• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

I first saw One Piece with the 4kids dub. Terrible. I only got into One Piece when I started reading the manga, which was when I gave it chance while waiting for the newest Naruto chapter. I think that was during Punk Hazard.

Firestorm

I started in 2004 or 2005 with K-F as well. Eventually gave up on them and had to use BalF for the Foxy Arc (awful arc with even worse subs...) then Gerusama, ADC-Elites, Vegapunk, and Yibis before Funimation started subbing. Eventually I gave up on the anime and switched to the manga (I quit at Impel Down and I think the manga had just started wrapping up Paramount War) when I had Ace spoiled for me. Did the catchup by purchasing all the volumes by Viz. Did a re-read with the coloured fan translations and hoping to purchase those from Viz one day so I can read it with a cleaner translation.

Verelios

My first exposure to One Piece was Syrup village when Ussoppu and Luffy found out Kuro's plan. Worst way to introduce the series to me because it seemed like trash in a sea of gems (Shaman King!). It was a set up chapter for a more interesting resolution that I, sadly, didn't see at the time.

Came back when the series started getting more buzz at Noland's, and decided to start at chapter one to 'experience' how people could like it. Changed my freaking world from that chapter on, every one more amazing than the last.

Therefore I have to say this: Syrup village is trash as a place to jump in.

Watched the 4kids dub. Kinda liked it but stopped at the Captain Kuro arc tho i remember seeing some clips from alabasta arc. Had a chipped ps2 so i got the JP version of One Piece Round the Land which was a fun side screen beat em up, also played that until captain Kuro lol.
Left one piece for a quite a while then came back when i saw this clip

PT luffy punching pacifista

Then i went through it all.

cntr

Banned
I watched the Hindi dub of the 4Kids One Piece, was the only person in my school who found it cool for the few weeks it ran.

Then I discovered the manga while it was around Sabaody?

MANUELF

Banned
I started watching the anime in the filler arc before Thriller Bark but I dont remember when in the manga, I guess the battle against Oars

ffdgh

Watched the 4 kids version first. Stopped caring around skypiea. Skip ahead about 5-7 years and started to read manga subs right after the timeskip when fishman island is beginning. Went back and watched dub episodes from the beginning.

Fun times.

woopWOOP

My brother introduced me to the OP anime in 2001/2002 or so. Well... he just downloaded a crapton of fansubbed anime and traded it with our cousin, but this was one of few that randomly caught my eye and got me to watch it. I think the fansubs went up to episode 90 or so (start of alabasta) and didn't continue for weeks for some reason so I was stuck, until I learned that the comic was much further ahead at that point, around the start of Davy Beck.

Basically stuck with just the manga since then. Haven't seen an anime episode for years.

My first exposure was Film Z. I had no idea what was going on. So a friend and I decided to start from the start (of the anime) and work up. I didn't start the manga til midway through Laws flashback.

bjork

Also, how many people here have been following the manga since 2003 when it came to the US (or before)? I remember my first encounter with One Piece was around August or September of 2003 when my dad brought home issue 7 of Shonen Jump because one of his co-workers didn't want it. I remember One Piece was the first story in there, they were on Chapter 12: Dog. I was instantly hooked. I guess the relatively simplistic artstyle also helped it stand out against the other series in there. I still have a copy of that issue.

Issue 1 of Shonen Jump, so whenever that was. I liked that it was a pirate story, but I had no idea it was huge. A little bit later, I found myself working at an anime shop and saw just how much stuff was out there.

Majukun

chapter out,although with a subpar translation

this chapter seems to put to sleep the whole "pudding is a traitor" theory

cntr

Banned
Chapter 834

THE KID HAS A CIGAR, BEARD, AND GANGSTER FEDORA.

So that's why Caesar was gigantifying kids, huh.

Big Mom destroying Caesar. Amazing.

is the bunny mink a traitor and been leaking info to big mom's crew this entire time?
thinking.gif

Majukun

is the bunny mink a traitor and been leaking info to big mom's crew this entire time?
thinking.gif

she just saved nami's life last chapter,no reason to do so if she's a traitor

also..the group has not been really stealthy at all,I don't understand why they are so surprised that they were keeping tabs on them...i mean all it takes was for the guy at the first tart they met not believing pekoms story and allerting one of the many sea slugs to follow them
Its obviously pedro

no sense either,he could just now take down brook and give it to tamago if he is the traitor

she just saved nami's life last chapter,no reason to do so if she's a traitor

also..the group has not been really stealthy at all,I don't understand why they are so surprised that they were keeping tabs on them...i mean all it takes was for the guy at the first tart they met not believing pekoms story and allerting one of the many sea slugs to follow them

no sense either,he could just now take down brook and give it to tamago if he is the traitor
Don't trust him in the slightest tho

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Quite a lot to this chapter.

I wonder what Jinbe is up to. Also that newspaper said "Totto Land". Oops.
Looks like Pudding really does want to meet the Straw Hats, and wasn't planning to trap them. Too bad the other members of Big Mom's crew knew everything. Damn flowers and trees.

So yeah that wasn't Lola, but another one of Big Mom's daughters. This does slightly confirm that Lola is one of the daughters too.
I have to wonder how Pekoms will survive this. Perhaps the Fishmen & Merfolk under the sea at the moment?
Bege's son... so weird.

Welp, Caesar's screwed.
"The candy man can cause he uses his powers to turn you into candy, then eat you". Wait, wasn't the villain in the fourth movie also a candy man?

I'm curious at the full extent of Brulee's powers. A couple chapters ago, it showed she turned into Luffy (complete with his Gum Gum powers), and here it looks like she turned a bunch of animals into lookalikes of the Straw Hats (along with Carrot and Pudding).

Luigi87

I really love chapters like these, that cover what's going on elsewhere. Particularly enjoyed seeing what happened to Caesar Clown.
... Still dunno who to trust yet.

As for when I started, um... I started watching strictly the anime when the manga was in Enies Lobby. I didn't rush through it originally though until I got to Skypiea. Then at that point I eventually caught up (at this point the anime was beginning Enies Lobby, lol). I watched solely the anime until Thriller Bark ended, then I started reading the manga from there (the chapter that had just come out was Luffy entering Impel Down).
I haven't since seen any of the anime since the middle of the Marineford arc, but eventually I plan to change that (I started rewatching the anime on CR, but stopped just before the fight with Enel/Eneru).

chapter out,although with a subpar translation

this chapter seems to put to sleep the whole "pudding is a traitor" theory

Not yet Maju!
Although it's basically confirmed that Big Mom went behind Pudding's back.

No break next week! Woo!

-Dat Zeff flashback, I'm honestly wondering if we'll see him, either as a hostage or maybe an invite to the Wedding as a cook? Big Mom already has cooks so maybe not.
-Was Pekmons playing the long con in Big Mom's crew for Zou and the Poneglyphs? We know how loyal the minks are after that incident with Raizou, and it might explain why other minks have made lives in Big Mom's territory as well. On the other hand he seems to genuinely believe Big Mam is on his side...
-Capone's kid is fucking terrifying
-Lola confirmed as Big Mom's daughter! Will she make an appearance too?
-Caesar is fucked. That candy guy has a really cool design though.
-So is this a cloning or mirror ability? What is going onnnnnnnnnnn. Whoever is doing it knows that Pudding is involved with the Straw Hats, hence the clone of her on the last page.

Just realized something...they know pudding tried to help the strawhats. Or else why would she be a copy there.

-im legit feeling bad for sanji, he seems really worried about his hands like more than usual that flashback only reinforced it.

-luffys an idiot of course lol he literally brought together all the clones.

-ceaser is an odd one. He honestly might be the cause for a big mom vs kaido showdown if big mom doesn't go down this arc.

-anybody else really digging these designs of big moms crew? Lol a lick lick human

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think the biggest surprise this chapter was that

Caesar is a hedonistic hack.

What is Capone even trying to do? Also, I didn't think that he'd have a kid lol

Looks like we're getting more answers about the forest next week.

-ceaser is an odd one. He honestly might be the cause for a big mom vs kaido showdown if big mom doesn't go down this arc.

I've been thinking this for a while too. Caesar was dragged out of Dressrosa, when it would've made more sense to the story at the time if he had stayed. Kaido is going to want Caesar eventually.

Geg

Only way Pekoms survives is if Jinbe (likely) or maybe Tamago (unlikely) saves him. Otherwise he's probably dead

Have a hard time believing Pekoms is gone. Unless oda is absolutely trying to hype up Capone(which could be possible) I doubt he'd kill off what was supposedly one of big moms big shots just like that.

..or maybe Pekoms was never a big shot but I find that hard to believe as well

Pekoms isn't dead.

Actually if what he said was accurately translated, Capone is probably working towards taking down Big Mom from the inside.

Loved CC in this chapter, wonder what crazyness awaits us now.

Oh and i started reading the manga on marineford, 2010, after catching up with the anime.

bjork

I want to know how the vivre card that Lola signed for Nami, will come into play.

Also, I'm guessing Cesar just remakes that poison monster to try and take out BM and co to save his own skin.

Kreed

One Piece 834:

I was assuming Pudding set up the forest trap for the Straw Hats but this chapter is giving her a alibi that could pan out (Sanji not knowing anything is still a problem though). Did we ever find out who that strange character was in one of the panels at the end of chapter 830? It's possible that's how Big Mom's crew has been getting their info, but if that was the case they should know where Brooke and Pedro are currently.

One armed Jinbe is gonna save Pekoms, it's so obvious with the sharks and stuff. If not him then certainly his crew.
Wonder how he got away, or maybe all the sharks are already on Jinbe's side?

Majukun

One Piece 834:

I was assuming Pudding set up the forest trap for the Straw Hats but this chapter is giving her a alibi that could pan out (Sanji not knowing anything is still a problem though). Did we ever find out who that strange character was in one of the panels at the end of chapter 830? It's possible that's how Big Mom's crew has been getting their info, but if that was the case they should know where Brooke and Pedro are currently.

not really,she has met him once,BEFORE she met the strawhats,then she was counting on meet him again before the wedding,but instead she's being carried around and closely guarded by tamago and co.,so it's normal that sanji doens't know yet,she hasn't been able to meet him yet at all since she talked with luffy
One armed Jinbe is gonna save Pekoms, it's so obvious with the sharks and stuff. If not him then certainly his crew.
Wonder how he got away, or maybe all the sharks are already on Jinbe's side?

?
has been stated in this very chapter that jinbe retired his request to leave the crew because he didn't want to "pay the price"
my theory is that the crown head in the wheel stands for fishman island (or neptune himself),and i can see jinbe refusing to put the island in danger even if it means staying

Red Fire

When Brook asks "How could they have gathered all this intel so effortlessly?!", the same panel shows flowers looking at the two suspiciously.. i would say that's a hint. I think the 'living objects' just report it to the higher ups since they are everywhere. So now that those 2 have been seen, maybe next chapter big mom's folks will know about them too.

Also Capone's son is fucking gross 😂😂

?
has been stated in this very chapter that jinbe retired his request to leave the crew because he didn't want to "pay the price"
my theory is that the crown head in the wheel stands for fishman island (or neptune himself),and i can see jinbe refusing to put the island in danger even if it means staying
It was also stated this chapter that we have every reason to be suspicious of that newspaper. As Brook says, that doesn't sound like something (backing down) Jinbe would do at all.

I'm really wondering who's been leaking the information about the Strawhats to Big Mom now. Maybe it's that invisible guy from Thriller Bark?

It looks like Capone has an ulterior motive since Pekoms warned him not to underestimate Mama. I'm thinking Jinbei will save him as other posters have mentioned although what happened to Jinbei since his talk with Mama is unknown at this point.

Big Mom's dream is actually kinda sweet despite all the horrible things she's done. All she wants is a tea party with everyone her size :(

I'm guessing that mysterious rabbit in the woods could be behind the multiplying of the Strawhats as well.

Majukun

It was also stated this chapter that we have every reason to be suspicious of that newspaper. As Brook says, that doesn't sound like something (backing down) Jinbe would do at all.

it doesn't sound tlike jinbe to do that for cowardice,that is what the newspaper is saying

Kreed

One Piece 834:

not really,she has met him once,BEFORE she met the strawhats,then she was counting on meet him again before the wedding,but instead she's being carried around and closely guarded by tamago and co.,so it's normal that sanji doens't know yet,she hasn't been able to meet him yet at all since she talked with luffy

Not sure if you remember but about a month ago there was an argument that Pudding may have not actually met Sanji due to how she was describing him to the Straw Hats. That said, it's "possible" she's just been tied up all this time either due to the wedding and/or Big Mom's crew knowing she was going to help the Straw Hats, but I find it hard to believe she couldn't have gotten a message to Sanji considering we're talking about at least an entire day passing since she talked to Luffy.

Majukun

One Piece 834:

Not sure if you remember but about a month ago there was an argument that Pudding may have not actually met Sanji due to how she was describing him to the Straw Hats. That said, it's "possible" she's just been tied up all this time either due to the wedding and/or Big Mom's crew knowing she was going to help the Straw Hats, but I find it hard to believe she couldn't have gotten a message to Sanji considering we're talking about at least an entire day passing since she talked to Luffy.

and the argument doesn't exist anymore since she confirmed it this chapter to a bunch of people she has no interest in lying to
What? No it's not.
If that's true then why was Jinbe being mocked by those people reading the newspaper?

badly worded on my part
the newspaper is implying his was an act of cowardice,and for that brook says it is unlike the jinbe they know...but the fact that he is still in the crew is most likely true,it makes little sense to stay he is when it's not,all you give him is the advantge of still being able to be treat like a member from the people and everyone who was not there when he is not.

I am still suspicious about the meeting with Sanji (when Sanji talked to Reiju he seemed to not like the idea of marrying her the least, which contradicts the "romantic" tale she told Luffy) but it seems she was really trying to help the Strawhats but the Big Mom crew is guarding her to avoid contact.

Anyway, she could have at least told them to not got to the woods, but I guess it's not her fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom