• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i always thought that one piece needs to broken down into compacted into a set number of episodes per season. with breaks between seasons to allow breathing room. that way, less filler is needed, gives teh manga time to develop more material, spend more per episode. fixes all problems.

except maybe the business side doesn't make sense, since it's a show that's on tv every single week.

I think it's just Japan as they seem to not like having breaks or seasons for like all of their shows. The quality of an anime would really jump if they did have breaks but sadly it seems like it would never happen.

Dugna

One Piece seems to be doing remaster episodes of every episode up to davy back fight, so they could just continue that and fix animation issues later on.

Though most avg people really could care less if the anime has a scene or two that look off.

One Piece seems to be doing remaster episodes of every episode up to davy back fight, so they could just continue that and fix animation issues later on.

Though most avg people really could care less if the anime has a scene or two that look off.
that would be nice.

jbug617

Banned
One Piece is always HYPE but I just wanna see this arc end lol. I like it but it's been on too long and wanna see more of the New World. Makes me wonder what the longest arc is in OP since a lot of them seem to drag at some parts here and there.

If I remembering right this arc is really just only a day in real time.

i think everything post time skip adds up to a little over a month, if we're being generous.

tbf, everything pre time skip didn't even add up to a full year!

i think everything post time skip adds up to a little over a month, if we're being generous.

tbf, everything pre time skip didn't even add up to a full year!

Yeah, as much as I liked Merry's farewell scene I couldn't help but think, "Guys. You've been on that boat for, like, three or four months. Calm down."

Harmen

The only thing I do not like about the current events/chapter is that an Admiral is just being lazy in the midst of an entire country going to hell and he is suppossed to be (one of) the strongest present.

Now for some different wall of texts regarding the manga and anime format (separated by enters):

Seeing people complain about the anime and prefer breaks, I also would like to have the traditional manga format go to a monthly issue, giving longer continueous chapters. Sometimes I just feel there are a tad too much buildups to cliffhangers to fit the format (which is why I feel it would still be different than just saving up four weeks every time). And since OP has so many characters and plot threads, I feel it would benefit pacing greatly. Mainly the flashbacks and sidecharacters are less distracting when you do not have to wait a week every time. I love Oda's attention to world building and giving nearly all characters a background, but in the short burst a week format it sometimes makes plot progression feel slow.

I know this will never ever happen and is bad for business, but it is what I would prefer myself.

(And on a sidenote,yes, I will save up chapters going from Dressrosa to fit my preferred format of reading. In fact, it is what I did for the previous 4 arcs, but my Haki was not strong enough to keep myself from reading further after the amazing PH).

As for the anime, I feel the anime could also have been better without doing the breaks. Maybe the anime team having a somewhat canon arc of some side characters in cooperation with Oda (like the film Z, for example). Examples would be small new world Buggy arc, animating one of those front page arcs or more teasing/showing of what certain characters have been doing during the timeskip. And maybe animating a few of those odd OP parody chapters (never tried those, are they fun?). The world of OP is so vast and filled with great characters that there must be a way to not smear out canon material and do some "fillers" that actually add something.

Dressrosa is like two arcs itself. Arena and Birdcage. Comparing it to Water 7 and Enies Lobby.

Yeah, I agree it somewhat feels like two arcs. Alltough Punk Hazard also already felt a bit like the Water 7 to Dressrosa I think.

Squishy3

The only thing I do not like about the current events/chapter is that an Admiral is just being lazy in the midst of an entire country going to hell and he is suppossed to be (one of) the strongest present.

Now for some different wall of texts regarding the manga and anime format (separated by enters):

Seeing people complain about the anime and prefer breaks, I also would like to have the traditional manga format go to a monthly issue, giving longer continueous chapters. Sometimes I just feel there are a tad too much buildups to cliffhangers to fit the format (which is why I feel it would still be different than just saving up four weeks every time). And since OP has so many characters and plot threads, I feel it would benefit pacing greatly. Mainly the flashbacks and sidecharacters are less distracting when you do not have to wait a week every time. I love Oda's attention to world building and giving nearly all characters a background, but in the short burst a week format it sometimes makes plot progression feel slow.

I know this will never ever happen and is bad for business, but it is what I would prefer myself.
Yeah, never gonna happen, unfortunately. It'd be nice if he got the option to do that like Araki got to with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. (Although Steel Ball Run still took 7 years to finish, but it switched from a weekly to a monthly in the middle of its run.)

At least Oda doesn't feel laughably incompetent sometimes like the anime does. Really not looking forward to the 10 minutes that lasts for a month in the anime. They're gonna be pushing that birdcage for a long time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Setup for arcs in OP is (mostly) always segmented.

Whiskey Peak/Little Garden/Drum/Arabasta

Jaya/Skypiea

Davy Back

Water 7/Sea Train/Enies Lobby

Sabaody

Amazon Lily/Impel Down/Marineford

Return to Sabaody/Fishman Island

Punk Hazard/Dressrosa Arena/Dressrosa vs. Doflamingo Family

Obviously, some of those aren't really official arcs, but they take up a large space in the story and feel significantly different than preceding and successive events.

I do wonder if the "Doflamingo Saga" is the longest in the series, though.

cntr

Banned
Random thought. In One Piece's earlier time, Oda said he'd like to do a mecha manga after finishing One Piece.

Not going to happen now, but I think Oda might transfer the ideas to One Piece for the Vegapunk arc, which sounds like the perfect place to feature crazy technology.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Random thought. In One Piece's earlier time, Oda said he'd like to do a mecha manga after finishing One Piece.

Not going to happen now, but I think Oda might transfer the ideas to One Piece for the Vegapunk arc, which sounds like the perfect place to feature crazy technology.

Franky_Shogun_Infobox.png

It's been built up for a while. Hell, there's also the Pacifistas.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
There's a filler arc right after Skypia that was legitimately awesome
I'm right at aokiji's first appearance in the anime, so I Just watched G8 for the first time. it was great and would fit right in with the manga

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Isn't Afro Luffy canon?
As I recall, the Canon davy back fight was the donut race, groggy ring, and combat rounds. The skating, red light/green lighat, and dodge ball rounds were all filler. the donut race also had more participants in the anime - sanji, zoro, and Luffy didn't compete in the manga since participants could only be in 1 game each.

As I recall, the Canon davy back fight was the donut race, groggy ring, and combat rounds. The skating, red light/green lighat, and dodge ball rounds were all filler. the donut race also had more participants in the anime - sanji, zoro, and Luffy didn't compete in the manga since participants could only be in 1 game each.

Correct. I never saw the anime, but the manga has a race on sea 3 vs 3, a "ball game" on land 2 vs 3 and then the 1 vs 1 showdown.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
G8 was the only good filler arc.

Squishy3

What are you guys talking about, clearly the Warship Island arc is the best filler arc, with the Ocean's Dream arc being a close second.

Millennial Dragons are cool, aren't they? Aren't they? Toei seems to think so.

Dugna

I think it's more that the filler in most situations in One Piece mostly feels right, except those movie tie ins that's. It usually took them days maybe weeks to get island to island so having a small adventure inbetween isn't that unlikely. It definitely isn't the nightmare that was the DBZ movies and Cell Games.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What are you guys talking about, clearly the Warship Island arc is the best filler arc, with the Ocean's Dream arc being a close second.

Millennial Dragons are cool, aren't they? Aren't they? Toei seems to think so.
Those arc even the worst filler. Try watching the Strong World and Z's ambition filler. That'll make you miss Ocean's Dream!

dani_dc

G8 was enjoyable, but it still felt like it was dragging at points, the idea overall was good though.

You could tell which ones were fillers and which ones weren't just from the pacing of it.

Harmen

G8 was great and worked well after Skypeia. It works when the anime does a fun and unique arc or episode in between (instead of replicating the epicness of an Oda arc and falling flat/not fitting in the OP world).

True, it would be more difficult at this stage, but the character interactions and humor is something some fillers nailed as far as I can remember. And the OP-light rescue arcs never really worked.

Some here were saying they kind of miss some of the lighthearted adventure style fun early on, fillers could add that (and since OP's world is so damn big, they can easily use stuff from Oda and ask him for a bit extra details to give it a bit of relevance).

http://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/371pwi/what_do_you_dislike_about_op_what_do_you_think_is/

Thought this thread was going to just be a place for whiny complaints but some decent valid criticisms of our beloved Oda. To be fair, I do think anime watchers are more critical because, well, they really aren't experiencing One Piece, but some of the more reasonable negatives are shared by me, thought it might be interesting as we get ready for this arc to end.

My top three complaints are indeed minor, but they do get annoying sometimes. 1) No one dies. And then when someone finally does, it's Ace! 2) Haki was cooler before it was Haki. Black fist as a visualization simply doesn't resonate with me at all in the anime unless all the animation is done like the Z movie. It's much more tolerable in the manga, but still, it doesn't feel as great as Luffy blowing Air into himself to blast off, conducting electricity in a ball of gold etc... And the visualization not being in effect at Marine Ford was very noticeable 3) Good fortune was cool when Luffy got saved by daddy, but sometime it just feels like a huge plot co-op. Honestly, I'd rather Luffy just get power-ups from standard shonen tropes like protecting his friends, loss of loved ones, will power, determination etc...It's still awesome if done right, that's why the techniques are emulated by so many writers. The crew just getting lucky all the time feels like they shouldn't even be in the top spot, I hope Oda stops it.

aechris

http://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/371pwi/what_do_you_dislike_about_op_what_do_you_think_is/

Thought this thread was going to just be a place for whiny complaints but some decent valid criticisms of our beloved Oda. To be fair, I do think anime watchers are more critical because, well, they really aren't experiencing One Piece, but some of the more reasonable negatives are shared by me, thought it might be interesting as we get ready for this arc to end.

It's been discussed in this thread before, but Oda's made the female characters so weak and fanservicey it's almost unbearable. I hate everything about Nami, Robin, Rebecca, Shirahoshi, etc. since the time skip. I am crazy hesitant to have my daughter watch OP if she wants because of how women are portrayed. It was bad in spots (Nami/Kalifa in Enies Lobby, Nami at Thriller Bark) before, but it's terrible now.

I don't mind almost everything else mentioned in that Reddit thread or any of the complaints I normally hear. Just the females thing, man.

cntr

Banned
Random thought.

Nami manages to harm Luffy with her punches, and this seems to be a gag...until Garp and later haki show up.

Luffy's clothes expand along with him, and it seems like an excuse to keep him from being naked all the time...and now we find out about Awakening.

Random thought.

Nami manages to harm Luffy with her punches, and this seems to be a gag...until Garp and later haki show up.

Luffy's clothes expand along with him, and it seems like an excuse to keep him from being naked all the time...and now we find out about Awakening.

The clothes being rubber is just Oda's way of preventing nudity in the manga. He said that in an interview that all Devil Fruit users powers would accomodate for their clothing to not make the manga have excessive nudity,

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Random thought.

I'm sure Nami will get armament Haki. Oda really likes creating retroactive foreshadowing by legitimizing a gag or random power up. Plus it would be weird if Nami was left out of the Haki group considering Usopp made it in. It would break up the little duo they have going. And Nami gets it then the crew would have even numbers of both Haki types.

The clothing is just a suspension of disbelief thing that will never get explained.

Random thought.

It was a gag with Garp as well. He says it was a fist full of love, which always feels.

And lol, the clothes are that way so he's not naked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom