• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
the strawhats might end up leaving the island with the samurai to calm things down. who knows what their next destination would even be. don't think wano is where they would go. perhaps the samurai wanted to stay at zou to hide out from somebody else just like law was intending. i wanna see how the samurai react when they find out jack was at the island.

pxtSfOs.jpg

Hopefully Jinbei is at the tea party.
Ugh! God that would make sense. Im like in such a minority bubble when it comes to jinbe i just don't want him on the crew lol. He's so darn..."normal" aside from being a fishman nothing about him excites me.

Just did a rewatch of Fi this last week and you can just tell oda was trying to give him some type of personality with the small lil gags that he had but man let him be a commander or something.

RomanceDawn

Ugh! God that would make sense. Im like in such a minority bubble when it comes to jinbe i just don't want him on the crew lol. He's so darn..."normal" aside from being a fishman nothing about him excites me.

Just did a rewatch of Fi this last week and you can just tell oda was trying to give him some type of personality with the small lil gags that he had but man let him be a commander or something.

You aren't in any minority bubble. Only recently have people come around to the idea of Jinbe and to be honest people accept him because it seems like an inevitability. People hated him for a very long time and still do.

I've been saying Jinbe was going to join the crew since the war, arguing daily about personality, job title, his place among the crew power wise, bounty, etc. I know a guy who predicted very accurately Jinbe would join the crew since before he was revealed on screen. The chapter Sengoku mentioned him going wild he had this amazing write up that for the most part held true even to this day.

But since he's my favorite subject and you brought it up I'll give my 2 cents for the millionth time. We've got roughly 3 straight shooters in the crew amongst a hoard of odd balls. Even then Zoro, Robin and Nami have their quirks. It isn't so wrong that Jinbe would join and be one of the more laid back members. During the war we only got to see him when the stakes were really high and there was little room to be goofing off but we still got to see an amazing side of him in the form a mentor like figure when he snapped Luffy out of his funk. During Fishman Island we saw him a little more relaxed with the eye popping and plan naming. He is always tied by responsibility he puts on himself and each one of those responsibilities he seemed to fail at one way or another.

The day that he is freed from the shackles of Big Mom and his crew no longer has to live the pirate life under her or at all you can bet that he is going loosen up. Expect to see a bit of a Robin like transformation but only at a much faster pace. Everything Jinbe does is for someone else, we'll see a further into his past with that scar on his eye explained and we'll discover exactly what it is he wants. When he's with the Straw Hats he will be able to focus on that and he'll blossom as a character just you watch.

We've gotten hints about who he his and how future interactions with the crew would work, when he joins it will blend in perfectly. When it comes to bounty, a fairly serious personality, back story, etc, he has a ton of elements in common with Robin and I remember first reactions to Robin going weren't very nice. Now we all love her. Everyone will love Jinbe in due time.

But boy when Jinbe was revealed as fat with a big nose there was a lot of complaining. People wanted a new Arlong or maybe someone who looks like Hack. After the decade long name drop people were disappointed and him doing everything even at the cost his life didn't help things either.

Hmm didn't kno people didn't like jimbe before im not alone than. Idk maybe I'll open up to him but right now he's on fleet commander type level with me lol.

GG-Duo

We've gotten hints about who he his and how future interactions with the crew would work, when he joins it will blend in perfectly. When it comes to bounty, a fairly serious personality, back story, etc, he has a ton of elements in common with Robin and I remember first reactions to Robin going weren't very nice. Now we all love her. Everyone will love Jinbe in due time.

But boy when Jinbe was revealed as fat with a big nose there was a lot of complaining. People wanted a new Arlong or maybe someone who looks like Hack. After the decade long name drop people were disappointed and him doing everything even at the cost his life didn't help things either.

I keep making the argument that Oda partially makes crew choices based on their size and shape - In other words, he wants to make an ensemble that looks good and distinguishable when they stand together. That was my argument for Franky over Kaku or Paulie. It was obvious that the Straw Hats' next design needed a big guy. (Brooke continued this line of argument)

So for Jinbe - well, it's good that he's fat.

To be honest, I was initially against his joining for the same reason as you mentioned. He's too bland and serious. But perhaps this is the reason why Oda didn't let him join right away? It feels like a wise move. I don't know how Jinbe would've fitted into Punk Hazard or Dressrosa.

RomanceDawn

I argued he could but I did not want him to join. I wanted someone who looked... cooler. Though now I look at him and realize how much went into his design. His body type, race and color are completely unique to him. The scar on his face which was conveniently missing from the entire Fishman Island flash back suggest it came about during something very significant in his life, showing there is plenty of care in his design. Even his style of dress suggests he is very different from the average Fishman and Mermen that he sailed and fought with before, I bet we learn about that as well.

And the scenes where he is manipulating water like it's a solid bed sheet or something is just so cool! Makes him look amazing to me!

And the moment Luffy bit him and then Jinbe gave that awesome speech, thats when I fell in love! The Straw Hat that Luffy desperately needed during the separation was there all along.

And then his past with Otohime and Tiger pulls at my heart strings. Though we did not get to see how his feelings not the subject of racism got to gradually evolve we still know that he is conflicted between the ideals of his mentors and that blood transfusion scene really won me over. After 4 years of Jinbe being out of the story I can't imagine how Oda is going to get Jinbe in the crew toping that but I imagine tears a'plenty.

I love Jinbe. Like Robin, I can't wait to see him really cut loose and just live instead of worrying about every little thing.

I keep making the argument that Oda partially makes crew choices based on their size and shape - In other words, he wants to make an ensemble that looks good and distinguishable when they stand together. That was my argument for Franky over Kaku or Paulie. It was obvious that the Straw Hats' next design needed a big guy. (Brooke continued this line of argument)

So for Jinbe - well, it's good that he's fat.

To be honest, I was initially against his joining for the same reason as you mentioned. He's too bland and serious. But perhaps this is the reason why Oda didn't let him join right away? It feels like a wise move. I don't know how Jinbe would've fitted into Punk Hazard or Dressrosa.

Jinbe's personality would have and will naturally just become more apparent as time goes on but I think the biggest reason he was kept out of Dressrosa and Punk Hazard was because of Doflamingo. 2 War Lords vs 1 would not go over well in the readers eyes I'm sure. Of course Oda could easily write the story in a way where Jinbe would not have been carrying the Straw Heart alliance against Doffy but then there is the risk of making Jinbe appear as if he had no business being a War Lord himself. So naturally now that the crew has established themselves fairly well into the New World on their own and the biggest and baddest of the OLD War Lords is out of the way, naturally Jinbe's ticket back is tangled into Sanji's story.

I didn't want 4 years without Jinbe but we lost 2 years of the crew with roughly a year and half of Jinbe the substitute plus FI so it's not like he will feel as late game as Brook and Franky did way back when. It's for the best the story went down the way it did.

I think that all the different Straw Hats have different virtuous character traits since it's in the tradition of things like Journey to the West which taught traditional morality to children. Jinbe is very clearly a strong moral character representing traits like dignity and seriousness. If One Piece is moving to a phase where the Straw Hats have to build alliances and be diplomatic then a character that is basically world famous for being totally honest and dependable is valuable.

ffdgh

So...we need jimbei because we need someone boring and honest? Seems legit lol. Throw in some fishman karate lessons.

Magwik

Banned
I don't think the rest of the crew is going anywhere. It would be weird to bring Laws crew along after 2 arcs and then do nothing with them. Something will keep the rest of the Strawhats and Law's crew busy.

Genryu

Banned
So I've been watching through One Piece with my friend, and we're up to Marineford right now. It's nice to go back through and see the pieces being set up before their reveals really early in the series.

I forgot when we were watching through Impel Down how awesome Mr. 2 was, then I was quickly reminded why he's the best.

KageZero

So i randomly was reading some op chapters before and i noticed that Dragon stoped at the same dojo where zoro was training before he rescued sabo (chapter 589). I didn't notice this before such a miss pff. So zoro master was also somehow connected with the revolutionaries, it's nice to randomly stumble onto such info

Majukun

So i randomly was reading some op chapters before and i noticed that Dragon stoped at the same dojo where zoro was training before he rescued sabo (chapter 589). I didn't notice this before such a miss pff. So zoro master was also somehow connected with the revolutionaries, it's nice to randomly stumble onto such info

or maybe they just stopped there and it was a nice easter egg

not everyone must be connected

Oxn

Yea it was just a rest stop dude.

One Piece fans be like

CZh5rq1VIAEEm0J.jpg
You can't not talk about One Piece evah
Maybe but after so much stuff and op in general i wont brush aside anything
It's possible, but I doubt it. Most of the other backstory characters won't be involved in the main story until the final final chapters when our heroes eventually go back to their homes. People like Kaya, Genzo, Nojiko, Kureha, Tom, and Woop Slap are all the same as Zoro's master.
If there actually does turn out to be a connection then I guess he could be one of the revolutionary army leaders? Not sure how I feel about that.

Many guessed that Sanji had some important parent but took the too obvious bait about what that would be exactly. If the revolutionaries visited Zoro's home island it doesn't follow straight away that he is related to them.

Nami has an interesting origin. She was too young to remember life before she was adopted. Her sister probably knew who she was and maybe Bell-Mere. She could even be royalty or related to major pirate. All we know is that a young girl and a marine were prepared to protect her with their lives and they hid her away in the woods somewhere without registering her. We know that marines cover up a lot of the real stories so the story of them being survivors of a battle between pirates and marines could even be false.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
For all we know, Nami's parents could still be alive.

Dimmle

Yeah. I'd love to know more about Nami or Franky but at this point it would be narratively redundant and thematically meaningless.

Nami was a central character of the major one piece plot from the early drafts. It's not like expecting there to be more to the back story of Diamond Jozu than we know.
Well yeah but think about it. Both Robin and now Sanji to some extent have had these mysterious pasts that have taken over the storyline. Brook is likely also going to get some more coverage in the near future.
I just don't see yet another main plot point revolving around the unexplored backstory of a Strawhat to happen again after we finish with Sanji.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The difference between Nami/Franky and Robin/Sanji is that Robin and Sanji know about their pasts, and Nami and Franky don't. If we met their parents, we'd be learning about them at the same time as the characters.

Yes, if it was a flashback story it would be a flashback for another major character establishing themselves and their relevance and relationships. Say, for example, we finally meet up with Shanks. And to explain what drives Shanks to do what he does we learn about the years between Roger and him returning to the new world going into a lot of things that happened in east blue.

The difference between Nami/Franky and Robin/Sanji is that Robin and Sanji know about their pasts, and Nami and Franky don't. If we met their parents, we'd be learning about them at the same time as the characters.
My point is that it isn't really necessary to do something huge with Nami or Franky's pasts in a way comparable to how Enies Lobby and Whole Cake Island did/will revolve around the pasts of Robin and Sanji. As it stands the series could end without us ever learning about Nami's parents and it wouldn't be a huge issue unless Oda decides to make it one like Robin and Sanji.

Dimmle

Learning about Nami's parents in any significant context could do a disservice to the Bell-mere flashback and the common theme of OP that family transcends blood.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Learning about Nami's parents in any significant context could do a disservice to the Bell-mere flashback and the common theme of OP that family transcends blood.
Yep. At most Oda would go into the pirate group that destroyed Nami's village, rather than Nami's biological parents. But I doubt he even does that. Nami, Ussop and Chopper's backstories were pretty complete from the get go.

The ones with gaps in their backstories was always Luffy, Robin, Sanji and Brook. I doubt he ever goes into detail about anyone else.

Lunar15

This is true, but he's already doing this with Sanji, basically. Sanji's whole flashback was just as self-contained as Nami's or even Franky's without needing to go into his family. Oda doing that now is definitely an idea he came up with after having originally written his backstory.

I'd even argue that adding Sabo and that whole backstory to Luffy is redundant in the face of the very first chapter of the manga, as that sets up Luffy's movitations so perfectly, that needing Sabo to have died is ultimately meaningless as Luffy was already determined to be a pirate at that point.

This is true, but he's already doing this with Sanji, basically. Sanji's whole flashback was just as self-contained as Nami's or even Franky's without needing to go into his family. Oda doing that now is definitely an idea he came up with after having originally written his backstory.

I'd even argue that adding Sabo and that whole backstory to Luffy is redundant in the face of the very first chapter of the manga, as that sets up Luffy's movitations so perfectly, that needing Sabo to have died is ultimately meaningless as Luffy was already determined to be a pirate at that point.
I guess you could argue that the woman-loving aspect of Sanji's personality was never explained in his flashback. All we got from that flashback was that he learned not to waste food. Zeff's sacrifice didn't even register to him until Luffy told Sanji blatantly that Zeff didn't save his life just so he could throw it away against Pearl or Gin (can't remember which one) just like Shanks saved his own life so that Luffy could live on.
Sanji's character trait regarding wasting food has barely been emphasized when you compare it to his love of women and utter reluctance to do them any harm when his life depends on it.
We still don't know why he's like this, so I'd argue that a further backstory is needed.

As for Luffy's flashback, I totally agree with you. I see it more as a flashback for Ace than Luffy, since Luffy's flashback like you said was pretty self-contained regarding his character motivations. Ace had the greatest development in that flashback.

Dimmle

Yep. At most Oda would go into the pirate group that destroyed Nami's village, rather than Nami's biological parents. But I doubt he even does that. Nami, Ussop and Chopper's backstories were pretty complete from the get go.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see the Sanji arc conclude by reinforcing the idea of family you choose over blood relatives. They could do something similar with Nami where her parents end up being huge turds or we meet someone who knew Bell-mere but... ain't nobody got time for that.

Agreed about Sabo, though. Such a jarring introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom