• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I can't remember if they didn't have the blueprints to pluton, so they wanted them or they already had access to pluton, but wanted to remove the odds of a counter-pluton. Since they didn't have the blueprints yet, Robin was going to be used to decode ancient weapon texts/poneglyphs. I feel like the anime mentioned this, but it could've just been assumption.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah I just perused the chapters again. Spandam wants Franky and Robin because of Pluton. Franky because he has the blueprints, Robin because of her connection to Ohara. He says as much when the Straw Hats are standing by the bridge. Then Franky burns the blueprints.

V1ZSQ6K.png

At that point, Robin is the only remaining connection to Pluton. Spandam's motivations throughout the arc are "for his promotion," he wants to hand Franky and Robin over to the government as connections to Pluton. With Franky now irrelevant, Robin is his precious remaining treasure.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah I just perused the chapters again. Spandam wants Franky and Robin because of Pluton. Franky because he has the blueprints, Robin because of her connection to Ohara. He says as much when the Straw Hats are standing by the bridge. Then Franky burns the blueprints.

V1ZSQ6K.png

At that point, Robin is the only remaining connection to Pluton. Spandam's motivations throughout the arc are "for his promotion," he wants to hand Franky and Robin over to the government as connections to Pluton. With Franky now irrelevant, Robin is his precious remaining treasure.

Yeah, that seems like it definitively answers Robin's general worth, though I still have a few question/quibbles

1. For clarities sake, is it that Robin knows how to build Pluton or how to find Pluton? I'm a little confused by that because Crocodile was looking for that particular weapon wheras Franky could build it, and Croc seemed to need the Polegylph in Alabasta to do it, which I don't think the WG knows about.

2. Is getting Pluton a Spandam motivation or a WG motivation? Because if it's a WG motive, then why now, of all times? Why didn't they capture and turn/coerce/enslave the archeologists from Ohara instead of blowing them up instead?

3. Why doesn't the WG have their own group of researchers? The main reason that everyone else have a pain in the ass trying to read the poleglyph is because that knowledge is suppressed by the WG, which obviously wouldn't be the case with the WG leading the research team. After all, besides the Poleglyph itself, the Ohara scholars only had materials that were allowed by the Gov to study from. It seems highly unbelievable that the WG suppressed the information so hard that only recently they went "Oh shit, now we don't know how to get the weapons either!"

4. While I understand the importance of getting Pluton, at some point, it gets pretty ridiculous when it's clear that the strawhats are about to escape. The situation is that they can either kill them all and no one gets Pluton, or the strawhats escape with her and pirates get pluton. Given that getting the information out of Robin would be a dicey proposition on it's own, given that she has no inclination to tell her the truth and they have no way of verifying if she did until it's too late, it seems kind of foolish to keep her alive under those circumstances.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pluton is a ship that was built. Franky was handed down the plans for a ship that matches or beats Pluton. Presumably the location of the already built Pluton was on the ponyglyph in Alabasta.

smurfx

get some go again
i wonder if zou will have a poneglyph with the location of uranus. would be cool if we find out that it's located at mariejoa.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, that seems like it definitively answers Robin's general worth, though I still have a few question/quibbles

1. For clarifities sake, is it that Robin knows how to build Pluton or how to find Pluton? I'm a little confused by that because Crocodile was looking for that particular weapon wheras Franky could build it, and Croc seemed to need the Polegylph in Alabasta to do it, which I don't think the WG knows about.

2. Is getting Pluton a Spandam motivation or a WG motivation? Because if it's a WG motive, then why now, of all times? Why didn't they capture and turn/coerce/enslave the archeologists from Ohara instead of blowing them up instead?

3. Why doesn't the WG have their own group of researchers? The main reason that everyone else have a pain in the ass trying to read the poleglyph is because that knowledge is suppressed by the WG, which obviously wouldn't be the case with the WG leading the research team. After all, besides the Poleglyph itself, the Ohara scholars only had materials that were allowed by the Gov to study from. It seems highly unbelievable that the WG suppressed the information so hard that only recently they went "Oh shit, now we don't know how to get the weapons either!"

4. While I understand the importance of getting Pluton, at some point, it gets pretty ridiculous when it's clear that the strawhats are about to escape. The situation is that they can either kill them all and no one gets Pluton, or the strawhats escape with her and pirates get pluton. Given that getting the information out of Robin would be a dicey proposition on it's own, given that she has no inclination to tell her the truth and they have no way of verifying if she did until it's too late, it seems kind of foolish to keep her alive under those circumstances.
1. The poneglyphs tell the tale of how to construct Pluton; I believe this is implied, but it's the only reason they'd want her. She does not know how to build Pluton.

2. It's technically both, but it's truly a WG motivation. If Spandam scores a direct source to Pluton he'd be named a hero to history, promoted, etc. That's his motivation.

3. The only thing I can think of besides "looking too much into it" is that the Oharan library had most of mankind's recorded history. Using those texts and years of research, they were able to make progress. Robin was called a once in a generation genius by her peers at Ohara for learning how to read poneglyphs at such a young age, so it's probably pretty hard to figure out. To piggy back off of the previous "marines are short sighted / super dumb", The WG also seems to want to bury everything that happened during the void century, so they'd rather just eliminate everyone related to it. Now due to the rise of the revolutionaries, they're probably feeling the pressure and want to get ready for the inevitable multi-country showdown.

4. The marines are pretty dumb. Spandam in particular gets blinded by pride, but even he eventually went to the kill them all plan. I'm guessing Aokiji never interfered since this was a long ongoing favor for his giant buddy, Jaguar D Saul.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pluton is a ship that was built. Franky was handed down the plans for a ship that matches or beats Pluton. Presumably the location of the already built Pluton was on the ponyglyph in Alabasta.

Yeah, Robin knows where Pluton is, because of that poneglyph. I don't think the WG knows that she read it there, but just knows she can read poneglyphs, and that's the kind of information on poneglyphs.

That said, I suppose they might know that specific poneglyph has the info on it, since Cobra knew, and might've known that Crocodile was pursuing it with Robin at his side, and might just have put 2 and 2 together.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder what Uranus would be? Pluton is a gigantic battleship, Poseidon is a being who can control sea kings... would Uranus fit thematically in there somehow?

Part of me wants it to be a giant laser located on the moon

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well, Uranus is a sky deity. Pluto is underworld god, Pluton is battleship weapon, death-dealing. Poseidon is sea god, controls things in the sea. The pairing seems pretty consistent, we're probably looking for something sky-related. Or yeah, moon related. I wonder if Enel found it up there, or if it's on some sky island.

NSESN

Well, Uranus is a sky deity. Pluto is underworld god, Pluton is battleship weapon, death-dealing. Poseidon is sea god, controls things in the sea. The pairing seems pretty consistent, we're probably looking for something sky-related. Or yeah, moon related. I wonder if Enel found it up there, or if it's on some sky island.

I think the same, maybe Enel will know something about Uranus

Speaking of Enies Lobby, I just wanna mention how amazing Oda's art was during that arc. Every facial expression Robin make is so spot-on and emotional. That era of OP was some of the best art of OP, although I do like the detail in the current art style too.

Veelk

Banned
That said, I suppose they might know that specific poneglyph has the info on it, since Cobra knew, and might've known that Crocodile was pursuing it with Robin at his side, and might just have put 2 and 2 together.
Wait a minute, they knew about the poleglyph at alabasta? Do they know about others and also leave them alone? Why in the seven hells would they not confiscate them? They should be keeping them in some deep warehouse Raiders of the lost arc style.

These guys are more transparent than the illuminati.

Dugna

Wait a minute, they knew about the poleglyph at alabasta? Do they know about others and also leave them alone? Why in the seven hells would they not confiscate them? They should be keeping them in some deep warehouse Raiders of the lost arc style.

These guys are more transparent than the illuminati.

If the only ones normally inside the area who know about the poneglyph are royalty or in the case of Skypiea people who cannot read it but have not many connections to the blue sea. The WG has less to worry about then if the ones who know are sided with them or they're to isolated to do anything with the info. Taking away a huge stone slab with weird writing would arouse more suspicion then just leaving it alone.

Also those people don't have the means to travel to every poneglyph like the strawhats or Roger's crew did to collect and tell the full story of the void.

Speaking of Enies Lobby, I just wanna mention how amazing Oda's art was during that arc. Every facial expression Robin make is so spot-on and emotional. That era of OP was some of the best art of OP, although I do like the detail in the current art style too.

This and the general character spotlight on Franky and Robin were why that arc nailed it.

There was a real sense of urgency that I don't think has been replicated as well since.

Veelk

Banned
If the only ones normally inside the area who know about the poneglyph are royalty or in the case of Skypiea people who cannot read it but have not many connections to the blue sea. The WG has less to worry about then if the ones who know are sided with them or they're to isolated to do anything with the info. Taking away a huge stone slab with weird writing would arouse more suspicion then just leaving it alone.

Also those people don't have the means to travel to every poneglyph like the strawhats or Roger's crew did to collect and tell the full story of the void.

Suspicion is not the issue. Everyone knows that Poleglyphs are stuff the WG doesn't want read as much as they know they want the Void Century under wraps. And they don't even have to know that the marines are taking a poleglyph. They can hide it. Leaving them unguarded and unmonitored when they could have them under lock and key and studied is mindnumbing. As it is, they wouldn't even know if the Revolutionaries decoded enough of them to own the weapons until it was too late.

This and the general character spotlight on Franky and Robin were why that arc nailed it.

There was a real sense of urgency that I don't think has been replicated as well since.

I'll agree that it is one of my preferred arcs. It's drama is both external and internal, the latter being a truly rare trait in the story.

I feel sp weird in the one piece community sometimes like i enjoy ennies lobby but it was never this crazy arc that got me super excited. When i tell people my top 5 i get looked at incredibly side ways lol.
1.thriller bark
2.Dressrosa
3.skypiea
4.drum island
5.alabasta

Veelk

Banned
Everyone?

I mean, that's my assumption. If the WG don't bother covering up the fact that there is a major hole in history, I don't see why they would hide that the Poleglyphs are the key to it. After all, the study of Poleglyphs is illegal. The ownership of them is seemingly not.

But fine, I might be off. All the more reason then for the WG to be all "Oh, these giant blocks of texts? They're actually my great-great-great-great-great grandmothers ancient apple pie recipe. Been looking for them all these for years! Let us take them off your hands, since you can't read them anyway."

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel sp weird in the one piece community sometimes like i enjoy ennies lobby but it was never this crazy arc that got me super excited. When i tell people my top 5 i get looked at incredibly side ways lol.
1.thriller bark
2.Dressrosa
3.skypiea
4.drum island
5.alabasta
Enies Lobby was a turning point in OP battles, which is why it's so well liked. Everyone's capabilities got turned up a notch. Luffy got his gears, Zoro manifested his spirit through his sword, Sanji got his fire technique, Usopp got a giant slingshot, Nami got her clima tact (biggest upgrade, I think), Chopper became a giant monster, Robin got a personality, and Franky joined.

Skypiea -> Enies Lobby is the highlight of the series, IMO.

bjork

I mean, that's my assumption. If the WG don't bother covering up the fact that there is a major hole in history, I don't see why they would hide that the Poleglyphs are the key to it. After all, the study of Poleglyphs is illegal. The ownership of them is seemingly not.

But fine, I might be off. All the more reason then for the WG to be all "Oh, these giant blocks of texts? They're actually my great-great-great-great-great grandmothers ancient apple pie recipe. Been looking for them all these for years! Let us take them off your hands, since you can't read them anyway."

Did the WG take the one that was in Ohara? I forget if the story said, it's been a few months since I did that reread. That's the only one I can recall being in a public place, aside from the one given to Jimbei. And those people just seemed happy to make peace with Wadatsumi, so who knows if anyone there knew what it was for.

I think Poneglyphs are too few and far between for the WG to take them seriously. Besides Ohara and some royal family members (like Cobra) who are descendants of the original royal families, no one should know what they are and an even fewer amount should know how to read them. Roger is an interesting exception, and I'd love to learn how he came to know how to read the language.

RomanceDawn

It's funny because in many circles Enies Lobby is looked down upon because of the drawn out fighting and power level structure mentioned. I personally loved the fighting and the whole power level angle making total fun of the whole Sanji Zoro rivalry.

Veelk I'm absolutely certain the WG does not know about the Poneglyph in Alabasta.

Cloud, Roger has that ability to hear the voice of all things remember? He couldn't actually read the text. Now this ability is inherited by Luffy. So I guess he can just talk to walls, plants, rocks and scabs.

Veelk

Banned
Did the WG take the one that was in Ohara? I forget if the story said, it's been a few months since I did that reread. That's the only one I can recall being in a public place, aside from the one given to Jimbei. And those people just seemed happy to make peace with Wadatsumi, so who knows if anyone there knew what it was for.

No idea. The last scene where the Ohara Poleglyph was shown was the inspectors having found it. They were just looking at it, thinking it was creepy how it couldn't be damaged. From there, we just saw them bombing the place, and then later inspected the island the island again, where they found a bunch of books in the lake the scholars had thrown in. There's no indication if they confiscated either the stone or the books (or burned them).

I think Poneglyphs are too few and far between for the WG to take them seriously. Besides Ohara and some royal family members (like Cobra) who are descendants of the original royal families, no one should know what they are and an even fewer amount should know how to read them. Roger is an interesting exception, and I'd love to learn how he came to know how to read the language.

Well, then they can't blame anyone but themselves when some jackass finally stumbles onto Pluton by sheer accident and rams it up their collective asses. This is an organization that is willing to burn entire islands to eradicate knowledge not just of WMD's but of the kingdom they defeated nearly a century ago because their ideals are not something that they apparently jive with, but are also too careless and lazy to confiscate the only things that can lead people to both those things for reasons of "Eh, it'll probably be fine"?

Enies Lobby was a turning point in OP battles, which is why it's so well liked. Everyone's capabilities got turned up a notch. Luffy got his gears, Zoro manifested his spirit through his sword, Sanji got his fire technique, Usopp got a giant slingshot, Nami got her clima tact (biggest upgrade, I think), Chopper became a giant monster, Robin got a personality, and Franky joined.

Yea the capabilities part is probably my favorite part honestly it was the next step up for all of them..although it became completely irrelevant like two arcs later(damn oda kindo did them dirty in that sense lol)

Squishy3

Roger could understand them because he had the ability to hear all things. So he couldn't "read them" per se, but he could understand them.

SolVanderlyn

Yea the capabilities part is probably my favorite part honestly it was the next step up for all of them..although it became completely irrelevant like two arcs later(damn oda kindo did them dirty in that sense lol)
Kind of, although they did use their EL upgrades as a base for their New World upgrades. If anyone got gipped in the first part of the series it was Brook.

"Hey guys, I've joined the crew"

*THE CREW HAS DISBANDED*

bjork

Roger could understand them because he had the ability to hear all things. So he couldn't "read them" per se, but he could understand them.

But he etched a message in the one on Skypeia. I guess it could've been by feeling, but that seems like selling Roger short somehow.

I'm really interested to know what the void century is all about, but the longer the series goes without a reveal, the more I think I'm building expectations that won't be met. I'm not exactly sure what I expect, but it needs to be huge to justify everything related that's happened.

Of course, whatever is revealed when they reach Raftel will tell the tale of why Luffy and crew end up taking on the government or the celestials or whoever, so it'll come sooner than later. But still. When was the first Raftel reveal, when they met Robin on their ship after Whiskey Peak? That's a long time to tease a place.

But he etched a message in the one on Skypeia. I guess it could've been by feeling, but that seems like selling Roger short somehow.

I'm really interested to know what the void century is all about, but the longer the series goes without a reveal, the more I think I'm building expectations that won't be met. I'm not exactly sure what I expect, but it needs to be huge to justify everything related that's happened.

Of course, whatever is revealed when they reach Raftel will tell the tale of why Luffy and crew end up taking on the government or the celestials or whoever, so it'll come sooner than later. But still. When was the first Raftel reveal, when they met Robin on their ship after Whiskey Peak? That's a long time to tease a place.

Pretty sure it was when they met Crocus. 100 chapters in when the series was only a couple years old.

But yeah, I agree. It's exactly what happened with Naruto and then it all fell apart from the buildup.

Kind of, although they did use their EL upgrades as a base for their New World upgrades. If anyone got gipped in the first part of the series it was Brook.

"Hey guys, I've joined the crew"

*THE CREW HAS DISBANDED*
Yea that's what i love about the new world straw hats actually all their upgrades make so much sense it doesn't feel like a bs powerup or like they came out of nowhere.

Yea i agree brook needs to do more. He did pretty well in punk hazard tho.

RomanceDawn

Rayleigh explained it very clearly. If anything Roger listened to the glyphs and mimicked what he could to write it. He could understand the ancient language but not read and decipher it like Robin. It was very super clearly stated.

The ancient history probably deals with space aliens colonizing on the planet and the 20 Kings(19 actually, as 1 of them only pretended to go along with the other 19) wanted no part of that. At first glance it seems like the WG is evil evil evil for hiding everything away, especially with how they go about it, but ever since the discussion with Rayleigh it's pretty easy to see that there must be a lot of gray areas that actually might give solid reasoning to hide everything away.

SolVanderlyn

Rayleigh's comment was super ominous. "Even if you knew, there's nothing you could do about it."

About what? Do what? Is there something about the world that people really are better off not knowing?

It's going to be so long before we find out. D:

bjork

I forget exactly when it was, but I remember Luffy telling someone "I heard you." I wonder if he has a similar skill to Roger's, but Luffy is such a free spirit that he doesn't utilize it outside of fights.

Rayleigh's comment was super ominous. "Even if you knew, there's nothing you could do about it."

About what? Do what? Is there something about the world that people really are better off not knowing?

Yeah the reveal of the void century will obviously tie together with them finally getting the One Piece and will subsequently decide how the series will end. Getting this right will make or break the ending so i really hope Oda doesnt disappoint.

RomanceDawn

I forget exactly when it was, but I remember Luffy telling someone "I heard you." I wonder if he has a similar skill to Roger's, but Luffy is such a free spirit that he doesn't utilize it outside of fights.

At the end of Fishman Island the massive Sea Kings acknowledged that Luffy could understand them. This was Luffy's first use of this ability. This might be the moment you are thinking of?

Most people liken Luffy to Roger, personality and all. Shanks, Kokoro, Crocus, Smoker and even things said by Garp all match them up very well. As far as I'm concerned Luffy is basically Roger reincarnated.

Veelk

Banned
At the end of Fishman Island the massive Sea Kings acknowledged that Luffy could understand them. This was Luffy's first use of this ability. This might be the moment you are thinking of?

Probably Vivi, as she was yelling for the fighting to stop. Problem with that example is that the reason Luffy could have heard her might have been due to the fact that she was crying into his chest at the time.

Well, then they can't blame anyone but themselves when some jackass finally stumbles onto Pluton by sheer accident and rams it up their collective asses. This is an organization that is willing to burn entire islands to eradicate knowledge not just of WMD's but of the kingdom they defeated nearly a century ago because their ideals are not something that they apparently jive with, but are also too careless and lazy to confiscate the only things that can lead people to both those things for reasons of "Eh, it'll probably be fine"?
Agreed. I'm not sure why, for the last 800 years, the WG didn't think to turn the world upside down and get rid of very Poneglyph they could. The only thing I can think of is that they don't know where all of them are, but even still what would make Luffy and his crew super fucking lucky to find the exact Poneglyph's they need to piece things together.

Well supposedly Roger was super strong so it's likely strength had little to do with whatever he couldn't do. It's probably going to be something like being able to listen to the voice of the planet/haki/some spirit thing that determines the fate of everyone in the world.

Probably Vivi, as she was yelling for the fighting to stop. Problem with that example is that the reason Luffy could have heard her might have been due to the fact that she was crying into his chest at the time.
The scene was right after Crocodile said "No one can hear you!" representing the fact that all her efforts were in vain and she couldn't reach the rebels/royal army with her ideals. So I think it should be taken more figuratively rather than "I literally hear you," Luffy can "hear" Vivi's wish for peace when it seems like no one else can.

Veelk

Banned
Agreed. I'm not sure why, for the last 800 years, the WG didn't think to turn the world upside down and get rid of very Poneglyph they could. The only thing I can think of is that they don't know where all of them are, but even still what would make Luffy and his crew super fucking lucky to find the exact Poneglyph's they need to piece things together.

Missing a few poleglyphs on their own is understandable. If the WG doesn't know about where they are, then that's the answer to why they let them lie around. But why they don't have their own dedicated research team deciphering the language so they could get the weapons themselves is not.

The scene was right after Crocodile said "No one can hear you!" representing the fact that all her efforts were in vain and she couldn't reach the rebels/royal army with her ideals. So I think it should be taken more figuratively rather than "I literally hear you," Luffy can "hear" Vivi's wish for peace when it seems like no one else can.

It should be noted that Vivi was also yelling from atop the palace to the people fighting way down. At this point, Vivi has no idea what else she can do, so now she's just resorted to yelling from afar. The sequence works literally, though you can take it figuratively if you wish.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Keep in mind that they can't be destroyed, so it's either hide them or try and move them and if they try and move them there's no way to keep them a secret any more. There would be a leak. By leaving them where they are only a small number of people even know about them and they wiped out everyone who could possibly read them, except for Robin. The only danger that comes from leaving them where they are is coming from Robin, no one else can even make use of them that they know of. So there's really no reason to expend a whole lot of effort to move them as all it would do is alert more people to their existence.

NSESN

One of the worst things in one piece imo is that Luffy is like the reincarnation of Roger, it is like Luffy is only going to ne the pirate king because he is like roger and not his own merits

I still really want to know who Joyboy is.

1.thriller bark
2.Dressrosa
3.skypiea
4.drum island
5.alabasta

Oh wow

Thriller Bark is the worst arc in the series imo

the rest of the list is ok though. Enies Lobby/Water 7 should be on it though

while I'm inclined to agree, Sabaody -> War is also great, and Dressrosa -> Current is also very good as well, so I'm torn. Hopefully it just gets better from here, because I really like the Dressrosa arc, and am enjoying the current arc as well, so Enies Lobby might get dethroned as my favorite arc soon.

It's funny because in many circles Enies Lobby is looked down upon because of the drawn out fighting and power level structure mentioned. I personally loved the fighting and the whole power level angle making total fun of the whole Sanji Zoro rivalry.

Veelk I'm absolutely certain the WG does not know about the Poneglyph in Alabasta.

Cloud, Roger has that ability to hear the voice of all things remember? He couldn't actually read the text. Now this ability is inherited by Luffy. So I guess he can just talk to walls, plants, rocks and scabs.

I don't think it's necessarily like that. I think he has the ability to understand all living things, and to hear the voices of the people and beings who left their will behind in certain objects, i.e. the poneglyphs. Luffy has yet to come into contact with a poneglyph, so we don't know exactly how that works yet. Can he read them, or just understand the voices of those who created them?

Rayleigh explained it very clearly. If anything Roger listened to the glyphs and mimicked what he could to write it. He could understand the ancient language but not read and decipher it like Robin. It was very super clearly stated.

The ancient history probably deals with space aliens colonizing on the planet and the 20 Kings(19 actually, as 1 of them only pretended to go along with the other 19) wanted no part of that. At first glance it seems like the WG is evil evil evil for hiding everything away, especially with how they go about it, but ever since the discussion with Rayleigh it's pretty easy to see that there must be a lot of gray areas that actually might give solid reasoning to hide everything away.

I really hope Aliens don't play a part in this. Although it might be a way to explain the origin of Devil Fruits and the like.

Eh, I'd be ok with it I guess.

The Sea Kings at the End of Fishman Island. They say the last person who was able to understand them was Roger, so it's pretty clear that they have a similar, if not the same ability. There are many parallels drawn between Luffy and Roger in OP.

Luffy is basically Roger's second coming.

Keep in mind that they can't be destroyed, so it's either hide them or try and move them and if they try and move them there's no way to keep them a secret any more. There would be a leak. By leaving them where they are only a small number of people even know about them and they wiped out everyone who could possibly read them, except for Robin. The only danger that comes from leaving them where they are is coming from Robin, no one else can even make use of them that they know of. So there's really no reason to expend a whole lot of effort to move them as all it would do is alert more people to their existence.

Also, another thing to note is that if they did decide to uproot all the Poneglyphs and transport them to one spot, it would be absolutely devastating if someone who knew how to read them, or understand them, managed to ascertain the location of the Poneglyphs and break into that spot. That person would have all the knowledge of the Void Century in a matter of hours.

It's almost more convenient for the WG to leave the Poneglyphs scattered throughout the world, because Robin, and anyone else who may be able to read them, has absolutely no idea when or where she'll find one.

It should be noted that Vivi was also yelling from atop the palace to the people fighting way down. At this point, Vivi has no idea what else she can do, so now she's just resorted to yelling from afar. The sequence works literally, though you can take it figuratively if you wish.
Oh, I know. Just saying that with all the voices stuff it wouldn't surprise me that Oda intended to have a deeper meaning to that scene.

How would it be impossible? Over hundreds of years I'm sure they could have found a way to give some form of order without question. If the WG knows that there is a possibility that someone might eventually translate these things and do something about it, then they're boned.

Then again, Roger did just that to (I think) little effect, since the WG don't seem to have changed much after his actions.

I do agree with you though, but it's just me questioning why.

Veelk

Banned

I say it's the opposite. If no one knows of their existence, then moving them covertly would be a simple matter of putting a large cloak over them. What are people gonna say? "Oh, the WG is moving a large block. MUST BE THEIR SECRET WEAKNESS!" They can either explicitly classify it or better yet if they make up some kind of pretense for a cover, they'll be able to remove any public attention besides them just being noticed. They can even alter the cover on the stones, so they won't even know they're cube shaped. How would anyone even guess that they are poleglyphs? Not even most of the marines would have to have an understanding of what they are. They can just be given a mission to move the giant cubes. They just need to understand that it's important and that they need to keep quiet about it. That way, they can't even divulge accidental information.

From there, getting rid of them would be the easiest thing in the world. There is a seemingly bottomless pit in the world where Enies Lobby is located. If it actually does lead nowhere, then they could just chuck the things over the edge and never have to worry about them again. That's just if I want them gone. If I want the weapons, they study them in a secret facility. Literally the only weakness of that plan is that they'd be putting their eggs in one basket, but if I were in charge, I would prefer that by miles than squaring them away in random places in the world and hoping no one finds them without so much as having any way to check that they haven't been tampered with. Even the transportation wouldn't be too huge a risk. The Poleglyph is too difficult to steal and they could have orders to sink the ship if they were about to lose a naval battle. Then how could anyone capture it? It'd be stuck to the bottom of the sea, with the Sea Kings? Even Fishmen wouldn't be able to get them then, or if they could, the WG could get their own and capture it first. Being in a facility, knowing where they are, it's possible to set a great amount of security on them, in addition to the security of secrecy they possess already. And once they do decode the information that allows them to build mega warships or whatever Pluton is, the marines basically unstoppable.

So, in the way it is now, people being largely ignorant of them and how to read them is the only thing keeping, say, Kaido from getting his hands on Pluton. And given that the researchers of Ohara learned to decipher what they had by reading books that are publicly available, someone is going to do it with enough time and luck. It's an inevitability. In my proposition, people would be mostly similarly ignorant, but now the Marines could account for them, defend them, and, with time, make them obsolete by getting the weapons they are hiding before the pirates do. The only trade off for this is that a few more people, most of whom would be the researchers under the WG thumb, and they could easily track them.

Luigi87

During my OP rewatch I'm remembering the one thing that bothered me about Skypiea...

The fight with Satori is so friggin long.

1.thriller bark
2.Dressrosa
3.skypiea
4.drum island
5.alabasta

I like Thriller Bark, but I'm not sure how I'd place it... probably enjoy it as much as Skypiea. Being said, Moria and Perona have two of my favourite laugh styles in the series.

The feel of the series became quite different to me after Enies Lobby, into Sabaody.

SolVanderlyn

Joyboy is probably a reference to Joyoboyo. He was like the Javanese King Arthur. The perfect just king who will return to rule in the darkest hour of the nation.
That's a pretty clever way of interpreting a real life legendary figure as a pirate-like name.

KageZero

Not sure if it matters or whatever but someone posted on my wall a cover of a one piece chapter(124) that displays sanji with a briefcase going to "tsuru". A foreshadowing by oda or just a random coincidence? I'm going for the latter one but you can never be sure with oda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom