• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The ONLY other strawhat I feel has a chance to get conqueror's haki is Zoro, and only because of the Rayleigh parallel.

Exactly...and his goal is directly related to strength and being the No. 1 Swordman . so Zoro having that kind of Haki once he arrives at the top makes somehow sense.
I
At CW, we already know through Chinjao that there are plenty of people in the One Piece world with CoC. I don't really care either way who does or does not get it, I just feel like Oda has been setting it up for other Straw Hats for years now.
While this is true....the people he is talking about are likely OGs who spend who knows how many years at sea. Luffy being the only one of that Generation to have it so far shows how rare it is and he is an exception...once Oda starts to giving it away like Candy it will lose a lot of impact. I also dont need why other Strawhats would need it or what it would accomplish... no once of Whitebeard Commanders seem to have it with Ace being an exception, same for Shanks etc. Seems to be more like a leader/Captain type of Aura.

Chariot

The core strawhats aren't some random fodder, they're all exceptional with huge space for potential and growth. Oda will not leave them behind an I can't see how it would cheapen a rare ability if a dozen more people have it. The strawhats are not even a drop in the pool of people who are living in the world. Starting with non-fighting civilians to fodder soldiers, bandits and pirates to stronger ones who are still fodder to the strawhats at this point, to strong pirates and marines who can be handled easy to okay to the bigger guns to absolute fucking monsters.

And mind you that Luffy isn't really commanding the Strawhats anyways, they're friends on an equal social level, so there would be no trouble to have them all have haki. Even if you put Luffy above them, he would be the emporer of the HRE to his kings and lords, who are leaders in their own right, even under his rule.

cw_sasuke

The core strawhats aren't some random fodder, they're all exceptional with huge space for potential and growth. Oda will not leave them behind an I can't see how it would cheapen a rare ability if a dozen more people have it. The strawhats are not even a drop in the pool of people who are living in the world. Starting with non-fighting civilians to fodder soldiers, bandits and pirates to stronger ones who are still fodder to the strawhats at this point, to strong pirates and marines who can be handled easy to okay to the bigger guns to absolute fucking monsters.

And mind you that Luffy isn't really commanding the Strawhats anyways, they're friends on an equal social level, so there would be no trouble to have them all have haki. Even if you put Luffy above them, he would be the emporer of the HRE to his kings and lords, who are leaders in their own right, even under his rule.

Luffy is commanding the Strawhat - he is their Captain its his crew he chose everyone of them. Just because he is laidback most of the time doesnt mean that calls the shots when it gets serious. Remember Usopp vs. Luffy ? Luffy will achieve his goal and the crew is their to help him get there.

I didnt say the other Strawhats are Fodders...the Conqueror's Haki so far has only been shown to take out Fodders, which is something no Strawhat has problems with....so i dont see why they would need it.

Unless we see many people show up with that Haki ( and Oda ruining by that)...i dont believe Odas goal is to have all Strawhats getting it. No other Crew has multiple users ...hell most Top Crews we know dont even have a single user with that Haki. I really hope Oda doesnt destroy the uniqueness by giving it to a bunch of users for no reason...if there was a solid reason why Strawhats would need it to compete against other Crews but i just dont see it.

So just because they are friends everyone will have CoQ ? What about Whitebeard who sailed for years with his Crew and treated them like Family, same for Shanks etc. even in those crews who have likely seen more than all Strawhats together its not like everyone but the Captain/Leader has the Conquerors Haki.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I can see Zoro using it really late in the series, but having secretly (and knowingly) had it for a long time, potentially awakened during the timeskip. He's made a great deal of "first-mate" style comments over the years, and comments cementing his subordination to Luffy as the captain. I can see him not using it because he feels it's Luffy's right as captain. He'd bust it out near the very end when no one's around, and when he was certain to defeat his enemy by tapping into it. Ala a lot of secret Bleach techniques. He has precedent for those secret shenanigans already, see: the end of Thriller Bark.

Oxn

It feels like to me that Zoro's fear inducing intimidation is more powerful than Conquerers Haki.

Up until now Conq haki has only been used on fodder, and Monet is no fodder.

In conclusion, Zoro > Shanks

RomanceDawn

Exactly...and his goal is directly related to strength and being the No. 1 Swordman . so Zoro having that kind of Haki once he arrives at the top makes somehow sense.

While this is true....the people he is talking about are likely OGs who spend who knows how many years at sea. Luffy being the only one of that Generation to have it so far shows how rare it is and he is an exception...once Oda starts to giving it away like Candy it will lose a lot of impact. I also dont need why other Strawhats would need it or what it would accomplish... no once of Whitebeard Commanders seem to have it with Ace being an exception, same for Shanks etc. Seems to be more like a leader/Captain type of Aura.

I've seen people talk about even CoA and CoO losing its impact if Zoro and Sanji had it after the time skip. Especially since Luffy's training was dedicated entirely to learning it, the common thought even before Fishman Island was that they would learn Haki later as to not take away the uniqueness from Luffy. Even if/when all 3 have it, we know Luffy's special is CoC, Zoro's is CoA and Sanji's is CoO. They will all develop in different ways.

I have no idea what it would accomplish if other members had it but I'm sure they will get it. I don't know what it accomplishes now other than getting rid of fodder and making the rest of the world go wow. Usopp lying about using CoC and then developing CoO within the same arc is all I need to know that he'll be using it by the series end. Now because he is physically weak, its doubtful he will be knocking out 50,000 enemies with a single thought. It's rare but even Rayliegh said that many people who've made a name for themselves posesses it and Usopp will have one of the biggest names ever.

You can't bring up White Beard being the only CoC user in his crew and then say Ace doesn't count. Shanks I give you but we don't know anything significant about his crew or any remaining Emperor for that matter.

Zoro will parallel Rayleigh and Sanji will always be right there with him as a rival. Every member on the Straw Hat crew has shown some sort of leadership qualities with Zoro and Sanji being the ones who take the reigns when it's necessary. If we find out that Scopper Gaban(Bronze) ends up being another one of Roger's CoC users then thats all the foreshadowing I will need for both Zoro and Sanji.

Still in 10 years if I'm wrong, book mark this and throw it in my face later.

cw_sasuke

I call Ace an exception because he was meant to success Whitebeard and wasn't able to control his when he died. To master it he probably would have had to accept the leadership role that WB wanted him in.

Then again... We are just tossing around opinions who knows how the landscape will look a couple of years of now.

PS. Sanji < Zoro even if they are "rivals".

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ya know, Luffy was like "oho I'm so great" bustin out that observation haki on sabaody, dodgin the pacifista blasts. He then proceeds to basically never use it again. So many hits he shoulda been able to dodge from then on.

Ya know, Luffy was like "oho I'm so great" bustin out that observation haki on sabaody, dodgin the pacifista blasts. He then proceeds to basically never use it again. So many hits he shoulda been able to dodge from then on.

Observation Haki is only useful if you have the speed to dodge the attacks. Doflamingo was just as fast as Luffy in Gear 2 and Hody Jones was a roided out fishman in the sea.

Oxn

I've seen people talk about even CoA and CoO losing its impact if Zoro and Sanji had it after the time skip. Especially since Luffy's training was dedicated entirely to learning it, the common thought even before Fishman Island was that they would learn Haki later as to not take away the uniqueness from Luffy. Even if/when all 3 have it, we know Luffy's special is CoC, Zoro's is CoA and Sanji's is CoO. They will all develop in different ways.

I have no idea what it would accomplish if other members had it but I'm sure they will get it. I don't know what it accomplishes now other than getting rid of fodder and making the rest of the world go wow. Usopp lying about using CoC and then developing CoO within the same arc is all I need to know that he'll be using it by the series end. Now because he is physically weak, its doubtful he will be knocking out 50,000 enemies with a single thought. It's rare but even Rayliegh said that many people who've made a name for themselves posesses it and Usopp will have one of the biggest names ever.

You can't bring up White Beard being the only CoC user in his crew and then say Ace doesn't count. Shanks I give you but we don't know anything significant about his crew or any remaining Emperor for that matter.

Zoro will parallel Rayleigh and Sanji will always be right there with him as a rival. Every member on the Straw Hat crew has shown some sort of leadership qualities with Zoro and Sanji being the ones who take the reigns when it's necessary. If we find out that Scopper Gaban(Bronze) ends up being another one of Roger's CoC users then thats all the foreshadowing I will need for both Zoro and Sanji.

Still in 10 years if I'm wrong, book mark this and throw it in my face later.

I call Ace an exception because he was meant to success Whitebeard and wasn't able to control his when he died. To master it he probably would have had to accept the leadership role that WB wanted him in.

Then again... We are just tossing around opinions who knows how the landscape will look a couple of years of now.

PS. Sanji < Zoro even of they are "rivals".

I was going to say exactly what cw_sasuke said about zoro > sanji by a long shot now.

Doffy destroyed sanji in 2 seconds flat. I really doubt doffy will do that against zoro in 2 seconds. Maybe 2 minutes.

Russ T

Banned
I feel like you've all been distracted from the fact that Usopp is a baller and obviously the best character in the series and one day he'll even surpass Luffy.

who is zoro even, like really

Zoro is definitely stronger than Sanji, yeah. I'd say the gap between Sanji and Zoro is bigger than the gap between Zoro and Luffy. It's always been that way throughout the manga. Zoro and Sanji have always been rivals, but never in terms of combat. After the timeskip this is even more apparent.

Alabasta is a typical example of power levels. Aside from Mr. 3 being weaker than Mr. 4, all the men are numbered in terms of strength, and of course Zoro gets the second strongest man. Nami getting the second strongest woman was the only thing that deviated from the norm, there.

EDIT: Speaking of which, iirc CP9 were another instance of clearly showing power levels, what with every member of CP9 having a number indicating their strength. Guess who took down the second strongest?

Spinx

I was going to say exactly what cw_sasuke said about zoro > sanji by a long shot now.

Doffy destroyed sanji in 2 seconds flat. I really doubt doffy will do that against zoro in 2 seconds. Maybe 2 minutes.

Sanji fought Dofla in the air where Dofla is untouchable. Zoro wouldn't even be able to get to him. Bye bye Sunny.

Kornflayx

I still think we haven't seen Sanji's full power yet. He will bust out that Okama Kenpo like the maiden that he is :D But only when no one's around, can't be having Zoro seeing that shit

cw_sasuke

Sanji fought Dofla in the air where Dofla is untouchable. Zoro wouldn't even be able to get to him. Bye bye Sunny.
Zoro had no issues OHKO Hodi underwater. He also had no issues going against an Admiral...i wouldnt underestimate Zoro, he hasnt had a fight where he had to go all out so far and dominated every matchup post time skip easy.

Sanji looked like a fool against Vergo and Doflamingo. No hate.
I know Sanji will redeem himself down the line but he isnt on Zoros level.

I still think we haven't seen Sanji's full power yet. He will bust out that Okama Kenpo like the maiden that he is :D But only when no one's around, can't be having Zoro seeing that shit
Hehe...probably true.

Oxn

Zoro had no issues OHKO Hodi underwater. He also had no issues going against an Admiral...i wouldnt underestimate Zoro, he hasnt had a fight where he had to go all out so far and dominated every matchup post time skip easy.

Sanji looked like a fool against Vergo and Doflamingo. No hate.

I know Sanji will redeem himself down the line but he isnt on Zoros level.

You know what I hate the most? How back then they made Sanji sooo close in power level just behind Zoro.

Why is a part time fighter whos main job is a Cook, just trailing right behind someone whos entire life is dedicated to fighting? Zoro trains when hes not fighting, and Sanji is cooking.

cw_sasuke

You know what I hate the most? How back then they made Sanji sooo close in power level just behind Zoro.

Why is a part time fighter whos main job is a Cook, just trailing right behind someone whos entire life is dedicated to fighting? Zoro trains when hes not fighting, and Sanji is cooking.

Sanji is just that awesome...which is cool. He is so strong because he has to be able to back up his words and protect (women xD).

I get what you are coming from and its probably the reason why Oda is displaying a bigger power gap between Sanji and Zoro post time skip. Sanji has to be strong enough to defend himself and protect the others. Zoro has to be the strongest so Oda has to be more careful how and if Zoro has to go all out. Zoro was a beast pre skip and after 2 years of Mihawk training...well, his enemies better step up their game. Vergo would have been OHKO by Zoro just like his owned Pica, while Sanji nearly broke his leg against Vergo.

RomanceDawn

Ugh power discussions. I'll bite. What ever gap is between Sanji and Zoro is negligible. From the way they fight, how they are depicted and even their designs are 2 halfs of the same coin.

Doflamingo had never taken a significant hit during the entire story before Luffy's Red Hawk made contact. He was blown away by Croc and received a little scar from Law. Before that he was untouchable, had Zoro been the first to attack Doflamingo the same thing would have happened. The story demanded that Luffy be the first to make that real hit. And break his strings? Please, no one in the entire story broke away from Luffy's strings until Luffy himself did it at the very very end of the fight just before the finishing blow. Zoro and Sanji will always be more or less equal in standing and capability, that is a balance that has been placed in the story from the get go. Zoro is stronger, yes, but what does that even mean when Oda directly plays with the idea when he shows us the idiotic power levels of Kaku and Jyabra? A difference of 20 points? The difference was negligible and both will always be roughly on par with one another and what they are capable of.

Oxn

Ugh power discussions. I'll bite. What ever gap is between Sanji and Zoro is negligible. From the way they fight, how they are depicted and even their designs are 2 halfs of the same coin.

Doflamingo had never taken a significant hit during the entire story before Luffy's Red Hawk made contact. He was blown away by Croc and received a little scar from Law. Before that he was untouchable, had Zoro been the first to attack Doflamingo the same thing would have happened. The story demanded that Luffy be the first to make that real hit. And break his strings? Please, no one in the entire story broke away from Luffy's strings until Luffy himself did it at the very very end of the fight just before the finishing blow. Zoro and Sanji will always be more or less equal in standing and capability, that is a balance that has been placed in the story from the get go. Zoro is stronger, yes, but what does that even mean when Oda directly plays with the idea when he shows us the idiotic power levels of Kaku and Jyabra? A difference of 20 points? The difference was negligible and both will always be roughly on par with one another and what they are capable of.

Im not even talking about Zoro marking Doffy up, just that he wouldnt get 1 shotted basically.

He would probably atleast last as long as Law in their first fight.

cw_sasuke

Thats not what post time skip feats have displayed so far.No need to be mad about the discussion. Just saying that at this point there is a clear gap in power and considering their goals ( finding all blu vs. strongest swordman) its understandable.

This might chance in the future and Sanji likely will have his badass moment when i will consider him putting on Zoro level again...but not right now. Zoro and Luffy seem to be further away from Sanji post time skip.

cw_sasuke

By the way, don't get me wrong, Sanji is still a beast and there's much much much more to the manga than just power levels anyway.

Thats a given - Sanji is still part of the M3 and will have his impressive battles to fight. With that said...he has been lacking a bit post time skip so i really want Oda to give him more time to shine in future encounters. I have a feeling that Sanji will have his mayor moment soon.

Some people (me included) are underestimating him a bit right now...time to prove him wrong. Its not JUST about power for me either..but things like attitude and toughness were missing on some of his encounters. With Jinbei being added to the crew soon i feel Sanji has to step up a bit for the Monster Trio to stay the same.

O oda plz give zoro a decent fight because im not finding him interesting at all during the timeskip. And i dont like how ppl get on sanji about doflamingo but praise zoro for his scuffle with fujitora

cw_sasuke

O oda plz give zoro a decent fight because im not finding him interesting at all during the timeskip. And i dont like how ppl get on sanji about doflamingo but praise zoro for his scuffle with fujitora
Username quote xD

As said it was just one if the situations post timeskip were Sanji looked a bit weak. He is one of my favorites and I would like Oda to show him in a better light for the next Arc. It's all about expectations at the end.

Username quote xD

As said it was just one if the situations post timeskip were Sanji looked a bit weak. He is one of my favorites and I would like Oda to show him in a better light for the next Arc. It's all about expectations at the end.

Lol hey I'll admit im a sanji fanboy but ill also admit zoros stronger..but not by some drastic distance that alot of people seem to think.

Now about the mingo situation some points here..

1.knew nothing about mingos abilities(like law wtf?!)
2.Was beaten by viola prior.
3.he sky walked fromthe port town to green bit to stop doflamingo in mid air
4.took luffy and law AND gear 4th AND others support to take him down.

Id say it wasn't a bad situation at all he was genuinely outclassed

IHaveIce

Banned
All Sanji did since the timejump so far for me are that he had to have medical aid because he almost died of seeing tits (literally no artistic joke with the nosebleed, nope it was a real problem in show, wtf.) And being a jobber on Dressrosa.

I hope he will be redeemed pretty soon.

Oxn

Lol hey I'll admit im a sanji fanboy but ill also admit zoros stronger..but not by some drastic distance that alot of people seem to think.

Now about the mingo situation some points here..

1.knew nothing about mingos abilities(like law wtf?!)
2.Was beaten by viola prior.
3.he sky walked fromthe port town to green bit to stop doflamingo in mid air
4.took luffy and law AND gear 4th AND others support to take him down.

Id say it wasn't a bad situation at all he was genuinely outclassed

Gear 4 is luffy, its like you are counting that twice. What other support was needed to take him down? Besides doffy had trebol there.

Veelk

Banned
I think Luffy is the only one who actually demonstrated impressive abilities since the timeskip.

Zoro's opponents have been mostly scrubs. Monet pitifully fainted from fear without even fighting him. Sanji's just been running around. Usopp probably got the most big moments, but that's mostly the whole reputation thing like being declared god by Doflamingo. Chopper hasn't gone beast mode or anything for a while. Franky's most impressive feats have been changing his hair around (though I actually liked the senior pink fight). Nami and Robin have continued being female. And Brook has just been running around like Sanji.

Which is odd, since this is probably the arc that had more characters than any other in OP. You'd think they'd have been matched up to someone each, with the hugeness of the Doflamingo family. Oh well, I guess that will be the Time-Skip Enies Lobby arc, whereas this one was just Alabasta.

Oh fuck, that means the next big one is Skypiea 2.0.

cw_sasuke

It's the small things for me... Him getting outclassed by Doflamingo isn't the issue. Just the fact that Dofla handled him like he was a Fodder without being serious. I get that Oda was hyping up Dofla at this point but he seems to have less issues to use Sanji to hype up enemies.

A simple thought bubble from Dofla ala "I better take him serious" would go along way in showing that he is more than a punching bag.

Just recalling my reaction to the scene. It's not like it's some mayor issue in OP.. Just hoping for more badassery by Sanji for the next Arc.

@Veelk
Not that I'm disagreeing but I think most of these "scrubs" looked that weeks because they were fighting Zoro and his fight style is quite efficient.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think Luffy is the only one who actually demonstrated impressive abilities since the timeskip.

Zoro's opponents have been mostly scrubs. Monet pitifully fainted from fear without even fighting him. Sanji's just been running around. Usopp probably got the most big moments, but that's mostly the whole reputation thing like being declared god by Doflamingo. Chopper hasn't gone beast mode or anything for a while. Franky's most impressive feats have been changing his hair around (though I actually liked the senior pink fight). Nami and Robin have continued being female. And Brook has just been running around like Sanji.

Which is odd, since this is probably the arc that had more characters than any other in OP. You'd think they'd have been matched up to someone each, with the hugeness of the Doflamingo family. Oh well, I guess that will be the Time-Skip Enobies Lobby arc, whereas this one was just Alabasta.

Oh fuck, that means the next big one is Skypiea 2.0.

Oda just realized after the War he likes to write so many chars way more than to write most of the StrawHats.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Sanji was always a battle cook. I think the difference is that he had a mentor in Zeff pre-timeskip whereas Zoro always trained on his own (outside of childhood). Zoro went to train under MIHAWK of all people.

Sanji is now more about skill than strength, but it was always heading in that direction. He seems to be more intelligent and often goes off on his own to do his own thing. He can use Geppou. I do think he'll get another knives moment post-timeskip like someone else said, where he has this amazing hidden skill but won't use it in front of others because reasons.

It's the small things for me... Him getting outclassed by Doflamingo isn't the issue. Just the fact that Dofla handled him like he was a Fodder without being serious. I get that Oda was hyping up Dofla at this point but he seems to have less issues to use Sanji to hype up enemies.

A simple thought bubble from Dofla ala "I better take him serious" would go along way in showing that he is more than a punching bag.

Just recalling my reaction to the scene. It's not like it's some mayor issue in OP.. Just hoping for more badassery by Sanji for the next Arc.
Yea i can respect that although he was on the phone while fighting law the first time does that count? Lol he pretty much toyed with everybody until he got hit by"shambles red hawk".

But im really glad oda didnt make sanji get captured i jus want to see what happened.

cw_sasuke

Yea i can respect that although he was on the phone while fighting law the first time does that count? Lol he pretty much toyed with everybody until he got hit by"shambles red hawk".

But im really glad oda didnt make sanji get captured i jus want to see what happened.
Lol true... Sometimes I forget how strong Doflamingo was. Even Law who knew all his moves and was preparing for this fight for years didn't stand a chance. So yeah it might be unfair to rate Sanji on that encounter.

Veelk

Banned
@Veelk
Not that I'm disagreeing but I think most of these "scrubs" looked that weeks because they were fighting Zoro and his fight style is quite efficient.

Scrub is a relative term. I'm sure Pica was quite strong, but when Zoro's primary difficulty is just getting in close enough to off him, then it's clear this isn't any kind of real match up. It's not like Kaku who was quite close to him in strength.

Monet was flat out pathetic though.

Lol true... Sometimes I forget how strong Doflamingo was. Even Law who knew all his moves and was preparing for this fight for years didn't stand a chance. So yeah it might be unfair to rate Sanji on that encounter.
Yup exactly I'll give people vergo tho i was a little disappointed with that encounter

Oxn

Yup exactly I'll give people vergo tho i was a little disappointed with that encounter

Isnt vergo vice admiral? Should we really expect sanji to beat one? Zoro yes, sanji maybe not yet. Although i kinda forgot how the fight played out.

In conclusion,

Luffy in between admiral and vice admiral level, zoro at vice admiral level, and sanji below.

Doflamingo was tough as balls, which makes it hard for me to even imagine a serious fight with Kaido happening shortly after.

I think Kaido wiping the floor with the Kid alliance will set the tone for what's ahead, if that happens.

Isnt vergo vice admiral? Should we really expect sanji to beat one? Zoro yes, sanji maybe not yet. Although i kinda forgot how the fight played out.

In conclusion,

Luffy in between admiral and vice admiral level, zoro at vice admiral level, and sanji below.
I dont believe for a second sanji is below vice admiral and I'd put zoro above one as well honestly.

Veelk

Banned
Doflamingo was tough as balls, which makes it hard for me to even imagine a serious fight with Kaido happening shortly after.

I think Kaido wiping the floor with the Kid alliance will set the tone for what's ahead, if that happens.

We're probably gonna have an sleeper boss like Bellamy was before we move on to the next big fish. It'd be in line with the time skip being a reflection of the pretimeskip narrative.

DJwest

So Doflamingo is headed for Impel Down right ? I can't wait to see him in jail lol. I also wonder who will replace him as a Shishibukai

Wasn't the fight just Sanji pushing back Vergo, Vergo deciding to actually fight back, and Sanji stalemating so everyone could escape?

He needs an actual fight.
Vergo cracked his leg so ppl are going to cling to that cant argue that fact, but you are indeed right he needs a real fight

We're probably gonna have an sleeper boss like Bellamy was before we move on to the next big fish. It'd be in line with the time skip being a reflection of the pretimeskip narrative.

That's a really neat idea. Hmm.

If they go that far then maybe they'll explore the Emerald City in the way of Skypeia being a legendary place of myth.

So Doflamingo is headed for Impel Down right ? I can't wait to see him in jail lol. I also wonder who will replace him as a Shishibukai

I'm sure the WG has other plans for him. It depends on the "secret" he knows, but I feel like they''re either going to kill him, or force him to work for them since his autonomy has been wrecked.

That was his huge playing card: that he could reveal whatever it is they have covered up giving him immunity as a pirate and a warlord. Now that he's been defeated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom