• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Naruto's an example of what can go wrong if you try to explain every aspect of your universe. Eventually you hit one or more explanations that fall flat.

The issues with Naruto have more to deal with the explanations themselves and plot direction than anything else.

The issues with Naruto have more to deal with the explanations themselves and plot direction than anything else.

This. They were just stupid explanations. You can explain something without it being "concrete". That's the basis of mythology. Instead we got space aliens that introduced chakra to the world or some nonsense like that

The thing about something like Twin Peaks, or to use an anime example, Evangelion, is that the answers to the mystery never really mattered. They're basically mood setters, a way of making the audience feel off balance and anxious as we go through this weird esoteric work.

One Piece is not set up like this. One Piece basically has to answer most of its set up mysteries or else the work doesn't really pay off anything.

Not letting us know what the One Piece is is out of the question. Not answering the Void Century question pretty much invalidates Robin's whole arc. Sure, Oda could leave some stuff ambiguous, but most of what's been set up is too intrinsically linked to the story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This. They were just stupid explanations. You can explain something without it being "concrete". That's the basis of mythology. Instead we got space aliens that introduced chakra to the world or some nonsense like that

The entire final fight was completely unneeded. Kaguya and all that shit was completely pointless in the grand scheme of things.

caliph95

While I wouldn't use the word authenticity I agree with Veelk that I don't need explanation for everything. Somethings are best left to speculate or don't need more.

People bring up Naruto and people say is the writing I agree but did we really needed to know where chakra and the eye powers came from. Did we needed Alien (extradimensinol but whatever) ninjas in the story.

Like I would be happy to find out about the void century but I don't give a shit about devil fruits if it makes sense

caliph95

Oda: Actually Devil fruits are a piece from the devil who is a alien space pirate and haki was devoloped by his race qnd all will of D are descendants from him

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oda: Actually Devil fruits are a piece from the devil who is a alien space pirate and haki was devoloped by his race qnd all will of D are descendants from him

He'd pull it off just fine.

The biggest sin Naruto performs is wasting that amazing world set forth in the first few chapters. These are child soldiers with low level super powers for the most part expected to serve and die a for their mission, usually given out by feuding nobles and rich people around the world and doled out by the head ninja. Think back on how damaged Kakashi is and the words he uses to describe this stuff.

They even introduce a character in Pein who is the one fighting back against this system but by then all the Ninjas are just super heroes who fight the bad guys. The Sauce also gives lip service to this notion after his fight with his brother but gets sidetracked, only bringing it up again in the finale when Naruto has, you know, already SOLVED that problem.

caliph95

Do we really needed to what Devil fruits are

Like it's not bad if we find out but I don't care if they are anything more than some magic fruits that exists

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never claimed to know Oda's mind but there's just no way the Devil's Fruit/The Void Century/The World Government aren't all connected some way.

caliph95

He'd pull it off just fine.

The biggest sin Naruto performs is wasting that amazing world set forth in the first few chapters. These are child soldiers with low level super powers for the most part expected to serve and die a for their mission, usually given out by feuding nobles and rich people around the world and doled out by the head ninja. Think back on how damaged Kakashi is and the words he uses to describe this stuff.

They even introduce a character in Pein who is the one fighting back against this system but by then all the Ninjas are just super heroes who fight the bad guys. The Sauce also gives lip service to this notion after his fight with his brother but gets sidetracked, only bringing it up again in the finale when Naruto has, you know, already SOLVED that problem.
Is it solved? Don't they still do that from u seen in Boruto they still have the exams with Naruto bithcing about revolutionary technology that makes jutsu easier and safer thanks to taking little chakra and there are still ninja kids and don't they still take missions

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've never claimed to know Oda's mind but there's just no way the Devil's Fruit/The Void Century/The World Government aren't all connected some way.

The Void Century and The World Government are 1000% connected, I'll eat my sneakers if they aren't.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Void Century and The World Government are 1000% connected, I'll eat my sneakers if they aren't.

They clearly are. The fact the WG was founded when the Void Century ended so clearly something happened that lead to their creation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is it solved? Don't they still do that from u seen in Boruto they still have the exams with Naruto bithcing about revolutionary technology that makes jutsu easier and safer thanks to taking little chakra and there are still ninja kids and don't they still take missions

I haven't bothered with Boruto yet beyond the initial bit of the manga but Naruto (and Sauce for that matter) are strong enough that they are uncheckable by the other ninja villages, which were all united by the war at the end of Naruto anyways. With the ninjas all united they have all the power over the feudal lords so it isn't going to be a bunch of cold wars anymore.

They've basically turned from mercenary assassins and spies to mercenary Justice League is the real comparison.

Xux

If your fiance(e) says no to ice cream cake at the wedding maybe rethink getting married to them.

Wait, unless I missed it, I haven't seen much in here about
PEDDROOOOOOOO

Or does no one care, lol. It seems like you guys read the new chapters way earlier than me - I just wait until Viz releases the new Shonen Jump on Mondays - so I guess I'm behind.

Ray Down

Banned
PEDDROOOOOOOO

Or does no one care, lol. It seems like you guys read the new chapters way earlier than me - I just wait until Viz releases the new Shonen Jump on Mondays - so I guess I'm behind.

We had talk about Pedro, mainly if Oda has it in him to keep someone dead.

Chase17

PEDDROOOOOOOO

I am devastated by Pedro's "death". He was the chosen one who recommended stopping Pudding and since she ended up meeting Sanji she is having a mental collapse.

And Oda has made smoking look cool again. Shame on him!

Ray Down

Banned
I am devastated by Pedro's "death". He was the chosen one who recommended stopping Pudding and since she ended up meeting Sanji she is having a mental collapse.

And Oda has made smoking look cool again. Shame on him!

Pedro would have ruined good comedy and drama, worst nakama right next to Gastino and Monet.

LotusHD

Banned
It's post time skip One Piece. People die when they're killed. I don't see Monet and Virgo still around

Yea, on one hand, it's One Piece, so you never know...

But at the same time, he already pulled this suicide trick earlier in the series, sacrificed for their future, so I wouldn't be surprised if Oda actually went through with it rather than undercut the moment later on.

But again... it's One Piece.

If your fiance(e) says no to ice cream cake at the wedding maybe rethink getting married to them.

I'll marry them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
While I avoid crewmate theories, I do speculate on major plot points.

What if Devil Fruits were an invention by the mystery civilization in the Void Century, and the WG saw their immense power and added the swimming weakness while at the same time they flooded the world. That way they would be "nerfed".

While I avoid crewmate theories, I do speculate on major plot points.

What if Devil Fruits were an invention by the mystery civilization in the Void Century, and the WG saw their immense power and added the swimming weakness while at the same time they flooded the world. That way they would be "nerfed".

The world seems pretty fine if it's supposed to be "flooded".

Top Bottom