third-party titles in any of Gamestation's 250+ stores.
Nintendolife don't seem like the people to randomly say stuff (except that Inazuma part...its publisher Apathy, the same as Maestro: Jump n' Music). I would be weird for GAME group to decide to not stock such a game in their edgy hardcore spin-off (that has basically turned into GAME but with a dudebro skin complete with its own reward card, which is identical to the GAME one except with "achievements" such as trading lots of stuff in and buying lots of used, the old schemes that got people actually buying used games like £4 for £20 and £2 for £20 are all but dead) while stocking it in the family-friendly side.

GameE

I have this pre-ordered. I wonder if I should just buy another copy since I'm worried about the sales...

Velti

Neo Member
Aaaaaaaah... I dunno. The pup's running animation grates on me. Couldn't they have translated a lighter version of the powerful motion from the first game? I spent so much time just running and jumping around like a fox kit.

depward

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Just picked up my copy at ebgames in canada with brush stylus and cloth.....what's with canada getting games so early lately? I likes it! :p
That's like, one week early! Dang!

TripOpt55

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Just picked up my copy at ebgames in canada with brush stylus and cloth.....what's with canada getting games so early lately? I likes it! :p
Wow... lucky you. That's awesome.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Preordered from the Capcom store over a month ago and my DS has been collecting dust since finishing DQVI so bring it on!! Cuteness overload agogo baby!

TripOpt55 said:
Wow... lucky you. That's awesome.

Yeah, I was shocked. I called to check a trade in value, and they recognized my voice and said "Oh, your copy of Okamiden came in today". I was out the door in 2 minutes flat :p And the best thing? I didn't have time to get sucked into my pokeymans yet, so this gets started TONIGHT. Booyah! :)

matmanx1

Definitely picking this up when it hits but I won't be playing it until I get my 3DS at the end of the month. Why? Because I already sold my DS Lite to a buddy for $75 last month and I am currently DS-less!

Still, I'm pretty pumped about playing this little sucker.

Dash Kappei said:
Why this is coming out now, whyyyy?!
I'm already well past my gaming budget for the month and the something, and even though I know it's criminal that I chose what it's probably gonna been a couple of semi-decent 3Ds games over this one but atm it's more appealing to try things on my shiny new toy -_-

Edit:
Ready at Dawn are talentless hacks now? GTFO nincompoop, geez some people here really don't have a clue. Besides some of the best showpieces for PSP's hardware, they've basically rebuilt Okami from scratch because they couldn't use the code and a shitton of assets, with a team of 10+ people, plus the ending credits removal was Capcom's decision, not theirs... Get your fucking facts straight, you talentless hack of a GAF user.
Why do you people keep making excuses for their terrible port job? It's telling that some of your excuses (i.e. the ones about why they had to remove the end credits) keep contradicting each other. If the odds were really that stacked against them, don't you think common sense would have stepped in and they would realize that porting a game without being able to use any of the original assets or having any input whatsoever from the original developers was a bad idea? I'm not buying that at all. Plus you still haven't accounted for why they shoehorned excessive waggle into a combat system where it had no place, or why they couldn't do something as simple as have the IR tracker account for the tilt angle of the remote so that the pointer would actually follow your movement when the remote isn't tilted perfectly straight, unlike every other Wii game ever made.

I formed the opinion that RaD were talentless hacks when I first played the travesty known as Daxter, and playing their "interpretation" of Okami didn't do anything to change my mind, so nyah.

Hi everyone, newbie here! Didn't think I'd be making my first post in a topic about Okamiden, but there you go.

I got a call from my friend (who works at EB Games) today saying that Okamiden is ready for pickup. Looking at GameFAQs, it seems I'm not the only case. Looks like Canada is getting Okamiden early for some reason?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
nincompoop said:
If the odds were really that stacked against them, don't you think common sense would have stepped in and they would realize that porting a game without being able to use any of the original assets or having any input whatsoever from the original developers was a bad idea?

Oh. So Ready at Dawn, a small, mostly independent developer, should have completely dropped a lucrative contract from Capcom just because it would have been hard work?

Yes. That makes a lot of sense. Obviously, Ready at Dawn should turn down money.

Loved the original, played all the way through it on Wii - many many many hours of awesome fun. Controls were mostly fine, and I actually prefer the nice vibrant colours compared to the paper filter (whatever its called) PS2 thing. :)

Beautiful game, music, graphics, atmosphere, just a joy to run round and love.

Can't wait for the new one, never thought they'd ever make an Okami game again! :D

ZealousD said:
Oh. So Ready at Dawn, a small, mostly independent developer, should have completely dropped a lucrative contract from Capcom just because it would have been hard work?

Yes. That makes a lot of sense. Obviously, Ready at Dawn should turn down money.
It makes about as much sense as Capcom giving them a lucrative contract to port the game and then effectively sabotaging the port by not giving them any of the original code/assets to work with. I'm saying that I don't believe the excuse that Capcom made it that difficult for them in the first place.

Top Bottom