• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandini

Count me in the "Sabo is Makino's baby daddy" group. Kid definitely has his hair, and one of the guys had his hat...

Maybe after he regained his memory, he went back to East Blue? The timing seems about right if the kid is a few months old now... and so what if Makino is is a bit older, she looks good

Count me in the "Sabo is Makino's baby daddy" group. Kid definitely has his hair, and one of the guys had his hat...

Maybe after he regained his memory, he went back to East Blue? The timing seems about right if the kid is a few months old now... and so what if Makino is is a bit older, she looks good

So your headcanon is basically that right after Sabo remembered Ace & Luffy his first thoughts were:

"I have a brother ... who had a smoking hot mother-figure!"

"Time to knock her up!"

?

Sounds legit, I like this theory.

hunnies28

Jack's looking for something on Zou.
Zanji at Zou.
Jack attacks Marines.
The Marines want Sanji alive.

I think Sanji is on the run with whatever Jack wanted.

Break? Freeze me :(

You all trippin' that's Dadan and Sabo's son.

Chariot

It would be amazing if Sanji really died and it's now shown in a flashback. It wouldn't good, but it would be amazing and fresh.

Bandini

So your headcanon is basically that right after Sabo remembered Ace & Luffy his first thoughts were:

"I have a brother ... who had a smoking hot mother-figure!"

"Time to knock her up!"

?

Sounds legit, I like this theory.

I was thinking more like "Hey let me go back to the country I'm from and maybe that will help me get the rest of my memory back and/or move forward with my life" and then when he got to Foosha Village things happened.

Sibersk, if you were referring to me, I wouldn't consider Sabo a main character and he certainly isn't a Strawhat. Oda only said he didn't want romance between the Strawhats, so...

KageZero

I'm in the "Sanji is dead" camp myself. Why?

Characters only die in flashbacks

Well ace didn't die in a flashback... Also to pull it of and kill a main character in a manga like one piece is a bold move and i dobut oda would pull that one out. Also there is no way brook can resurrect dead people as some people are saying around the net, that is in no line with what one piece has showed us so far.
It would be cool if sanji found something about himself during their adventure on zoo and joined jack on his mission for some reason, although the statement about the dead bodies is out of context then.
Eh the break really came at worst possible time

Kreed

One Piece 806:

I'm glad Oda went with the route of Jack being defeated by the marines. While it definitely "de-hypes" him when he eventually confronts Luffy, it would have been "too much" for him to be successful against the marines, especially when Kaidou has to be dealt with, and would have screwed up Oda's power balance too much. I'm also glad Oda quickly reunited some of the Straw Hats. Hopefully this pace continues and he resolves what ever "Sanji is..." is quickly as well (the gimmick ending wasn't necessary IMO, especially with Oda's current break schedule).

Chariot

One Piece 806:

I'm glad Oda went with the route of Jack being defeated by the marines. While it definitely "de-hypes" him when he eventually confronts Luffy, it would have been "too much" for him to be successful against the marines, especially when Kaidou has to be dealt with, and would have screwed up Oda's power balance too much. I'm also glad Oda quickly reunited some of the Straw Hats. Hopefully this pace continues and he resolves what ever "Sanji is..." is quickly as well (the gimmick ending wasn't necessary IMO, especially with Oda's current break schedule).
Yeah, a ship with at least three of the strongest marines? Would been real power creep if he would've pulled that off. Garb, Sengoku and Fujitora are no joke.

Nibel

Yeah, I agree it's cool that that Jack stuff was handled off-screen and that he actually lost - guess that means Flamingo is gone for good (at least for now). Powerful and 'badass' villains are cool and all, but I prefer to see that the marine is still strong in the New World and a force to be reckoned with.

You guys think the next chapter will directly continue from that Nami/Luffy panel or will he switch to something else and keep that Sanji thing a secret for a while?

Well ace didn't die in a flashback... Also to pull it of and kill a main character in a manga like one piece is a bold move and i dobut oda would pull that one out. Also there is no way brook can resurrect dead people as some people are saying around the net, that is in no line with what one piece has showed us so far.
It would be cool if sanji found something about himself during their adventure on zoo and joined jack on his mission for some reason, although the statement about the dead bodies is out of context then.
Eh the break really came at worst possible time

I guess that joke doesn't land as well nowadays since Ace and Whitebeard were pretty decidedly killed in present time =p.

Yeah, in actuality Sanji is probably alive somehow, but I would crack up if it turned out if Oda remained consistent with his rule of "characters die in flashbacks" with a main character like Sanji.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It would be really funny if Sanji died, because it wouldn't even have much impact at this point. He's been as good as dead for the past 2 years.

daveo42

Banned
No way Oda would kill Sanji in a flashback unless he's really trying to mess with his fanbase. Especially after the long lead up to the death of both Whitebeard and Ace.

As Jack was torturing Wanda, Sanji comes in and saves her. Jack defeats Sanji and takes him away with Caesar. As Jack hears of Doffys defeat, he's intercepted by Big Moms ship. They take away Sanji and Caesar. Remember Big Mom had some sort of tea party going on around the time Jack was is Zou. Sanji might have promised to cook for her if they let the crew reach Zou. Jack then goes on his way to rescue Doffy.

That would make for a good explanation.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
We won't get an answer about Sanji next chapter, or the "corpses." These have all been "after the event" hints to make us curious about an event. Next chapter we're going straight into three months of flashback.

Lexxism

Yeah, a ship with at least three of the strongest marines? Would been real power creep if he would've pulled that off. Garb, Sengoku and Fujitora are no joke.

Garp wasn't on the ship (unless I'm missing something) unless you were talking about Tsuru.

Kreed

Yeah, I agree it's cool that that Jack stuff was handled off-screen and that he actually lost - guess that means Flamingo is gone for good (at least for now). Powerful and 'badass' villains are cool and all, but I prefer to see that the marine is still strong in the New World and a force to be reckoned with.

You guys think the next chapter will directly continue from that Nami/Luffy panel or will he switch to something else and keep that Sanji thing a secret for a while?

It's possible Oda could switch perspectives, but there isn't much else he could switch to. Everyone excluding the Samurais, Law's crew, and Brooke/Sanji/Momo are all in one place now, and we've been getting updates for a lot of the supporting cast for the past couple of chapters now, to the point where there's not much else to "update" us on. But even then, we would have to go back to Luffy's perspective anyway at Oda's current pace, so he would just be delaying things a couple of pages. I'm going with the first panel of the next chapter Nami completing her sentence.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

When they showed the kid on the cover again this week I immediately went "ohhhhh, it's Sabo's!" Oda wouldn't be putting a focus on the baby every time they look in at Fuusha Village if the kid wasn't going to be important.

It would make sense that Goa Kingdom would be one of the first places Sabo would go to after regaining his memories, likely to see Dadan and explain why he wasn't there for Ace, and Makino is literally the only person in Fuusha Village who ever really knew Sabo. They would probably connect rather easily, given the circumstances.

Chariot

Garp wasn't on the ship (unless I'm missing something) unless you were talking about Tsuru.
He wasn't? Oh, I lived a lie for months. But Tsuru is also reasonably strong (althought I THINK not as strong as Garp, but you never know with these old folk).

Korosenai

I just want to see jack already. Tired of seeing his face only. His eyes look insane though, can't wait to see what kind of design oda made for him.

What if, since the New World story arcs have been a reflection of the first half of the series, and, rather than Zou being like Mocktown where it's meant to be a lead into the main event (Wano: a mysterious country that the common man has little knowledge of and has developed its own culture independent from the rest of the known world).

Looking at it like this, what if Jack is really more like Bellemy was, i.e. someone with a totally inflated ego because he's working under someone much bigger than he'll ever be, causing him to constantly act recklessly (see his confidence in attacking a marine ship). Not saying he'll be weak, mind you; Bellemy was by no accounts weak even when Luffy first fought him, but was just completely outclassed by Luffy.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is that I kind of want to see Jack get absolutely stomped by Luffy. Luffy needs to show how much of a presence he has in the New World, and I think all this build up of Jack is doing making him seem like a greater threat than he probably really is to Luffy. Sanji? Sure, probably gave him a lot of problems. But Luffy just took down a man who was by all accounts just underneath the Yonkou and Admirals. It's too hard for me to buy at this point that some minor name in the New World that we've barely heard about until now is seriously going to cause a lot of problems. Having Luffy one shot Jack would be a great way to establish that Luffy is done with randoms now and that he's ready for the big boys. The only character I could possibly see causing problems for Luffy is maybe whoever the villain of Wano, which would most likely be the Shogun. Oda's already established that the World Government doesn't deal with Wano due to how insanely strong the Samurai are, so it stands to reason that, based on how One Piece power tiers generally work, the man who commands the Samurai is going to be in a class of his own

Chariot

I just want to see jack already. Tired of seeing his face only. His eyes look insane though, can't wait to see what kind of design oda made for him.
Knowing Oda it could be something silly. You can't even imagine how underwhelmed I was when T-Bone was revealed. :,(

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So now that we have a translation worth a damn...

Who was Jack looking for on Zou? Ceasar? Sanji?!??

Neat that the elephant has an actual name beyond just "elephant." Zunisha.

"Mink" being the term for their fur specifically, also interesting. And dog-lady chasing dat rubber bone, aw yiss.

bjork

Oda's already established that the World Government doesn't deal with Wano due to how insanely strong the Samurai are, so it stands to reason that, based on how One Piece power tiers generally work, the man who commands the Samurai is going to be in a class of his own

This bit makes me think he'll be an ally following whatever does happen in Wano.

This bit makes me think he'll be an ally following whatever does happen in Wano.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'd find it hard to believe at this point that anyone outside of the Yonkou, Admirals, and maybe Weebles (since he's been established as having the strength of a young Whitebeard) as posing a serious threat to Luffy now. Basically, anyone who's a seriously major name in the New World who would believably be an enemy to Luffy. The only character I'd believe who could take Luffy on and be a threat who COULD be a villain is the Shogun of Wano. He may not end up being a villain at all. I'm just saying he's the only character who I could believe becoming a major threat who's not really a "name" in the world at this point, if he does in fact turn out to be a villain at all.

bjork

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'd find it hard to believe at this point that anyone outside of the Yonkou, Admirals, and maybe Weebles (since he's been established as having the strength of a young Whitebeard) as posing a serious threat to Luffy now. Basically, anyone who's a seriously major name in the New World who would believably be an enemy to Luffy. The only character I'd believe who could take Luffy on and be a threat who COULD be a villain is the Shogun of Wano. He may not end up being a villain at all. I'm just saying he's the only character who I could believe becoming a major threat who's not really a "name" in the world at this point, if he does in fact turn out to be a villain at all.

Oh, I agree. Luffy can thump 99% of the people in the OP world by this point. Maybe there's a misunderstanding and he fights the Shogun on his native soil, then they end up being friends by the end of the arc. It would line up with the Skypeia comparisons that have been floating around, too. Looking forward to it, either way.

Oh, I agree. Luffy can thump 99% of the people in the OP world by this point. Maybe there's a misunderstanding and he fights the Shogun on his native soil, then they end up being friends by the end of the arc. It would line up with the Skypeia comparisons that have been floating around, too. Looking forward to it, either way.

I can definitely see something like that happening where Luffy and the Shogun get into a misunderstanding (maybe he just hates foreigners and tries to drive him out without realizing he's a guest of Kinemon and Kanjuro) and then the reall villain shows up for the real event (probably Weebles; I could see Oda putting up Luffy against someone who's equivalent to a Yonkou to show he's ready to take on an actual Yonkou).

Squishy3

So now that we have a translation worth a damn...

Who was Jack looking for on Zou? Ceasar? Sanji?!??

Neat that the elephant has an actual name beyond just "elephant." Zunisha.

"Mink" being the term for their fur specifically, also interesting. And dog-lady chasing dat rubber bone, aw yiss.
Jack was told about Caesar back when Caesar's defeat was broadcast to all the underworld brokers.

65mA4.png

We still don't know why Law wanted to go to Zou as part of his plan. Maybe Jack was looking for Law or Caesar since he expected him to go straight there instead of to Dressrosa. There might be a bit of misdirection here since we are told to worry about Sanji we don't think about Caesar or Momo. Also Capone was involved so it's not straightforward at all to work out what is going on.

Nibel

It's possible Oda could switch perspectives, but there isn't much else he could switch to. Everyone excluding the Samurais, Law's crew, and Brooke/Sanji/Momo are all in one place now, and we've been getting updates for a lot of the supporting cast for the past couple of chapters now, to the point where there's not much else to "update" us on. But even then, we would have to go back to Luffy's perspective anyway at Oda's current pace, so he would just be delaying things a couple of pages. I'm going with the first panel of the next chapter Nami completing her sentence.

Well, he sometimes switches to places you don't expect or characters that aren't introduced yet (Weeble for example). I hope you are right though, we already had a Sanji focused cliffhanger and I'd prefer Oda to reveal the secret behind that in the next chapter.

We still don't know why Law wanted to go to Zou as part of his plan. Maybe Jack was looking for Law or Caesar since he expected him to go straight there instead of to Dressrosa. There might be a bit of misdirection here since we are told to worry about Sanji we don't think about Caesar or Momo. Also Capone was involved so it's not straightforward at all to work out what is going on.

It basically sounded like he felt Bepo would be safe there as he's a Mink while he's on his suicide mission.

Maybe I misinterpreted his reasoning though.

Kater

Banned
Break again, oh well. At least I now know about what happened to Jack. I liked the silly animated giant cat. :3

The two women that are with Luffy are a bit weird, what with the licking and biting and all that. I liked that the Minks seem to be really friendly to the Strawhats unlike what I expected at first but I guess it won't take long for conflict to arrive. I hope we'll learn some more about their lore until then.

All I want to see in the flashback of Brooke being appreciative to some of the dog mink because something FINALLY found his bones to look appetizing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Law said he never actually expected to go to Zou and see his crew again. His assault on Doflamingo was intended to essentially be a suicide mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom