• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I missed Koala like a lot of people I guess.

At this point I think the worst thing that Oda could do to mess with us is casually reintroduce a Skypiea character that isn't Enel.

Let's see...I'd remember Clovis and her dad. Wiper and the little girl...and that's about it! Oh the old lady who took pictures and of course the Sky Knight.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Let's see...I'd remember Clovis and her dad. Wiper and the little girl...and that's about it! Oh the old lady who took pictures and of course the Sky Knight.

Apparently you don't remember her well enough because her name is Conis.

Squishy3

Oh, there's another Toei goof to add to the list. Last episode ended with Doffy putting down birdcage on the island where the Ope-Ope deal was going down but they showed child X-Drake running out of the inn his dad and his pirates are in with the scar on his chin and they haven't even shown him running through the birdcage yet.

not as bad as kyros walking on two legs, of course

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I recognized who Koala was in an instant, and a cool touch that she became a Fishman Karate master after her experience with Fisher Tiger's crew.

She's also one of the reasons NOT to skip Fishman Island. Another is Shirahoshi's likely future involvement as one of the Three Weapons.

I recognized who Koala was in an instant, and a cool touch that she became a Fishman Karate master after her experience with Fisher Tiger's crew.

She's also one of the reasons NOT to skip Fishman Island. Another is Shirahoshi's likely future involvement as one of the Three Weapons.

And another is that it's the only Post-timeskip arc that has all the Straw Hats in one place kicking ass side by side and also for the realization that Noah posed no threat at all because if it became apparent that the barrage of Elephant guns couldn't destroy it before it hit Fishman Island, then Luffy could've just used Gear Fourth to King Kong Gun it out of existence.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fishman Island was awesome. It gets hated on a lot but it's one of my favorite arcs
...along with Skypiea, I guess I'd be a One Piece hipster if I didn't also love the well-loved arcs (Marineford, Dressrosa, Arabasta, etc.)
for the reasons listed above. There was so much plot relevance, and it was great to see them finally get there after it being their initial destination since the Sabaody arc.

I love how a big part of the plot of Fishman Island is started by shenanigans. Like you've got the shit going on with the other Strawhats and the king and then Zoro knocks everyone out and takes them hostage and then meanwhile Luffy is all like; 'Hey Shirahoshi, wanna go for a walk.' And then he comes up with a way to smuggle Shirahoshi out of the palace and you get that panel of him with his arms out wide and a fucking grin on his facw, I was just laughing the whole time.

Big One

Banned
That would be fucking awesome.

I think we've gotten an update from every villainous/opposing group in OP (like they've returned in some way) except the Krieg Pirates. Could be wrong. Let's find out.

Foxy Pirates. But who cares about them.
The Foxy Pirates will be back. Remember when Robin mentioned how Davy Back Fight comes from Pirate Island? It's going to be in the New World and it'll be a 100 chapter arc and the Foxy Pirates will get a tragic backstory that will make everyone cry and love them.

How else is Luffy going to become Yonkou after Shanks dies? Have a pirate tournament, of course!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Foxy Pirates will be back. Remember when Robin mentioned how Davy Back Fight comes from Pirate Island? It's going to be in the New World and it'll be a 100 chapter arc and the Foxy Pirates will get a tragic backstory that will make everyone cry and love them.

How else is Luffy going to become Yonkou after Shanks dies? Have a pirate tournament, of course!

No Luffy's crew is going to compete with Shank's in a davy back fight.

Usopp vs Yasopp in a target practice competition. :eek:

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Davy Back Fights (and everything from that arc) will only come back in context when Davy Back himself finally appears.

Haha, all these talks on who remembers who. Am I the only one around here that remembers pretty much every character? I've read every arc so many times throughout the years that I not only know every character but know the exact timelines and events of every arc. And yet I'm still re-reading, lol.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Davy Back was a unique (and great) arc in the manga. Does the afro make the man, or does the man make the afro?

afro_luffy_by_plasma_d_franky.jpg

I think it's the only arc in the anime where they legit added filler to a canon story arc. I'm grateful that it only happened once, and if it was going to be any arc Davy Back is the best one to put it in, but still...

The anime adds filler to pretty much every story arc, but Davy Back was the one with a really big amount of filler.
Yeah, I mean they even went so far as to alter the fights and add more, and also change the sequence with Aokiji as a result. Series like Bleach are notorious for doing stuff like that, but OP tends to keep its filler stories relatively self-contained aside from this one arc, where it's smack dab in the middle and even integrated into the story. I guess Logue Town and Water 7 have that too, as well as mostly every arc to a lesser extent, but it was really noticeable in DBF because it came in the middle of the action instead of an in between or downtime period.

GaimeGuy

The Boat Race, the Groggy Ring, and the Boxing Match were the canon davy back events. I think they were the 1st, 2nd, and 6th events. roller derby, dodgeball, and red light green light were filler.

And not everyone competed in the boat race like in the anime.

Chariot

Oh, I really would love to see a ragtag bunch of formerly minor enemies appearing as their own crew inspired by the strawhats. I dream in general of the day where Luffy has a big extended crew like Whitebeard made of crew and people he met, helped and inspired.

Kornflayx

Oh, I really would love to see a ragtag bunch of formerly minor enemies appearing as their own crew inspired by the strawhats. I dream in general of the day where Luffy has a big extended crew like Whitebeard made of crew and people he met, helped and inspired.

Oh it's gonna happen. When that final war happens, Luffy's gonna ride in with the biggest fleet you've ever seen.

Oda has already said, that Marineford was just a little taste of what the final battle will be.

Chariot

Oh it's gonna happen. When that final war happens, Luffy's gonna ride in with the biggest fleet you've ever seen.

Oda has already said, that Marineford was just a little taste of what the final battle will be.
Yeah, I just want to have the fleet fromed naturally and not just appear in the big finale. Show that people get together, form crews and follow Luffys path. Make some franchise pirates that have their own flag that incorparetes the strawhates. Like the colonies have the british flag in their flag.

Big One

Banned
Just saw a theory online that blew my mind.

Brook is Aokiji's grandfather.

- They genuinely have the same appearance. Even same faces in the series like Nami and Rebecca have several differences (mainly the hair) that make them distinct. Brook is as tall as Aokiji, has the same facial structure, and has the same hair style. The only difference is that Aokiji is bulkier, which he SHOULD be since he used to be in the Marines.
- Brook's elemental affinity is Ice.
- Brook died TWO YEARS before Aokiji was born

The only major difference is that Brook has a very regal appearance, while Aokiji as a child has been depicted as being poor.

That's because after Brook passed away, his home island got destroyed by pirates. This is why Aokiji is so sympathetic towards Robin. It's because they parallel each other, and because his island was destroyed like Ohara. The only difference ism Aokiji's island was destroyed by pirates, and the Marines saved him instead (kind of like what they did with X-Drake).

This could also explain how Aokiji doesn't know Brook is his grandfather. He never got a chance to meet him, perhaps never got a chance to ever be told about him.

All this is a theory but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true in some capacity.

Damn, never heard that one before. It's presented in a believable way, but I doubt it. We probably would've known if Brook had children, although of course he could've had an "accidental" child. Even still, it seems like a pointless connection.

Big One

Banned
Damn, never heard that one before. It's presented in a believable way, but I doubt it. We probably would've known if Brook had children, although of course he could've had an "accidental" child. Even still, it seems like a pointless connection.
We actually know very little of Brook's past. We know what happened to his pirate crew, and that's it. Everything else is up to speculation.

So it's possible he has a family, or just did what Roger did with Ace's mom, lol.

Salbug

- They genuinely have the same appearance. Even same faces in the series like Nami and Rebecca have several differences (mainly the hair) that make them distinct. Brook is as tall as Aokiji, has the same facial structure, and has the same hair style. The only difference is that Aokiji is bulkier, which he SHOULD be since he used to be in the Marines.

The only major difference is that Brook has a very regal appearance, while Aokiji as a child has been depicted as being poor.

That's because after Brook passed away, his home island got destroyed by pirates. This is why Aokiji is so sympathetic towards Robin. It's because they parallel each other, and because his island was destroyed like Ohara. The only difference ism Aokiji's island was destroyed by pirates, and the Marines saved him instead (kind of like what they did with X-Drake).

This could also explain how Aokiji doesn't know Brook is his grandfather. He never got a chance to meet him, perhaps never got a chance to ever be told about him.

It honestly doesn't sound too farfetched to be honest, but you'd think with Brook possibly having a spouse that Kuzan, or his parents would eventually ask about him unless she never talked about him after he died.

Them having a similar appearance can't be a mere coincidence though.

I was reading Thriller Bark and Brook mentions that he was a "Convoy Leader" for a "certain Kingdom" before becoming a pirate.

So there is definitely more to Brook that will be revealed in future.

Big One

Banned
I was reading Thriller Bark and Brook mentions that he was a "Convoy Leader" for a "certain Kingdom" before becoming a pirate.

So there is definitely more to Brook that will be revealed in future.
Honestly I think before this manga ends we'll get to know the Strawhats a bit better and/or we'll get a development that shifts their character in some way or form.

Nami might've already got hers in Fishman Island, considering she forgave the Fishmen even after being tormented by them as a child. Plus in that arc we discover there was more to Arlong's hatred towards humans rather than simply being pure evil, creating some depth there.

We still don't know all that much about Zoro and Sanji's past either.

Usopp has his relationship with Yasopp that needs to be explored as well.

Chopper it's hard to gauge, but I wouldn't be surprised if his major development is falling in love with that deer as his end-game.

Robin has links to the Revolutionaries we don't know about as well plus a lot of her criminal past went unexplored.

And on Franky's end we do not know how in the world Tom even got those blueprints to Pluton.

The problem with that theory is that it relies on the notion that young Brook and young Kuzan look vaguely similar. Everything else isn't tied together enough to make it plausible.

Squishy3

Brook was never actually a human and is Kuzan's skeleton that Kuzan decided he no longer needed after he became an ice person.

In short Brook is a skeleton that got fed the reincarnation fruit by Vegapunk. We've seen inanimate objects (Spandam's sword) get fed devil fruits, what's so ridiculous about a skeleton coming to life via eating the reincarnation fruit?

i'm done don't hate me i just thought of this and ran with it, doesn't make sense with brook's backstory anyway

Dudes, Brook's back story is already incredibly sad and tragic, are we going to get a sad "had a family too that he left because of reasons"? I wager no, because if he does have a living family, he clearly values a whale above them all, so his potential family is probably not too important to him, and the connection to Kuzan is pointless as they would have no feelings for each other at all since they've never even met.

Chariot

Damn, I can dig it.

Pluton was built at Water 7 and the blueprints were passed down to each new generation of the most senior shipwright as they were the ones who were able to use them.

Nami, Zoro, Sanji and Franky all have an adventurous lack of parents. Probably the most significant flash back here is Nami since we know about the extreme situation she was found in and because Belle-mere is also an important character so the situation that left her wanting to die is also there. People have all sorts of fan theories about Sanji being a prince and the most important character in the series because of his parents but there really isn't much to actually go on in the manga.

I guess that Brook, Kuzan and Lafitte all trace their origins back to the same west blue kingdom. The "certain island" phrasing is odd though since the story isn't likely to move forward to a west blue island unless there is a major flashback planned. If doesn't seem likely that the certain island is Ohara which is the only west blue island we have really seen. If Brook was originally on a mission for Ohara it would explain why he doesn't just drop the name.

GaimeGuy

all the pirates from dressrosa will show up. Whitebeard's crew will show up. Whitebeard's alliance will show up. Fishman pirates will show up, possibly even Arlong (remember the island is kind of under luffy's protection now). Gin will probably show up. The restaurant Baratie will show up. The flying fish riders will show up. The Kuja pirates will show up. Galley-la and the franky family will show up. The Giant Warrior Pirates (Dorry, Broggy, Oimo, Kashi, and we'll probably meet the rest of their crew at Elbaf) will show up. The Rolling Pirates and other members of the Thriller Bark Victim's Association will show up. The Alabastan armed forces will show up. The Drum Kingdom will show up. The revolutionary army will show up.

You haven't seen shit yet. :p

Big One

Banned
Dudes, Brook's back story is already incredibly sad and tragic, are we going to get a sad "had a family too that he left because of reasons"? I wager no, because if he does have a living family, he clearly values a whale above them all, so his potential family is probably not too important to him, and the connection to Kuzan is pointless as they would have no feelings for each other at all since they've never even met.
Like I said both are pretty much unexplored characters.

And I wouldn't put it past Oda to give the Strawhats another flashback. He already did it with Luffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom