• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to see more of someone like Shanks before he becomes somebody to save.

That was my problem with Ace. We never really got to see him just unleash his full power. He's strong enough to survive in the New World as Whitebeards second in command, yet he only fights against the two people he's weak against. We never get too see just how good he was.

Shanks I'm assuming just has like, god-level Haki powers. And that's his gimmick.

He's the strongest pirate I can think of in the One Piece Universe. Maybe Dragon.

Some close to Shanks (off the top of my head):

Mihawk, Big Mom, Kaido, Admirals, Sengoku, Garp, Marco

We've never really seen Shanks or Dragon fight (well, except for a little, little bit of Shanks pre-timeskip), so it's really hard to say. I also don't think Sengoku is very strong. His fighting in Ace's Execution was rather embarrassing. Mihawk and Marco are probably not that strong, and same goes for Garp.

Sabo is going to be the trump card. I mean it's all but explicitly stated when Koala calls him and tells him Luffy is in trouble. It'll be a redemptive moment where he succeeds in saving his brother where he failed in saving Ace. I'm 110% sure of that.

Judging by the way she was hiding and where she actually was i don't think she was referring to the current encounter (She wouldn't have said luffy was in danger for bellamy). There has to be someone else wrecking shit.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Let's not forget that Shanks got his eye scars from Teach. Saying that of all his wounds, those hurt the most.

He's the strongest pirate I can think of in the One Piece Universe. Maybe Dragon.

Some close to Shanks (off the top of my head):

Mihawk, Big Mom, Kaido, Admirals, Sengoku, Garp, Marco
I think Teach is the strongest pirate now. Monster before his DF, then got one of the move convenient DF in the manga and then one of the most powerful. Luffy and co. training for two years, BB and co. did nothing but become one of the 4 emperors of the New World!

Not sure Shanks is stronger than him anymore...I think the 4 Emperors are equal, and maybe they battle once in a while until a new King comes out.

This is crazy.

Luffy has been unable to effectively injure Doflamingo since this battle has started.

There are three possibilities.
-Law gives Luffy a power-up.
-Luffy shows a new technique.
-The fight goes in a completely different direction and Luffy is not the one who defeats Doffy.

I was thinking the same thing. Not only has Luffy not really damaged Doflamingo yet, there's still the issue of it being a two on one.

Given that Sabo was playing around with an Admiral a little while back, there's no way Trebol stands a chance here if Sabo goes to back Luffy up.

Oh my god, what a cliffhanger. What's gonna happen?? What if Luffy loses again?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sabo is going to be the trump card. I mean it's all but explicitly stated when Koala calls him and tells him Luffy is in trouble. It'll be a redemptive moment where he succeeds in saving his brother where he failed in saving Ace. I'm 110% sure of that.

Given that Sabo was playing around with an Admiral a little while back, there's no way Trebol stands a chance here if Sabo goes to back Luffy up.

Sabo is going after MYSTERIOUS-THREAT-THAT-IS-TOTALLY-NOT-NOT-BURGESS. It's a narrative device Oda is employing to ensure that Sabo doesn't interfere in Luffy's fight. Because, if he's not tied up fighting Burgess, it would be out of character for Sabo to not assist Luffy when he's having trouble. Oda does this a lot, especially this arc. See: the Admiral constantly being in the least convenient place to do anything. Or how Sanji was kicked out of the entire arc so he couldn't mess with every fight involving a woman. Oda is pretty dedicated to telling his story while still keeping everyone in character.

Trebol is a pretty big wild card right now, but there's really only a handful of options left for his storyline:
  • Luffy one-shots him
  • Some combination of Robin and the remaining fighters in the area fight him when he tries to retake Manshelly
  • The dummy tries to interfere in Burgess and Sabo's fight and gets comedically one-shot'd
  • He survives the battle to play a role in the aftermath
  • BETRAYAL PLOT TWIST #3 (always an option; rarely utilized)

grandjedi6

Luffy is facing a Warlord so you know he's going to use some varient of Gum Gum no Storm during the climax.

The real question is: will it be Elephant Storm or Hawk Storm?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I have this picture in my head of trebol making some explosive projectile mucus and either luffy or Sabo igniting it before he releases it and while it doesn't kill him it splatters him so far and wide he can't interfere.

Harmen

I believe Luffy is the one that is going to finish Doffy. Yes, he does not seem to be able to harm him at the moment, but in the classic op arcs Luffy initially was often not very successful either. Especially Croc slayed him twice before Luffy was able to win.

I'm hoping for a new technique or something. And maybe someone that does something about Trebol. But something tells me that Luffy will get the upper hand this time. This is his first truly challenging major battle since his haki training after all.

Nightbird

I think Luffy is going to show us something entirely new in this Arc.

I mean, he did not really spent 2 years of Training just to add Flames to his Attacks didn't he? Also, if you think about the Guys he had to Face up until now, you will realize that Flamingo is the first "serious" Enemy for him. Ceaser was pretty weak if it werent for his Devil Fruit, And Hody was a very sturdy punching Bag he had to Face in the worst Environment possible (Water)

Flamingo is Luffys first Enemy since the Timeskip who is really able to do Stuff, so if he learned something crazy during the Timeskip, now is the Time to show it

I think Luffy is going to show us something entirely new in this Arc.

I mean, he did not really spent 2 years of Training just to add Flames to his Attacks didn't he? Also, if you think about the Guys he had to Face up until now, you will realize that Flamingo is the first "serious" Enemy for him. Ceaser was pretty weak if it werent for his Devil Fruit, And Hody was a very sturdy punching Bag he had to Face in the worst Environment possible (Water)

Flamingo is Luffys first Enemy since the Timeskip who is really able to do Stuff, so if he learned something crazy during the Timeskip, now is the Time to show it

Like mastering all three types of Haki and both Gears?

I think you guys are missing the point. The fact that Luffy could defeat a Pacifista with one hit and so easily destroy Hody and Caesar and even get Don Chinjao without too much hassle is supposed to be proof of how much he has developed (although I think that most of the straw hats would have been able to defeat Hody singlehandedly). Luffys speed and strength has increased incredibly much, and then of course there's his mastery of all three forms of haki and the improvements to his devil fruits and the new incredible attacks he is capable of.

And yes, Luffy will defeat Doflamingo. This will indeed be the first big challenge since the timeskip for him, but he'll do it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Just remembered, since I started re-watching the anime, that when we cut back to Sanji and Crew, they will probably be chillin' with Big Mama since they saved her daughter during Thriller Bark. They have her Vivre card and everything. So maybe the Straw Hats will get a breather after Don Flamingo is put down.

Just remembered, since I started re-watching the anime, that when we cut back to Sanji and Crew, they will probably be chillin' with Big Mama since they saved her daughter. They have her Vivre card and everything. So maybe the Straw Hats will get a breather after Don Flamingo is put down.

yeah Oda is totally going to deflate the threat of a Yonkou, making the declaration of war during the Fishman Island arc worthless

Just remembered, since I started re-watching the anime, that when we cut back to Sanji and Crew, they will probably be chillin' with Big Mama since they saved her daughter. They have her Vivre card and everything. So maybe the Straw Hats will get a breather after Don Flamingo is put down.

There's been a lot of discussion on this (as matter of fact both myself and others have brought it up in just the last few pages), but nothing is confirmed as of yet. You don't know for sure if that was her daughter. And even then we don't know the outcome.

Nightbird

Like mastering all three types of Haki and both Gears?

The first two Types of Haki are nothing special, everyone whos a bit capable in the New World can do that.

But i'll give you the Kings Haki. It was said that to use it correctly is not something easy to learn.

Mastering both Gears however is in my eyes the equivalent of Goku Mastering SSJ, so he could use it during the Android Saga without Problems. Being able to use both Gears without Drawback has been one of the things basicly everyone was expecting from the Timeskip

But i'll give you the Kings Haki. It was said that to use it correctly is not something easy to learn.

The other two haki are special even in the new world, although armament haki seems common on amazon lily. But conqueror haki is the rarest not because it's harder to learn like you would learn kung fu but that the sort of haki the characters can use is limited by their experiences and character. Observation haki seems more rare than armament as well I think.

Speaking of observation haki, seeing how skilled Doflamingo is with it and his past, surely he knew how to use it even before the timeskip? So then how come he didn't notice Absalom and Moriah when they were invisible and disappeared? Plot holes. Plot holes everywhere!

jbug617

Banned
It's time to find the "One Piece".

you see the new puzzle?
CAhhW8qUUAAZXur.jpg

Grexeno

I didn't realize that Levi and Law share a Japanese voice actor. Now there is literally no excuse for Matthew Mercer not to be Law.

grandjedi6

Speaking of observation haki, seeing how skilled Doflamingo is with it and his past, surely he knew how to use it even before the timeskip? So then how come he didn't notice Absalom and Moriah when they were invisible and disappeared? Plot holes. Plot holes everywhere!
Doflamingo didn't give a fuck. Letting a half dead Moria go was funnier to him than actually bothering to track him down.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Two-Face Oda strikes again!

Oda's weird like that. His range of male faces is pretty good.
But with female faces it's usually Nami and Robin with slight variation. Except for a majority of Amazon Lily, which seemed to be Oda saying "I can do more than two faces see!" A shame he hasn't really applied it elsewhere.
Granted, this arc did have Sugar and Giolla who look fairly different from other women, and Baby 5 is distinct enough, but there's Viola who looks like Robin with a more detailed lip, and Koala who looks like Nami but with bigger cheeks. Oh and Rebecca...

EDIT: Forgot about Wicca and Mansherry. They're dwarves so they're already distinct enough, plus Mansherry has those weird marks on her cheeks.

Dugna

But with female faces it's usually Nami and Robin with slight variation. Except for a majority of Amazon Lily, which seemed to be Oda saying "I can do more than two faces see!" A shame he hasn't really applied it elsewhere.
Granted, this arc did have Sugar and Giolla who look fairly different from other women, and Baby 5 is distinct enough, but there's Viola who looks like Robin with a more detailed lip, and Koala who looks like Nami but with bigger cheeks. Oh and Rebecca...

EDIT: Forgot about Wicca and Mansherry. They're dwarves so they're already distinct enough, plus Mansherry has those weird marks on her cheeks.

There was also Dadan, I mean Oda definitely can do different types of female faces.

Big Mom though...

Nightbird

The other two haki are special even in the new world, although armament haki seems common on amazon lily. But conqueror haki is the rarest not because it's harder to learn like you would learn kung fu but that the sort of haki the characters can use is limited by their experiences and character. Observation haki seems more rare than armament as well I think.

In terms of the first two hakis, I got the impression because to me it seems like the manga doesn't portray it as something special if someone uses Haki.

You are right about conquer Haki, I just didn't knew how to describe what I was trying to say

Spinx

Phoenician Viking came to the DB vs One Piece thread, time to bail out.
KuGsj.gif

That´s a load of shit. DB influenced Naruto, and YYH influenced Bleach, and i am so glad for that. The last thing i want for Naruto and Bleach to be as average as one piece.

Stuff like this just gets under my skin. heh

Phoenician Viking came to the DB vs One Piece thread, time to bail out.
KuGsj.gif

Stuff like this just gets under my skin. heh

Simply delusional. The time when OP dives into that kind of contrived plot twists and low class writing is the moment i leave the fandom.

RomanceDawn

So we haven't seen Sanji and the gang in over a year. Man that's freakin' half the time we went through during the separation. When they return I imagine it's going to be a big deal.

So as we know Jinbe's cover story is happening on the same day as the battle on Dressorosa. We were shown two panels of Jinbe having strong thoughts towards the alliance when he found out in the news. That was once during the chapter titled "Morning Edition" I believe and then later we see that same moment during the cover story when he was given the news paper by the troubled people. My bet is that Jinbe's cover story is going to run all the way until the very end of the Dressrosa arc(or right before the party anyway). During the very last volume of Jinbe's story he will see the Straw Hats and Big Mom's troops doing battle. Right from there I bet the actual chapter continues the panel where the cover story left off!

Usually the cover stories show us there will be pay off but in the loooooong run, I think this one will be the first of it's kind with the events of the cover going right into the main plot. He won't be joining the crew(officially) right away with his "9th Person" chapter but because it seems that every event with Big Mom and Kaido are so intertwined I don't see him missing out on any major Emperor adventures from here on out. Oda choosing to leave Jinbe out of Dressrosa makes sense. No way he'd want 2 War Lords VS 1.

Also you guys probably talked about this months ago but did anyone notice the kid crawling all over Jinbe with the number 10 on his back in Chapter 765? I can't wait for him to join the crew!

RomanceDawn

So how do you guys think Doflamingo's defeat will affect the upcoming Reverie? Doflamingo was one of the members if I recall

There is probably more than we can imagine at the moment. Doflamingo is the root of a few waring countries, infiltrated the marines with a very high position, he had government agents, marines and even royalty erased from existence but are now back in the world again, and Fuji wants the War Lord system eradicated.

Doflamingo will be THE hot topic until the Straw Hat's crash the party for what ever reason. I have no idea how how it will affect the meeting but many pieces are already set for what ever to happen happen.

DJwest

I think Teach is the strongest pirate now. Monster before his DF, then got one of the move convenient DF in the manga and then one of the most powerful. Luffy and co. training for two years, BB and co. did nothing but become one of the 4 emperors of the New World!

Not sure Shanks is stronger than him anymore...I think the 4 Emperors are equal, and maybe they battle once in a while until a new King comes out.
I agree with this, I'm pretty sure Teach is the strongest character in the manga and closest to the pirate king title.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Having the strongest abilities doesn't mean he is the strongest, his character traits are most likely what is keeping him away from being the strongest.

He nearly got himself killed against a more or less death Whitebeard because he wasn't cautious enough.

We will see how far he has grown in the last years but I don't think he is the strongest yet, though his crew and influence might be near the top already since he claimed most of WB territory.

I agree that Teach is probably the strongest pirate and it makes me sad that it seems likely that Oda will have some war between Blackbeard and Redhair while Luffy is somewhere else.

In terms of the first two hakis, I got the impression because to me it seems like the manga doesn't portray it as something special if someone uses Haki.

You are right about conquer Haki, I just didn't knew how to describe what I was trying to say

It was introduced that characters around admiral level probably all know how to use armour haki so it shouldn't be surprising if the big guns use it like it was nothing. But if you look at the arena fighters there was not a lot of haki there. And when Usopp developed his observation haki it was a big deal.

Luffy's opening attacks on Doflamingo all seem to be techniques that would be finishers in other arcs and Doflamingo is still looking fine. Will we see a new technique?

I really hope Luffy one shots Trebol for hype :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom