• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

LotusHD

Banned
I have begun this long and arduous journey.

Welcome!

ec8ade5a7f82a502c28937734ccaa17d2f83fc36_hq.gif

You got 800+ chapters to get through, but I'm frankly envious of you, enjoy!

how often do chapters come out? monthly?

this isnt gunna be a berserk all over again is it...

also need reading music, got the windwaker soundtrack going, will probs do phantom hourglass too, what else inspires a sea faring adventure?

LotusHD

Banned

Nope, it's weekly, though the author, Eiichiro Oda, does take an appointed break every couple of weeks. It's for his health, not much we can do about it, rather have him healthy than not, etc. etc.

It just happens to be a very long story he's telling, hence the length. But yes, it is not like Berserk or HxH, where they're infamous for their hiatuses.

Euphony

Banned

also need reading music, got the windwaker soundtrack going, will probs do phantom hourglass too, what else inspires a sea faring adventure?

For reading music I'd recommend looking up the opening and ending songs for the One Piece anime. They do a really good job at setting the mood for whatever arc they're used during. Plus We Are! is a classic. I can see them getting a bit repetitive on repeat though, so I'd also recommend something without lyrics for the longer sessions, like the Wind Waker OST as you mentioned. If I think of anything else I'll be sure to mention it!

Some beginner advice I'd like to mention is to pace yourself, even if you're enjoying what you're reading. 877 chapters is a lot and that number is only going to go up with time. Who know what chapter we're going to be on when you finally catch up. If you make your goal to catch up to the rest of us instead of taking your time and enjoying what you're reading, you're going to end up missing a lot of the little things that makes reading One Piece so special. Another piece of advice I'd like to add is to stay away from this OT, or at least try to. It may be tempting to read what everyone is talking about, but what may be basic knowledge for regulars here are most likely going to be huge spoilers for you, so try and keep your time here at a minimum. With that said, do feel free to stop by once in awhile and update us on how you're progressing! I'm probably not alone when I say that I'd love to hear your thoughts on things that you've read and what you think is going to happen. So sit back and enjoy the journey!

On another note, it may be a bit late but I really enjoyed your long analysis post Lotus! I agree that Oda is in a tighter spot than usual with regards on how this arc should end. I hope that Big Mom keeps her power and status after this arc because she deserves it. So far she's the strongest person that the Straw Hats have faced and for her to back off after everything that they've done to her over a cake would be a poor way to end things. I'm still not too sure how to feel about her passing out after eating the cake either though but it does seem like the most likely outcome. Having such a great arc ending with a fizzle instead of a bang would be a pretty big disappointment, but I have faith in Oda that he'll find some way to bring things together.

I actually recently had a friend who started through the series over again - he'd previously stopped somewhere around Water 7 - after doing the same with Naruto. The difference in reaction has been stunning, plus it's amusing to see his observations and guesses at stuff that, from my perspective, has already happened.

Seeing the creation of a devil fruit blew his fucking mind.

NSESN

Zelda music seems like a good bet. Both series screams adventure.

NSESN

Thursday is a national holiday here but no chapter :(.
At least MHA arc is about to finish and Souma best character is back.

NSESN

Mha is overrated as fuck as this new shonen to enter the big 3 that said it's still good

Dekus a bitch

I don't think it is overrated, but it is overhyped. People hype everything so much that they get disappointed more easily.
I blame the people that tries to make it the saviour of shounen, when shounen doesn't need saving and only brings more animosity from people that don't like the series.

caliph95

I don't think it is overrated, but it is overhyped. People hype everything so much that they get disappointed more easily.
I blame the people that tries to make it the saviour of shounen, when shounen doesn't need saving and only brings more animosity from people that don't like the series.
Anime been saved too many times
Kill la kill
Attack on titans
Re zero
One punch man

All saved anime, it's always seem to need saving

I shelved MHA awhile back.

I don't know, something about the setup and the setting and the characters didn't really grab me. It felt like there wasn't any agency propelling the story forward.

Of course, to each their own, but it wasn't for me.

Ogodei

I don't know how Re:ZERO could be considered a savior. It fell into standard light novel traps so damn fast.

Plus i feel like they could have gone with a zanier angle for the gimmick. More of the protagonist purposely offing himself because of a bad roll (to play up the save-scumming angle of the gimmick).

Kind of like Groundhog Day. When death has no impact it ceases to be fearful.

This is true doesn't help I think the side characters are better than the main to the point where your avatar should be main

LotusHD

Banned

I kinda overhyped it in the past in that I said this could've easily been a part of the big 3 if it came out around the same time as them. And I mean, it still could, it's easily more consistent than Bleach, and probably won't fall into the same pitfalls that Naruto did. But all the same, I've cooled on it since. I dunno.

Anime been saved too many times
Kill la kill
Attack on titans
Re zero
One punch man

All saved anime, it's always seem to need saving

It irks me so much when people are serious when they say something is saving anime. That said, I loved all of those anime you listed. OPM past its first season however is kind of boring me though nowadays...

Oh god.

I shelved MHA awhile back.

I don't know, something about the setup and the setting and the characters didn't really grab me. It felt like there wasn't any agency propelling the story forward.

Of course, to each their own, but it wasn't for me.

Yea I understand these kind of complaints nowadays tbh

I don't know how Re:ZERO could be considered a savior. It fell into standard light novel traps so damn fast.

Plus i feel like they could have gone with a zanier angle for the gimmick. More of the protagonist purposely offing himself because of a bad roll (to play up the save-scumming angle of the gimmick).

I liked Re:Zero so damn much, one of the best shows I saw in its respective season

This is true doesn't help I think the side characters are better than the main to the point where your avatar should be main

Yea I tried to be nice about Deku, but yea, his friends are so much more engaging tbh

caliph95

I'm not basing it on what was good but the overly hyped series that people proclaimed "saved anime", should have added erased

Ogodei

I enjoyed Re:Zero too, it just wasn't as unique as advertised, imo. But again, that could just be me as a fan of Groundhog Day going in with a certain expectation about a show where death is a reset button.

Top Bottom