• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No actual explanation yet, but there's aspects we've seen with them.
They're very strong (Luffy, Ace, Saul, Garp, Roger, Rouge, Law, Dragon)
And they smile when they die (Roger, Saul, Rouge, Ace)

There's speculation that Teach isn't a D, but knows the significance and uses the name to try and gain notoriety. Plus, Whitebeard's speech at the end that "he's not the one Roger's waiting for".

the only real thing we know about D is that every time something big happens, someone with a D is present, and they are probably connected to the history of the lost century

Your right I don't think it has. They are special for some reason but we don't know why yet.

Thanks guys, and yeah I remember the void century had something to do with it from Robin's conversation with Rayleigh.

Lunar15

Ha, of course Law's a D.

D's are probably destined to take down the Celestial Dragons, hence why Corazon's freaking out.

Bandini

My take on the D.'s... possible spoilers although most of it is really just conjecture.

During the Void Century there was a large, technologically advanced Kingdom which no longer exists. How and why it vanished is something the World Government wants to keep under wraps, to the extent of destroying Ohara for researching it. We know that the "Will of D" is connected to the Void Century from what Rayleigh said. And D is a name passed down through the generations, often in secret, as is the case with Law. In fact, the WG actually called Gol D. Roger "Gold Roger" to cover up the fact that he is a "D." And now we have, in the most recent chapter, Corazon telling Law that he needs to get away from Doffy - a descendant of the original founders of the World Government, which was founded right around the time when that kingdom disappeared.

So why is the name kept secret, and what does it mean? My guess is that it's passed down from survivors of the lost Kingdom, to keep their history and their people's will alive, and to eventually expose what did happen during the Void Century. Which is probably that the WG did some seriously heinous shit, which if known would completely undermine their authority.

I have an idea that the Devil Fruits are inventions of the lost Kingdom as well, and were dispersed by the Kingdom when the end was near so people would be able to gain the power to fight against the WG after they were gone. After all, Vegapunk has made artificial Devil Fruits, and he's basically just one guy doing it.

D'aww, Baby 5 being nice to a newly recruited Dellinger.

KZDqqOK.png

I love the small background details like that. I like the Heart Pirates are the only other crew, besides Shanks, that we've really gotten to know a lot about. They really are a big family.

So why is the name kept secret, and what does it mean? My guess is that it's passed down from survivors of the lost Kingdom, to keep their history and their people's will alive, and to eventually expose what did happen during the Void Century. Which is probably that the WG did some seriously heinous shit, which if known would completely undermine their authority.

I do wonder...is it the WG that wants to keep it a secret or the Celestial Dragons ordering the WG to keep it a secret? Because the two groups aren't necessarily one large organization, but for some reason, the WG has to follow their orders if they give some and they (the CD) basically can do what they want...

My take on the D.'s... possible spoilers although most of it is really just conjecture.

During the Void Century there was a large, technologically advanced Kingdom which no longer exists. How and why it vanished is something the World Government wants to keep under wraps, to the extent of destroying Ohara for researching it. We know that the "Will of D" is connected to the Void Century from what Rayleigh said. And D is a name passed down through the generations, often in secret, as is the case with Law. In fact, the WG actually called Gol D. Roger "Gold Roger" to cover up the fact that he is a "D." And now we have, in the most recent chapter, Corazon telling Law that he needs to get away from Doffy - a descendant of the original founders of the World Government, which was founded right around the time when that kingdom disappeared.

I have an idea that the Devil Fruits are inventions of the lost Kingdom as well, and were dispersed by the Kingdom when the end was near so people would be able to gain the power to fight against the WG after they were gone. After all, Vegapunk has made artificial Devil Fruits, and he's basically just one guy doing it.

This seems pretty likely

Bandini

I do wonder...is it the WG that wants to keep it a secret or the Celestial Dragons ordering the WG to keep it a secret? Because the two groups aren't necessarily one large organization, but for some reason, the WG has to follow their orders if they give some and they (the CD) basically can do what they want...

I'm sure it's both parties, no matter how loose their structure is now, they're still all one organization.

Zingerale

Banned
Doffy spilled the beans about his family being Celestial Dragons. Whoops...

Is Corazon keeping his voice a secret from everyone, including Doffy?

RK9039

This sounds very cool.

daveo42

Banned
So Law's a D then? I know I should have seen that coming, but really I didn't even think of that possibility.

Man, I really really want Corazon to spill the beans next week on all this stuff related to the Will of D and its significance.

'D' being ancestors of the lost kingdom idea has been floating around has been floating around for a very long time and seems to make the most sense. The Devil Fruit angle is actually really interesting though. The last ditch effort by the lost kingdom seems possible as there are still tons of mysteries about the fruits themselves and how they actually work.

RK9039

Doesn't Corazon get killed by Doffy? He probably gets killed by protecting Law after Doffy finds out that Law's a D.

Zeppu

Hmmmm

Doffy found about the ancient kingdom. He needs the 'Will of the D' in some way probably. Not sure how the Ope Ope fruit fits into the story, but I'd wager he wanted to swap himself into a body of a D or something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmmmm

Doffy found about the ancient kingdom. He needs the 'Will of the D' in some way probably. Not sure how the Ope Ope fruit fits into the story, but I'd wager he wanted to swap himself into a body of a D or something.

The Ope Ope fruit can grant immortality, so that's likely where it fits in. Donfla's influence only lasts as long as he is able to resist the threat of force from the WG. The day will eventually come where he'd be unable to defend himself from an admiral or CP0 and at that point the WG would likely strike and rid themselves of him. Right now he's only kept safe by a combination of his own strength and what he knows, if he loses his strength there's not much keeping the WG from trying to take him out. Immortality rids him of that fear.

Hmmmm

Not sure he necessarily found out about the ancient kingdom, it could just be one of the ancient weapons. We "know" of Pluton and Poseidon, so it's probably Uranus

It's hinted that some people also falsely claim the D initial like Blackbeard. It's also said that it doesn't even need a family connection and can transfer without it making it almost impossible to eliminate. Roger was confident in it that he didn't see his execution as an end to his life and the thing that most people seem to know about D's is that in the last moments they have no fear of death and normally smile or laugh.

The past ages are not really revealed though and there may be more ages than the current world government era and the void century. The highest confirmed void century techs that I know of are the unknown tech they used to carve the poneglyphs and the giant wooden barge noah.

My theory of why Corazon wouldn't want a D around his brother is that he knows that his brother is the sort of person that a D would eventually want to defeat because D's have similar personalities. Maybe they met a D before.

Kreed

Doflamingo and Law's backstories are easily the most tragic Oda has done so far. It's too bad he did such a good job making Doflamingo unlikable, because it's hard to feel sorry for Doflamingo regardless of what age he was/what happened to him. But then that's what his brother is for anyway.

Hard to care about Law being a D, outside of "Oh another D", since we still barely know anything about what D means.

I think my favorite thing about Doffy's crew is still the family aspect. It was hinted around before but the farther we get into this arc the more real it became. At first it just seemed like fans coming up with typical fun theories but how it's been expanded on absolutely makes me happy. They're as close as the Straw Hats.

Would be marvelous if that's what's behind the void century. You just know it's something terrible like The Wool series and Silos stuff. Somebody always trying to take humanity out lol...

Very nice, would add to your reputation if we had a system like that. Excellently worded prediction and I hope its a least part of what Oda's doing, with of course some surprises.

Last chapter was just amazing.

smurfx

get some go again
Man I really wonder what Law's fate after this arc is
he will help luffy take down either big mom or kaidou. after that he will be luffy's friendly rival. blackbeard will always be the true rival. his true purpose is probably reviving luffy at some point in the story at the cost of his life. i don't see what blackbeard gains by claiming to be a D. it's not like he became known when he was on whitebeards ship because he was a D. even whitebeard had no idea what D was and blackbeard was already on his crew. the world government officials probably take you more seriously if you are a D but its not like they are killing them either since some D's are or were part of the marines.

kurahador

I thought Corazon was Ivankov after seeing his eye make-up I had to double check.
Turns out it's not....oh well...

Guess Corazon really is dead.

jstripes

Banned
Doflamingo and Law's backstories are easily the most tragic Oda has done so far. It's too bad he did such a good job making Doflamingo unlikable, because it's hard to feel sorry for Doflamingo regardless of what age he was/what happened to him. But then that's what his brother is for anyway.

If little Doffy hadn't gone shitting all over the townspeople they probably wouldn't have been found out. He made his own bed, unfortunately.

Hard to care about Law being a D, outside of "Oh another D", since we still barely know anything about what D means.

The space between the big battles is usually when we find out more of that. Robin hasn't had much chance to do research lately.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Senor Pink looked cool when he was young. Poor guy got hit hard by time.

Fucking Megaton. He upped Law's importance for like, x1000 times. And Doflamingo's story was brutal...

I have to say I really enjoyed his characterization this chapter. Showing him having nightmares about his childhood. A few chapters ago they just made kid Doffy look like a spoiled prick but damn. I'm glad he's not just an generic villain.

I'm not sure if the Law revealing his D makes him more likely to survive or die. Hey look, Corazon can talk!

jstripes

Banned
I have to say I really enjoyed his characterization this chapter. Showing him having nightmares about his childhood. A few chapters ago they just made kid Doffy look like a spoiled prick but damn. I'm glad he's not just an generic villain.

I'm not sure if the Law revealing his D makes him more likely to survive or die. Hey look, Corazon can talk!

Well, now we know he has eyes behind those glasses.

Well this character being a D is quite interesting because it's really unlike any of the other D we have met, in terms of it's relationship with luffy. It's not a brotherly figure, it's not a family member, it's not someone with a radically different mindset in regards to the pirate era (like teach), etc. I really hope he survives this arc and we get more hints about this lineage of people...

Corazon intrigues me. He quite clearly grew up to be different than Doflamingo, if he is warning law about that. I wonder what are his motives to be with the Donquixote organization...

And yeah, the characterization of Doflamingo has been amazing. This OP villain is slowly becoming one of the best ever, as more facets of his life are coming clear...

Entropia

No One Remembers
And yeah, the characterization of Doflamingo has been amazing. This OP villain is slowly becoming one of the best ever, as more facets of his life are coming clear...

Ever since he got introduced back at the start of the Skypiea arc, you could tell this guy was going to be huge villain at some point.

Astral

I think my favorite thing about Doffy's crew is still the family aspect. It was hinted around before but the farther we get into this arc the more real it became. At first it just seemed like fans coming up with typical fun theories but how it's been expanded on absolutely makes me happy. They're as close as the Straw Hats.

Yeah I think Doflamingo really cares about his crew. He was PISSED when Law had Buffalo and Baby 5 hostage and even reassured them that they'd be okay. It looked genuine to mee.

Well this character being a D is quite interesting because it's really unlike any of the other D we have met, in terms of it's relationship with luffy. It's not a brotherly figure, it's not a family member, it's not someone with a radically different mindset in regards to the pirate era (like teach), etc. I really hope he survives this arc and we get more hints about this lineage of people...

Well, I feel like that describes Saul. He had no relation to Luffy or his family and wasn't a famous pirate. He also didn't seem like he was fighting for some grand goal. He was just a marine who happened to have the D. Law doesn't seem like he has ever been interested in the 'Will of D' either. So, I think the explanation of why Law shouldn't be near Doffy is going to just be a way to give the reader information and I don't think It effects what Law wants to do after this arc.

I have to say, I re-read the arc so far and damn there is way more going on than I thought. I actually forgot Big Mom became a part of this. It's starting to feel like a huge mess but I know it will figure itself out eventually.

man this arc is getting heavy

i'm calling it now

mariejois' national treasure is also the inspiration for Doflamingo's artificial devil fruit scheme. a top tier devil tree, it's how the top marines get their amazing powers, and only fruits in presence of a D

man this arc is getting heavy

i'm calling it now

mariejois' national treasure is also the inspiration for Doflamingo's artificial devil fruit scheme. a top tier devil tree, it's how the top marines get their amazing powers, and only fruits in presence of a D

Weren't the trees retconned from the story? Or am I remembering this wrong?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I seem to remember a vision of a devil fruit tree in the anime... was that filler?

Trees have never been mentioned.
Years ago Viz mentioned "fruit from the Gum Gum Tree" but that was completely wrong.

That's probably what I'm remembering. I did start with Shonen Jump way back in '02. Wasn't until a few years later I started with KF which, for the most part, had better translations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom