• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, would any of you fellers be interested in running a One Piece D20 game with me?

The system is actually a lot of fun, and I can DM it if you guys would like too

No idea how it would even work, but sure. I'm in. I'll try anything once.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That's Gaara, he's protected by sand. Croc's form is sand, so attacks can pass through him. Maybe it's easier for him that way, I guess.

Well yeah in a pre-haki world there's basically no need for a logia to defend against anything. Croc probably shoulda adjusted his fighting style after Luffy figured out the water shit tho.

Nibel

I think Croc's defense is pretty good though; sure, liquids can ultimately harm him but until you find out about it he already poisoned your ass. He has also some neat traversal options with his DF

What happened to him again after breaking out of the jail?

IHaveIce

Banned
I think Croc's defense is pretty good though; sure, liquids can ultimately harm him but until you find out about it he already poisoned your ass. He has also some neat traversal options with his DF

What happened to him again after breaking out of the jail?
He wanted to go to New World with Daz Bones.

Russ T

Banned
I'm not pretending its not there nor did I ever say it didn't exist, in fact my entire post was specifically talking about Veelk and his strange obsession

I lurk this thread mostly, but man it always turns into a cesspool when he posts.

It's hardly a "strange obsession" considering he makes the same types of posts about... well basically every aspect of One Piece.

It's just that sexism is the one thing people don't want to talk about, for some weird reason. Guarantee that if he'd made another long post about world-building or something, people wouldn't be reacting this way.

Why do you think that is? I have my theory... (Which is that talking about sexism makes people uncomfortable. It certainly makes me uncomfortable! I don't like acknowledging that the things I love are sometimes Not Good. One Piece included.)

It's hardly a "strange obsession" considering he makes the same types of posts about... well basically every aspect of One Piece.

It's just that sexism is the one thing people don't want to talk about, for some weird reason. Guarantee that if he'd made another long post about world-building or something, people wouldn't be reacting this way.

Why do you think that is? I have my theory... (Which is that talking about sexism makes people uncomfortable. It certainly makes me uncomfortable! I don't like acknowledging that the things I love are sometimes Not Good. One Piece included.)

Again with these condescending posts.

No. Why would people find it uncomfortable to talk about sexism? We're adults. We've been over this a million times. The thing is; we've said all that there is to say about it. You're new here, which is very obvious, because this is a discussion that has been had over and over and over again and we already know all that there is to know about it. Is it weird that people don't want to have the same conversation over and over again? Is it weird that people are tired of endless arguments, walls of pointless texts and unnecessary name-calling? If only weird people have common sense, then I'm happy to be weird.

I think its jus the fact its ran its course in alot of peoples minds. Every time a female is mentioned it turns into that.

hey Veelk, do you write any of your own stories, or have any story ideas? I'd actually like to talk about that with you sometime if you do.

I think if Croc had watched the Gaara/Rock Lee fight, he would never have lost in the desert. Croc uses his sand in cool ways, but he's kind of dumb with it defensively.

If Croc had watched the Gaara v. Lee fight he would have been fucking pissed that Lee lost.

Also, doesn't the power of Gaara's sand have to do with the fact that it's infused with chakra too? It's not just normal sand like Crocodile's.

Also, would any of you fellers be interested in running a One Piece D20 game with me?

The system is actually a lot of fun, and I can DM it if you guys would like too

Don't really know what this would entail, but I'll give it a shot, sure.

Bandini

For me, it's just not a worthwhile discussion. Sexism in the workplace is an important topic. The pay gap between men and women is important. Cultural attitudes and discrimination are definitely worthy of our attention. The portrayal, and stereotyping of, certain demographics in a broad sense is a talk worth having.

The portrayal of women in an isolated manga is not important, and it's something that's been talked about to death. Compounding the issue is the fact that it's constantly being instigated by a sanctimonious know-it-all who can't seem to have a balanced, reasonable discussion and who actually thinks he's educating people. It's old, it's tired, and mamy people just want to talk about their Japanese comic book about pirates with magical powers without every page being about one person's misguided quest to teach us all about equality.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The thing is we've had like 20 pages worth of this conversation over the last year, there's a reason the mods said to lay off it for a while. It was getting to the point where he was derailing every other conversation in the thread.

The thing is we've had like 20 pages worth of this conversation over the last year, there's a reason the mods said to lay off it for a while. It was getting to the point where he was derailing every other conversation in the thread.
He succeed yet again btw on this point.
But ill try...

So i was arguing with my buddy about zou's arc length today. He thinks its going to be a very long arc again. But idk i see it as little garden length. What about u guys.

No. Why would people find it uncomfortable to talk about sexism? We're adults. We've been over this a million times. The thing is; we've said all that there is to say about it. You're new here, which is very obvious, because this is a discussion that has been had over and over and over again and we already know all that there is to know about it. Is it weird that people don't want to have the same conversation over and over again? Is it weird that people are tired of endless arguments, walls of pointless texts and unnecessary name-calling? If only weird people have common sense, then I'm happy to be weird.

I dont feel that was condescending at all. Also if only the bolded was true in the slightest...

I would agree with you if it werent for the countless pages worth of discussion i have seen in this thread of folks arguing against the existence of some very simple and established sexist issues on OP.

Anyway theres a new chapter tomorrow so lets just move on for now..

So i was arguing with my buddy about zou's arc length today. He thinks its going to be a very long arc again. But idk i see it as little garden length. What about u guys.

I appreciate that you're trying to change the subject, but this is really a pointless discussion. We don't know and why does it even matter? It's impossible to predict things like that.

Nibel

Close it mods

dDa0C1R.gif

(I'm still for the idea that Veelk should start a thread on this in the Offtopic forum tackling the entire Shounen genre and picking OP as an example which might give his essays the attention he wants for them)

Kornflayx

But ill try...

I think it's going to be a shorter arc. Oda's cutting a pretty brisk pace already. But that's a thing he always does well. Arc beginnings are mostly faster and then slows to a crawl in the middle of an arc.

We already had the separation of the crew, the possible new allies, mysterious creatures in the whale tree and the establishment of the big baddy in Jack. It feels to fast for a long arc

SalvaPot

When so many people disagree with your point of view you have to accept that either you are wrong or you are taking your issues to the wrong crowd. Either way is pointless.

Velk, please make a thread on Off-Topic about this issue and I´ll be happy to have the discussion there, just let this be a thread about celebrating One Piece, not dissecting it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Does any one think Oda is going to give some spotlights to the other characters?
For example
Dressrosa: ussop (we already knew Zoro would be strong but never expected God Ussop to be shown)

Zou: Chopper?

I think it's going to be a shorter arc. Oda's cutting a pretty brisk pace already. But that's a thing he always does well. Arc beginnings are mostly faster and then slows to a crawl in the middle of an arc.

We already had the separation of the crew, the possible new allies, mysterious creatures in the whale tree and the establishment of the big baddy in Jack. It feels to fast for a long arc
Yea that's what im thinking too andi honestly dont even think jack will be the big bad guy, can he get to zou that quickly? He should be getting(trying) to get doflamingo back and i assume meeting up with kaido after that. So i wonder. I doubt weeble shows up so soon maybe a mink villian? They seem pretty strong
Does any one think Oda is going to give some spotlights to the other characters?
For example
Dressrosa: ussop (we already knew Zoro would be strong but never expected God Ussop to be shown)

Zou: Chopper?

God i hope so! I need some sanji love. Let zoro,franky and usopp chill out(especially franky and zoro between punk hazard and dressrosa they've been on point perfectly and in the spotlight.) Let nami,chopper,brook,robin and sanji rock out for awhile(luffy is always going to get spotlight

Rebel Leader

Yea that's what im thinking too andi honestly dont even think jack will be the big bad guy, can he get to zou that quickly? He should be getting(trying) to get doflamingo back and i assume meeting up with kaido after that. So i wonder. I doubt weeble shows up so soon maybe a mink villian? They seem pretty strong

God i hope so! I need some sanji love. Let zoro,franky and usopp chill out(especially franky and zoro between punk hazard and dressrosa they've been on point perfectly and in the spotlight.) Let nami,chopper,brook,robin and sanji rock out for awhile(luffy is always going to get spotlight

The reasons why Sanji's wanted poster is alive could be it's own spotlight when it comes about (he could be in a big battle?)

When you think about it, Fishman and Punk Hazard had mini spotlights for some of the characters. Chopper having control of his monster form, sanji use a variation of moon walk.

But I want oda to get them to do something impressive as ussop's snipe with Sugar.

Kornflayx

I can't place Weevil at all. The footprints on Zou point to an elephant (I think) and Jack having an elephant, or mammoth fruit as the figurehead indicates would fit. But what if Oda throws a curveball and makes Weevil have the elephant fruit, since his name means elephant bug in japanese. But then, Wanda said that Jack destroyed the city. I don't know man, this could go any way.

Anyway, I'm more excited for OP than in a long time

Edit: And I want Chopper to have his Sanji pervert moment when he sees the sexy mink women :D

Oxn

But ill try...

No arc will ever be as short as anything pre alabasta

When we say short arc, even 50 is considered short now.

I can't place Weevil at all. The footprints on Zou point to an elephant (I think) and Jack having an elephant, or mammoth fruit as the figurehead indicates would fit. But what if Oda throws a curveball and makes Weevil have the elephant fruit, since his name means elephant bug in japanese. But then, Wanda said that Jack destroyed the city. I don't know man, this could go any way.

Anyway, I'm more excited for OP than in a long time

Edit: And I want Chopper to have his Sanji pervert moment when he sees the sexy mink women :D
Hmmm i didn't kno that about his name that's interesting. Yea wanda did say jack but it was a week ago right? Idk its so weird i assume the guy sanji knocked out was apart of jacks crew? Because he wasn't a mink he jus seemed to have a sheep devil fruit.

Man this is so confusing lol this is the first time oda legit had them separate on different islands(timeskip excluded) nd let alone have a significant amount of time pass

Veelk

Banned
hey Veelk, do you write any of your own stories, or have any story ideas? I'd actually like to talk about that with you sometime if you do.

Yeah, a little. PM me if you want to talk about it, I guess.

Ah, yes, age 18, where you gain status as an adult, where all bias', insecurities, and general human failings simply fade away like acne issues. I think it's clear that, whatever else is going on, there is an element of people who dislike talking about sexism in such a way that they acknowledge that it's part of their culture and part of them. That's why we live in such an enlightened world of hyper rationality.

Look, I don't deny that many people are just as you describe. But the idea that everyone in the thread is so clearminded is unrealistic, and I think you can agree with that much atleast.

For me, it's just not a worthwhile discussion. Sexism in the workplace is an important topic. The pay gap between men and women is important. Cultural attitudes and discrimination are definitely worthy of our attention. The portrayal, and stereotyping of, certain demographics in a broad sense is a talk worth having.

The portrayal of women in an isolated manga is not important, and it's something that's been talked about to death. Compounding the issue is the fact that it's constantly being instigated by a sanctimonious know-it-all who can't seem to have a balanced, reasonable discussion and who actually thinks he's educating people. It's old, it's tired, and mamy people just want to talk about their Japanese comic book about pirates with magical powers without every page being about one person's misguided quest to teach us all about equality.

You know, people often think ad hominems are just insults, when they're actually insults used in a specific way, so if nothing else, it's surprising to see the actual fallacy used in it's correct form for the first time in I don't even know how long. I mean, goddamn. And I'm a teacher now too, apparently, sent here to educate you ignoramuses on what you don't know. Boy, I hope I get upgraded to being a cult leader sometime in the future.

I'd defend myself from this gross misrepresentation by pointing out various inconsistencies, but while LonelyGreyWolf might think that we're all adults who see rationally and clearly, I doubt any amount of evidence is actually going to matter at this point. Well, I can tell you that if I wasn't motivated to make nice with the board, it's posters like you that make it clear what the true worth of that is.

But ill try...

If nothing else, can you atleast be honest about what is actually happening here?

What derails this thread is basically accusations against my character, questioning the validity of it being even a topic. I posted precisely 1 major post on the subject of sexism in OP, and then it was followed by a few exchanges between me Pegasaurus. Post number #14205 to #14217, with not all of them being about that subject. That's how much the discussion has been about sexism. Maybe also #14222 as well if you want to be generous.

From post 14223 to around 14270, it hasn't been about sexism as it pretains to OP at all, but how the board interprets the discussion of sexism and my character. It's been about my posting habits, poster ettiquette, and so on, but not about the actual manga content. I can agree insofar that I contribute to it by replying (such as this lengthy post) to all the horseshit flung my way. But sexism didn't derail this thread this instance. The boards resentment for me and for the discussion topic did. The discussion is now more about metacriticism on the worthiness and nature of discussing sexisk mixed with a bunch of users basically just flaming me, but not sexism itself.

Btw, if there is anything a mod will step in to stop, it's that, since the reason it was stopped last time was because we were starting to discuss the value of criticism itself.

(I'm still for the idea that Veelk should start a thread on this in the Offtopic forum tackling the entire Shounen genre and picking OP as an example which might give his essays the attention he wants for them)

I might do that if I actually read any other shonen. I might start reading Platinum End, and I need to restart Shokugeki no Soma, but that's about it. I talk about One Piece because that's what I am currently reading. I don't have much to say on other shonen.

And I want Chopper to have his Sanji pervert moment when he sees the sexy mink women :D

Well, he's always been extremely shy and childish. This could be the arc where he enters puberty and develops a liking for females, yeah. I can totally see that.

Look, I don't deny that many people are just as you describe. But the idea that everyone in the thread is so clearminded is unrealistic, and I think you can agree with that much atleast.

Fair enough.

Nibel

I might do that if I actually read any other shonen. I might start reading Platinum End, and I need to restart Shokugeki no Soma, but that's about it. I talk about One Piece because that's what I am currently reading. I don't have much to say on other shonen.

You can do it OP specific but the sexism issue is super common in the shounen genre (not saying it isn't in other genres but this is where I notice it the most) and maybe more people might add something to it.

Re: Zou: I really hope there will be some kind of interaction between the elephant and Strawhats/Chopper and not that it's just a walking old 'zombie' with an island on its back. I love the idea of the elephant being old and knowing about the forgotten era.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Or an Island eating a Elephant-Elephant fruit.
I wouldn't put it past this series.

I'd prefer if Zou was a super ancient being on par with the sea kings or something though.

Now, where's that Zou = Thriller Bark monster theory? Excuse me while I go look it up again

Edit:

hqdefault.jpg

Russ T

Banned
edit: nevermind meta-arguments are the absolute lowest of the low, although i would like to know how i was being condescending, because i wasn't trying to, and would like to avoid it in the future!!

I really just wanna know how long Zou's legs are.

smurfx

get some go again
I think if Croc had watched the Gaara/Rock Lee fight, he would never have lost in the desert. Croc uses his sand in cool ways, but he's kind of dumb with it defensively.
croc is really weak. i think there is a reason why he was the first warlord taken down. all the other warlords would have taken him down easy except for maybe moria who is the 2nd weakest.

gdt

How's the anime these days? Just got Hulu Plus so I'm thinking of catching up anime them manga. Left off right after the merman island arc.

Dugna

How's the anime these days? Just got Hulu Plus so I'm thinking of catching up anime them manga. Left off right after the merman island arc.

Watch and read both, its decent no matter how many people says its bad. I personally paid more attention to the backstories of characters in the anime because I didn't speed read through it.

Squishy3

I'm sure some people like it, but the way they have stretched Dressrossa dry made me rip some hairs.
Eh, I'm not as mad about the stretching except for where they ruined Usopp's greatest moment.

The last few episodes have looked nice too. Pink's big suplex on Franky looked really good and they nailed the backstory as usual.

I imagine they'll nail Gear 4 as they've done good with all of Luffy's other new moves.

Eh, I'm not as mad about the stretching except for where they ruined Usopp's greatest moment.

The last few episodes have looked nice too. Pink's big suplex on Franky looked really good and they nailed the backstory as usual.
That backstory in the anime was perfectly done like holy crap! Very impressed.

bjork

croc is really weak. i think there is a reason why he was the first warlord taken down. all the other warlords would have taken him down easy except for maybe moria who is the 2nd weakest.

I think he was taken down more by his arrogance than anything. He was confused when Luffy was hitting him in the underground, but by the time he figured it out, it was too late. But if you're ranking warlords, I would probably agree. Just going by the first 7:

Tier 1 - Mihawk
Tier 2 - Doflamingo/Kuma/Boa/Jimbei
Tier 3 - Moria/Croc

Rebel Leader

I think he was taken down more by his arrogance than anything. He was confused when Luffy was hitting him in the underground, but by the time he figured it out, it was too late. But if you're ranking warlords, I would probably agree. Just going by the first 7:

Tier 1 - Mihawk
Tier 3 - Moria/Croc

I think weevil will be tier 1

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Tier 1 - Mihawk
Tier 3 - Moria/Croc

I'd put Kuma up there with Mihawk. Although Mihawk is flawless the most we've ever seen Kuma damaged was Zoro at Thriller Bark but otherwise he has a whole army of copies of him being handled by the government.

That's pretty high tier to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom