• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
*blinks*

Wow. I actually thought I disliked Sanji as much as I could, but now it's worse. Not because of the homophobia, because honestly, what do you expect from the tool. But now I find out that he took his already dumb justification for his fire powers and made it even lamer.

I know it's never going to happen, but I actually do wish he'd never come back.

In this instance, it's not even Sanji I have to dislike...

I'd honestly forgotten, or blocked the memory of?, all the okama shit. Ivankov is obviously important, but it's been so long since I've seen the rest of that group I forgot just how shitty they are.

In the world of One Piece, I can hardly blame Sanji for being homophobic, what with the gross predatory gay man stereotype that is Sanji's whole time-skip story. It's gross that that's an actual justification and it makes sense. Ugh. Gross.

I guess this is similar to how, despite loving One Punch Man, I always forget about Pri-Pri Prisoner. Although he's even worse, because it's just explicitly stated. Or maybe that's better? Or maybe it's just all fucked.

Japan, fix yourself, please.

Spoiler

Jack's bounty = 1 billion beri!!!

Also, seems like he had his handsfull with the kings of the island.
Pretty high bounty, still a bad idea to attack ships with several insane powered marines on it. While we don't know what happened, i think that shows that the admirals are still one heck of a challenge.

Btw. about the last chapter ... am i too late to notice that Jack's hair reminds me of Lola's?

Pretty high bounty, still a bad idea to attack ships with several insane powered marines on it. While we don't know what happened, i think that shows that the admirals are still one heck of a challenge.

Btw. about the last chapter ... am i too late to notice that Jack's hair reminds me of Lola's?
Pretty sure that Fujitora is probably stronger than Jack. Also in this chapter Jack seems to note how strong Inurasha is. I am guessing they are at least as strong as him, but taken down by sneaky tactics (i.e., the gas). All in all I am liking this, would be cool if Jack is very strong, but has already been outmatched in the story by a couple of people. Would demonstrate how many strong players there are in the world and be a bit uncoventional for One Piece...

Nibel

C4asTY7.jpg

New movie coming
EWmof.gif

Syntsui

Being an underworld broker dealing with the biggest criminals of the world and at least 2 Younkous sure helped that. Also, being dangerous/holding good information escalates your bounty more than being powerful, like Robin.

Syntsui

This is going to be Dragon Ball power levels all over again, so let's not bother with the numbers. It's cool to know how high they can get tho.

This is going to be Dragon Ball power levels all over again, so let's not bother with the numbers. It's cool to know how high they can get tho.
If after 809 chapters people still associate bounty with power exclusively than that's personal honestly. We should be able to discuss numbers i would hope

Syntsui

If after 809 chapters people still associate bounty with power exclusively than that's personal honestly. We should be able to discuss numbers i would hope

That's exactly what I said. It's pointless, but cool.

Well we all know doffy's bounty would be much...much higher if he wasn't "working" for the government at the time.

Yup, by far the most dangerous and important character so far.

People remember Ace bounty was 550 million after 3 years and this was before they knew he was roger son .
People like kid and law are around 500 million .
So now we have the right hand of a yonko that love fucking up stuff make sense to me .
Bounties not only about power but they still give us a idea how crazy someone is .

Well we all know doffy's bounty would be much...much higher if he wasn't "working" for the government at the time.
Yup i wonder where he'd be sitting at actually. Head of the underworld, ex noble. I like discussing bounties not only for a power stand point but because it gives you a grip on the kind of person you're dealing with(us as the readers i mean)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know how many times this needs to be said.
Bounties are not power levels.
They represent the level of danger the world government sees someone.
Luffy's first bounty was only 30 million, which isn't much but this was from East Blue, which is considered the weakest of the seas. Plus, Buggy, Krieg, and Arlong had lower bounties.
Chopper is a competent fighter (when not scared) and can turn into a hulking monster, but the WG still sees him as a pet and thus his bounty is still only 100.

If the spoiler is real,
then Jack is seen as immensely dangerous being worth one billion

For someone like Roger or Dragon, I imagine numbers are irrelevant at that point as the only ones that could take them out are Admiral level.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said.
Bounties are not power levels
They represent the level of danger the world government sees someone.
Luffy's first bounty was only 30 million, which isn't much but this was from East Blue, which is considered the weakest of the seas. Plus, Buggy, Krieg, and Arlong had lower bounties.
Chopper is a competent fighter (when not scared) and can turn into a hulking monster, but the WG still sees him as a pet and thus his bounty is still only 100.

If the spoiler is real,
then Jack is seen as immensely dangerous being worth one billion

For someone like Roger or Dragon, I imagine numbers are irrelevant at that point as the only ones that could take them out are Admiral level.
Nobody really said that yet tho lol. Most saw jacks and are now wondering what theother top dogs are like

IHaveIce

Banned
So
There'll totally be another fight on Zou and Luffy convinces The Duke of day to work together with the King of the Night again?
Seems like Nekomamushi is pretty strong and their hate for Wano soldiers is not because Jack sought for them.. they dislike them already on their own.. but why?

Veelk

Banned
I said before that I can't help but think that bounties do the opposite of what the WG wants them to do. You have a small section of bounty hunters that take them as intended that, since the very beginning of the series, have been abject failures. The only bounty hunter that accomplished anything was zoro, off screen, and against worthless east blue scrubs.

The vast majority that sees a bounty just takes it as a measurement of how awesome a pirate is, either as their friends or just as people who just respect them. We've yet to even see anyone who sees a bounty assume that the pirate in question is a bad guy.

Lunar15

It's almost as if the World Government is meant to be portrayed as incompetent in some areas with a lack of understanding of how the world works, instead imposing archaic laws and practices that don't necessarily make the world a better place.

But that would be ridiculous.

On Bounty Hunters though: I assume Baroque works was fairly effective at getting lower level bounties. There's also the matter of bounties in the other seas. The system probably works better there than it does in the wild west of the Grand Line. There's also the fact that Arlong had a big bounty for the sea he was in, but he essentially had special protection from a corrupt Navy official. It stands to reason that we're seeing the biggest bounties survive because they're just that: really fucking strong.

It's almost as if the World Government is meant to be portrayed as incompetent in some areas with a lack of understanding of how the world works, instead imposing archaic laws and practices that don't necessarily make the world a better place.

Boom

Veelk

Banned

Oh, I know, it's just that I wonder in what area IS the WG competent in. I'm trying to think of a single plot event where they didn't royally fudge things up. Even in the Marineford war, their method was the death of whitebeard and ace, but their goal was to end the era of piracy by a publicized death of two great legends, an Emperor and the lineage of Roger. Guess what, just because Whitebeard spoke some words, they induced a whole new surge of piracy.

Oh, I know, it's just that I wonder in what area IS the WG competent in. I'm trying to think of a single plot event where they didn't royally fudge things up. Even in the Marineford war, their method was the death of whitebeard and ace, but their goal was to end the era of piracy by a publicized death of two great legends, an Emperor and the lineage of Roger. Guess what, just because Whitebeard spoke some words, they induced a whole new surge of piracy.
I think thats the point tho lol. They keep trying to end it and instead they make it worst same thing they did with gold roger

bjork

To be fair, they had to have things in hand at some point. Only one other dude had escape Impel Down before Luffy showed up, and they had the support of the people who celebrated when Whitebeard was beaten. So if nothing else, they're successful in promoting a specific image to the general public.

Lunar15

I mean, you clearly get some people who are just as frustrated as you are, namely Smoker and Kuzan.

But that's Oda's whole point: If luffy's ideals are our ideals through the adventure, the Marines' are the antithesis to the idea of "Inherited Will". They think they can snuff out the will of pirates by putting up bounties, setting traps, and killing legends, without understanding the "moral" of the story, which is that someone with a strong enough will passes on that drive regardless of death. Can't really make that point unless someone else is opposing it. Both Roger and Whitebeard "got it", they're poster children for the ideals luffy expouses. They realized that they could turn the Marine's tactics against them, both using One Piece as the grand ideal that would incite more people to go against the government. It even goes all the way back to their handling of the Void Century: They're trying to completely suppress the knowledge and will of an entire era, but will ultimately lose when everything's exposed.

This isn't exactly an unrealistic portrayal, either. Totalitarian governments have been undermined through a lack of understanding about how people pass information and ignite around ideals.

Veelk

Banned
That's not the larger point I'm making. The larger point I'm making is: When has the WG ever actually succeeded?

The first instance in which we meet them is Morgan Axe-hand. The WG is failing to self discipline itself. Somehow, either none of the lower ranking officers ever reported his corrupt behavior, or the WG simply couldn't address this. I'm assuming that most of the WG would actually be against Morgan's policies with a few exceptions, but then it's either corrupt or for some other reason, word didn't get to the marines who could make a difference. Either way, the WG is failing at it's purpose.

The next major instance we hear is Ohara. Somehow, they managed to kill every single person on the island except the one they were supposed to. Which later lead to the Ennies Lobby incident, where they laughably failed in every way. In Alabasta, the Marines were all completely inept at stopping crocodile. At Shambody Archipelogo, an admiral was summoned to deal with the guy who punched a world noble, and guess what, the inside defector got to them first and sent them off to get more powerful. Then Impel down is self explanatory and then the marine ford war. And, currently, the WG failed to contain the doflamingo incident.

I'm struggling to think of a single instance where the WG has a goal, and actually succeeds in achieving that goal. The only thing I can remember is, as bjork says, they can market a general public image, and that's it. And even then I feel that's kinda weak, just because I don't think there's too many ways in which word wouldn't spread about them saving Alabasta.

Lunar15

Well, if Zenigata was good at his job, Lupin would be in jail and the show would be over.

You're seeing the Marines at a time where they're most likely not going to continue operating in the way they have. Luffy's caused sparks of chaos all throughout their systems, and it's falling apart at the seams. We're coming in medas res. You could argue that they've "suceeeded" in keeping the void century a secret for this long.

I get your larger point: Why do people trust the marines when they're really bad at their job and everything seems to go bad when they're involved? That's fair. But we've seen the Government cover up things in the past, namely with Alabasta, and we can also assume that, since there's not tons of chaos in the other seas, they're fairly effective at keeping things under control there.

But to share in your pointed comments that the marines are incompetent: why the fuck didn't they just put Marineford on Reverse Mountain? This has always made me chuckle.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ugh.. the world government did not come to Ohara to kill Nico Robin alone... but all other scientists and archeologists.. which they did. Get you facts right.

That's not the larger point I'm making. The larger point I'm making is: When has the WG ever actually succeeded?

The first instance in which we meet them is Morgan Axe-hand. The WG is failing to self discipline itself. Somehow, either none of the lower ranking officers ever reported his corrupt behavior, or the WG simply couldn't address this. I'm assuming that most of the WG would actually be against Morgan's policies with a few exceptions, but then it's either corrupt or for some other reason, word didn't get to the marines who could make a difference. Either way, the WG is failing at it's purpose.

The next major instance we hear is Ohara. Somehow, they managed to kill every single person on the island except the one they were supposed to. Which later lead to the Ennies Lobby incident, where they laughably failed in every way. In Alabasta, the Marines were all completely inept at stopping crocodile. At Shambody Archipelogo, an admiral was summoned to deal with the guy who punched a world noble, and guess what, the inside defector got to them first and sent them off to get more powerful. Then Impel down is self explanatory and then the marine ford war. And, currently, the WG failed to contain the doflamingo incident.

I'm struggling to think of a single instance where the WG has a goal, and actually succeeds in achieving that goal. The only thing I can remember is, as bjork says, they can market a general public image, and that's it. And even then I feel that's kinda weak, just because I don't think there's too many ways in which word wouldn't spread about them saving Alabasta.

Well actually on the ohara thing their goal was to kill all the scholars not just robin but indeed she did get away.

And for marineford they very much did succeed in their goal. Ace is dead. White beard dying was a bonus

Chariot

Ugh.. the world government did not come to Ohara to kill Nico Robin alone... but all other scientists and archeologists.. which they did. Get you facts right.
Yeah, it was an important plot point that they didn't even know that Nico Robin knew anything. She just blurted it out when everyone tried to downplay her in front of the marines and only then was a target. She only grew into the importance because she was the only survivor, later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom