• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh man that was good.

Smaller world-building this time, focusing on Zou.
The Mink are great so far, and we have confirmation that Bepo is one.
And now we know Jack is a major threat. He's been foreshadowed back in Punk Hazard so it's cool to see him this time (maybe)

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh man that was good.

Smaller world-building this time, focusing on Zou.
The Mink are great so far, and we have confirmation that Bepo is one.
And now we know Jack is a major threat. He's been foreshadowed back in Punk Hazard so it's cool to see him this time (maybe)

I doubt we will see him, except in a flashback. He was last seen pursuing Doflamingo, doubt he will be now back on Zou again

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm loving how much dialogue and focus Robin is getting. She feels like a real presence in this arc so far instead of being a background character.

This chapter made me think about how all the arcs in OP have started and I think I've decided I don't like how the arcs start.

I know it takes time to get an arc started but I'm really sick of 'this used to be a wonderful country with good people, until BLANK showed up and ruined it!!!'

Lunar15

Man, I really like the pace of this arc. It's no-nonsense so far. We've already learned a lot, found Law's crew, met our primary allies and learned about one of our primary antagonists.

This chapter made me think about how all the arcs in OP have started and I think I've decided I don't like how the arcs start.

I know it takes time to get an arc started but I'm really sick of 'this used to be a wonderful country with good people, until BLANK showed up and ruined it!!!'

Except very few arcs are like that? There's Arlong's Park, and that's about it. Not even Alabasta, Drum Kingdom or Dressrosa is like that.

There's a threat in every arc, but they're all different.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Except very few arcs are like that? There's Arlong's Park, and that's about it. Not even Alabasta, Drum Kingdom or Dressrosa is like that.

Arabasta is basically the "in progress" version of that. Dressrosa is basically the "...but that happened a while ago" version of it.

Drum totally subverts it, though. Drum Kingdom kind of sucked until Blackbeard wrecked the place and made it a nicer place in the process.

D: that's exactly what every arc is... Alabasta is exactly that...ViVi gave a speech about how it was a wonderful kingdom but evil Cros is poisoning what they stand for. SkyPia was a a great place until Enel showed up...Fishman island is a country try to recover from the sickness of evil. Dressrosa was that exact idea. Not trying to be rude but come on.

Nearly every arc of OP has been 'arrive at PLACE' - discover hidden villainy or secret dark past of PLACE, free PLACE from evil. It's not terrible but this chapter reminded me how many arcs have started nearly the same way as this one.

'Wow everyone, this looks like an amazing place...wait something isn't right here'

I think this chapter was the first time I noticed it.

Lunar15

Yeah, it happens nearly ever arc, but does that necessarily make it bad?

That said, it's not every arc, either. Water 7/Enies Lobby isn't that progression at all. Thriller bark isn't really that way either, it's just already a bad place.

One Piece is about adventure and mystery. It stands to reason then that most arcs would be about the adventure of discovering something new and the mystery of figuring out what's going on there.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
D: that's exactly what every arc is... Alabasta is exactly that...ViVi gave a speech about how it was a wonderful kingdom but evil Cros is poisoning what they stand for. SkyPia was a a great place until Enel showed up...Fishman island is a country try to recover from the sickness of evil. Dressrosa was that exact idea. Not trying to be rude but come on.

Nearly every arc of OP has been 'arrive at PLACE' - discover hidden villainy or secret dark past of PLACE, free PLACE from evil. It's not terrible but this chapter reminded me how many arcs have started nearly the same way as this one.

'Wow everyone, this looks like an amazing place...wait something isn't right here'

Of course the counter point is that many have not been like this. Off the top of my head:

Loguetown
Laboon
Little Garden
Jaya
Long Ring Long Land
Water 7
Enies Lobby
Thriller Bark
Sabaody Archipelago
Amazon Lily
Impel Down
Marineford
Punk Hazard

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yo
yo
What if Enel is on the island

I did like how they were like "why aren't our electric weapons working on this guy???"

How would this kingdom have electricity anyway? Maybe they did get it from Enel.

Skypiea Part 2 continues!

daveo42

Banned
Nice to see things moving along at least somewhat quickly. All set up. Next week I'm sure we'll find out that the rest of the crew is "dead" but not really. Maybe some sort of status or with Jack and Caesar on the island, petrification.

Robin getting more screen time is pretty great.

Arabasta is basically the "in progress" version of that. Dressrosa is basically the "...but that happened a while ago" version of it.

Drum totally subverts it, though. Drum Kingdom kind of sucked until Blackbeard wrecked the place and made it a nicer place in the process.

Pretty much. Another example being Skypiea. It's not overly tired out, but you can see the resemblance between arcs and its setup. I think it's worsened more by the total number of actual arcs One Piece has and how long they seem to go on for.

Edit: example being I feel Alabasta starts after the crew traverses Reverse Mountain with Vivi trying to take Laboon.

Majukun

yeah,next time they should arrive in a totally uninteresting place with no history and with no conflict whatsoever.
that will sure change the pace

Russ T

Banned
yeah,next time they should arrive in a totally uninteresting place with no history and with no conflict whatsoever.
that will sure change the pace

Yeah agreed it's definitely 100% impossible to have an interesting history without some previous conflict turning the place from a happy place to a sad place, for sure, absolutely.

What.

Gvitor

This arc is shaping up to be great. Best introduction since New World started, imo. Fast paced, interesting setting, some funny characters (bananas, and Robin is at her best in this arc).

Really getting some Skypiea vibes as well. At first I thought even the giant squid in the cover was the one from Skypiea, but apparently it's the Kraken from Gyojin Island.

I can see Enel returning as well. Oda really likes his returning characters, and the dudes in the moon look like Minks. The Minks using the "electro" thingie might be his doing, I dunno.

And those footprints are totally Drake's.

Majukun

Yeah agreed it's definitely 100% impossible to have an interesting history without some previous conflict turning the place from a happy place to a sad place, for sure, absolutely.

What.

without that one thing,no it's not impossible..
but when the thing people compalin about are something like "they always arrive at a place",and "they always discover something about the history of that place",or "they always defeat a bad guy"...well,it will really difficult to make something interesting without topics this broad..actually we had one,amazon lily..and i remember people complaining a lot during the arc that it wasn't interesting

Well, okay, Alabasta is sort of like that, but it's not as blant as you put it. Most people in the country are not even aware that Crocodile is a villain. Skypedia had been waging war with the guerrilla long before Enel showed up, no? And Dressrosa was a land of happiness. No one was sad because no one knew of the sadness that had happened. No one in the country saw Doflamingo as a villain. Fishman Island had long been in various conflicts.

And even then, these are just a few arcs.

Of course the counter point is that many have not been like this. Off the top of my head:

Loguetown
Laboon
Little Garden
Jaya
Long Ring Long Land
Water 7
Enies Lobby
Thriller Bark
Sabaody Archipelago
Amazon Lily
Impel Down
Marineford
Punk Hazard

Exactly.

The amount of hyperbole here is bizarre.

Russ T

Banned
without that one thing,no it's not impossible..
but when the thing people compalin about are something like "they always arrive at a place",and "they always discover something about the history of that place",or "they always defeat a bad guy"...well,it will really difficult to make something interesting without topics this broad..actually we had one,amazon lily..and i remember people complaining a lot during the arc that it wasn't interesting

No, the thing being complained about was very specifically the pattern of arriving at a place and discovering that it was once good and is now bad because of some bad guy. That's all of those things at once, not one of them individually.

You're extrapolating that for some reason to mean more than it actually means.

smurfx

get some go again
I doubt we will see him, except in a flashback. He was last seen pursuing Doflamingo, doubt he will be now back on Zou again
i think we might see another moria/kuma situation possibly. luffy defeats the big bad guy and then when they think luffy won jack shows up for round 2. if these guardians are so powerful then why didn't they take down jack? could jack possibly be a mink? i want zoro and law to team up and take somebody on. wonder if law can make zoro's slashes act the same way his does.

Pretty good chapter. Excited to see the other Strawhats again.

In my opinion strength wise Yonko commanders are underneath admirals who are underneath the Yonko themselves.

smurfx

get some go again

In my opinion strength wise Yonko commanders are underneath admirals who are underneath the Yonko themselves.
yeah i think this is how strength goes. well that is in big crew emperors. i think shanks crew is different and almost everybody on it is a powerhouse though. since it's smaller they have to be stronger than normal. beckman is probably at least as strong as the weakest admiral. luffy is going to end up being the same as shanks. except he will end up with a huge alliance. doesn't seem like shanks has a huge alliance.

yeah i think this is how strength goes. well that is in big crew emperors. i think shanks crew is different and almost everybody on it is a powerhouse though. since it's smaller they have to be stronger than normal. beckman is probably at least as strong as the weakest admiral. luffy is going to end up being the same as shanks. except he will end up with a huge alliance. doesn't seem like shanks has a huge alliance.

We have not seen Beckman or Shanks strength yet, but I also believe this too be true.

Korosenai

I'm going to say that they're not dead but Brook's DF awakening made him able to take other souls with him and return to their bodies later.

So they're just playing dead.

I would like this to happen, and it would make the most sense for him to awaken first considering he's been "alive" longer and has had his devil fruit for a long time.

NSESN

I have the same opinion, maybe the new admirals are a bit weaker
But i'm sure Akainu got stronger in the timeskip, maybe the battle with aokiji made him stronger

Kreed

One Piece 805:

Even though they are name dropping Jack in this arc, I have my doubts that Oda will have him rescue Doflamingo and/or beat the marines holding him captive AND fight Luffy and friends within the same arc. I'm thinking along the lines of Luffy beating his crew and saving the day, and then Jack will hear about it and want revenge later.

Chapter wise, I'm glad they quickly resolved Luffy vs the Mink tribe and are jumping right into the story/action this time. Also I like that Oda is continuing to find ways to make Luffy being made of rubber useful vs relying too much on Luffy's strength (it's too bad we'll never get another Enel reaction/situation).

Lunar15

I'm not necessarily sure that Zou gets a full arc. I mean, it could always go that way, but the way things are progressing, I'd say that all the bad stuff has already happened and the main villain, Jack, already left. Sounds more like it's setting up Kaidou if you ask me. Like, the straw hats will do something to convince the minks to join up with them to go after Kaidou.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
one-shotted by luffy
Can anyone really touch Enel except for kizaru? He can observe and zap anyone within like a 20km radius. It's not effective against luffy or logias, but if Enel wanted he could always run from luffy and any logias... except kizaru, who is way faster.

The plot twist when Brook is not actually dead, but has been a skeleton all his life and just made his past up to infiltrate a pirate crew, waiting for his chance to stab Pandaman, his mortal enemy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Nice to see things moving along at least somewhat quickly. All set up. Next week I'm sure we'll find out that the rest of the crew is "dead" but not really. Maybe some sort of status or with Jack and Caesar on the island, petrification.

Robin getting more screen time is pretty great.

Pretty much. Another example being Skypiea. It's not overly tired out, but you can see the resemblance between arcs and its setup. I think it's worsened more by the total number of actual arcs One Piece has and how long they seem to go on for.

Edit: example being I feel Alabasta starts after the crew traverses Reverse Mountain with Vivi trying to take Laboon.
Except for the stop at Drum, everything in the grand line from reverse mountain up until crocodile's defeat revolved around crocodile and baroque works.

Big One

Banned
People are saying Zou parallels Skypeia so far which I agree with.

However so far the plot of Zou is going very fast-paced, and this is the first time in the series where Luffy is pretty much going into a post-battle world (well, one that is FRESH so to speak). Since half of his crew have been on the island for over a week, half of the arc itself has pretty much happened, without him.

Remember how Skypeia was split into two parts: First was when they went into Skypeia and learned about Enel's rule over it, and Second was when they actually fought the priests.

I think Zou will be structured similarly, but instead of the second half taking place on Zou, it'll take place on Wano.

Luffy already met the guardians of Zou whih outside of a slight skirmish seem to be on good terms with him, so it's unlikely they're going to confront each other.

Luffy probably wants to kick Jack's ass, and if I had to guess he's probably with Kaidou right now, since his damages are likely to take place before he tried to get back Doflamingo. Jack is likely on Wano, with X-Drake's "fresh" clawmarks showcasing that he's currently on Zou.

Here's my theory: Jack is delivering Doflamingo to Wano, X-Drake is the leading guy on Zou, and Zou will be a short arc leading into Wano which unlike Zou will be a battle centric arc (think Enies Lobby). Kaidou rules over the snow island Wano and is mining Liquore there for weapon production in exchange for Doflamingo's SMILEs.

bjork

I think Zou will be structured similarly, but instead of the second half taking place on Zou, it'll take place on Wano.

I agree. I hope we're both right.

Can anyone really touch Enel except for kizaru? He can observe and zap anyone within like a 20km radius. It's not effective against luffy or logias, but if Enel wanted he could always run from luffy and any logias... except kizaru, who is way faster.

This would turn into a haki debate, I'm fairly sure.

Lunar15

I don't get a skypiea vibe from Zou, aside from the fact that they had to go up to get there and that there's ruins in a jungle.

Otherwise, the plot and pacing are completely different.

Veelk

Banned
itt we discuss the many ways to interpret the word "similar"

paging veelk

We're like 5 chapters into what will be atleast a 50+ chapter arc, probably 70+ if it's going to be the newest long arc like Skypeia was. We haven't had the main villain introduced, we only barely got introduced to the world and it's peoples, we don't even know what half the crew is doing, or what Law is going to do with his life now that he doesn't have Doflamingo to stroke his hate boner.

Give it time.

Also, I haven't forgotten about the telletubbies analysis. It's coming, I've just been busy with school and will continue to be so for atleast until through this weekend.

bjork

We're like 5 chapters into what will be atleast a 50+ chapter arc, probably 70+ if it's going to be the newest long arc like Skypeia was. We haven't had the main villain introduced, we only barely got introduced to the world and it's peoples, we don't even know what half the crew is doing, or what Law is going to do with his life now that he doesn't have Doflamingo to stroke his hate boner.

Give it time.

Also, I haven't forgotten about the telletubbies analysis. It's coming, I've just been busy with school and will continue to be so for atleast until through this weekend.

All you need to know is Po is the god tier Teletubbie.

tumblr_nwzgiyRdif1rcf430o1_1280.png

They've never heard of the phrase "personal space" on Zou.

The plot twist when Nami and co. are actually dead.

Part of me wants to see Oda go "Eh , I'll never actually finish this story in my lifetime so I might as well just surreptitiously kill off half the straw hats."

The other half of me wants GODZILLA DRAKE VERSUS MONSTER CHOPPER FIGHTING ATOP A GIANT ELEPHANT! GWOOOOAAARRRR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom