• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doflamingo might get killed off for the sheer fact that keeping someone like that alive casts a pretty large shadow over the series. I don't see him having the turnaround potential that the other bosses have had.

Doflamingo has been teased and lingering in the background since Jaya. It would be kind of a waste to have such a mysterious character get killed off after their big focal arc.

Doflamingo is still going to have a role to play after his defeat, especially since he knows about the tenryuubito national treasure and his deep roots in the underworld.

demidar

Elaborating on this a bit, Oda has explicitly said why he never has anyone die.

Source: SBS Volume 4

Also, keep in mind that Oda has ever only killed off two characters (Ace and Whitebeard respectively), and when it was absolutely necessary for the story to progress. I don't think I need to bring up Pell surviving the bomb in Alabasta, CP9 surviving the Buster Call on Enies Lobby, etc.

It's a very cool concept.

Grexeno

But didn't Doflamingo (and the Pacifistas) execute Moria after the war? It would be poetic justice if he was taken out the same way.
Moria escaped.

I think it would be a good way to introduce the first Emperor Luffy has to fight in the series by having him kill of the previous, and very powerful, arc villain.

Yeah, Doflamingo said he just disappeared before he could kill him. It is assumed Absalom used his ability to make him invisible

I thought I remember Mihawk mentioning that Moria just suddenly vanished after the battle, implying that Absalom got him away.

The above was an interesting read. I never question why Luffy didn't kill opponents but it was odd that so little character death occurred leading up to Ace. I always thought it was just to make the first major death have more impact.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Elaborating on this a bit, Oda has explicitly said why he never has anyone die.

Source: SBS Volume 4

Also, keep in mind that Oda has ever only killed off two characters (Ace and Whitebeard respectively), and when it was absolutely necessary for the story to progress. I don't think I need to bring up Pell surviving the bomb in Alabasta, CP9 surviving the Buster Call on Enies Lobby, etc.

I remembering hearing somewhere that (don't quote me on this), that he he currently believes keeping pell alive was a mistake.

Also Monet is dead as well as Vergo etc, the barely anyone dies rule seems to have been dropped post time skip.

I expect more characters to die also.

robox

speaking of monet, do we have an explanation of where she was during the flashback?
and caesar seems like a hired man, rather than a proper member of the family

Thats what I mean about the gun shot from a bad guy.
How many guys have been annihilated only to come back later haha though this is a flash back so the odds are heavily stacked haha

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pell took a nuke to the face. Monet can survive a knife to the heart.

That's not remotely the same. The amount of characters that have died from an explosion is pretty much none existent before and after pell. (Hiruluk is the only notable character and even that was due to the poison) The amount of characters that have died from gunshots and appropriately severe stab wounds are damn high. That's why I mentioned Ace and Whitebeard.

Kater

Banned
You peeps are all out for vengeance. I just want to see Doflamingo break down and see him turn for the better. I think it could be possible after what we've seen in the panel where he stands before Corazon, indecisive for a moment before he decides to shoot him. I feel like he's just a few steps away of realizing that what he did was wrong.

You peeps are all out for vengeance. I just want to see Doflamingo break down and see him turn for the better. I think it could be possible after what we've seen in the panel where he stands before Corazon, indecisive for a moment before he decides to shoot him. I feel like he's just a few steps away of realizing that what he did was wrong.

But he pulled the trigger and killed him... and his father.

I don't know, anything can happen with DD, though he will surely not die.

Also, does anyone remember which manga chapter covers the last fight against Magellan? i wanted to revisit that part...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Back to the present.
Grain of salt at the moment since "Pandas" but it sounds like Doflamingo lost his pace when Law revealed he's a D.
Another new name, Hyaku.

And yeah, it felt like a recap of what's been going on. It's been a while so it kind of makes sense.

The bedtime story turning true. When the Celestial Dragons kids misbehave, the clan of D will come and punish.

I'm still surprised Zoro has still yet to defeat Peeka. I understand Franky and Senor but him, he should've won by then.

Zeppu

The bedtime story turning true. When the Celestial Dragons kids misbehave, the clan of D will come and punish.

I'm still surprised Zoro has still yet to defeat Peeka. I understand Franky and Senor but him, he should've won by then.

I expect it to be the case it's just that it's much better if the fights all climax at the same time.

Jigolo

Damn, Dressrosa arc ending in sight. Let's hope they finish strong and it could be a candidate for one of the best arcs. The meat of the arc was very good.

BatDan

Turns out "Hyaku" isn't a character, just the translator being incompetent (as per usual).

Also, it sounds like Dellinger is half-Merman. Hence the crazy strength.

One Piece

Back to the present, ending in sight, mixed with a brief recap of everything going on, as expected. Also cool that the biggest revelation of the flashback was put into play almost immediately

daveo42

Banned
Solid recap and set up chapter for the final battles of the arc. Looking forward to seeing a more solid translation to see if there's any notable differences.

Back to the present.
Grain of salt at the moment since "Pandas" but it sounds like Doflamingo lost his pace when Law revealed he's a D.
Another new name, Hyaku.

And yeah, it felt like a recap of what's been going on. It's been a while so it kind of makes sense.

His reaction to Law saying he's a D is pretty telling proof he's shaken. The way things are paired off, there might actually be a chance where Luffy isn't the one to take down the big bad in an arc. Law definitely has dibs in this case and I'd be fine if it plays out that way.

Solid recap and set up chapter for the final battles of the arc. Looking forward to seeing a more solid translation to see if there's any notable differences.

His reaction to Law saying he's a D is pretty telling proof he's shaken. The way things are paired off, there might actually be a chance where Luffy isn't the one to take down the big bad in an arc. Law definitely has dibs in this case and I'd be fine if it plays out that way.

Would certainly be going against the grain. Law is pretty popular and has a more personal investment against doflamingo. I know Luffy has always been this embodiment of righteous anger against the big bad but in this case Law is strong enough to do it himself.

Zeppu

i think most of the battle will be Law vs Mingo and Luffy will be the one to finish it.

Would be amazing if Law finished off Mingo on his own then Big Mom or whatever showed up and Luffy would've recovered from the nap he's currently probably taking.

Pretty crazy to think that once Doflamingo is beaten that effectively ends the Straw hat's involvement with the Shichibukai. When they were first introduced you would think it would be some final boss rush like so many manga do but One Piece has done a great job at making it feel like a position that relies more on propaganda than strength

BatDan

Pretty crazy to think that once Doflamingo is beaten that effectively ends the Straw hat's involvement with the Shichibukai. When they were first introduced you would think it would be some final boss rush like so many manga do but One Piece has done a great job at making it feel like a position that relies more on propaganda than strength

There's still the seventh Warlord. The one that remains a mystery.
Plus, Zoro & Mihawk need to have their battle.

But yeah, the Warlords really are about name more than power. Buggy shows that.

There's still the seventh Warlord. The one that remains a mystery.
Plus, Zoro & Mihawk need to have their battle.

But yeah, the Warlords really are about name more than power. Buggy shows that.

Is there a seventh Warlord? I thought the numbers can fluctuate and Blackbeard's ascension to Yonko left a vacancy

BatDan

The current Warlords are:
Doflamingo
Kuma
Mihawk
Hancock
Buggy
Law (likely revoked now)
The unknown seventh.

Issho plans to abolish the program though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Luffy will probably take care of Trebol at this point.
I'm starting to think that too. They put a lot of effort into hyping up Trebol's powers and his role in Doflamingo's life.

Also Robin bailed on her fight which has fans upset lol. I think at this point everyone needs to accept that Robin stays true to her assassin's background and avoids one-on-one fights, preferring instead to be Luffy's support unit.

Grexeno

I'm starting to think that too. They put a lot of effort into hyping up Trebol's powers and his role in Doflamingo's life.

Also Robin bailed on her fight which has fans upset lol. I think at this point everyone needs to accept that Robin stays true to her assassin's background and avoids one-on-one fights, preferring instead to be Luffy's support unit.
There's also the fact that Robin can only really either curbstomp an enemy or get curbstomped herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom