• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Random thought after reading some old volumes. Regarding how armament haki started being drawn black after the timeskip. Common interpretation is just that before the timeskip it was mysterious and secret kinda, but after it became a more normal thing, so Oda started drawing it so we'd know it was being used. But it's kinda inconsistent when you consider people like Vergo with his all-black mode being pretty distinctive. This visual isn't just for the reader.

What if the actual reason is that black armament haki is just unrefined. A sloppy technique of sorts, a representation of raw power and nothing more. But when you're a true master of it, it no longer shows? Who used it early on in non-black form? Reileigh for one, obviously a true master. Sentoumaru, the "most defensive man in the world." Surely Mihawk has used it. Garp, always hurting Luffy through his rubber. Men with this caliber of martial ability, I could believe they've "transcended" the black sheen.

This falls apart if there are some clear examples of characters that used non-black armament haki in the past who were decidedly scrubby, but I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

SalvaPot

Random thought after reading some old volumes. Regarding how armament haki started being drawn black after the timeskip. Common interpretation is just that before the timeskip it was mysterious and secret kinda, but after it became a more normal thing, so Oda started drawing it so we'd know it was being used. But it's kinda inconsistent when you consider people like Vergo with his all-black mode being pretty distinctive. This visual isn't just for the reader.

What if the actual reason is that black armament haki is just unrefined. A sloppy technique of sorts, a representation of raw power and nothing more. But when you're a true master of it, it no longer shows? Who used it early on in non-black form? Reileigh for one, obviously a true master. Sentoumaru, the "most defensive man in the world." Surely Mihawk has used it. Garp, always hurting Luffy through his rubber. Men with this caliber of martial ability, I could believe they've "transcended" the black sheen.

This falls apart if there are some clear examples of characters that used non-black armament haki in the past who were decidedly scrubby, but I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

I kind of remember there was an OBS I think where Oda said he never intended to give a visual cue to armament haki, but the anime people wanted to make it more obvious to the viewer, so he kind of just added it.

Best example would be Garp punching Luffy without getting his fist black.

Chariot

Holy shit, at first I thought that this threory is bullshit, but crocomom makes some legit points. Can't see it in Fujimom, though. Anyone got something to read up the arguments?

After watching marineford which had so many characters of high to top tier fighting and not a single example of the blackening of armament being used?

Sorry but the chances of that are just far too slim. Unless everyone at marineford was a true master as you called it.

Big One

Banned
I really like this theory OneworldHD posted about Usopp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNrBouS494

Ignoring the god's haki crap mind you.

I think the idea of Usopp literally becoming a Tengu as one of his special attacks ala how Zoro becomes Asura and Sanji becomes the Devil is awesome, and it would make sense considering he has haki abilities now as well. Makes me wonder if the other Strawhats will obtain abilities based off mythical deities and/or figures.

Usopp's lies becoming truth is a common theme of the story as well, so that's not much of a theory.

Holy shit, at first I thought that this threory is bullshit, but crocomom makes some legit points. Can't see it in Fujimom, though. Anyone got something to read up the arguments?

Crocodile may have been a woman, but there's no way he's Luffy's mother, and probably not a mother to anyone else either.

I really like this theory OneworldHD posted about Usopp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNrBouS494

Ignoring the god's haki crap mind you.

I think the idea of Usopp literally becoming a Tengu as one of his special attacks ala how Zoro becomes Asura and Sanji becomes the Devil is awesome, and it would make sense considering he has haki abilities now as well. Makes me wonder if the other Strawhats will obtain abilities based off mythical deities and/or figures.

Usopp's lies becoming truth is a common theme of the story as well, so that's not much of a theory.

Might be some nuggets in between the stuff where some random thing he thought up on the toilet is passed off as fact.

Usopp having Conqueror Haki. I said that he should myself and him telling the dwarves that he knocked out 5000 people with his haki is a definite tease.

As for the becoming like a Tengu thing because of a fan request cover page it's possible. I'm sure that some "fan requests" are just stuff that Oda wants to draw himself or has ready in his archives. The the cover was laughing at chopper not being able to tell the difference between Pinnochio, a Tengu and Usopp. This is already an obvious callback to sogeking so it isn't a hidden message in that way. In terms of visual design there might be more Tengu references but I believe that character most similar to how Usopp is portrayed in the manga is actually Baron Munchausen. The Terry Gilliam movie is clearly an influence on Oda.

Tizoc

Waht Terry Gilliam movie is that?

Wait wouldn't Usopp have the ability to develop Armament Haki by now? Dude got hit by a lot of shit over the course of their journey.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Luffy is the only Strawhat that will ever have Conquerors Haki. Usopp... lol.

Kornflayx

Is Dressrosa the only country we've seen, that has an army captain that is powerful enough to actually defend his country against reasonably powerful threats?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It bugs me that Viz spells Elbaf wrong.
It's supposed to be Fable spelled backwards, but they fucked it up by replacing the F with a PH.

cw_sasuke

You underestimate oda's hard on for zoro senpai.
Zoro might be indeed an exception, still very unlikely considering what the Haki presents.

I'm calling it: Luffy will always be the only straw hat with conqueror's haki. Usopp, Zoro or any other straw hat won't get it.
I agree.. Other Strawhats getting it as well doesn't make much sense considering what it stands for. The only exception might be Zoro once he becomes No 1 Swordsman because Rayleigh as Rogers 2nd has it as well.

It bugs me that Viz spells Elbaf wrong.
It's supposed to be Fable spelled backwards, but they fucked it up by replacing the F with a PH.

I like it. It's a little less on the nose but still communicates the legendary, fable-like quality of the home of the giants to those willing to think for like a second about the name

cw_sasuke

I think they all get it in one form or another.
There is only one form and only the strongest people with the highest ambition/potential have it.... Someone like Usopp getting it would be a joke. I mean Buggy can also have a large influence in OP without having the rarest Haki form.

Chariot

There is only one form and only the strongest people with the highest ambition/potential have it.... Someone like Usopp getting it would be a joke. I mean Buggy can also have a large influence in OP without having the rarest Haki form.
Funny that you name call Usopp. He is the one with the greatest potential. He started as a good-for-nothing who used to fool some villagers with cheap lies all day and had the most growth. Keep in mind that most people in the crew were already strong when they started out. Usopp had a good imagination (that he used for lying and storytelling) and decent aim with a slingshot. He was barely a fighter. But he grew over himself, despite being outmatched hard by his teammates. He is of course the son of Yasopp, so he may got the good aim from him (although I hate these kind of genetics, is not how it works). But he is so much more. He is an inventor, someone who can improvise on a whim and outsmart enemies with much more raw power. And since the timeskip he got actual bodystrange and plant control. It's far more poetic to see someone weak rise to power than someone who was strong in the first place and I think that Oda would dodge such an oppurtunity for awesomeness.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
After watching marineford which had so many characters of high to top tier fighting and not a single example of the blackening of armament being used?

Sorry but the chances of that are just far too slim. Unless everyone at marineford was a true master as you called it.

Yeah.. I figured if anything was gonna undo this it'd be the war. I guess I remember Marco or someone attacking Akainu explicitly with haki (with no real effect but he did say he was using it). Of course, division leaders of the Whitebeard fleet, they might be great enough to use it without the black.

Well, whether it's excatly this or not, I wouldn't be super surprised if Oda did eventually explain the discrepancy with actual plot. Even if it's a retcon of sorts.

Kornflayx

I don't really know if Conqueror's Haki would fit Usopp. He doesn't have the willpower to stand above everyone else. But he knows the role he has to play to perfection. He just got Observation Haki in Dressrosa, which is the perfect form for him as a sniper. That alone brings so much potential for awesome moments.

But since Oda always makes Usopp's lies come true, I don't know what's gonna happen.

cw_sasuke

Funny that you name call Usopp. He is the one with the greatest potential. He started as a good-for-nothing who used to fool some villagers with cheap lies all day and had the most growth. Keep in mind that most people in the crew were already strong when they started out. Usopp had a good imagination (that he used for lying and storytelling) and decent aim with a slingshot. He was barely a fighter. But he grew over himself, despite being outmatched hard by his teammates. He is of course the son of Yasopp, so he may got the good aim from him (although I hate these kind of genetics, is not how it works). But he is so much more. He is an inventor, someone who can improvise on a whim and outsmart enemies with much more raw power. And since the timeskip he got actual bodystrange and plant control. It's far more poetic to see someone weak rise to power than someone who was strong in the first place and I think that Oda would dodge such an oppurtunity for awesomeness.

I get where you are coming from but just because he had enormous growth doesnt mean he has the most potential. Oda himself stated that no matter how much Usupp improves he will never be M3 level and and stay a "coward" - its just who he is even if there are exceptions. In addition to potential Luffy and Zoro have been training and preparing for their goal ever since they were small - the Gap between them and the weaker strawhats is getting larger...not smaller.

I also mentioned Buggy...he is a good example showing that you dont have to be extremely powerful to have influence...Usopp will at somepoint lead his and they will look up to him, but he doesnt need some kind of special Haki for that.
Zoro already has an ersatz ability with his killing intent, the one he used against Monet. It's something he shares with Mihawk.

Well...thats just regular fear - power gap being as high as it is and knowing that every move of the enemy might indicate your last breath xD

You can overstate how rare conqueror haki is. It's one in a million or so which is quite rare but it's also said that in the new world there will be a lot of "rare" fighters with conqueror haki. There is no reason why an older character like Usopp, Buggy or Coby wouldn't get it but the power that a character like Luffy or Shanks has with it is what makes them a real monster. Shanks has the greatest known conqueror haki which is at least twice as powerful as Luffy and he can continually release it in a way that sends out physical force.

Strictly speaking Usopp is one of the characters who has the strongest will and the has shown the most real bravery. There are plenty of times when his situation was completely hopeless for him where he just gathers his will and goes for it anyway. Actually I would say that Usopp and Rebecca are two of the bravest characters in One Piece.

cw_sasuke

You can overstate how rare conqueror haki is. It's one in a million or so which is quite rare but it's also said that in the new world there will be a lot of "rare" fighters with conqueror haki. There is no reason why an older character like Usopp, Buggy or Coby wouldn't get it but the power that a character like Luffy or Shanks has with it is what makes them a real monster. Shanks has the greatest known conqueror haki which is at least twice as powerful as Luffy and he can continually release it in a way that sends out physical force.

Strictly speaking Usopp is one of the characters who has the strongest will and the has shown the most real bravery. There are plenty of times when his situation was completely hopeless for him where he just gathers his will and goes for it anyway. Actually I would say that Usopp and Rebecca are two of the bravest characters in One Piece.

When was it said that in the new world there would be a lot of "rare" fighters with Conqueror Haki ? When was it said that Shanks has the greatest conqueror Haki and or how it compares to Luffys/Rayleigh/Boas etc ? What does Conqueror Haki have to do with braveness ? Nothing.

A weak characters being brave isnt something that magically unlocks Conqueror Haki. There arent many people who have it and even less people have mastered it/can control it. So far the only people who have shown it were Captains, Leaders, powerful characters ( Boa Hancock, Shanks, Whitebeard,Chinjao)....Rayleigh is the only exception then again he more or less ruled the Sea with Gol.D Roger so its understandable that he had the potential for it. Same with Ace who died too early but would have lead the Whitebeard Pirates down the line.

Buggy or Usopp just dont fit in that group lol. We havent seen Marines with the Conqueror Haki yet - so i doubt Coby will get it and i dont really know what he would need it for if Garp and Sengoku are anything to go by.

Big Mom, Kadou and Dragon having it wouldnt suprise me though....but Buggy ? Come on man.

Kornflayx

When was it said that in the new world there would be a lot of "rare" fighters with Conqueror Haki ? When was it said that Shanks has the greatest conqueror Haki and or how it compares to Luffys/Rayleigh/Boas etc ? What does Conqueror Haki have to do with braveness ? Nothing.

A weak characters being brave isnt something that magically unlocks Conqueror Haki. There arent many people who have it and even less people have mastered it/can control it. So far the only people who have shown it were Captains, Leaders, powerful characters ....Rayleigh is the only exception then again he more or less ruled the Sea with Gol.D Roger so its understandable that he had the potential for it. Same with Ace who died too early but would have lead the Whitebeard Pirates down the line.

Buggy or Usopp just dont fit in that group lol. We havent seen Marines with the Conqueror Haki yet - so i doubt Coby will get it and i dont really know what he would need it for.

Well Chinjao said to Luffy that there are a lot of people "with the quality of a king" in the new world. A lot of sites translated that as conquerors haki

cw_sasuke

Well Chinjao said to Luffy that there are a lot of people "with the quality of a king" in the new world. A lot of sites translated that as conquerors haki

Sure, but unless we see them and its stated by Oda it doesnt make much sense to act as if more or less everyone we know will get it don the line. Its supposed to be very rare with Luffy being the only Supernova/New Gen Pirate who has it at this point.

Raleigh says about conqueror, "whenever somebody gains fame in this world they are most likely hiding this power within themselves."

The two characters who seem to most easily gain fame relative to achievements in One Piece are in fact Usopp, Buggy and maybe also Brook... And the new world is home to many famous characters.

"this power is measured by the users spirit and nothing more it can only be trained through personal growth."

Physical strength or rank does not matter when it comes to conqueror haki training.

If you really think of Usopp as a "joke" character entirely then you haven't been paying attention.

cw_sasuke

Raleigh says about conqueror, "whenever somebody gains fame in this world they are most likely hiding this power within themselves."

The two characters who seem to most easily gain fame relative to achievements in One Piece are in fact Usopp, Buggy and maybe also Brook... And the new world is hope to many famous characters.

"this power is measured by the users spirit and nothing more it can only be trained through personal growth."

Physical strength or rank does not matter when it comes to conqueror haki training.

Everything shown so far indicates that ambition, heritage, (will)power etc. does matter - to be able to enforce your willpower on others you will have to be strong.Even with Rayleighs explanation is we havent seen weak characters with Conqueror Haki and it doesnt make sense for Usopp and Co. to have it when there are plenty of other characters shown so far who are likely as brave and stronger.

That said...Shanks and Buggy were likely also nobodies on Rogers Ship and look where they are now. So who knows what will be a couple years from now with Rest of the Strawhats once Luffy is dead and after the have reached Raftel. Just for now i think Conqueror Haki power is relative and Luffy is the one calling the shots...doesnt make much sense for other Strawhats to have it. The strawhats stand and fall with Luffy - whatever Usopp is achieving is possible because he is part of Luffys Crew. I really doubt the Manga will end with Luffy....and Usopp being the strawhats with Conqueror Haki.

At the end its your opinion and i wont try to change it...but unless we see a weaker non-leader characters with this Haki form its not likely to happen. Power is everything in OP and you dont develop/unlock this kind of willpower if you are "weak".
If you really think of Usopp as a "joke" character entirely then you haven't been paying attention.

Thats no what i wrote at all ;-)

The two characters who seem to most easily gain fame relative to achievements in One Piece are in fact Usopp, Buggy and maybe also Brook... And the new world is home to many famous characters.

I'm gonna need chapter sources for your two quotes, especially the latter.

cw_sasuke

It really was.
You should read it again.. The situation would be a joke, not the character.

"Zoro beating Mihawk at this point would be a joke"... Means to you that Zoro is a joke? Come on.
This is when Rayleigh first explains it. Translations may vary naturally.
Power and ambition is everything in OP... No one gives a damn about your willpower if you are weak, that's just a simple fact.The extra willpower is a deciding factor when 2 fractions with similar strength go against each other. Remember Luffy stopping Doflamingo from kicking Law ? That's dedication and will power. Everyone shown so far with Conqueror's Haki has the full package.

Everything shown so far indicates that ambition, heritage, (will)power etc. does matter - to be able to enforce your willpower on others you will have to be strong.Even with Rayleighs explanation is we havent seen weak characters with Conqueror Haki and it doesnt make sense for Usopp and Co. to have it when there are plenty of other characters shown so far who are likely as brave and stronger.

That said...Shanks and Buggy were likely also nobodies on Rogers Ship and look where they are now. So who knows what will be a couple years from now with Rest of the Strawhats once Luffy is dead and after the have reached Raftel. Just for now i think Conqueror Haki power is relative and Luffy is the one calling the shots...doesnt make much sense for other Strawhats to have it. The strawhats stand and fall with Luffy - whatever Usopp is achieving is possible because he is part of Luffys Crew. I really doubt the Manga will end with Luffy....and Usopp being the strawhats with Conqueror Haki.

At the end its your opinion and i wont try to change it...but unless we see a weaker non-leader characters with this Haki form its not likely to happen. Power is everything in OP and you dont develop/unlock this kind of willpower if you are "weak".

Regardless of what we have seen Raleigh says not that conqueror haki is just incredibly rare but that many famous characters almost certainly have it within themselves even if we don't see them knocking out thousands of people with it. Possibly the examples of "normal" conqueror haki usage we were shown were all the Amazons loving Hancock no matter what she did and people looking up to Buggy in the paramount war despite him acting like a buffoon. We just can't ignore that in Dressrosa a certain guy knocked out a major officer of Doflamingo with not much more than his willpower, twice, and gained the title, "god." He is also known as the king of snipers. What has Oda got to do to signpost that he has the potential of a great leader?

Power and ambition is everything in OP... No one gives a damn about your willpower if you are weak, that's just a simple fact.The extra willpower is a deciding factor when 2 fractions with similar strength go against each other. Remember Luffy stopping Doflamingo from kicking Law ? That's dedication and will power. Everyone shown so far with Conqueror's Haki has the full package.

Not according to the paramount war. Akainu was trying to kill Luffy and the Whitebeard pirates were defending him because of his spirit even though in terms of strength he was very low down the pecking order in that battle. There were plenty of people much stronger than Luffy who did not have conqueror haki there. Even Mihawk commented that Luffy was the real deal not because he had any chance of fighting him evenly but because of how he convinced people to help him.

Russ T

Banned
You're saying if/when Usopp gets CH it will be a joke as in funny? Or as in stupid? Your original post wasn't that clear, dude.

I think it was fairly clear! He was saying that Usopp gaining that kind of ability and/or power would be a laughably pathetic plot point*. He never said anything about Usopp himself being a joke character.

---

*Which I disagree with because Usopp is defo the best of the crew, so he deserves all the good things in the world.

I think it was fairly clear! He was saying that Usopp gaining that kind of ability and/or power would be a laughably pathetic plot point*. He never said anything about Usopp himself being a joke character.

---

*Which I disagree with because Usopp is defo the best of the crew, so he deserves all the good things in the world.

But that's what I mean. Why else would you think Usopp wouldn't get CH besides him being a joke character?

Russ T

Banned
But that's what I mean. Why else would you think Usopp wouldn't get CH besides him being a joke character?
Because you might think he doesn't deserve it, or any justification for him getting it would be weak and not good enough, given his character thus far? Dunno man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom