• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh looks like i missed some interesting stuff in this thread the past few days. Be nice to fellow posters guys and learn to not take the critique of a thing you enjoy as a personal attack.

Big One

Banned
Huh looks like i missed some interesting stuff in this thread the past few days. Be nice to fellow posters guys and learn to not take the critique of a thing you enjoy as a personal attack.
I don't take it personally, just befuddled by some of Veek's points. It's like every aspect of One Piece he has to dissect and criticism for some reason, while ignoring other series for having the same exact issues such as Star Wars (which he wrote a lengthy post about, praising The Force Awakens and it was actually well-written). It's kind of biased towards one series when you complain about an aspect of it when another series that does the same type of stuff gets scott free from criticism.

I wonder if Moria has changed after his defeat at Marineford or if he still has the same mindset as ever. There is no way he is not turning up at Wano at this point and I'd love to get some young-and-badass-Moria flashbacks.
Kinda feel bad for him because he used to be so awesome.

Ray Down

Banned
It's a romanization for "gum". And also a pun :p

Japan loves there puns.

I wonder if Moria has changed after his defeat at Marineford or if he still has the same mindset as ever. There is no way he is not turning up at Wano at this point and I'd love to get some young-and-badass-Moria flashbacks.

I imagine he just as focused as ever to get back at him for what Kaido did, I beat he would willingly accept a truce with Luffy to have a shot at taking him down.

It would be hilarious to see a bulky Moria in contrast to that fat goofball.

Veelk

Banned
I don't take it personally, just befuddled by some of Veek's points. It's like every aspect of One Piece he has to dissect and criticism for some reason, while ignoring other series for having the same exact issues such as Star Wars (which he wrote a lengthy post about, praising The Force Awakens and it was actually well-written). It's kind of biased towards one series when you complain about an aspect of it when another series that does the same type of stuff gets scott free from criticism.

That kind of assumes that an aspect has a universal affect, regardless how it's done. I mean, "adapts the style of another thing" is a really broad technique that can be used in a number of ways, and I think SW does it generally better in the case of the Jedi than how OP does it in the case of Moria, which is my argument for it. I feel the style that the Jedi use as a stronger sense of purpose within it's universe than Moria looking like he does just...cuz. I mean, my complaint was never that Oda shouldn't use real world styles in his work, just that there should be an sense of internal purpose to it, something I feel many series do far better.

But, fine, for the sake of argument, lets say their implementation is identical, so they should have identical effects.

You're assuming that just because I like it in SW, that must mean I should logically like it in all other series. Or else if I dislike it in OP, I should dislike it in SW. I don't agree with that, because when I analyze series it's not like I have a mental list of things I like that I tick off. A series presents what it has, and I do my best to figure out why and how it works the way it does. What effect it has on me and why it has that effect.

As a result, I would argue that, say, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has a similar lack of verisimilitude as OP, if not as weak. But I am completely unbothered by it. Which I myself found strange and unusual, because in 99% of cases, verisimilitude is tantamount to what I see as good writing. But not in Gurren Lagann, because it just works differently on a holistic level.

Alternatively, you could argue that it's simple irrationality, which is fine. It's not like that's new news, as people are by provably irrational anyway, and it's not like art is exactly a science for which we are seeking as objective an answer as possible. Rationality is a noble thing to strive for, but it's not the be-all-end-all, so if you want to say I'm 'biased'....Okay? That doesn't, by itself, diminish my arguments, so it's not a label I'm particularly concerned with avoiding in this context, if you want to apply it to me.

TheFlow

Banned
That kind of assumes that an aspect has a universal affect, regardless how it's done. I mean, "adapts the style of another thing" is a really broad technique that can be used in a number of ways, and I think SW does it generally better in the case of the Jedi than how OP does it in the case of Moria, which is my argument for it. I feel the style that the Jedi use as a stronger sense of purpose within it's universe than Moria looking like he does just...cuz. I mean, my complaint was never that Oda shouldn't use real world styles in his work, just that there should be an sense of internal purpose to it, something I feel many series do far better.

But, fine, for the sake of argument, lets say their implementation is identical, so they should have identical effects.

You're assuming that just because I like it in SW, that must mean I should logically like it in all other series. Or else if I dislike it in OP, I should dislike it in SW. I don't agree with that, because when I analyze series it's not like I have a mental list of things I like that I tick off. A series presents what it has, and I do my best to figure out why and how it works the way it does. What effect it has on me and why it has that effect.

As a result, I would argue that, say, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has a similar lack of verisimilitude as OP, if not as weak. But I am completely unbothered by it. Which I myself found strange and unusual, because in 99% of cases, verisimilitude is tantamount to what I see as good writing. But not in Gurren Lagann, because it just works differently on a holistic level.

Alternatively, you could argue that it's simple irrationality, which is fine. It's not like that's new news, as people are by provably irrational anyway, and it's not like art is exactly a science for which we are seeking as objective an answer as possible. Rationality is a noble thing to strive for, but it's not the be-all-end-all, so if you want to say I'm 'biased'....Okay? That doesn't, by itself, diminish my arguments, so it's not a label I'm particularly concerned with avoiding in this context, if you want to apply it to me.
please leave this thread. not even talking about one piece anymore

Veelk

Banned
Veelk if you're really asking advice, I'll give it: it's all about proportion. Your presence in this thread is considered to be a negative one because, regardless of how polite or neutral you try to be, your comments are always critical. Now there's nothing wrong with criticism, but when a poster can be associated with almost exclusively critical sentiment, they're going to be treated as a bit of a paraiah in a thread comprised mainly of fans.

I'd suggest mixing it up. If you want to contribute to the thread regularly or semi-regularly, try to achieve something closer to a 50%-critical-post rate. It doesn't need to be 50% praise, but at least non-critical commentary. It'll be difficult I know, since by your own admission you don't really like One Piece anyway, but it'll go a long way towards softening your perception. If you don't wanna do that, you'll just have to accept that you'll be coming off as the villain more often than not.

Based on TheFlow's post, I felt it was time I replied to this. It's interesting to me how you put in the qualifier of "if you want to". Do I? I mean, usually, like anyone, I'd rather be liked than disliked. But honestly, I am divided on that feeling here, in this place.

I have no issues with most people here, from you to LonelyGreyWolf to BigOne and even warmed up to blackleg-Sanji1, since even if you don't agree with me, you can be...you know, civil. And if you think I'm being overly rude or negative, atleast you tell me politely to knock it off, and I do so to the best of my abilities in that case. We've had disagreements in the past before, but honestly, all I ask is to be treated with the basic decency and politeness you'd give anyone. For that, I'm happy to adjust as best I can to be less turbulent, so long as I feel I'm expressing my opinions. If nothing else, for that, I'm happy to post less and atleast try to point out positives or atleast more neutral comments as I go along.

But for posters like TheFlow, who feel free to just be shitty to me on the basis of not liking what I post, I have the direct opposite feeling. They obviously don't like my presence here, so all I want to do is post more, post more negative posts, out of sheer spite. It's childish, I guess, but it puts me in such a 'fuck it' frame of mind. I won't do that, because it's not fair to the rest of you. I think the more practical option would just be to post less (I only pop in here occasionally now. BigOne just decided to start a conversation on one of my remarks, leading to me posting a bit more), but TheFlow and posters like him make me feel a lot less bad about playing the villain when I feel negative remarks are warranted.

TheFlow

Banned
Based on TheFlow's post, I felt it was time I replied to it. It's interesting to me how you put in the qualifier of "if you want to. Like anyone, I'd rather be liked than disliked. But honestly, I am divided on that feeling here, in this place.

I have no issues with most people here, from Tat to LonelyGreyWolf to BigOne and even warmed up to blackleg-Sanji1, since even if they don't agree with me, they can be...you know, cordial. And if you think I'm being overly rude or negative, atleast you tell me politely to knock it off, and I do so to the best of my abilities in that case. We've had disagreements in the past before, but honestly, all I ask is to be treated with the basic decency and politeness you'd give anyone. For that, I'm happy to adjust as best I can to be less turbulent, so long as I feel I'm expressing my opinions. If nothing else, for that, I'm happy to post less and atleast try to point out positives or atleast more neutral comments as I go along.

But for posters like TheFlow, who feel free to just be shitty to me on the basis of not liking what I post, I have the direct opposite feeling. They obviously don't like my presence here, so all I want to do is post more, post more negative posts, out of sheer spite. I won't do that, because it's not fair to the rest of you. But these guys make me feel a lot less bad about playing the villain when I feel negative remarks are warranted.
yea I am not reading another post full of hot air.

here is a the manga OT thread for you. have fun toodles
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189472&page=116

Here we are going far to save all that we love
If we give all we got we will make it thru
Here we are like a star shining bright on the world todayyyyy, make evil go away!.

It was getting alil tense we needed a song

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
You're lucky I forgot how it goes lol

The islands in the south are warm Paina-purupuru~ their heads get really hot And they're all idiots
The islands in the north are cold Hyakkoi-koikoi~ their heads shiver all around And they're all idiots
The islands in the east are wet Paina-purupuru~ their heads get all soggy And they're all idiots
The islands in the west are dry Hyakkoi-koikoi~ the sand fills their heads And they're all idiots

The islands in the south are warm Paina-purupuru~ their heads get really hot And they're all idiots
The islands in the north are cold Hyakkoi-koikoi~ their heads shiver all around And they're all idiots
The islands in the east are wet Paina-purupuru~ their heads get all soggy And they're all idiots
The islands in the west are dry Hyakkoi-koikoi~ the sand fills their heads And they're all idiots
Glorious! Lol

Veelk

Banned
Here's a noncrtiical discussion point: how do you think the Emperor's got to be as strong as they are?

The Emperor's are the strongest forces on the planet. The entire Marine Army and the Shichibukai are all assigned to act as a counter to those 4 people, and even then they only match up to them individually, as Marineford brought brought everybody up against JUST Whitebeard.

That makes any individual Emperor several magnitudes stronger than the strongest people in the world. How does that happen?

smurfx

get some go again
Here's a noncrtiical discussion point: how do you think the Emperor's got to be as strong as they are?

The Emperor's are the strongest forces on the planet. The entire Marine Army and the Shichibukai are all assigned to act as a counter to those 4 people, and even then they only match up to them individually, as Marineford brought brought everybody up against JUST Whitebeard.

That makes any individual Emperor several magnitudes stronger than the strongest people in the world. How does that happen?
all the strong pirates keep fighting each other until you get some people who get strong enough to force other powerful pirates to join them or die.

Rebel Leader

I assume she has a bunch of smaller crews under her as well. Honestly I'm still trying to figure out how Blackbeard is one because even tho I'm TeamBlackbeard his crew is ehh still growing.

The minks said that his battle with the Whitebeard pirates after the War of the best got the world calling him a yonko after emerging victorious.

The minks said that his battle with the Whitebeard pirates after the War of the best got the world calling him a yonko after emerging victorious.
Ah crap I forgot they beat those guys..shit I'm sorry I doubted Blackbeard my apologies I mean he is going to kill shanks someday so I should be ashamed

Rebel Leader

Ah crap I forgot they beat those guys..shit I'm sorry I doubted Blackbeard my apologies I mean he is going to kill shanks someday so I should be ashamed

That's not your fault. That's fully on oda.

He really didn't show Whitebeard Division Commanders being anything noteworthy.

Hopefully he rectifies that.

Here we are going far to save all that we love
If we give all we got we will make it thru
Here we are like a star shining bright on the world todayyyyy, make evil go away!.

It was getting alil tense we needed a song

Oh god that was so good, then they went live-action.

I see veelk still dislikes one piece.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Well, obviously they're strong as individuals, but I think what makes an emperor's presence as threatening as it is is overall influence. It wasn't just whitebeard they were up against in the war, it was his enormous fleet. Similarly, Big Mom has her huge alliance of families, and Kaido has his Smile army. Shanks seems to be the exception, with a relatively standard crew, but generally an emperor means a huge and influential force. That's probably what it takes to make it to emperor status, a goal of not just traveling the grand line, but rather focusing on consolidating power and gaining territory.

With his burgeoning fleet and eventual fishman island territorial claim, it looks like Luffy is well on his way to being an emperor himself (accidentally I'm sure), especially if he actually defeats Kaido.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really wonder what Shanks has done. He very rarely is mentioned by other characters outside of his fame and we've seen no islands under his control. Even other pirates don't seem to acknowledge him, with the exception of Kidd. Yet he showed up at Marineford and stopped the entire war with his presence, and managed to hold off Kaido and his fleet. Even his first mate sent Kizaru, an admiral, into a panic.

smurfx

get some go again
I can understand kiado, shanks, whitebeard and blackbeard.

I can't understand how big mom is in THAT group
shanks, kaidou and big mom likely came to power at the same time. they were the up and coming pirates when roger died and quickly took over the era. whitebeard was the remnant of the old era and was going to be taken over eventually. the new era has the supernovas and blackbeard and out of the supernovas luffy and maybe kidd are likely to be the ones to replace kaidou and big mom. blackbeard already took over whitebeards spot and he might get shanks spot as well.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I really wonder what Shanks has done. He very rarely is mentioned by other characters outside of his fame and we've seen no islands under his control. Even other pirates don't seem to acknowledge him, with the exception of Kidd. Yet he showed up at Marineford and stopped the entire war with his presence, and managed to hold off Kaido and his fleet. Even his first mate sent Kizaru, an admiral, into a panic.

The only things we really know about Shanks:
#1: He's good enough of a swordsman for Mihawk to consider him his rival.
#2: He has absurd Conqueror's Haki. Like, really absurd. It damaged the moby dick, and according to oda, he could have taken out all 100,000 pirates and fishmen that challenged the strawhats on fishman island rather easily.
#3: He was physically strong enough to block an attack from Whitebeard's halberd.
#4: He challenged anyone to fight him at Marineford when he came to stop the war. That included people like Garp, Sengoku, Blackbeard, the dmirals, and everyone else on the battlefield. No one accepted his challenge.

So he has absurd physical strength to clash blows with WB, he's the rival of the world's strongest swordsman (in swordsmanship), he can bring an entire army to its knees with force of will alone.

The only things we really know about Shanks:
#1: He's good enough of a swordsman for Mihawk to consider him his rival.
#2: He has absurd Conqueror's Haki. Like, really absurd. It damaged the moby dick, and according to oda, he could have taken out all 100,000 pirates and fishmen that challenged the strawhats on fishman island rather easily.
#3: He was physically strong enough to block an attack from Whitebeard's halberd.
#4: He challenged anyone to fight him at Marineford when he came to stop the war. That included people like Garp, Sengoku, Blackbeard, the dmirals, and everyone else on the battlefield. No one accepted his challenge.

So he has absurd physical strength to clash blows with WB, he's the rival of the world's strongest swordsman (in swordsmanship), he can bring an entire army to its knees with force of will alone.

He stopped Akainu's attack as well. Sengoku's the one who stopped the Navy from doing anything else though. I think Akainu would have still tried to beat Shanks if Sengoku did nothing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I don't like anime and I hate anime music -- it's mostly just trashy j-pop.

Yet I like Bink's Sake so much that I actually know the words by heart, lol.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_50 said:
Even when Brook first showed up, the song was complete. Oda thought of the lyrics first and wanted to add the melody later but he just couldn't do it, and didn't want the song to sound bad when it would eventually be featured in the anime. So he went to get the melody written first by Kohei Tanaka, a big name in the anime music field. He intended to make Thriller Bark "in a year or so" and be shown then. However, like many things in One Piece, it ended up being seen 4 or 5 years later. Oda also intended it to be a sailing song that could be included in text books but because it contains the word 'sake' it is impossible.[5]

Kouhei Tanaka, the composer who first designed and wrote this song, was asked about this in an interview, and he said that he tried to make it both lighthearted and sad at the same time.

Neat!

I almost kind of feel like she's the weakest of the emperors (in straight-up one-on-one combat). Kaido is the "strongest creature in the world", Whitebeard was the strongest man, Shanks has shown some absurd stuff - I somehow don't feel like Big Mom is going to be quite on any of their levels (partly because she's a woman and I don't really see Oda giving her a proper fight).

But being an emperor requires great influence, not just raw power. My guess is that Big Mom is personally the weakest person among the Four Emperors, but makes up for it by being in control of the largest, most powerful, and farthest-reaching organization out of all four (/ five) emperors.

Kater

Banned
Just caught up with the last two chapters and I smiled when I saw Lola. Knew she was talking of Big Mom. Hope everyone of the doubters ate their portion of crow.

I could see her having some one-hit KO fruit. Like Magellan or Joker.

Just caught up with the last two chapters and I smiled when I saw Lola. Knew she was talking of Big Mom. Hope everyone of the doubters ate their portion of crow.

Iirc, that's not Lola.

But yeah, Lola is definitely her daughter. Or at least the daughter of one of her crew members.

Ray Down

Banned
Man really like the designs for the OP Gold special before the movie.

Hopefully we see enough treasure hunting shenanigans form the crew.

I could see her having some one-hit KO fruit. Like Magellan or Joker.

Nah not her besides from what people are saying like she ins't missing a tooth, at least in the trans I'm reading Sanji says well they do look alike plus Scanlators have said its ain't her.

So yeah sister and as I said 2 weeks ago Sanji struck GOLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom