• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sanji is from North Blue, unlike the other East Blue members, and we know very little about why he was on that ship as an apprentice chef. I'm not saying that's a humongous gap that needs to be filled in, but there's definitely room for something to be there.

Zoro, I think we know most everything we could know about his childhood. He was already infamous as a pirate hunter when he met Luffy, though, and we know next to nothing about that. Movie 5 tried to capitalize on this gap, actually, which was pretty cool.

Nami's past we also mostly know of, however, as mentioned above, Bellemere and the battlefield she was on we do not. That would be a cool place in the story/timeline to examine.

Then again, we thought we knew everything about Luffy's childhood as well, and then we slowly keep learning more and more stuff about him culminating in a second childhood story for him (after Romance Dawn). So anything could happen. Talking about the Straw Hats individually like this also reminds me that some of them have a very specific dream, like Sanji finding All Blue. I wonder if they'll all be solved en masse by finding Raftel or if some of them will come to fruition before then.

Edit: Franky's dad is also a pirate from South Blue, something I totally forgot about.

Double edit: I know it probably won't ever be revisited, but I'm also dying to know what that huge shadow was at the end of the Thriller Bark arc.

Triple edit: OH MAN, I forgot Kaido is the one who wiped out Moria's crew. I wonder if we'll get to see that in a flashback soon? And if Moria will come back for the Kaido arc?

Bless the One Piece wiki and its archive of stuff you forget/miss

Kater

Banned
tumblr_nsbp0kBNUr1ubma26o1_540.jpg

This made me crack up. xD

(source)

That Brook theory is pretty cool is there any pictures of Luffy looking like Garp floating around?
I think the aftermath of Water 7 / Enie's Lobby showed more than enough similarities between Ruffy and Garp ... actually, i think Ruffy looks more like Garp than Dragon, for what we have seen from him.

But both have that gluttonous appetite, that random sleep offs while talking/listening, both are pretty stubborn, etc.
I think the only realy difference is that Garp sides with the Marines and Ruffy wanted to be a pirate.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Garp also looked like a muscular Luffy when he was young.

379px-Garp_Young.png

That's straight up a buffed up Ruffy. Plus all the similarities in behaviour and character, no doubt there, if there had been one. ^^

I really wonder if Dragon has the same smug-grin, gluttonous appetite and random sleep-offs ... he does look rather ... evil ... compared to his father and his son.
Would be hilarious, if he gives an important speech to his army with the sinister look ... only to fall asleep while doing so. And don't forget the good old snot-bubble!

Possibly Luffy takes more after his mother like Naruto. Maybe there could be some sort of female character in One Piece of indeterminate age who has a brash but cheerful attitude, is loved by the people who follow her, and likes eating a lot. Hmm, hmm.

That's straight up a buffed up Ruffy. Plus all the similarities in behaviour and character, no doubt there, if there had been one. ^^

I really wonder if Dragon has the same smug-grin, gluttonous appetite and random sleep-offs ... he does look rather ... evil ... compared to his father and his son.
Would be hilarious, if he gives an important speech to his army with the sinister look ... only to fall asleep while doing so. And don't forget the good old snot-bubble!

If how he reacted to Sabo finding out he was Luffy's father is then he's a lot like Garp.

Syntsui

Possibly Luffy takes more after his mother like Naruto. Maybe there could be some sort of female character in One Piece of indeterminate age who has a brash but cheerful attitude, is loved by the people who follow her, and likes eating a lot. Hmm, hmm.

Bonney is Luffy's mother, that explains her eating habits and strong personality. She can manipulate her age and is important for the goverment.

It all makes sense!

Bonney is Luffy's mother, that explains her eating habits and strong personality. She can manipulate her age and is important for the goverment.

It all makes sense!

Either that or Bonney is involved in everything to me because she is one of my favourite characters and Oda only gives us one Bonney panel every two years.

IHaveIce

Banned

It all makes sense!

I doubt this is real, but think of the outrages if that would be true

Yeah Dragon being so different looking from Luffy and garp always striked me as odd, especially his second design with the changed nose ( in Logue town he looked at least closer to them)

SolVanderlyn

This is the youngest Dragon we've seen, and he looks sorta similar to young Garp but not really similar to Luffy:

521px-Young_Dragon.png

Luffy definitely takes after his grandfather/possibly mother moreso than his father.

The relationship between Garp and Dragon is probably my most anticipated flashback. Dragon obviously found fault with the Marines at some point and likely had a sort of falling out with his father, who was a Marine hero... we know next to nothing about their relationship right now.

SolVanderlyn

Man, I love all these fan theories... maybe I should start browsing OP Reddit

Jigolo

Most of the time it depends on the staff and whoever is animating what.
The long-running series they produce tend to suffer from rushed work and poor scheduling.

Some of their best works are movies or shorter series.

I know. The shitty stuff is 95% of it and the other 5% is what you mentioned.

Eh, I wouldn't use the word "shitty" to describe it. "Mediocre" fits well.
Like every once and a while, you'll get some amazing stuff, but generally, it's juggles between average and below-average.

I don't want to seem like I'm being too lenient on Toei, but I can symphatize with the burden of mechanistically animating an endless television show with barely enough time to do anything creative or different.

Grexeno

Eh, I wouldn't use the word "shitty" to describe it. "Mediocre" fits well.
Like every once and a while, you'll get some amazing stuff, but generally, it's juggles between average and below-average.

I don't want to seem like I'm being too lenient on Toei, but I can symphatize with the burden of mechanistically animating an endless television show with barely enough time to do anything creative or different.
They could, like

take long breaks every now and then.

What about the tv ratings for one piece? Is it succesfull as an anime? I always thought toei did a mediocre job because the shows it handles are so popular that they will be watched nonetheless.

I mean, dragon ball super controversy and all that...

They could, like

take long breaks every now and then.

One Piece is Toei Animation's highest rated animation program on air. Like top five, top four every single week.

They're not going to put that money train on a hiatus unless there's some parade or sporting event happening during the same time on Fuji TV.

Fishman Island was awesome. It gets hated on a lot but it's one of my favorite arcs
...along with Skypiea, I guess I'd be a One Piece hipster if I didn't also love the well-loved arcs (Marineford, Dressrosa, Arabasta, etc.)
for the reasons listed above. There was so much plot relevance, and it was great to see them finally get there after it being their initial destination since the Sabaody arc.

I really agree with this and Hodi's motivation has a lot more impact to me now that I've had the chance to binge the entire series with a quality translation. Color also helped to bring a lot of life to Fishman Island. It would have been literally the best thing in the entire series if the digital colored manga Fishman Island looked a little more like Oda's super dreamy FI color spread pallets but you can't have it all I guess

SolVanderlyn

Those color spreads are so amazing. Imagine if OP got a fighting game/adventure/story recap series like Ultimate Ninja Storm and it looked like that?

Also, Luffy's getting served a meat cocktail. With a crown on it. Hahaha

IHaveIce

Banned
Also a favorite thing of mine to discuss is whst the heck is up with the bracelet.
There is a bracelet drawn in the mange worn by at least Mihawk, Doflamingo and Blueno and everytime it looks exactly the same.

SolVanderlyn

Re-reading the manga right now.

I forgot how much I love East Blue. It has a much more grounded feel to it than the sagas in the rest of the series. This is both a pro and a con, as the outlandish nature of the Grand Line and onward is a big part of the series' appeal, but it certainly makes the East Blue saga stand out compared to the rest of the series. The arc that came closest to capturing its feel was probably Water 7, where they spent a good amount of time in a town just doing town stuff and didn't have a big bad to take down until the end of the arc.

I tend to mark a couple of waypoints where the "feel" of the series evolved:

East Blue (All of it) - Grounded, whimsical, rustic pirate goodness
Grand Line (Arabasta -> Davy Back) - A little more out there and fantastical, stories become grander in scale, Straw Hats often get traditional 1 vs. 1 fights with a matching opponent
Grand Line (Water 7 -> Marineford) - More battle oriented, but still with a sense of adventure. Battles become larger scale, and while there's still 1v1 fights many of them feel less scripted, especially among the weaker members. The story begins to transition from a segmented adventure to a sweeping epic at this point, with a focus on a "main" plot (Will of D, Ancient Kingdom, Void Century, Weapons, etc.) which always existed but took a backseat until this point in the series. History of the world becomes a big theme.
New World (Fishman Island -> Dressrosa) - Much more plot focused than the segments before, building off of the world building up until this point. Straw Hats feel more like a powerful, recognized pirate crew and thus no longer feel like relatively insignificant interlopers (until they begin taking down the villains) in whatever affair they find themselves in. Something I've noticed about the New World is that it brings back that pirate-y feel from East Blue, but on a much grander scale, with pirate alliances and Yonko and black markets and the like. Of course, it's a series about pirates, and it's always been about pirates, but for a while it felt like an anime with a pirate backdrop instead of a pirate anime... if that makes any sense. The exception during that time of course being Marineford.

Edit: I apologize for my overly academic posts, I just love this series too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom