• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's a little easier in the this arc. Considering lots of events were happening at the same time.

Just seems like a ton of information and characters were dumped upon the readers so far in this Arc. And some of the information we haven't gotten total answer to yet.

I just think Rebecca is an absolute bullshit character through and through.

I don't expect them to harm Dofla, no. But it feels like Oda literally threw these characters in front of Doflamingo to give Luffy some ladies to save as he recovered.

My problem is the situation, not Doflamingo beating characters he would obviously beat. Rebecca feels like every single Oda trope I dislike shoved into the same character and any scene she has pisses me off more.
He could've at least had her use her amazing dodging skills to avoid the parasite or something. Anything to make me feel like there's a bit of a character arc beyond "boo hoo im a damsel".

It pisses me off, pisses me off, pisses me off.

Rebecca's message to the audience is clear: "Beautiful women should not be fighters. When they try to be, they are liabilities to the men who bloody their hands to protect them."

Before this arc concludes, likely during the post-victory celebration, Rebecca will trade in her armor for a pretty, frilly princess dress. And then she'll be happy and Oda will have cemented his immensely contemptible message to his readers.

I love One Piece, but I'd never let my kids read it because of this exact garbage.

Diablos54

Didn't Rebecca win her round in the tournament without actually hurting anyone or am I remembering wrong? It's not like that would be an easy thing to do either. If anything that would be harder.

And yea, the women in OP aren't always the best represented. But I think people are forgetting things like Hancock, Amazon Lily and Big Mom. Robin and Nami haven't had a proper fight in way too long yea, but it's not like they're usless either, the SH's would be screwed without them.

Rebecca's message to the audience is clear: "Beautiful women should not be fighters. When they try to be, they are liabilities to the men who bloody their hands to protect them."

Before this arc concludes, likely during the post-victory celebration, Rebecca will trade in her armor for a pretty, frilly princess dress. And then she'll be happy and Oda will have cemented his immensely contemptible message to his readers.

I love One Piece, but I'd never let my kids read it because of this exact garbage.

This post is beyond stupid for many reasons .

Nope she gotta be harden because "tropes".

Nice reductionist argument. The issues with Rebecca aren't just "tropes", they're the fact that her narrative role is transparent as all hell in a very bad way.

She honestly reminds me of the worst elements in Fairy Tail, I had to quit reading that manga cause the use of narrative devices felt like cheap audience manipulation rather than a halfway decent crafted story.

Before this arc concludes, likely during the post-victory celebration, Rebecca will trade in her armor for a pretty, frilly princess dress.

Well this is a given, lol.

Might elaborate on why?

Might elaborate on why?

Never let your kids read it because of this, even if you yourself enjoy it? I mean the portrayal is problematic but to that degree? I struggle to think of another action manga that I would recommend to children than One Piece.

Hell I'd sooner hesitate to show my children early Dragonball with its Roshi shenanigans (and nudity) than One Piece's almost Looney Toons-esque views of romance.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Didn't Rebecca win her round in the tournament without actually hurting anyone or am I remembering wrong? It's not like that would be an easy thing to do either. If anything that would be harder.

And yea, the women in OP aren't always the best represented. But I think people are forgetting things like Hancock, Amazon Lily and Big Mom. Robin and Nami haven't had a proper fight in way too long yea, but it's not like they're usless either, the SH's would be screwed without them.

That's her fighting style. Trick opponents into falling out of the ring as her father taught her not to hurt people. Her powerful Observation Haki allowed her to avoid taking hits.

And yeah, Nami & Robin haven't had fights, but Nami is the navigator and they would have died ages ago without her.
Robin is really more a support member much like Usopp. Plus she serves as the Exposition Master. Providing the audience the lore and background during pivotal moments.
Every crew member serves their purpose.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I get the qualms about female characters; I always do, but it's getting to the point that anything a girl does or doesn't do gets heavily criticized. The only way to make a difference is to not support the manga. I'm contemplating taking a multi-month break just so it doesn't hurt to read the slowness.

Basically, it's getting a bit old. We've had this argument with the same points multiple times already.

I get the qualms about female characters; I always do, but it's getting to the point that anything a girl does or doesn't do gets heavily criticized. The only way to make a difference is to not support the manga. I'm contemplating taking a multi-month break just so it doesn't hurt to read the slowness.

Basically, it's getting a bit old. We've had this argument with the same points multiple times already.

Well I would start a discussion about One Piece and racial portrayal instead but...

sorry, lol.

That'd be a welcome change of pace at this point, haha.

One%20Piece%20-%20314%20-%2003.png

That's all I got.
(I actually can't tell for a lot of OP characters if they're supposed to be a different ethnicity or what, as his color spreads seem to generally only use one skin tone & a lot of his faces are just .. weird. So I don't really bother.)

Might elaborate on why?

You not going let you children read OP because of one female character being useless compare to everything else that in it .
There both useless male and female characters in the manga .
Expecting anyone but luffy to take down the main villain makes no sense .

EDIT in this chapter we had both a good and bad female characters depending on you view.

You not going let you children read OP because of one female character being useless compare to everything else that in it .

I don't think it's just Rebecca they have an issue with, more so what she represents in the greater narrative.

And I don't think anyone who has issues with Rebecca is wanting her to take down Doflamingo.
Heck the only non-Luffy character I'd accept delivering the final blow is Law. Doesn't mean I like how Rebecca lost. There's respectable and shitty ways to make characters lose a fight.

ffdgh

That's all I got.
(I actually can't tell for a lot of OP characters if they're supposed to be a different ethnicity or what, as his color spreads seem to generally only use one skin tone & a lot of his faces are just .. weird. So I don't really bother.)

Lol wut? That never worked for me.

I don't think it's just Rebecca they have an issue with, more so what she represents in the greater narrative.

And I don't think anyone who has issues with Rebecca is wanting her to take down Doflamingo.
Heck the only non-Luffy character I'd accept delivering the final blow is Law. Doesn't mean I like how Rebecca lost. There's respectable and shitty ways to make characters lose a fight.

This is don we are talking about here what would have been respectable ?
Lets look at his fight so far
Beat smoker and then sit on his bleeding body .
Beat Sanji and then went to chop him in half .
Beat law then shoot him while he on the ground.
Beat bellamy and then control him .
Beat law again and chop off his arm while shooting him some more on the ground .

In this chapter at least Viola try but expecting anything from rebecca made no sense vs don .
This a guy that controls VAs and a WB commander this is what i expect from him .

Beat law again and chop off his arm while shooting him some more on the ground .

In this chapter at least Viola try but expecting anything from rebeeca made no sense vs don .

I'm not talking about respect from Doflamingo, I'm talking about it from the pov of the narrative.

Early on in Dressrosa we were led to believe Rebecca was this nimble dodger with some level of observation haki. (even avoiding Hakuba's ridiculous speed, something that easily took out even some of Dofla's high tier fighters.)
Despite this fact all we get is Rebecca getting pushed around & needing protection/rescue a whole bunch.

If you go back to her introduction, what was her title? "The undefeatable woman". Definitely feels like a massive tell don't show issue as the story progressed.

In this chapter at least Viola try but expecting anything from rebecca made no sense vs don .
This a guy that controls VAs and a WB commander this is what i expect from him .
See, the wonderful thing about fiction is that it doesn't have to follow what would seem the 'logical' path. Just because Flamingo has beaten all those other characters, doesn't mean he needs to beat another one. If all we followed was "oh well look he beat this other guy, therefore..." Luffy would be dead and buried.

See, the wonderful thing about fiction is that it doesn't have to follow what would seem the 'logical' path. Just because Flamingo has beaten all those other characters, doesn't mean he needs to beat another one. If all we followed was "oh well look he beat this other guy, therefore..." Luffy would be dead and buried.

I would've actually liked it if Oda played around with Rebecca's ridiculous dodging skills but her inability to actually hit someone.

Having her dodge all of Doflamingo's threads & his parasite attack, but when it comes down to it being unable to land the necessary strike on the person she most hates in the world (and essentially getting caught by him due to her hestitation) would've made sense with what we've learned about her fighting style & the fact that despite being forced to fight, her not really being a killer when it comes down to it.

Instead we got her pulling a fairly unnecessary "deer in the headlight" scene that literally adds nothing to the story or her narrative.

At least if she'd get a shot at Dofla and can't do it, that gives us a new insight into her.

I would've actually liked it if Oda played around with Rebecca's ridiculous dodging skills but her inability to actually hit someone.

Having her dodge all of Doflamingo's threads & his parasite attack, but when it comes down to it being unable to land the necessary strike on the person she most hates in the world (and essentially getting caught by him due to her hestitation) would've made sense with what we've learned about her fighting style & the fact that despite being forced to fight, her not really being a killer when it comes down to it.

Instead we got her pulling a fairly unnecessary "deer in the headlight" scene that literally adds nothing to the story or her narrative.

At least if she'd get a shot at Dofla and can't do it, that gives us a new insight into her.
Yeah, I agree. the scene was so lacking in impact I actually just glanced over it initially. Honestly this whole arch has had some major ups and downs.

As far as Rebecca goes, it would have been nice to see her having more impact on this whole 'countdown' thing Oda had going on, though honestly I think the speech-over-intercom thing was pretty awesome.

EDIT in this chapter we had both a good and bad female characters depending on you view.

General: Oda went from drawing unique-looking, but still beautiful women to making every lady an hourglass with a pencil-thin waist and enormous breasts. Even the anime-averse Giant Bomb crew commented on how tasteless they looked. Women are also never beaten up for slapstick purposes, because apparently hot women aren't meant to be laughed at.

Rebecca is the most useless out of a cast filled with lame women. Her dead mother did more to help against Diamante then she did.

Nami hasn't had a real fight in ages, beats her own crew up more than she beats up enemies.

Tashigi got crapped all over in the last arc by Zoro for trying to contribute.

Boa Hancock is an immensely powerful warlord who was defeated by love.

Sanji and Zoro both champion extremely chauvinistic chivalry, despite the fact that the latter was inspired to become the best swordsman by a girl.

etc

The only cool ones are Kuina, who died off panel and whose legacy has been tarnished by Zoro's sudden resistance to treating female opponents as equals, Robin, who also hasn't fought much lately and suffers from Oda's spontaneous breast enhancement, and Bell-mere, who also died in a flashback and whose legacy has also been tarnished because Nami isn't anywhere near the badass that she was.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lets not resort to petty insults.
That's all I got.
Funny enough, this is just a huge mistranslation. Usopp is actually referencing a famous Japanese boxer who had a signature afro.

I'm not talking about respect from Doflamingo, I'm talking about it from the pov of the narrative.

Early on in Dressrosa we were led to believe Rebecca was this nimble dodger with some level of observation haki. (even avoiding Hakuba's ridiculous speed, something that easily took out even some of Dofla's high tier fighters.)

Despite this fact all we get is Rebecca getting pushed around & needing protection/rescue a whole bunch.

Her doing that does not change who Don is and what he has done .
A character like don should not have to be wasting his time on her and him wanting her to kill a famliy member is perfectly in character and the narrative.

Now i can understand you don't like that oda made her be in parts where she needed saving so much
But she was outclass where every she went sort like luffy during the war when he got save countless times.
But of course luffy was beating fodder during that time and not crying .

It being fiction or not it still has to make sense plot wise .
You and Neoriceisgood are asking for don to be nerf just to make rebecca look good while she still fails .

One I'm missing on your list that I've sorta noticed:

a significant portion of the "stronger" female characters in the narrative relied on instant KO or lock down powers;

Kalifa, Nico Robin, Perona, Hancock, Sugar, Jora, Violet, Hina, Miss Goldenweek, Jewelry Bonny, I'm probably missing a few.

Even the ones that don't primarily rely on lock down or KO seem to quickly switch to those types of moves when they do fight, e.g. Vivi's perfume or Monet freezing Luffy.

Obviously there's examples of this on the male side as well, but there's actually extremely few not-cheap high level female fighters in OP from what we've seen.
(The most significant ones to get worthwhile fights probably being miss merry christmas, miss valentine and miss doublefinger; who all were confronted by relatively low tier fighters on the SH crew)

Lets not resort to petty insults.

Funny enough, this is just a huge mistranslation. Usopp is actually referencing a famous Japanese boxer who had a signature afro.

Yeah I figured, I mostly posted that as a joke. (old translations for OP get weird sometimes.)

Her doing that does not change who Don is and what he has done .
A character like don should not have to be wasting his time on her and him wanting her to kill a famliy member is perfectly in character and the narrative.

Now i can understand you don't like that oda made her be in parts where she needed saving so much
But she was outclass where every she went sort like luffy during the war when he got save countless times.
But of course luffy was beating fodder during that time and not crying .

That's the thing though ... she was introduced to us as the unbeaten champion/untouchable fighter in Dressrosa's colliseum, trained by Kyros himself.

I feel her entire narrative feels contrary and outright repetitive at times.

You and Neoriceisgood are asking for don to be nerf just to make rebecca look good while she still fails .

Nobody wants Rebecca to look good, we want her to not exist at all. We want Oda to cross out every appearance she's ever made in time for the volume releases and write a little note in her place, saying: "Oh wow, creating a female fighter whose whole purpose is to discourage females from fighting was a terrible idea. Sorry!" (This is sarcasm, but barely.)

In an industry where Morgiana (Magi), Revy (Black Lagoon), Motoko (Ghost in the Shell), and Mikasa (Attack on Titan) exist, I expect more out of female characters and don't consider the whole "Japan is inherently sexist" excuse to be valid anymore.

What what? When has Nami lived up to her mother's reputation as a crude, tough badass? Bell-mere's personality would've been way cooler for Nami than the do-nothing, friend-beating, awkwardly-moralistic gold digger we ended up with.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You realize the result would be the same if it was Kyros trying to fight Doflamingo right?
It was going to end with Luffy recovering either way.
But the problem is that it's Rebecca and Viola needing to be saved for the 100th time. If they were replaced with the King, the scene would have played out far better. But Oda simply resorted to another damsel in distress scenario to build up hype that didn't need building up. Hence the combined complaints of padding and sexism.

That's the thing though ... she was introduced to us as the unbeaten champion/untouchable fighter in Dressrosa's colliseum, trained by Kyros himself.

I feel her entire narrative feels contrary and outright repetitive at times.

That got her wins by ring out and was beaten by luffy while he was eating a bento .
The same Kyros you talking about had to be save by luffy from getting his head chop off.
This is don we are talking about one of the strongest characters we has seen in the series .

But the problem is that it's Rebecca and Viola needing to be saved for the 100th time. If they were replaced with the King, the scene would have played out far better. But Oda simply resorted to another damsel in distress scenario to build up hype that didn't need building up. Hence the combined complaints of padding and sexism.

Luffy was saved in the war arc more time than Rebecca and Viola put together .

Have I not literally explained to you three times that this is not what I want?

I honestly feel you people don't read my posts at all.

That got her wins by ring out and was beaten by luffy while he was eating a bento .
The same Kyros you talking about had to be save by luffy from getting his head chop off.
This is don we are talking about one of the strongest characters we has seen in the series .

Plenty of characters have managed to catch Doflamingo off-guard or avoided his parasite strings, but I guess you'll reduce whatever I say to "omg you want doflamingo nerfedd!!!!!!" so I'm not sure if there's any point in trying to communicate my point to you at all.

Have I not literallyexplained to you three times that this is not what I want?

I can understand your point
You don't like rebecca being save so much or that oda putting her in plot points where it need to happen so many times without her doing anything or crying.

My point is her doing it vs don would have been worst time to show her off.
Maybe before maybe after but not vs don .

Have I not literally explained to you three times that this is not what I want?

Plenty of characters have managed to catch Doflamingo off-guard or avoided his parasite strings, but I guess you'll reduce whatever I say to "omg you want doflamingo nerfedd!!!!!!" so I'm not sure if there's any point in trying to communicate my point to you at all.

Which characters have avoid parasite and who other than law or luffy caught him off guard with a teleport move.

Dugna

General: Oda went from drawing unique-looking, but still beautiful women to making every lady an hourglass with a pencil-thin waist and enormous breasts. Even the anime-averse Giant Bomb crew commented on how tasteless they looked. Women are also never beaten up for slapstick purposes, because apparently hot women aren't meant to be laughed at.

Just in the past few years or so from the end of fishman to now. Dressrosa has been stupidly diverse with it's characters all around including the women.

Nobody wants Rebecca to look good, we want her to not exist at all. We want Oda to cross out every appearance she's ever made in time for the volume releases and write a little note in her place, saying: "Oh wow, creating a female fighter whose whole purpose is to discourage females from fighting was a terrible idea. Sorry!" (This is sarcasm, but barely.)

In an industry where Morgiana (Magi), Revy (Black Lagoon), Motoko (Ghost in the Shell), and Mikasa (Attack on Titan) exist, I expect more out of female characters and don't consider the whole "Japan is inherently sexist" excuse to be valid anymore.

So you are comparing a side character who going to be there for one arc vs MC for other series .
I can understand you being piss that robin and nami have not done much since the skip time and i agree with that .

Which characters have avoid parasite and who other than law or luffy caught him off guard with a teleport move.

1. I think it was anime only, but we've seen Fujitora avoid it through observation haki or something. But blatantly put: Doflamingo hasn't succesfully used Parasite on any named character but a heavily beaten up Bellamy, has he?

If observation haki is the major reason someone like Luffy or Law hasn't been parasited yet, it's kinda silly for him to parasite someone like Viola or Rebecca that easily. As they both posess skills that should technically aid them in avoiding parasite. (observation DF & observation haki)

A significant number of strawhat members & fighters during this arc have shown fewer signs of observation haki than Rebecca, so Doflamingo controlling her that easily causes issues with me regarding his seeming inability to parasite the more powerful gladiators/fighters during the dressrosa arc.
(especially cause during the war he parasited one of Whitebeard's higher ups, so it can't just be an issue with controlling powerful people)

2. Sanji definitely threw Doflamingo off with a very very long distance approach. Despite doflamingo's solid armament & killing skills he's clearly not someone with amazing observation haki.

So you are comparing a side character who going to be there for one arc vs MC for other series .
I can understand you being piss that robin and nami have not done much since the skip time and i agree with that .

For me the issue is that Rebecca might be the first OP character I legitimately hate in every single imaginable way, and I find that a troublesome development.

Dartastic

I can't believe this arc might just reach 100 chapters. It's already the longest arc yet with 90 chapters (previous record was Skypeia's 66) and we are only 4 chapters away from this being the longest story saga yet (current record is Water 7's saga of Davy Back + Water 7 + Enies Lobby at 139 chapters). So it's not too surprising that this arc is starting to get the same common complaints Skypeia gets.
Thanks for answering my question! I KNEW it felt super long.

Hey now, I didn't say that lol

Oh whoops, I accidentally multiquoted and must've removed the wrong part.

my apologies. ^^:

I can't believe this arc might just reach 100 chapters. It's already the longest arc yet with 90 chapters (previous record was Skypeia's 66) and we are only 4 chapters away from this being the longest story saga yet (current record is Water 7's saga of Davy Back + Water 7 + Enies Lobby at 139 chapters). So it's not too surprising that this arc is starting to get the same common complaints Skypeia gets.

Yeah that's where this arc's issues start bugging me more, they just get tedious when an arc is this looong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom