• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Verbal tics always come out so weird when they're translated. Believe it.

I disagree with this part, Doffy took a lot of damage of the first round so there's no way to know if the King Kong would straight one-hit KO him

fair enough, but Luffy wasn't in peak condition either. He fought Caesar and the like on Punk Hazard, and fought in the colloseum before hand.

I'd have to doublecheck but I'm pretty sure King Kong only caught Doffy because he got overconfident with Luffy taking to the air to fight him.

It's not like Mingo could do anything about it. He was laughing at Luffy because he dared to fight Mingo in the air, but Mingo still threw one of his strongest, if not his strongest attack at Luffy's King Kong Gun and it still wrecked him

Doflamingo had his Bird Cage in place all the time while fighting Luffy, something similiar to how Law had his room setup all the time to surprise Doffy, so we know having a power like that active for a long time is tiring.

Doflamingo was overconfident for sure, if he had taken Luffy a little bit more seriously instead of wanting to humiliate him and show off his power to Dressrosa then it may have been a closer fight, I still think Luffy could have won if both characters were well rested.

I agree with the bolded as well.

Law's DF has been specifically stated to drain his stamina, as he has to actively keep a room up.

We have no info on MIngo's birdcage. It could just be a passive ability that once activated takes no energy to keep up.

Not to discount the theory, but I don't think the Birdcage was a huge drain for him.

Honestly? Thats what people really overlook. I feel like luffy did way too much before he got to mingo for oda to justify a one vs one win.
Mingo-countered a meteor thats it,and played with law and sanji a lil bit,than battled law

Where as luffy-fought in the Colosseum,ran across the country,scuffle with mingo than thrown out,ran across the country again,tussle with bellamy where he took unnecessary damage because he wouldn't attack him then!! Went one vs one

yeah all this too.

This is why I don't like armour haki. The fights too often end up being about depleting some imaginary stamina or will bar. And hey, the fight actually ends when Oda is tired of drawing dudes punching each other.

This is why I don't like armour haki. The fights too often end up being about depleting some imaginary stamina or will bar. And hey, the fight actually ends when Oda is tired of drawing dudes punching each other.
Meh this was the first fight where a haki drain came into play. In fact this was the first time we learned you could even run out of it to begin with.

Why are people acting like Luffy was the only person injured in the fight or that him and Law didn't both land SIGNIFICANT hits on Doffy before Luffy and him went one on one? Are you guys forgetting Doffy's insides were being held together by his own DF threads after Law's last attack???

Why are people acting like Luffy was the only person injured in the fight or that him and Law didn't both land SIGNIFICANT hits on Doffy before Luffy and him went one on one? Are you guys forgetting Doffy's insides were being held together by his own DF threads after Law's last attack???
Everyone said they both had crutches to work with i would like to see a 1v1 with them both fresh.

But when u think about? Oda always makes luffy,zoro or sanji get wrecked,run around, fight someone before they face their final opponent. He even did it with franky this time makds them look even more impressive in my eyes

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Steven said last week that the people on Zou have a lot of different verbal tics. So I think there will be more to come

Hoo boy, this will make the anime fun...

Verbal tics always come out so weird when they're translated. Believe it.

That's probably why most scanlations don't bother to translate them. Other translations tend to change things up. Like Teddie in Persona 4 goes from ending sentences with "Kuma" to a bunch of bear puns, or Jibanyan in the Yo-Kai Watch anime going from ending sentences with "nya" to just adding the "nya" sound to his speech ("Good morning Nyate")

Hell, it wasn't until the anime that I learned King Neptune ended his sentences with "Jamon"

I mean Doffy didn't seem to skip a beat after the Gamma Knife

Name me a few major fights, and if i can remember it well enough i'll discuss.

Most of them.

Almost every East Blue fight is 1v1, and in the beginning of grand line, almost every major Zoro and Luffy fight is 1v1, and a lot of Sanji's too. CP9 had pure 1v1 fights for Sanji, Zoro, Luffy and maybe others too (Luffy even did two major 1v1 fights). Alabasta had that too for the trio. Fishman Island also had a few of them, even if they all happened on a big battlefield. Skypeia is the arc I remember the vaguest, but Robin and Luffy definitely had 1v1 fights there. Only in the latest two arcs have pure 1v1 fights started to become less common, although the norm was also broken in several earlier arcs too, like Impel Down, Marineford, Thriller Bark and more, which did feature rather few 1v1 fights.

"Never fair 1 on 1 fights" is a really, really hyperbolic statement, is what I'm saying. I'd say there are more 1v1 fights than not.

Oxn

Most of them.

Almost every East Blue fight is 1v1, and in the beginning of grand line, almost every major Zoro and Luffy fight is 1v1, and a lot of Sanji's too. CP9 had pure 1v1 fights for Sanji, Zoro, Luffy and maybe others too (Luffy even did two major 1v1 fights). Alabasta had that too for the trio. Fishman Island also had a few of them, even if they all happened on a big battlefield. Skypeia is the arc I remember the vaguest, but Robin and Luffy definitely had 1v1 fights there. Only in the latest two arcs have pure 1v1 fights started to become less common, although the norm was also broken in several earlier arcs too, like Impel Down, Marineford, Thriller Bark and more, which did feature rather few 1v1 fights.

"Never fair 1 on 1 fights" is a really, really hyperbolic statement, is what I'm saying. I'd say there are more 1v1 fights than not.
When i say fair 1 v 1, i dont mean if someone jumps in and makes it unfair. I mean there is always a variable in a fight where both parties are not in the same condition before engaging.

For example when croco fights luffy for serious the 2nd round, he was already almost dead just prior to that, he got stabbed through the stomach.

Zoro vs hachu? Cant remember his name but the octopus guy in arlongs crew. He fought him after again almost dying to mihawk.

Whitebard almost beat BB before his crew jumped in

Etc etc

Edit: and please dont tell me my statement is really really hyperbolic when just in the post before it you say i think its the complete opposite. Get over yourself

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
When i say fair 1 v 1, i dont mean if someone jumps in and makes it unfair. I mean there is always a variable in a fight where both parties are not in the same condition before engaging.

For example when croco fights luffy for serious the 2nd round, he was already almost dead just prior to that, he got stabbed through the stomach.

Zoro vs hachu? Cant remember his name but the octopus guy in arlongs crew. He fought him after again almost dying to mihawk.

Whitebard almost beat BB before his crew jumped in

Etc etc

Luffy vs Lucci
Zoro vs. Kaku
Sanji vs. Bon Clay
Zoro vs. Mr. 1
Nami vs. Kalifa

These are just off the top of my head. I could be wrong on a few of them though. Like I can't remember if Zoro was injured before his fight with Mr. 1 or Luffy started off the fight with Lucci small thanks to using gear 3 beforehand.

But there's some for you to sink into if you feel like it.

Oxn

Luffy vs Lucci
Zoro vs. Kaku
Sanji vs. Bon Clay
Zoro vs. Mr. 1
Nami vs. Kalifa

These are just off the top of my head. I could be wrong on a few of them though. Like I can't remember if Zoro was injured before his fight with Mr. 1 or Luffy started off the fight with Lucci small thanks to using gear 3 beforehand.

But there's some for you to sink into if you feel like it.

Luffy just flught Blueno before that fight, took some damage
Zoro fought kaku along with the wolf guy for the beginning half, while also having usopp attached to him

I think sanji vs bon clay was fair, cant remember too well, along with the other 2 fights.

just had a discussion with a friend, about the the 10 strongest vice Captains/first mates in One Piece (even tough not every crew has an offical VC - we just took the strongest fighter after the captain)

1. Ben Beckmann
2. Captain Jack
3. Shiryu of the Rain
4. Diamond Joe (now that marco took the lead)
5. Big Moms strongest crew member
6. zoro
7. Vergo (i rate him as the strongest from DoFlamingos Crew)
8. Killer
9. Bepo
10. Daz Bones aka Mr.1

what would you say?

Oxn

just had a discussion with a friend, about the the 10 strongest vice Captains/first mates in One Piece (even tough not every crew has an offical VC - we just took the strongest fighter after the captain)

1. Ben Beckmann
2. Captain Jack
3. Shiryu of the Rain
6. zoro
8. Killer
9. Bepo
10. Daz Bones aka Mr.1

what would you say?

Is sabo considered first mate? Not sure.

Bepo? Do we know much about him?

I also feel shiryu might be a little high.

1. Ben Beckmann
2. Captain Jack
3. Shiryu of the Rain
6. zoro
8. Killer
9. Bepo
10. Daz Bones aka Mr.1

what would you say?

we've only seen 3, kind of 4, of these people fight, how can you put the rest on this list?

1. Ben Beckmann
2. Captain Jack
3. Shiryu of the Rain
6. zoro
8. Killer
9. Bepo
10. Daz Bones aka Mr.1

what would you say?

There are A LOT of assumptions here. As in, this entire list is based on nothing.

Jigolo

Well the list is based alot off of assumption but we got glimpses of interactions between of few of those guys during the war where we can infer those positions. For example the interaction between Ben Beckman and Kizaru, Kiazru immediately stopped his attack when stood up by Ben. That at least shows some kind of power or level that Ben currently holds.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Shanks' crew is crazy strong. I seriously cannot wait to see them fight. I hope Lucky Roux in particular has some amazing fighting ability, because he looks like a complete goob and it's be perfect for One Piece to make him secretly awesome. (He was the first person to kill someone in the series, too, so hey)

It would be really neat if none of them were devil fruit users.

Oxn

Shanks' crew is crazy strong. I seriously cannot wait to see them fight. I hope Lucky Roux in particular has some awesome fighting ability.

It would be really neat if none of them were devil fruit users.

I actually get the feeling thats what they are aiming for.

He's saying fighting Blueno left Luffy at less than peak condition for the fight against Lucci.

C'mon guys!
I doubt beating down some fodder and destroying Blueno in like a minute took anything out of Luffy. Let's be serious. After turning on gear 2 Blueno couldn't even see him let alone cause him to exert himself. It's like saying athletes don't play games at peak physical condition because they have warm ups before the games start.

Edit: I really need to review messages before submitting on my phone. That was rough

Veelk

Banned
You guys are not thinking with One Piece rules.

In One Piece, Pell recovered from a point blank nuclear blast enough to be able to walk the next day.

The only injuries that ever took more than a day to heal was Zoro's near death Mihawk and Kuma experiences. Those took a whole two days.

In the Alabasta arc, Luffy collapsed from exhaustion, only to be 'rested up a bit' less than 3 minutes of sleep. I know it's a minute because the time bomb was counting down and that's how long it was before it exploded, and Luffy went down before it did.

There isn't really such a thing as lasting damage in OP. They from any injuries faster and with less justification than Call of Duty protagonists.

Edit: Why don't DF users that have some wealth just wear some kind of wet suit? You'd think something like that would be developed given that there is major demand for it among DF users. Water needs to be affecting a certain percentage of your body, so if they can avoid that, they'll remove one of the biggest weaknesses.

Russ T

Banned
I doubt beating down some fodder an dwdtoryonf Blueno is like a minute took anything out of Luffy. Let's be serious. After turning on gear 2 Blueno couldn't even see him left along cause him to exert himself. It's like saying athletes don't play games t peak physical condition because they had warm ups before the game started

Don't argue at me I'm not the one making this argument. I am just clarifying what I thought was an obvious statement to hopefully avoid more people being confused.

You guys are not thinking with One Piece rules.

In One Piece, Pell recovered from a point blank nuclear blast enough to be able to walk the next day.

"You guys"? More like one guy.

And a slight note on Pell is that he does has a zoan fruit, and zoan users heal much faster than regular humans, however I agree with your point all in all.

bjork

Edit: Why don't DF users that have some wealth just wear some kind of wet suit? You'd think something like that would be developed given that there is major demand for it among DF users. Water needs to be affecting a certain percentage of your body, so if they can avoid that, they'll remove one of the biggest weaknesses.

Waiting on that Body Glove (tm) endorsement deal.

does body glove even still exist

I thought that water effected them no matter how much they are touching? It just gets worse the more they are submerged.

Veelk

Banned
I thought that water effected them no matter how much they are touching? It just gets worse the more they are submerged.

No, it's just a certain point. Luffy is perfectly fine while drenched in rain, for example, and has no problem in walking in inch deep water. It's once it gets past his knees that it becomes an issue.

But that kind of my point, with a wet suit, they wouldn't ever really have to touch water. I guess it'd be awkward wearing that everywhere, but OP citizens wear stupid shit as a norm.

Lol you do know wetsuits aren't waterproof, right? They're meant to keep you warm and your muscles compressed to ensure circulation, but they in no way prevent you from getting wet

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
RE: devil fruit wetsuits, Vander Decken wore that bubble suit in order to function underwater with the rest of the fishmen despite his devil fruit handicap. Seemed to get the job done just fine.

Taborcarn

RE: devil fruit wetsuits, Vander Decken wore that bubble suit in order to function underwater with the rest of the fishmen despite his devil fruit handicap. Seemed to get the job done just fine.

Wow I had completely forgotten that character existed up until you mentioned him.

Dugna

Yeah but he also had a Devil Fruit that wouldn't be to hindered by wearing that bubble suit, where as a many other devil fruits would not work as well inside it, like the Mera Mera fruit or most logias.

Veelk

Banned
Lol you do know wetsuits aren't waterproof, right? They're meant to keep you warm and your muscles compressed to ensure circulation, but they in no way prevent you from getting wet
I didn't actually. I mean, I knew they did that too, but given the name, I assumed they kept out water too. Thanks for letting me know.

The Bubbles are somewhat close to what I'm describing but not quite. Maybe something more like the celestial dragons suits?

I thought the wetsuits thing was a joke, so I just staid out of it, but you're actually serious? Not only would no one ever wear that (for both stylish and most importantly practical reasons), but a devil fruit user could very easily break the wetsuit. Pretty much no matter what kind of devil fruit you use, you will be able to easily defeat someone wearing a wetsuit, because what little water they will have protecting them won't be anywhere near enough.

Veelk

Banned
I thought the wetsuits thing was a joke, so I just staid out of it, but you're actually serious? Not only would no one ever wear that (for both stylish and most importantly practical reasons), but a devil fruit user could very easily break the wetsuit. Pretty much no matter what kind of devil fruit you use, you will be able to easily defeat someone wearing a wetsuit, because what little water they will have protecting them won't be anywhere near enough.

It isn't for fighting purposes exactly, but it'd be convienent if they fell into the water. They are constantly sailing after all. A suit that blocked out their major weakness would be practical.

It isn't for fighting purposes exactly, but it'd be convienent if they fell into the water. They are constantly sailing after all. A suit that blocked out their major weakness would be practical.

Oh, I see what you're going for. Sorry, I kind of misunderstood. That does make sense, but falling into the water doesn't really seem to be that big of a concern for DF users. I mean, they talk about it, but we've never even heard of a DF user drowning, have we? Can't be too common. And even then their head probably wouldn't be protected, and also, they probably couldn't use their powers while in the water, at least for more powers.

Hmm given the only wet suits we've seen so far i dont think there to practical for everyday sailing and fighting(only ones we've seen are the ones the strawhats wore in the jaya arc)

aren't the Bubble suits made from the saobondy bubbles? Because I remember those PPP after a certain distance from saobondy, so I imagine it's only really useful in a few places like FI or saobondy that are in that area

And even then, they established that DF users are still weaker even while wearing them when underwater

aren't the Bubble suits made from the saobondy bubbles? Because I remember those PPP after a certain distance from saobondy, so I imagine it's only really useful in a few places like FI or saobondy that are in that area

And even then, they established that DF users are still weaker even while wearing them when underwater

Well, the Saobaody bubbles cannot leave the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom