• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, I gave up any real hope of Zou bring short after the giant elephant. You don't use a location like that as a one off.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Your mistaking exposition for worldbuilding. Not the same thing by any margin. No author I read has ever literally just info dumped all his worldbuilding every time he got to a new town, encountered a new culture, etc. They have, however, worldbuilt ahead of time, so you can see these norms in practice, with inferential clues as to how it makes sense within the context of the world. That's why I even bring this up as a discussion point. Everyone here seems to think I'm out to kick One Piece in the balls, and sometimes I am, but I'm fucking delighted when someone actually manages to explain something I had initially mistaken. For example, that fly explanation you gave. With the much better translation, the joke made far more sense than what I read. So I'm looking for in universe explanations of why women would develop this way.

As for it being a comedy manga excusing it, Terry Pratchett would tell anyone to fuck off with that reasoning, and when Sir Pratchett says something, you take it as wisdom from god. Even he tried to tie his continuity errors under a cohesive rationale for why things that make no sense otherwise are the way they are. Thief of time wasn't a particularly elegant solution, but it was there. I see no reason why comedy should deserve special treatment that other forms of writing abide under.

I never said comedy manga are excused from plot holes or errors, rather that the presence of a cultural trait without explicit explanation is not inherently a sin. Specifically in a shounen action-comedy manga, where the medium itself is home to fourth-wall breaking and author insertion. Comedy based on the real world does not undermine the worldbuilding because the world itself is constructed upon a series of conceits inherent to the medium. You are not going to get an in-universe explanation for why "women would develop this way" because it's not an in-universe joke. The joke is being told directly to the reader. It's based on a knowledge of its readership, a cultural assumption that boys like this and girls like this, an author-as-god overwriting of the universe for the purpose of a gag. It doesn't require an in-universe explanation for the same reason we don't need an in-universe explanation when Krillin in Dragonball comments on how the panels on the page are being copied and pasted from earlier in the chapter, or when Yamcha bounces off of a panel border as if it were a real wall.

*sigh*

I can't help but feel that, for we've written thus far, I can't seem to get the point across here.

You've made your point just fine, I just do not agree with it. I accept the medium for what it is, and allow it the concessions that come along with that. You are holding it to an inappropriate standard.

Is anyone getting the feeling that Zou might be nearly as long as Fishman Island? I don't really think it's going to be as short as people are saying, especially with those books on Oda's table suggest that there's a lot of stuff on Zou whether it's short or not.

I think those are stock sketch book sizes, he probably buys em in bulk. They don't imply much if anything about the volume of content for any one topic.

Nightbird

What if one had sex with Ivankov, and then right in the middle of it, he/she changed gender? That would be weird.

What if one had sex with Bonney, and then right in the middle of it, she changes her age? That could turn something beautiful into something horribly wrong and illegal in the blink of an eye.

99f.gif

smurfx

get some go again
don't see how zou ends up being really long if both luffy and law with their crew are there to take care of any threat. it would have to be jack as well as a bunch of other pirate captains taking them both on. kinemon is there for a reason beyond the ninja so i'm guessing zou ends up being shorter and it will lead to wano which will probably be a huge arc. i think luffy and law might end up making short work of jack and that will get kaido's attention on them.

don't see how zou ends up being really long if both luffy and law with their crew are there to take care of any threat. it would have to be jack as well as a bunch of other pirate captains taking them both on.
It's a 1000 year old elephant(skypiea), with a new race minks(skypieans) that hates humans(blue sea dweller's), i want a full on history lesson or ill be disappointed no way this is a short arc

smurfx

get some go again
It's a 1000 year old elephant(skypiea), with a new race minks(skypieans) that hates humans(blue sea dweller's), i want a full on history lesson or ill be disappointed no way this is a short arc
what if sanji and chopper already befriended the minks? we might get a history lesson but it wont be a long arc. if anything we will learn what kaido is doing to them and that will get luffy to stop it by defeating jack and they all move on.

Bandini

Yikes. These last few pages.... Please use the ignore feature people, we don't have to let this discussion be constantly dictated by a couple of bad posters.

On topic... I wonder if we've seen the last of the events outside Zou for now. Maybe some stuff related to Big Mom? Haven't checked in on her crew for a while. I doubt we'll get any conclusions to things like the BB pirates heading to the Revolutionary HQ until after this arc ends. Lots of interesting stuff being set up, but I'm ready to spend some time with the Strawhats that weren't on Dressrosa.

The big question on my mind is - why is Law's crew on Zou? Law himself said he has never been there. It seems like a weird spot to plan a meet up, a moving "island" that's hard to find, even when you're close by. There had to be an easier location to have a rendezvous. Lots of mystery at the moment, guess we'll just have to wait and see how things shake out.

smurfx

get some go again
Yikes. These last few pages.... Please use the ignore feature people, we don't have to let this discussion be constantly dictated by a couple of bad posters.

On topic... I wonder if we've seen the last of the events outside Zou for now. Maybe some stuff related to Big Mom? Haven't checked in on her crew for a while. I doubt we'll get any conclusions to things like the BB pirates heading to the Revolutionary HQ until after this arc ends. Lots of interesting stuff being set up, but I'm ready to spend some time with the Strawhats that weren't on Dressrosa.

The big question on my mind is - why is Law's crew on Zou? Law himself said he has never been there. It seems like a weird spot to plan a meet up, a moving "island" that's hard to find, even when you're close by. There had to be an easier location to have a rendezvous. Lots of mystery at the moment, guess we'll just have to wait and see how things shake out.
yeah i'm interested too. somebody on law's crew must of had a vivre card of somebody that lives on the island. did law know that kaido's guys had already set up shop at zou?

what if sanji and chopper already befriended the minks? we might get a history lesson but it wont be a long arc. if anything we will learn what kaido is doing to them and that will get luffy to stop it by defeating jack and they all move on.
Judging by chapter 795 it seems sanji and co tried to help one of them but minks are scared of humans so she ran away(that fox girl i think is a mink) so you may be kind of right

Veelk

Banned
Something occurred to me. Was Doflamingo the first villain whose past we went into depth to get a sympathetic backstory? We didn't really get a backstory for Croc, we got a tiny bit for Lucci and Moriah, but I don't think we actually got a whole backstory dedicated to sympathizing with a villain. Usually that's only done for crew members or arc relevant characters, right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Something occurred to me. Was Doflamingo the first villain whose past we went into depth to get a sympathetic backstory? We didn't really get a backstory for Croc, we got a tiny bit for Lucci and Moriah, but I don't think we actually got a whole backstory dedicated to sympathizing with a villain. Usually that's only done for crew members or arc relevant characters, right?

We got one for Moria, no flashbacks though. We kinda needed it for Donfla for Law's to make sense though.

smurfx

get some go again
none of luffy's enemies has ever had so many connections to various people in the world. with that said i doubt we see such a flashback for kaidou. wonder if we will ever see one for shanks.

Veelk

Banned
none of luffy's enemies has ever had so many connections to various people in the world. with that said i doubt we see such a flashback for kaidou. wonder if we will ever see one for shanks.

We got one for Moria, no flashbacks though. We kinda needed it for Donfla for Law's to make sense though.

Moria wasn't shown in depth. It's interesting that Doffy was the first villain whose history we were invited to sympathize with to the extent we were, given how he's probably one of the nastier dudes in the series. Hm...Perhaps that was the point.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I expected Doflamingo flashbacks, but I never expected to see back to him as a child. That said, it's kind of important since the whole crux of his character is that he's a disgraced former tenryuubito.

It's kind interesting tho that we're getting (and may continue to get) flashbacks for former villains. Arlong got a lot more fleshing out during the Fishman Island arc, and I suspect we'll get something Crocodile-related at some point since he's back in action, and has some mysteries surrounding his past thanks to Ivankov's comments.

SalvaPot

Moria wasn't shown in depth. It's interesting that Doffy was the first villain whose history we were invited to sympathize with to the extent we were, given how he's probably one of the nastier dudes in the series. Hm...Perhaps that was the point.

Rob Lucci was also given a backstory, but I believe that was anime only?

Veelk

Banned
Indepth are the key words. We got a page or two with other baddies, but Doflamingo is the first villain one who got the expansive flashback. Maybe he''s a strawhat fleet candidate. Wouldn't that tweak Law's nose.

Oxn

Indepth are the key words. We got a page or two with other baddies, but Doflamingo is the first villain one who got the expansive flashback. Maybe he''s a strawhat fleet candidate. Wouldn't that tweak Law's nose.

Righttttt......

Luigi87

I've been rewatching the anime (this isn't a post about the anime =P) and am currently up to Chopper's introduction in Drum Island, and I am firmly reminded of something...

I seriously miss Vivi and Karoo D=

SalvaPot

I've been rewatching the anime (this isn't a post about the anime =P) and am currently up to Chopper's introduction in Drum Island, and I am firmly reminded of something...

I seriously miss Vivi and Karoo D=

Vivi was a great character, it was far more girl-like compared to the more tomboyish Nami, but she was really weak power-wise, I honestly have no idea how she could keep up other than giving her a devil fruit.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Vivi was a great character, it was far more girl-like compared to the more tomboyish Nami, but she was really weak power-wise, I honestly have no idea how she could keep up other than giving her a devil fruit.

I find it kind of funny that when Toei made Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and clearly took the Ranger's personalities from the Straw Hats, the Pink Ranger was based on Vivi and not Robin. I guess a Robin archtype would have scared kids.

Oxn

But what if he is the exception to the rule and the strawhats are influenced by him and have their personality changed to fit his? They'll become sociopaths and you'll be able to somewhat relate to the whole crew then :p

Burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Another Kotaku article came out today on Oda's work schedule. He's still sleeping just 3 hours a day, from 2 am to 5 am. His weekly schedule looks like:

• Monday-Wednesday = story plotting, dialogue, very rough sketch.
  • Thursday-Saturday = actual drawing with his assistants.
  • Sundays = any color work that's needed

Burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Can we not be disgusting people in this thread?

I think you guys misunderstood a poor attempt at a joke. He had already mentioned that the character he likes and relates the most was Kidd, thats why i said kidd for next strawhat. And my last post was just joking because he in contrast doesnt relate to any of the crew members. Ya'll need to chill, it wasnt a jab at veelk.

Judging by chapter 795 it seems sanji and co tried to help one of them but minks are scared of humans so she ran away(that fox girl i think is a mink) so you may be kind of right

I'm stating to think the Mink are the animals that can talk, like Bepo & Mr Pekom & agree the fox girl is probably a mink too . I also think this cat from Hawkins group is one of them too.
Cr08q87.png

I've been thinking why did Law leave his crew on Zou, I think Law thinks its a safe place to leave his crew in case anything happens to him. So Zou must be a safe place, I believe the remnants of Whitebeards crew are on Zou. It won't be a coincidence when the 7th shichibukai wants to know about Marco from Luffy & Marco will be there. I believe something happened in Wano, either a Yonko taking over or some kind of uprising taking over the country & the samurai left to Zou to get help. If they went for the mink race that hates humans it wouldn't make sense. But if they sought help Whitebeards old crew, that would be different. Just something I have been pondering since I have been wondering where did they reassemble in the New World. There's only 2 ways to survive, (3 now that I think of it). Beat the Yonko or be protected be one. The other is that the world government can own an island as well, but Wano was not owned by the world government. Unless the remaining commanders did this, they must be in a safe place, which Zou seems like it is.

Kornflayx

What if Law's crew is on Zou because Bepo is a mink and he just went "why don't we stay here while you fuck up Doflamingo" because he knows that nobody comes to that island and he has family there

Who is this Cat girl everyone's talking about? Someone with more patience than I needs to link all the "animal folk" mentions/ pics.
SO MUCH stuff happens in this series I cant keep track any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom