• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is sadder.

1. Parents died, adoptive parent died, everyone you know is practically a slave.

2. Sick of overbearing parents.

It's not about which one is sadder, Sabo was a slave to the egocentric and insufferable Noble lifestyle that had no regard for human life.

Sabo had to come to terms that his entire family and lifestyle was wrong and that he would be an outsider for his entire life.

Throw all of that on to the fact that the fucking kid lost his memory and grew up without the knowledge of the only two friends who accepted him for who he was.

How is that not sad?

SalvaPot

It's not about which one is sadder, Sabo was a slave to the egocentric and insufferable Noble lifestyle that had no regard for human life.

Sabo had to come to terms that his entire family and lifestyle was wrong and that he would be an outsider for his entire life.

Throw all of that on to the fact that the fucking kid lost his memory and grew up without the knowledge of the only two friends who accepted him for who he was.

How is that not sad?

This part is missed a lot, Sabo had no memory of Luffy and Ace, and it all came back to him AFTER his brother died, realizing he could have done something if he had remembered earlier.

How is that not sad?

Iirc at one point Sabo's father even says that Sabo is his property. He didn't care for him as a human being.

How is that not sad?

The first part is not so much tragic as heroic since it shows that Sabo is motivated and committed more to a sense of justice than any of us could ever realistically be. It's a struggle that he chooses not one that is forced on him.

The amnesia probably had tragic consequences since he probably could have made a difference at the war of the greatest but it didn't really cause him much suffering.

Big One

Banned
I personally think we're going to end up with four more core Strawhats by the end of the series, the first one being Jinbe.

Mainly based on the pattern Oda has set:

East Blue:
Zoro
Usopp
Sanji
Nami

Grand Line:
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brooke

New World:
Jinbe
????
????
????

The first part is not so much tragic as heroic since it shows that Sabo is motivated and committed more to a sense of justice than any of us could ever realistically be. It's a struggle that he chooses not one that is forced on him.

The amnesia probably had tragic consequences since he probably could have made a difference at the war of the greatest but it didn't really cause him much suffering.

Are we talking about what's sad or what defines a tragedy?

Are we talking about what's sad or what defines a tragedy?

I'm saying that Sabo having a hand in his own fate makes his story one that his personality has a large say in. If his back story was tragic one it would be like saying it was a terrible mistake to leave his parents and go live with Ace and Luffy. It would be saying that going with Dragon is like some punishment from the heavens for betraying his family. Compare his back story to Doflamingo who had a genuinely tragic past.

IHaveIce

Banned
I personally think we're going to end up with four more core Strawhats by the end of the series, the first one being Jinbe.

East Blue:
Zoro
Usopp
Sanji
Nami

Grand Line:
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brooke

New World:
Jinbe
????
????
????

I would like that!

smurfx

get some go again

East Blue:
Zoro
Usopp
Sanji
Nami

Grand Line:
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brooke

New World:
Jinbe
????
????
????
last one is shanks. but only because blackbeard killed off his crew but he survived thanks to his crew making sure he survived. he only joins in the last battle vs the world government.

I'm saying that Sabo having a hand in his own fate makes his story one that his personality has a large say in. If his back story was tragic one it would be like saying it was a terrible mistake to leave his parents and go live with Ace and Luffy. It would be saying that going with Dragon is like some punishment from the heavens for betraying his family. Compare his back story to Doflamingo who had a genuinely tragic past.

That's fine (and debatable), but that doesn't man Sabo had a "happy life" or that it wasn't a sob story as you originally claimed.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

The tragedy isn't "his parents were dicks." The tragedy was that he was part of a system of nobility that literally burned alive the undesirables of their country, that he wept hysterically in dragon's arms and wished he hadn't been born a noble, that he thought his brothers were burned to death, that a celestial dragon blew him up and left him for dead and amnesiatic, and that he realized he was unable to save his brother from actual death at the same time he remembered that said brother even existed.

pbyIYUE.png

East Blue:
Zoro
Usopp
Sanji
Nami

Grand Line:
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brooke

New World:
Jinbe
????
????
????

Feels too late for that. No one has joined officially yet and there have been over 200 New World chapters. That's 1/4th the series, and no new crewmates.

Big One

Banned
Feels too late for that. No one has joined officially yet and there have been over 200 New World chapters. That's 1/4th the series, and no new crewmates.
Yeah but there's still like a hundred arcs to go, so relatively what we got right now is going to be miniscule once this series finally has some closure. I'm even somewhat expecting Oda to do a third timeskip to stretch out the series further. Well maybe not that extreme, but things that need to be resolved:

WANO (should be coming up)
Whole Cake Island and Big Mom
Baltigo and the Revolutionaries
Dr. Vegapunk
Potential Moon arc
Mariejois
the Reverie
ELBAF
Pirate's Island (origin of the Davy Back Fight) potentially
Blackbeard
Shanks
Ancient Kingdom and the Void Century
The origin of Devil Fruits
The Emerald City
Kuma
Mihawk
JINBE JOINING
Fishman Island being destroyed by Luffy
Raftel
THE THRONE WAR
All the Supernovas (judging by how focus Law got...we're in for a LOT of content with these guys)
Crocodile
Joy Boy
URANUS
and the One Piece

Possibly many many more...

Plus an epilogue to end the series.

Oh fuck, definitely get Vivi back in there!

Can't wait for her, Dalton, Neptune, and Riku to rep the Strawhats at the Reverie.
my man!! Another vivi supporter!! I always liked u cloud!!

Oooo i forgot about reverie..damn the strawhats really has an affiliation with 4 out of..how many was it again 12? I think..damn i need to go reread back up on the kings and stuff

Oh yeah dude, ever since:

185d2q5eaf844jpg.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the talk about the Strawhats because each of their countries literally would have collapsed without them. That's some history the greater world doesn't know about.

Gonna be epic.

185d2q5eaf844jpg.jpg

It will be interesting to see how the talk about the Strawhats because each of their countries literally would have collapsed without them. That's some history the greater world doesn't know about.

Gonna be epic.
That's where it gets interesting. I wonder how that will work out honestly. Fujitora basically told the world the strawhats saved dressrosa, you know darn well vivi is going to defend them, dalton and Neptune as well so its like with all that evidence what exactly will be the governments next move thats 4 countries saved by pirates.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I always remember what doffy said, that Vivi's family are the only ones out of the original 12 who created the WG that chose to stay.

and out of that they also had a ponyglyph.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh man, Vivi's return didn't even seem like a plausible thing, but of course she'd be at the Reverie. That's probably going to be the in-between arc setup for the arc after Wano (or Zou, but my bets are on Wano) and I'm sure major bombs will be dropped in regards to the plot.

If she did rejoin the Straw Hats I think everyone would be ok with that (reader wise)

Veelk

Banned
Vivi is one of the few characters in OP I actually like. Even I would be happy to see her again. She should bring Carue along with her.

Edit: I would be worried about how she'll be depicted now with Oda current tendencies though.

Vivi is one of the few characters in OP I actually like. Even I would be happy to see her again. She should bring Carue along with her.

Edit: I would be worried about how she'll be depicted now with Oda current tendencies though.
O veelk lol you just couldn't say the first part nd be done.

Vivi and carue gaaah i miss them so much

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

No need to wonder about that

Veelk

Banned
The fanservice is a shame, but that was in fill force by the time alabasta happened anyway. The bigger issue is her capabilities. Vivi was a fighter. She never got major fights, true, but she was pretty physical all the same. Luffy even decked her at one point to make his message clear. It made her feel like a more legitimate part of the world of OP, where rightness is determined by violence. Even Nami got a fight in that arc. I don't want her to suddenly be left on the sidelines, especially if she get a devil fruit, like Robin is.

Sorry for the dp

And you unable to communicate anything intelligible to me aside from how I shouldn't have certain conversations, but I guess we all have faults.
Hmm apparently we're still hostile toward each other because i was 100% joking thoughts the lols gave it away..eh o well.

Anyway i was jus watching lil garden not to long ago carue clearly should be a crewmate jus as much as vivi

Veelk

Banned
Hmm apparently we're still hostile toward each other because i was 100% joking thoughts the lols gave it away..eh o well.

Anyway i was jus watching lil garden not to long ago carue clearly should be a crewmate jus as much as vivi

You've never been anything but dismissive of both me and that topic, and never contributed anything other than how it should just stop, for no other reason than that you were personally disinterested in it. Your post is virtually indistinguishable from the 'serious' posts you made towards it or me, lols notwithstanding. So you can understand do my confusion.

You've never been anything but dismissive of both me and that topic, and never contributed anything other than how it should just stop, for no other reason than that you were personally disinterested in it. Your post is virtually indistinguishable from the 'serious' posts you made towards it or me, lols notwithstanding. So you can understand do my confusion.
You kno what i spent 56 pages arguing about fallout 4's graphics today so ok veelk. Mods said the conversation about that topic needs to stop lets leave it at that. Although u coming at my "intelligence' was completely uncalled for btw.

Back to vivi and any new strawhats i wonder if when oda said new crew members would join consecutively he meant the 5600 "crew members"

smurfx

get some go again
vivi won't be able to do a damn thing as a fighter for the strawhats or the alliance. she is only good politically. maybe in the future she commands a marine unit to go help luffy or something.

Ya know what, that might be the case. It makes more sense than how we all used to interpret it, as full-fledged crewmembers.
Yea only way i can imagine it honestly, which is better in the long run anyway
vivi won't be able to do a damn thing as a fighter for the strawhats or the alliance. she is only good politically. maybe in the future she commands a marine unit to go help luffy or something.
Take that back!! Peacock slashers for life

I love Vivi, but she's not going to join the strawhats, lol. It's nice to dream, but you guys can't seriously think she will join Luffy's crew. Bart, Enel and Bonney won't join either. Carrot; it's too soon to say, but like I mentioned earlier I severely doubt anyone but possibly Jinbei will join at this point. Someone might join the fleet though.

we_miss_vivi_by_mugiwara_no_glace.gif

We Miss Vivi!

East Blue:
Zoro
Usopp
Sanji
Nami

Grand Line:
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brooke

New World:
Jinbe
????
????
????

If Zou is going to parallel Skypeia, or even Jaya/Skypeia we didn't get a crew member so I don't see another one joining. If Carrort was to join most likely Choppers love interest, I dunno man, too much furry love imo. I'm still pushing for Bon Clay. The 4th person is going to be either a bronze statue or a person who can make a bronze statue.

185d2q5eaf844jpg.jpg

Gonna be epic.

one of the best scenes in OP

I would love for Vivi and Carue to come back too, I miss them !

526851-sanji_cute.jpg

I also think it would be awesome if Enel became a strawhat
ally
. I like his character a lot.

Iceberg and Tyrannosaurus too lol. They could build an awesome fleet for them.

And of course Bon Clay, the best girl.

smurfx

get some go again
I love Vivi, but she's not going to join the strawhats, lol. It's nice to dream, but you guys can't seriously think she will join Luffy's crew. Bart, Enel and Bonney won't join either. Carrot; it's too soon to say, but like I mentioned earlier I severely doubt anyone but possibly Jinbei will join at this point. Someone might join the fleet though.
quiet you! bonney will join.

Lol, the Vivi overhype is real.

Joking aside, she'll play a major role at the Reverie. If Wapol shows up again at Reverie, that'll be a sight just for Vivi and Dalton's reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom