• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Nah. Usopp still consistently gets trashed all the while looking awesome at moments. Franky has gotten the biggest push ever between punk hazard and dressrosa. Sanji lost twice and still had his moments. Nami and robin haven't fought yet neither has brook and chopper. Luffy got challenged with doflamingo. With zoro its just been toy toy. One shot. Toy. I what an epic das bones moment, a zoro vs kaku or ryuma. Did pica even touch the guy?

I just mean they're boring. Generally speaking, that is.

Oxn

Wait why does jimbei or sanji need help.

If Sanji was fighting #4 on Kaidou's crew then he wont need help, but since he is fighting #2 then yes he will.

For example if Zoro fought Crocodile then he'll need help, but since he fought Das Bones, then he don't need help.

See?

If Sanji was fighting #4 on Kaidou's crew then he wont need help, but since he is fighting #2 then yes he will.

For example if Zoro fought Crocodile then he'll need help, but since he fought Das Bones, then he don't need help.

See?
No the guys said we dont kno who #2 is tho implying jack wasn't.

RomanceDawn

I would love if Zoro and Sanji took on Jack as a tag team. Dogupine and Cat Viper remind me of them already and with a lost arm and lost leg, Zoro and Sanji could provide a spiritual arm and leg that they lack.

Like Doflamingo I feel like the first Emperor will be a group effort with Luffy, Law and who ever else. I could see the right hand man/woman of the first Emperor being too much for a 1 on 1 just yet. A Zoro/Sanji Groggy Ring style drag out would be wonderful!

Squishy3

Your Lie in April's anime adaptation is also decent and is on Crunchyroll, if you'd like to go that route. No idea if the manga continues past where the anime ends though.

Oh, another good music manga to read is Beck Mongolian Chop Squad. This one is ace.

TheFlow

Banned
Your Lie in April's anime adaptation is also decent and is on Crunchyroll, if you'd like to go that route. No idea if the manga continues past where the anime ends though.

Oh, another good music manga to read is Beck Mongolian Chop Squad. This one is ace.
So fucking good! I read the manga, but I will watch the anime soon just to hear the music.

This is why im having a problem liking the guy after the skip. Pre timeskip zoro was consistently bad ass! BuT he had flaws,he had awesome fights! He's boring now
Agreed. What happened to funny Zoro. Now all he does is glare and get mad.
Zoro's gone ham, but probably not to his full extent. Big thing with Pica was that he played cat and mouse and Zoro played along with it until he had no other choice but to cut everything.

Since Dressrosa is essentially the "Alabasta" of the New World it's basically a repeat of him fighting Daz Bones except he has to cut all of an even bigger piece of stone.

But yeah, like the only person to even really put up a significant fight was Doffy so far. Whoever they come into conflict with next will probably be the first time everybody is really tested, nobody's been able to put up with them in an outright brawl except for Doffy in his fight against Luffy. Hell, Zoro would probably have even been able to defeat roided up Hody. Look how easily he dispatched him pre-roids.
Pica was chump change, though I guess he did have the bandana on for the massive slash at the end.

Really hoping for some CP9 style fights for everyone in the next arc, or team-ups would be good too for 2v2. It's been too damn long since the timeskip so Oda's gotta deliver soon, Doflamingo's crew was shite.

Also Beck is fucking awesome!

Squishy3

Agreed. What happened to funny Zoro. Now all he does is glare and get mad.

Pica was chump change, though I guess he did have the bandana on for the massive slash at the end.

Really hoping for some CP9 style fights for everyone in the next arc, or team-ups would be good too for 2v2. It's been too damn long since the timeskip so Oda's gotta deliver soon, Doflamingo's crew was shite.

Also Beck is fucking awesome!
The other thing is if Oda is going to continue introducing more and more characters that get focus diverted to them in arcs, they need to be paired up with each other so we don't get situations like in Dressrosa where the focus is switching between 10+ different characters and some of those characters are literally within walking distance of the others. I talked about this with my only friend IRL that likes One Piece and Dressrosa suffered from this to an extreme degree.

The other thing is if Oda is going to continue introducing more and more characters that get focus diverted to them in arcs, they need to be paired up with each other so we don't get situations like in Dressrosa where the focus is switching between 10+ different characters and some of those characters are literally within walking distance of the others. I talked about this with my only friend IRL that likes One Piece and Dressrosa suffered from this to an extreme degree.
Great point, I found dedicating a chapter to each straw hat alliance fight to be really tiresome. I can only imagine the final battle to be a lot more detailed with even more characters.

TheFlow

Banned
Dressrosa was awesome for the:

Luffy 4th gear smack down

Sabo: owning that vice admiral and then taking on Fuji

Franky vs Senior pink

Zoro rekting

Usopp becoming God

RomanceDawn

Reading back through Dressrosa makes the non-Straw Hat battles much more meaningful. Knowing that Hadruden will lead a Straw Hat fleet gives his fight with Mach Vice that much more weight. Hehe he. The same goes for the rest of the 7 groups who vowed to aid Luffy.

I know how tough it was to lose out on half the crew when they had already had a full 2 year break just a few years ago but I think Dressrosa was a necessary evil at the time which in hindsight isn't evil at all because it led to something major.

Squishy3

Reading back through Dressrosa makes the non-Straw Hat battles much more meaningful. Knowing that Hadruden will lead a Straw Hat fleet gives his fight with Mach Vice that much more weight. Hehe he. The same goes for the rest of the 7 groups who vowed to aid Luffy.

I know how tough it was to lose out on half the crew when they had already had a full 2 year break just a few years ago but I think Dressrosa was a necessary evil at the time which in hindsight isn't evil at all because it led to something major.
I think it's more the extremely plodding nature of it weekly with switching viewpoints so many times a chapter, and this is with 4 of the crew members missing, not to mention Caesar, Kine'mon and Momonosuke not being present, and with Law's crew not being there as well.

If the cast keeps ballooning, it'll keep feeling like it's dragging each week with the way Oda likes to change viewpoints to what each character is doing unless he starts switching character perspectives to groups dedicated to accomplishing the same objective.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it's more the extremely plodding nature of it weekly with switching viewpoints so many times a chapter, and this is with 4 of the crew members missing, not to mention Caesar, Kine'mon and Momonosuke not being present, and with Law's crew not being there as well.

If the cast keeps ballooning, it'll keep feeling like it's dragging each week with the way Oda likes to change viewpoints to what each character is doing unless he starts switching character perspectives to groups dedicated to accomplishing the same objective.

The issue is basically the weekly format at this point. Volume by volume the pacing is fine and it works, but the individual chapters don't have enough real estate to make the pacing work the same way it does in the volumes.

Squishy3

The issue is basically the weekly format at this point. Volume by volume the pacing is fine and it works, but the individual chapters don't have enough real estate to make the pacing work the same way it does in the volumes.
It'd be really awesome if One Piece got to transition to a monthly release, but it'll probably never happen. Jojo's has never been better since it transitioned from weekly to monthly during Steel Ball Run.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It'd be really awesome if One Piece got to transition to a monthly release, but it'll probably never happen. Jojo's has never been better since it transitioned from weekly to monthly during Steel Ball Run.

That'd work if we got 3 chapters worth of pages a month, I think it'd be like 60.

mrmickfran

CXNJWqXWcAAaRSL.jpg

Everyone running around saying Sanji is the son of this dude (the old World Goverment guys)

I can see it
This did have me realize that Sanji's beard is black, yet his hair is blonde. Weird.

This did have me realize that Sanji's beard is black, yet his hair is blonde. Weird.
Sanjis not naturally blonde confirmed!!
His mom is a brunette but to hide his lineage the dyed his hair and ordered that only one eyebrow can be shown at a time!! If he ever shows two eyebrows people will kno where hes from.

Squishy has a point though. I think even the volumes will get tedious if the character switching grows exponentially, which it seems like.

Wondering if Oda is holding off on introducing Law's crew for this reason.

Squishy3

Squishy has a point though. I think even the volumes will get tedious if the character switching grows exponentially, which it seems like.

Yeah, like, if he wants to keep switching perspectives like he does, he needs to pair people up against the same opponent. (and with how ridiculously strong Jack is for example, this is probably going to need to happen for them to stand a chance)

Hell, Dressrosa was at it's best when Law and Luffy were tag-teaming Doffy. Like imagine what a Law that hasn't been shot like 9 times and lost an arm can do with other people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

For now the volume format works, when it stops working then there's gonna be an issue but it doesn't really look like that's something that is going to happen.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
More people in Japan read One Piece in volumes than buy Shonen Jump. Not really worth to subscribe to a weekly 500+ page newspaper just for one series.

As I've mentioned before, One Piece arcs work better in bulk rather than week-by-week. Everyone says Alabasta is so great because they read it all at once. If they had to wait week after week after week after week then people would be harder on it. Same with Water 7/Enies Lobby. Hell, I remember when Enies Lobby was ending and people were sick of Luffy vs Lucci and felt it was going too long.

In a couple years, people are going to sing the praises of Dressrosa. Despite what some users on here claim...
Rebecca didn't ruin the whole arc people

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
More people in Japan read One Piece in volumes than buy Shonen Jump. Not really worth to subscribe to a weekly 500+ page newspaper just for one series.

As I've mentioned before, One Piece arcs work better in bulk rather than week-by-week. Everyone says Alabasta is so great because they read it all at once. If they had to wait week after week after week after week then people would be harder on it. Same with Water 7/Enies Lobby. Hell, I remember when Enies Lobby was ending and people were sick of Luffy vs Lucci and felt it was going too long.

In a couple years, people are going to sing the praises of Dressrosa. Despite what some users on here claim...
Rebecca didn't ruin the whole arc people

Exactly. The series has always been written to the volume format as that's where it's main audience gets it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sanji can use his own version of Geppou. That's awesome and nobody else can do that.

The only reason it seems like he sucks compared to his old self is because he keeps getting matched against top tier villains instead of the usual No. 2 or No. 3. Vergo and Doflamingo were main protagonist material. He gets props for trying.

Sanji can use his own version of Geppou. That's awesome and nobody else can do that.

The only reason it seems like he sucks compared to his old self is because he keeps getting matched against top tier villains instead of the usual No. 2 or No. 3. Vergo and Doflamingo were main protagonist material. He gets props for trying.
Sanji is a scrub. Zoro would've wrecked vergo and flamingo no problem. Sanji is nowhere near zoro and luffy level never was!

-_-

Oxn

And Zoro has Admiral's running away from him

Exactly. The series has always been written to the volume format as that's where it's main audience gets it.
Not saying that aren't but c'mon, we aren't getting entire arcs where every single straw hat ally gets a dedicated chapter in a large battle or else I'll be 86 years old when this series finally ends.

Dugna

For how much waiting other fandoms have for their mangas I sometimes think One Piece will still outrun them even without huge breaks because of how long it will probably be. So I'm like in my 20s now but expect One Piece to be over when I'm in my 30s or 40s.

I mean people grew up with this series and could probably damn near die with it still going or finally finishing, which is insane to think about.

Squishy3

It'll still take less time to finish than Berserk.

Think of how many times they got on and off the boat in One Piece since they got on the boat in Berserk! And now it's time for Miura to take a 6 month hiatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom