• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics 2024: Summer Games in Paris Official Thread

Alx

I've never seen water polo before - it's just a big fight in a swimming pool. Australia deserved to get beated by Japan purely for this moment:

VjzEu7B.jpeg
From what I’ve been told about the sport, it’s fair game. Whatever happens underwater didn’t happen.

SkylineRKR

Duplantis should be DQ'd for not being human.

This isn't normal. Everyone struggled at 6m. He first secures gold by easily launching over 6m, and then decides to break his own world record too because why not.

Last edited:
Duplantis seriously needs to be handed a broom stick to jump with cause holy shit this guy is just not human.

8 of the previous WR also belong to him 💀

calistan

Duplantis seriously needs to be handed a broom stick to jump with cause holy shit this guy is just not human.

8 of the previous WR also belong to him 💀
Pole vault allows athletes to do that in a way no other event except high jump does. Sergey Bubka used to do the same thing - he set the outdoor world record in 1984 and broke it a further 16 times over the next 10 years.

Increasing the height by 1 cm each time, then stopping, because events and sponsors would offer bonuses for setting a world record. We'll never know what these athletes could have done if they hadn't ended every competition after a another 1 cm increment had been recorded.

Alx

Yep I still call it the "Bubka gambit" whenever someone does the bare minimum to reach his goal while being clearly able do better. ^^

HoodWinked

Pole vault allows athletes to do that in a way no other event except high jump does. Sergey Bubka used to do the same thing - he set the outdoor world record in 1984 and broke it a further 16 times over the next 10 years.

Increasing the height by 1 cm each time, then stopping, because events and sponsors would offer bonuses for setting a world record. We'll never know what these athletes could have done if they hadn't ended every competition after a another 1 cm increment had been recorded.
The guy grabbed the bar on his first attempt causing it to fall, now makes me think it was deliberate to milk the moment.

calistan

Yep I still call it the "Bubka gambit" whenever someone does the bare minimum to reach his goal while being clearly able do better. ^^
It's kind of a shame, because maybe this could have been the one day in his entire career that Duplantis could have cleared 6.50 or something ridiculous. Bubka might even have jumped higher than Duplantis if he'd really gone for it in his prime. We'll never know.

It's so much better when a world record is properly shattered. 1 cm is an improvement but it's so tiny, it lacks that 'holy shit' moment. It's a technical world record.

calistan

You peak at like 14 now in skateboarding.
I'd be terrified of letting my daughter do that. Sky Brown is the only one the British media are interested in, and at the age of 15/16 she has an impressive list of serious injuries - fractured skull, knee surgery, currently skating with a brace on the shoulder she dislocated last week.

calistan

I don't know. I would look at it as not pushing your luck.
No, it's purely for money. Break the record by the smallest possible margin, then go home rather than raise the bar even further. If he carried on and raised it by 20 cm in a single event, that's 20 potential bonuses he'd never get.

calistan

Another sport I've never watched before - this is ridiculous but entertaining, they have to climb a wall via slippery plastic shapes.

It's 5 metres high, and if they fall off, they grab a sponge on a long stick to wipe the sweat off the handholds where they slipped. Can't be too long before we have Olympic Takeshi's Castle.

jEeXdLm.jpeg

Top Bottom